Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Someone mentioned Clint Hocking as to the key reason Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is so drat good and I just beat it and looked at the credits and they weren't kidding: he was the lead level designer, creative director, AND wrote the drat game. Dude should be as prolific as Hideo Kojima. What took him so long to make another game after Far Cry 2 and why does it have to be another Watch Dogs AND for UbiSoft? :cry:

Well, the Hocking story gets even weirder. He left Ubisoft after FC2 and did a short stint as an indie dev. However, he got some pretty good job offers before he good get anything off the ground. In the past decade, dude has held positions at Lucas Arts and Valve. Great companies with the potential to make awesome games, but also notorious for not actually getting projects off the ground. I'm glad he's back at Ubisoft, to be honest, because he's one of the few designers with a proven trackrecord of taking their formula into wild places and it means there will actually be a game with his name on it.

Mind you, during that in-between he also served as the writer of a really good column on game design in the UK. In fact, he's credited with some of the first use of the term ludonarrative dissonance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

christmas boots posted:

Bought it last night because of this thread.

Me too, and I don't regret the decision at all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Holy hell, the Swift Platform sequence in Control plays a lot better when you use their difficulty customization to just turn on one-hit kills for the enemies. Getting through it in one slightly-tense run feels like it really nails the awesome stylish mood they were going for, rather than growing to hate it while slogging through fifteen tries over multiple days like I did the first time around.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I played Control with a trainer so it seems I got the Intended Accessibility Experience from the start :smug:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I absolutely adore how the Board talks, especially the one call where they’re like poo poo okay we can’t actually figure out how to communicate this, just ignore this call

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

I played Control with a trainer so it seems I got the Intended Accessibility Experience from the start :smug:

I've generally been playing with 50% damage absorption this time around and it's just immensely more fun. You still have to be careful, especially starting around the midway point, but it feels way closer to what I'd expect as the standard difficulty option if it had actual Normal and Hard settings.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Retro Futurist posted:

I was waiting for the dlc to all come out so I just reinstalled to finish it up. Should I do them one at a time or should I at least go get Surge before doing Foundation

Preferred order seems to be AWE, then Foundation. And I believe you need to start AWE to even get Surge to show up. I somehow managed to get 1-2 DLC crafting components to drop early (as well as a bunch of DLC tier 6 mods and such) but Surge is a no-show.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ruffian Price posted:

The strongest OoP is CheatEngine

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've generally been playing with 50% damage absorption this time around and it's just immensely more fun. You still have to be careful, especially starting around the midway point, but it feels way closer to what I'd expect as the standard difficulty option if it had actual Normal and Hard settings.

About 2/3 through my play through I put the game down after getting my teeth kicked in by a boss a few dozen times. When I came back to the game they had added the Assist Mode options, and turning the damage taken down to 80% made a huge difference. I’m really glad I returned to the game, it’s very good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

I absolutely adore how the Board talks, especially the one call where they’re like poo poo okay we can’t actually figure out how to communicate this, just ignore this call

I had a big laugh at the one starting off the Foundation stuff

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really love that the Board's unique dialogue style lends itself well to (Foundation spoilers) the aforementioned thinly veiled threats feeling more vindictive. Like when the Board says "you are welcome /grateful" regarding letting you keep both powers, you know it actually means "you'd better be grateful". And when it says "Do not associate /work with The Former" there's an implied "or else".

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I really love that the Board's unique dialogue style lends itself well to (Foundation spoilers) the aforementioned thinly veiled threats feeling more vindictive. Like when the Board says "you are welcome /grateful" regarding letting you keep both powers, you know it actually means "you'd better be grateful". And when it says "Do not associate /work with The Former" there's an implied "or else".

The "or else" is pretty explicit in their first hotline call about Former during the Fridge Duty quest: "If you leave, you will be sorry/dead, and you will never work/exist in this Torn/Cosmic Reality again."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BattleSausage posted:

Me too, and I don't regret the decision at all.

Yeah, I was having a great time with it, then I died and the game told me it lost my save and sent me back about three hours of game time.

ngl that did sting a bit

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Holy hell, the Swift Platform sequence in Control plays a lot better when you use their difficulty customization to just turn on one-hit kills for the enemies. Getting through it in one slightly-tense run feels like it really nails the awesome stylish mood they were going for, rather than growing to hate it while slogging through fifteen tries over multiple days like I did the first time around.

Didn't even know this existed and I feel like a schmuck. Must've missed it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I shelved Control because it ran too poorly on my aging 970 for me to feel like I was enjoying it enough & I thought that I'd be getting a few paychecks I could use to upgrade the card before this whole pandemic thing happened :(

Maybe someday, I guess

I got it to look and run pretty well by forcing half rate vsync and enabling low latency mode in the Nvidia Control Panel, then reducing settings to medium in-game. The motion blur makes it looks really smooth even at the lower frame rate.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

TontoCorazon posted:

Didn't even know this existed and I feel like a schmuck. Must've missed it.

Its only recently been patched in. If you played it earlier you didn't have that option.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Its only recently been patched in. If you played it earlier you didn't have that option.

Well I still feel like a schmuck but not about Control anymore, thanks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

Well I still feel like a schmuck but not about Control anymore, thanks

I had the same moment on this last playthrough, I was ranting and raving about how the new DLC final boss made me hate everything in life, and somebody just went "uh, just turn on invincibility, buddy". :doh::respek::aaaaa:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Captain Hygiene posted:

I did the same thing, I died so much to random offscreen blindside hits that I couldn't even predict coming, but once I turned the damage down to 50-60% those unpredictable hits no longer killed me and allowed me to adjust on the fly it made the combat sooooo much more fun, and I already liked it.

I haven't tweaked any other settings like one hit kills or invincibility, just making it harder to die randomly to offscreen BS makes everything better and can still provide a challenge

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Control does have a "hey there's an off screen attack coming" indicator arrow but it's very small and white so it's hard to notice when you're running around swinging the camera every which way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was playing Hades and was sure I wasn't going to like the shield weapon but it basically plays like Captain America so it is pretty fun. Regular attack is a hit, there's a charge run and a throw that hits multiple enemies.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

CJacobs posted:

Control does have a "hey there's an off screen attack coming" indicator arrow but it's very small and white so it's hard to notice when you're running around swinging the camera every which way.

The attacks come super fast though, and yeah, in the chaos of a big fight you just won't see it with all the effects going on

I've been killed by the rocket launcher guys or the telepathic flying guys from out of nowhere more times then I can count

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Control does a poor job of hit feedback in general

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Retro Futurist posted:

I don’t see it when I go to the weapon forms area, I’m assuming I need to trigger something. The powers are all there but not the service weapon stuff

Yeah you need to progress into investigations but not too far to get surge

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I popped in and got it almost right away.

Also one thing that's pretty neat about AWE is how different Wake and Casper look and sound. That's some good acting

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The collectibles in Halo: ODST want to be found.

To elaborate, the AI in charge of the city the game takes place in is trying to guide you to them. It will try to get your attention by setting off car alarms and police sirens, or repeatedly raise and lower road barricades. It will also take over electronic billboards to display road signs- diversion ahead (collectible near), keep left/right, slow down (it's here, or behind a door).

And then the collectibles themselves will have audio cues- phones ring, ticket booths say "please collect your ticket" repeatedly, ATMs spew coins, as well as a general sort of beeping that increases as you get near. And they'll be highlighted when you turn on the detective mode analogue.

Pretty cool I think!

Plus there's only like 30 of them which is nothing compared to most video game scavenger hunts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Control does a poor job of hit feedback in general

It also has one-hit-kill protection (one attack cannot take Jesse from over 50% health to dead, she always has a sliver left) which, while useful, is a clear sign that the combat needs to be rebalanced.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beat Bloodwing in Borderlands 2 - I think the thing that makes Handsome Jack work as a villain is how he marries his buffoonish behaviour to his cruelty - it's obvious he's just playing the idiot to take his enemies off-guard, like in the boss in the spoiler - throughout the fight he makes a show of forgetting the elemental damage types, as Bloodwing is cycling he's saying stuff like "So, we've had fire, electricity, corrosion... I know there was another element, what was it..." Then you beat Bloodwing, he gets tranquilised - then his head explodes as Handsome Jack "remembers" the final element. "Oh yeah, that was it... explosion. Let that be a lesson to you kids, don't gently caress with me." It was a strong moment in general.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

An odd little game design pet peeve I have is when a game asks me to choose between combat effectiveness and faster meta progression, eg I have one hat that gives me +10% crit chance and another that gives +5% experience gain.

So I appreciate a little thing Hades does (which actually took me a while to notice) - when it's offering you a choice of which room to enter next, each with different rewards, they will always be either all combat upgrades or all meta-progression currencies, never a mix of the two. So you never have to choose between getting cool poo poo for this run vs unlocking more cool poo poo to get later, at least for the most common type of decision you're making on a run.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

Also one thing that's pretty neat about AWE is how different Wake and Casper look and sound. That's some good acting

The face of Wake is some Finnish model, but the voice acting is good yes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

The face of Wake is some Finnish model, but the voice acting is good yes.

Wait, they switched him out? The videos were brief and weird enough that I didn't even notice. I guess it makes sense to not have him twice in live action.

But it's also neat that he voices both characters, I think I played through both base games before realizing that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

But it's also neat that he voices both characters, I think I played through both base games before realizing that.

Control is cool with the actors- almost all the major characters are played by someone who had a major role in a past Remedy game. There’s James McCaffery (Max Payne), the guy who played Alan Wake, Jesse is played by someone from Quantum Break, the game that no one played, I know there’s more.

I really want remedy to make another game starring McCaffery, he’s so great in games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Control is cool with the actors- almost all the major characters are played by someone who had a major role in a past Remedy game. There’s James McCaffery (Max Payne), the guy who played Alan Wake, Jesse is played by someone from Quantum Break, the game that no one played, I know there’s more.

I really want remedy to make another game starring McCaffery, he’s so great in games.

Yeah, the realization that not only the characters but a lot of the actors are consistent from game to game was what really made me fall in love with the company last year. And McAffery absolutely needs more to do, he was perfect as Trench but I was hoping he'd have a larger role (in onscreen time, he's pretty fundamental to the plot).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There’s a cumulative maybe 30 minutes of Trench in the audio collectible screen if you haven’t found it, most of the video pop ups have extended versions in there.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

The collectibles in Halo: ODST want to be found.

To elaborate, the AI in charge of the city the game takes place in is trying to guide you to them. It will try to get your attention by setting off car alarms and police sirens, or repeatedly raise and lower road barricades. It will also take over electronic billboards to display road signs- diversion ahead (collectible near), keep left/right, slow down (it's here, or behind a door).

And then the collectibles themselves will have audio cues- phones ring, ticket booths say "please collect your ticket" repeatedly, ATMs spew coins, as well as a general sort of beeping that increases as you get near. And they'll be highlighted when you turn on the detective mode analogue.

Pretty cool I think!

Plus there's only like 30 of them which is nothing compared to most video game scavenger hunts.

ODST also has one of the best video game soundtracks ever.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wait, they switched him out? The videos were brief and weird enough that I didn't even notice. I guess it makes sense to not have him twice in live action.

Matthew Porreta only voiced Wake in the original game as well. That Finnish dude has always been the in game model for the character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Alan Wake was from before they started having actors play their characters. They kind of needed to do it in Quantum Break since they had a bunch of live action scenes too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Huh. I know there's been voice/visual actor divides since the first Max Payne but I just assumed Wake was always Porreta because there was a bit of live action footage in that game. What a weird way to find that out!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think it's something that most people don't realize. Like I don't think you'd necessarily confuse Porretta and Ilkka Villi for each other directly, but both of them could easily play Alan in the live action stuff.

Definitely nowhere near as severe a difference as going from Sam Lake's Max to Timothy Gibbs's version, anyway. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah...it's a much more low-key difference, Alan is less distinct enough that I probably never would've noticed on my own. Whereas something like the changing face of Max Payne is something that signals multiple alternate realities are in play.