Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Look, man, this show featuring faster-than-light travel just isn't realistic enough! Moreover, the androids don't act like people on a hypothetical alien world definitely would, and the children and religious zealots behave irrationally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think it's bullshit that they only released a single episode this week. I'm done with this show if the producers can't even be bothered to release their show, this is Lost all over again

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I like the doctor robot

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lumpentroll posted:

i hope ragnar is dead

He's going to come back as Mother's baby :v:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like the doctor robot

Me too. I got a very strong “ancillary Doctor Who character” vibe from him. Especially the design.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't know if they're exaggerating (this is just a quickly cut promotional short) but they're saying that Ridley Scott's was really important in "establishing this world"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgFCRTfqRwI

It certainly felt like his fingerprints were everywhere.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Karl the medical droid sorta looked like the Seegson synthetics in the Alien: Isolation game.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So there's a blood inlet but no outlet on mother. That's not how umbilicals work. Mother would have gained like 150lbs of fluid.

Also lol at dude turning in a literal Bane complete with face mask and muffled voice.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hahahaha this show is so bad I love it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

So there's a blood inlet but no outlet on mother. That's not how umbilicals work. Mother would have gained like 150lbs of fluid.

Also lol at dude turning in a literal Bane complete with face mask and muffled voice.

Sol told him to rape and then gave him magic rape powers.

Then his skull was crushed.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I was wondering how much the Mithraism in this show was related to what we know of the Roman-era cult of Mithras and based on the statue in the church, the relic of Romulus, and outright mention of Sol as "Sol Invictus" I'm gonna say a "whole lot" now.

Wonder what made some weird syncretic Hellenic-Zoroastrian religion appeal so much to 22nd century Bostonians

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Update to my last: she got more goo

Edit: then... somehow... the guy sucked up all HER goo... which made him... super powerful.... of course.,,,

EDIT2: there’s gotta be survivors from the other landers from the ark, right? Like the ones that scouted the other zones mentioned really early on? Maybe there’s more survivors scattered around the planet?

LibCrusher fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 25, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That said, I think it's pretty clear what's happening at this point.

There's some sort of entity which is trapped in that pentagon, and it's attempting to escape by creating a new body for itself. After several -- uhh -- abortive attempts (Tempest, most notably) it's finally succeeded in developing a host body for itself, gestating in Mother's body. It is the voice and the visions that people have seen on the planet, though it also exists in the Mithraic arc because the entire Mithraic religion is based around its continued existence and eventual freedom.

The only rub here are the Campions. Mother was not meant to be an atheist (Campion Sr.), and Campion Jr. was never meant to have survive. I think the implication is that he's also part human, part robot, like the new creature would be, which is how he survived the radiation. He melded with mother's tear when he was born, in the same way the rapist melded with a great deal more of Mother's fluid. It's why the creature is so terrified of him.

The backstory for the planet, etc. isn't obvious yet, but it presumably has something to do with it too. But the actual conflict is very clear at this point.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 25, 2020

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

LibCrusher posted:

Update to my last: she got more goo

Edit: then... somehow... the guy sucked up all HER goo... which made him... super powerful.... of course.,,,
I lol'd pretty hard and this was first thing that came to mind:

https://youtu.be/fg70V0Blzdk?t=128

JUICE

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I have no idea where the plot is going, but the last 2 episodes had some absolutely amazing sets. The forest chase with father and campion, the ruined spaceship. The scene with the hanging robot bodies, the desert. It all looked great.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

I think it's bullshit that they only released a single episode this week. I'm done with this show if the producers can't even be bothered to release their show, this is Lost all over again

2 released this week, looks like it ends with episode 10 next week. Also they have a season 2 in order, so my hope is they don't cliffhang our asses too much. They fuckin better not

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Well I was stoked to get home and watch new episodes but holy god 8 is terrible

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah season 2 or any pending TV season is going to take forever now.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This show is so good.

I've also got a crush on Sue. Mullets really doin it for me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
How long were the kids with Mother/Father, they seems awfully loyal awfully fast to the being that killed their parents and humanities hope for future existence.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

How long were the kids with Mother/Father, they seems awfully loyal awfully fast to the being that killed their parents and humanities hope for future existence.

Kids are dumb.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm used to being disappointed in mystery shows, but damnit, this show tricked me into watching a mystery show! I thought it was some good sci-fi where the background lore was going to be explained as needed. But it's adding new mysteries such as visions/voices, secret acrobatic people, strange precusor societies leaving notes behind, etc. that aren't nearly as thought-provoking as the questions the series started with: What does it mean to believe in something? What does it mean to be a parent/caregiver? What is the relationship between violence and religion? Just by starting a society, is Mother accidentally forming the foundation of a mythos that could one day become a religion on this planet?

You could even have the Marcus change happen without miraculous visions. Power and living in someone else's body would have made that dude crazy no matter what. Sue's plan to run away to the equator, live out a short hermetic existence and then die was terrible also, but look at the consequences of staying with a religious cult.

I will give credit though, it could easily be leaning heavy into Christian symbolism. I've never heard of Mithraicism or whatever before, but it's not a Jesus allegory like has been rehashed in so many sci-fi stories.

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah season 2 or any pending TV season is going to take forever now.

That's also why I'm disappointed it's a mystery show. It's going to be years before we get answers.

LibCrusher posted:

On the other hand, I can wait a few years if anything else like that happens in the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder if the actress that plays Mother is some sort of dancer irl because she can do some wild body acting.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This show is loving amazing and the more we learn the more I am sucked into it. Goddamn what a cool world they are building.

Quite literally in this case.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I don't mind a mysterious plot but there were way way way too many scenes where someone sees the ghost girl and then comments on it later and then nothing happens. like we didnt need it to happen to every single character

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LibCrusher posted:

I thought that was the goo, not the guy. Flexing it's muscles / reacting to Campion, whatever.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Alien head goo was Prometheus cum.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The rapist went into this show a Dark Souls character and left a Bloodborne character.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every episode of this show is more bonkers than the last in the best possible way.

I think this is my favorite show airing right now and that’s saying a lot considering how good The Boys season 2 is.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm increasingly convinced that this is a bunch of talented writers in a room and ridley scott just wanders in from time to time on breakthrough doses of mescaline and starts demanding scenes about robot cum and dodecahedrons and everyone just runs with it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i would take the opposite view that it is a bunch of writers obsessed with robot cum and dodecahedrons and ridley scott wanders in from time to time, shrugs and says "yeah i can shoot the hell out of that"

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Open Source Idiom posted:

That said, I think it's pretty clear what's happening at this point.

There's some sort of entity which is trapped in that pentagon, and it's attempting to escape by creating a new body for itself. After several -- uhh -- abortive attempts (Tempest, most notably) it's finally succeeded in developing a host body for itself, gestating in Mother's body. It is the voice and the visions that people have seen on the planet, though it also exists in the Mithraic arc because the entire Mithraic religion is based around its continued existence and eventual freedom.

The only rub here are the Campions. Mother was not meant to be an atheist (Campion Sr.), and Campion Jr. was never meant to have survive. I think the implication is that he's also part human, part robot, like the new creature would be, which is how he survived the radiation. He melded with mother's tear when he was born, in the same way the rapist melded with a great deal more of Mother's fluid. It's why the creature is so terrified of him.

The backstory for the planet, etc. isn't obvious yet, but it presumably has something to do with it too. But the actual conflict is very clear at this point.

Yup, I'm with you on this for the most part. I have a pretty good idea of where this is going at this point, but basically need a little more info to really nail all the pieces together. I'll spoiler my guess just in case some part is too close to being right.

I'm 99% sure this is an alternative history Earth at this point. Christianity (and the other Abrahamic religions) other never occurred or were crushed in their infancy. The Mithraic are a religion from at least Roman times considering they are keeping relics of Romulus in their religion. Apparently the Mitchraic holy scriptures includes blueprints for weird pieces of technology including the "Dark Photons" (lol) that power the Necromancers. My guess is that the religion is alien inspired, and thus the Necromancers are partially alien technology. The aliens themselves might have literally come down from the heavens to found the religion.

Okay, so my next leap is that this world used to be populated by a humanoid species that eventually went almost extinct. I believe the random parkour stranger is the last of these aliens. The weird hole dwelling monsters may also be technologically regressed members of this species (in fact I'm 99% sure on this one). This species is behind the Mithraic texts and may have visited Earth at some point. They have been coy as gently caress showing the faces of the parkour stranger and the people in the robes, so I think they are aliens. At some point these creatures built an AI (based on Dark Photon technology), but poo poo must have gone wrong and they locked it up inside the big stone object. The vision Mother saw inside the data card (which is alien, but also readable by her because she is alien technology) was an actual historical document that was interpreted by her mind through the use of metaphor. The actual event being depicted was the aliens sealing up their AI inside the stone object, but her brain instead saw a metaphor of an alien Android (that's why it was spitting up white blood) being locked in a much smaller stone decahedron next to the pits. My guess is that a massive machine exists inside the world, and the pits are vents coming up from it. It is likely that this machine was once controlled by the AI, but the aliens locked up it's control core or something inside the stone object.

The machine is somehow able to influence humans and androids through psychic (or weird alien waveform projection) commands and is attempting to use Mother (compatible because of alien tech) to build a new body for it. The parkour stranger is attempting to communicate with the humans to STOP this from happening as it is aware of the AI, but is unable to communicate about what it is doing. The data cards were an attempt to show the humans what was going on, but "Sol" got Paul to burn them. Also Paul says "Sol" isn't evil which is basically TV speak for "It's very loving evil".

In any case, this entire show is late-stage terminal Ridley Scott as gently caress, which is good or bad depending on whether you've liked his most recent sets of movies. If I'm correct, then the bizarre way this show has been shot and presented to the audience is just a bunch of mirrors and smoke bombs to hide a fairly straightforward plot, which is ultimately less interesting than a show about androids trying to raise actual human children and failing to be able to predict and control human behavior (Go watch the Netflix movie "Mother" if you want to see a good version of that story). As soon as that medical android mentioned Mother being based on decoded religious texts it basically snapped everything in my speculation into place, so basically they needed to hide any background to the Mitchraic's and their religon, because as soon as you reveal even that sliver of info it basically spoils where they are going with the plot because there isn't really any actual complexity to it once you remove the intentional obfuscation by the writers.

EDIT: On a side-note, I'm still utterly baffled by how loving Dark Souls that rapist character was.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I wonder if the actress that plays Mother is some sort of dancer irl because she can do some wild body acting.

The actors that have best played robots have had training or background in mime. Consciously understanding how to move or isolate movement for your body is critical to making robotic movement look right.

The show is making for a great hard sci-fi story. If it can bring together its themes about parenthood and belief then it could turn out to be a classic. It's getting pretty annoying how characters are regularly doing unusual, counter-intuitive, or just dumb things in order to get the plot rolling though. Even with the visions and the voices, the heel turn on Caleb was pretty loving sudden and drastic after he'd been so rational up to that point.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol this is dumb but idc I like it. Also when the creature jumped on mom was a straight up xenomorph callback

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

gently caress yeah this show is hilarious and rules like :getout: already if you want to solve it like it's Lost or something, because it's never going to happen

LifeLynx posted:

That's also why I'm disappointed it's a mystery show. It's going to be years before we get answers.

You will absolutely not get the answers you want

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 25, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

blood in blood out, thems the android rules sorry pal

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Father somehow detecting Ultra-Rapist's power levels like he is a DBZ character was also top notch, good job.

EDIT: "Father! What does the scouter read?"
"He's almost at Mother's level" *crushes holographic control interface*

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Father owns

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

it does raise question still.
how did the prisoner suck up android juices for powerup?
Is it the alien android blood doing things, something like nanomachines?
And is it the alien voices trying to do evil things again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The term hard sci fi keeps getting thrown around when it is clearly sci-fantasy because any tech they show is virtually indistinguishable from magic.