Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So are there any good games now or did Apple‘s game thing ruin things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hello thread, I have a stupid question from someone who just switched to babby's first iphone (se). So on Android, google maps had sort of a hidden 'driving mode,' which pretty much used the navigation mode but without a destination, which was really useful for just driving around to get the lay of the streets. It used to only be accessible through Android Auto or by some obscure method of creating a shortcut of the app with the 'driving mode' option. I can't seem to find this at all in the iOS google maps, is there some secret way of activating it or did they just not bake it in?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Warbird posted:

So are there any good games now or did Apple‘s game thing ruin things?

there are still good games. i would link the ios games thread but all anyone talks about in there anymore is something called "random dice." what kind of games do you like

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh right I forgot about that thread. Did they finally move on from Battle Cats? Idk the most recent games I took a look into were Golf on Mars and the port of Slay the Spire. Both are good but it seems hard to find an engaging game, one that isn’t lousy on IAP/ads, or behind the subscription paywall. It’s a shame that Touch Arcade went down the tubes years back, I used that app all the time.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Golf Blitz 4lyfe

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am so hooked on “Good Sudoku” if you like Sudoku

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I could go for some puzzling, I’ll give it a look. Golf Blitz is just multiplayer Stickman Golf 3 right? Looks fun but I don’t think that’ll scratch the itch.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I also like Onitama and Really Bad Chess.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

here’s a neat little strategy rpg that i like a lot and don’t hear much about : occidental heroes
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/occidental-heroes/id1355481701

sci-fi alchemy text adventure
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hadean-lands/id918958300

ordia is a really slick platformer with perfect touch controls
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ordia/id1309000429

the original professor layton trilogy got some good ports
https://apps.apple.com/us/app-bundle/layton-trilogy-bundle/id1522008740

I have been enjoying this bizarre chinese soulslike game called “pascal’s wager” that doesn’t make a great first impression because of the wretched script and voice acting, but it actually has pretty good level design and if you give it a chance to settle into its weirdo groove it’s a good time
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pascals-wager/id1476649036

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If you’re into arcade style rhythm games, I highly recommend Arcaea: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/arcaea/id1205999125

The whole main Ace Attorney series is on there too, but if you like those then Ghost Trick is from the same creator and definitely worth checking out: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ghost-trick-phantom-detective/id489113377

And if you want Ace Attorney but even more anime, Danganronpa 1 and 2 recently got released on iOS: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/danganronpa-trigger-happy-hav/id1502232038

Finally, Nekoatsume is goddamn adorable: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/neko-atsume-kitty-collector/id923917775

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Soon iOS 14, are 3rd party devs able to create their own “new” widgets?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Thwomp posted:

Soon iOS 14, are 3rd party devs able to create their own “new” widgets?

I have a few 3rd party apps that have widgets now. I have Carrot weather one on my homescreen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OneDrive updated with a widget, but all it can do is rotate through pictures you have in your folder. Thrilling stuff, really. Great time to be alive.

Not that I'd ever want a widget for a cloud file service, but if I was gonna make one I would have done something more interesting than that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

priznat posted:

I am so hooked on “Good Sudoku” if you like Sudoku

Same. I had to move to arcade though as it became way too easy on impossible Good mode. I have managed to get a few top 10s the daily, very good fun.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

In the builtin Reminders app, is there a way to hide a reminder until later? For example, let's say I want to remind myself to get a new tootubrush every 3 months. Is there a way to make it stay hidden for 3 months until the next one is due?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like overcast for podcast but it’s not doing what I need now.

What I want is a playlist for sleeping, that has continuous play and will play through the list even if all the episodes have already been played.

I don’t want continuous play on my normal podcast list, and even with it on, Overcast won’t replay the episodes in my playlist unless I manually restart each one first.

Overcast is generally what I want but I’d use a second app for this playlist, is there one that will work for my sleepy time use case? I need my episodes of Sleep With Me sometimes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

In the builtin Reminders app, is there a way to hide a reminder until later? For example, let's say I want to remind myself to get a new tootubrush every 3 months. Is there a way to make it stay hidden for 3 months until the next one is due?

Just put it on a list you don’t look at.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Snowy posted:

I like overcast for podcast but it’s not doing what I need now.

What I want is a playlist for sleeping, that has continuous play and will play through the list even if all the episodes have already been played.

I don’t want continuous play on my normal podcast list, and even with it on, Overcast won’t replay the episodes in my playlist unless I manually restart each one first.

Overcast is generally what I want but I’d use a second app for this playlist, is there one that will work for my sleepy time use case? I need my episodes of Sleep With Me sometimes.

I use Downcast exactly for this. I use PocketCasts during the day and Downcast for sleeping. Downcast isn’t super pretty looking but it has a poo poo ton of options for playing, looping, etc.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Violator posted:

I use Downcast exactly for this. I use PocketCasts during the day and Downcast for sleeping. Downcast isn’t super pretty looking but it has a poo poo ton of options for playing, looping, etc.

Thanks that looks almost perfect. The only thing it’s not doing that I like in overcast is slowing the speed down a little, like 80% or so. I find that to be great for snoozing. Downcast only does 50% and it’s so extreme and lovely sounding I’m not sure why they bother.

But that’s nitpicking, downcast it is!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

tuyop posted:

Just put it on a list you don’t look at.

But then how will I remember it lol

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Why not just mark it complete? I assume you have it set to repeat every 3 months.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Have it alert you?

Just set it up as recurring, set an alarm for it, and stuff it into a list you look at.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I tried setting a 3 month repeat but marking it complete just moves the due date back 3 months, it doesn't affect the visibility. Other todo list apps I've used in the past had features like that where a task could be hidden away and then pop on to a main list when the due date came closer, I'm trying to figure out if the Apple one has a similar function.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anybody tried that "Fatsecret" calorie tracker? Setting aside the weird-rear end name, I'm looking for an alternative to MyFitnessPal which does everything I need but the interface is kind of shoddy unless you pay for a subscription to remove the ad spot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Not app centric, but you all might know. Did the new iOS update tweak facial recognition? I’m able to unlock my phone with a mask on. Don’t know if it’s going just off IPD or if it has something to do with my watch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Warbird posted:

Not app centric, but you all might know. Did the new iOS update tweak facial recognition? I’m able to unlock my phone with a mask on. Don’t know if it’s going just off IPD or if it has something to do with my watch.

Yeah I noticed this being a thing even before the update, it was weird. Perhaps eyes alone are enough to unlock?

This has been confirmed by a friend who doesn’t have an apple watch too!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I tried setting a 3 month repeat but marking it complete just moves the due date back 3 months, it doesn't affect the visibility. Other todo list apps I've used in the past had features like that where a task could be hidden away and then pop on to a main list when the due date came closer, I'm trying to figure out if the Apple one has a similar function.

put your repeating reminders on a list you won't look at or just only look at the "Today" list

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

priznat posted:

Yeah I noticed this being a thing even before the update, it was weird. Perhaps eyes alone are enough to unlock?

This has been confirmed by a friend who doesn’t have an apple watch too!

can’t be, mine recently started opening with sunglasses/no mask

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jazz Marimba posted:

Mine's done that too for quite some time, it may be that if it matches enough features (top half or bottom half of face) it unlocks.

However tonight I tried with a different mask than before and it won't unlock so who knows!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jazz Marimba posted:

Well, unless your lenses block IR, sunglasses are like normal glasses as far as FaceID is concerned.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I think they just learn your masked face over time. I've been using masks since February and around the beginning of summer it would occasionally unlock with the mask on.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Not sure how many (looks like none) would be interested in this, but I made a Mart thread trying to find other people to be part of a Fantastical/Flexibits family. We'd get Fantastical Premium for a year at $13 each town from $65, valid across all platforms the app is on.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941539

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

put your repeating reminders on a list you won't look at or just only look at the "Today" list

this doesn't do what I'm asking for

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who are you to doubt Mr. Fit It?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this doesn't do what I'm asking for
yeah, i guess it must suck to be forced to look at the "All" or "Scheduled" lists and see all your scheduled reminders.

Endless Mike posted:

Who are you to doubt Mr. Fit It?

it's cool, i had it coming for even trying

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mr. Fix It posted:

yeah, i guess it must suck to be forced to look at the "All" or "Scheduled" lists and see all your scheduled reminders.

it's cool, i had it coming for even trying

It’s a legit concern because events scheduled in the future still increase the # of tasks remaining which is a problem because some people get discouraged when they see something like 123 tasks remaining even though 120 of those are scheduled 5 months into the future. Other task managers have the option of hiding tasks until a specified date in the future which makes a lot of sense for some things that you literally can’t do until that date. Like, you can’t file your 2020 taxes right now and you probably literally can’t file them until February 2021 or whatever, but if you add that as a task to Reminders then it’s going to forever show you as having +1 tasks left to do even though you can’t do it. Reminders’s limitation is that it only has a concept of a due date. Other task managers have a concept of a due date and a start date. He/she is asking if Reminders has that and the answer is no.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any apps out there that can keep track of household chores for my kids? I'm thinking about framing an old iPad and mounting it to have the daily/weekly list of chores and their assignments on the wall in the kitchen where they can check them off as they complete them or lie about completing them.

Mostly for them, but also for my wife and I cause we can't fuckin keep track of who did what and who tried to get out what.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 29, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I usually don't get the initial release of any iOS but I put the recent one on my watch and it buggered GPS, heartrate sensor and at times burns through battery so quickly the charger can't keep up. The point release today didn't fix anything.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any apps out there that can keep track of household chores for my kids? I'm thinking about framing an old iPad and mounting it to have the daily/weekly list of chores and their assignments on the wall in the kitchen where they can check them off as they complete them or lie about completing them.

Mostly for them, but also for my wife and I cause we can't fuckin keep track of who did what and who tried to get out what.

There are apps built specifically for families but a lot of general todo apps and planning apps will work fine for a "put the list out there knowing they might lie about it". All apps like this have their own quirks and their own opinions about what they consider the "right" way to set up tasks, so you may have to try a few to find one that does what you want.

Some of the family-focused apps might have things like automatic chore rotation among several family members, but I've never used any of them myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah auto-rotation is probably a preferred option. The groan when they realize it’s their turn to do the dishwasher is oddly satisfying.

e: My kids are older, so none of the ones that accumulate points to earn stuff are appealing.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 29, 2020