Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

1st serious sam/2nd encounter looked amazing for budget titles and were amazingly optimized, I could run them fine with some garbage laptop from 2004. I really loved 2nd encounter back then, you could set up local splitscreen on pc, huge open areas with hordes of enemies and also cool gimmick rooms that hosed with the gravity and such...After a few hours of 3 I figured there will never be a good serious sam again, turns out being cynical paid off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More shooters need bosses that are literally 300 feet tall

al-azad
May 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

More shooters need bosses that are literally 300 feet tall

Painkiller will remember this.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

al-azad posted:

Painkiller will remember this.

...let's also add in "don't have really stupid gimmicks" to that.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is the HD version of 1 bad? That’s the only one I have.

I'm gonna post this again.

The HD version is the one that looks worse

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HolyKrap posted:

What the gently caress.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've played a poo poo-ton of the originals (and the "Classics: Revolution" which is good too) as well as the HD remakes and, yeah, the HD remakes tend to have this sterile aesthetic to them that sucks out a lot of the original games' colorful charm.

At this point, I think I'd recommend Classics: Revolution to anybody who happens to not already own the originals, but is interested in getting back into them--primarily because it's a single stop shop for both TFE and TSE, and it has some extra content thrown in to boot. I've got to say that a lot of the Alligator Pit (?) maps are garbage, but safely ignored in their own chapter. They're overturned and poorly balanced, and unnecessarily large and empty (as many inexperienced map makers tend to produce).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HolyKrap posted:

drat that's significantly worse.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also the HD versions don't have the gravity loving secret maps

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Disappointing about Sam 4 - I wasn't exactly hyped for it despite playing the rest of the series; BFE was. . . okay but put out signals that Croteam didn't know what they wanted to do with the franchise any more.

Switching topics, I applied to be part of the Prodeus playtest, and I got in! I played through what's there - pretty much one satisfyingly big map (there was an "intro" map that actually used the term "Boomer" unironically) and a kind of challenge map where you run through hitting targets with the shotgun. The level design was really good for the most part - everything flowed well and there are a couple of secrets I missed - and the shooting was enjoyable. I'm not sure if location damage is a thing, since you could pop heads, something the pistol is great at doing, although I'm not sure how much better sighting in makes your accuracy. The shotgun works as intended, and I like the Arc Cannon, or whatever it's called, the combination lightning gun (which arcs) and railgun. They could've made the melee feel a little more hard-hitting though.

As far as the visuals go, I kinda like the look it has going for it, with the gritty color palates and the sprited enemy models. There's actually an option to use the real 3-D enemy models in game, which is cool if a little jarring since they lose that jerky animation. I didn't mess with the graphics options much, really. As a whole it was a solidly good experience. It knows what it wants to be and focuses on doing it well, and it certainly wears its inspirations on its sleeve. As long as the map design stays good I can see Prodeus being successful in its little niche.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Grimthwacker posted:

Disappointing about Sam 4 - I wasn't exactly hyped for it despite playing the rest of the series; BFE was. . . okay but put out signals that Croteam didn't know what they wanted to do with the franchise any more.

Switching topics, I applied to be part of the Prodeus playtest, and I got in! I played through what's there - pretty much one satisfyingly big map (there was an "intro" map that actually used the term "Boomer" unironically) and a kind of challenge map where you run through hitting targets with the shotgun. The level design was really good for the most part - everything flowed well and there are a couple of secrets I missed - and the shooting was enjoyable. I'm not sure if location damage is a thing, since you could pop heads, something the pistol is great at doing, although I'm not sure how much better sighting in makes your accuracy. The shotgun works as intended, and I like the Arc Cannon, or whatever it's called, the combination lightning gun (which arcs) and railgun. They could've made the melee feel a little more hard-hitting though.

As far as the visuals go, I kinda like the look it has going for it, with the gritty color palates and the sprited enemy models. There's actually an option to use the real 3-D enemy models in game, which is cool if a little jarring since they lose that jerky animation. I didn't mess with the graphics options much, really. As a whole it was a solidly good experience. It knows what it wants to be and focuses on doing it well, and it certainly wears its inspirations on its sleeve. As long as the map design stays good I can see Prodeus being successful in its little niche.

Yeah I spent about 45 minutes with the playtest and felt pretty similarly about it. I'm a sucker for the aesthetic, the guns feel fun to use, and I appreciate the fact that the level is relatively open-ended and allows you to tackle areas more like a Doom II map than something more linear.

I think my only issue/critique right now is that I hope that the bestiary is more fleshed out and dynamic in the actual game, because currently there's not really any "dance" or strategy to fights right now, even on harder difficulties. Like in a typical Doom II fight, you might have a couple of revenants placed as turrets, and they're launching homing rockets while some pinkies and lost souls rush in to put immediate melee pressure on you, and then a couple of medium-range Mancubus (Mancubui?) are throwing fireballs all over the place to complicate things.

Right now, I'm just sort of churning through the admittedly beta-limited enemies in Prodeus without really thinking about it. So hopefully they've got a lot more unique enemies up their sleeves to help mix things up.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HolyKrap posted:

Ah I found the problem; they forgot to have an art style in the HD version

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BattleMaster posted:

A surprisingly common issue for “HD remakes”.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

BattleMaster posted:

This applies to every Croteam game since Serious Sam 2 (including The Talos Principle, but they justified it well there).

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Is it controversial to say that Duke Nukem Forever looks like its own uneven community HD retexturing project? Because it has problems that aren’t totally dissimilar.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hasturtium posted:

Is it controversial to say that Duke Nukem Forever looks like its own uneven community HD retexturing project? Because it has problems that aren’t totally dissimilar.

DNF is utter poo poo in every way so not controversial to me. The thread sometimes laments that the trailer versions of DNF never existed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I tried that build of Unreal Tournament that got posted a few pages ago, and it's almost perfect. It even runs all my old mods after I dumped the /system directory in (and deleted the legacy platform driver). The only thing that doesn't seem to work at all is the volumetric fog effect.

Finally I can play the Na Pali campaign again, and have my character automatically tell the Skaarj to suck it when I kill one

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hasturtium posted:

Considering how long it was in development I would not be surprised if some of the stuff that ended up in the game was in fact awkwardly upscaled assets from way earlier in development when they were working on a different engine.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Considering how long it was in development I would not be surprised if some of the stuff that ended up in the game was in fact awkwardly upscaled assets from way earlier in development when they were working on a different engine.

I knew several of the guys who worked on it. Once they switched to Unreal, it stayed Unreal 1.x, they just picked and chose code drops over the years along with their homegrown stuff. Not far from when it hit gold one of the devs imported some super early assets to see what would happen. It spewed a bunch of errors, but still loaded them, and with a few hours’ work it would have more or less run most of them.

Of all the lost opportunities to lament in Duke Nukem Forever, I really wish they’d shipped it with a kickass MOD soundtrack.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I tried the first Unreal last week and I didn’t really like it.:blush:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's not that great. The things that made it stand out were the bigass levels, the Skaarj dodging your shots and of course the graphics. Unreal Tournament is about a million times better

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Even the people that made it seemed to understand only the engine, weapons, setting and the multiplayer were worth keeping.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s awful. Bullet sponge enemies and switch hunts every level. I’ve never made it through. The music is sick though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Good to know there’s nothing wrong with me. All the equivalent Quake games from the era are better IMO.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Flannelette posted:

Even the people that made it seemed to understand only the engine, weapons, setting and the multiplayer were worth keeping.

Oh? Oh is that so? Then explain the masterpiece that is Unreal 2: The Awakening! I remember every minute detail of the day I first played that game--down to the pants I was wearing. Can you say the same?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bulletstorm kicks loving rear end and the Switch port seems to be like a fantastic port.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All I remember about Unreal 2 was the game casually blowing up every single side character and being relieved

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SeANMcBAY posted:

I did the same a year or so ago. When Unreal came out, my computer was an aging 486 that couldn’t play anything more recent/demanding than Quake. Playing it for the first time last year and it just isn’t very fun. It’s extremely pretty, but I find the levels unnecessarily hard to navigate and the enemies (at least in the beginning) are frustrating flying shits or bullet dodging ninja bullet-sponges.

I also started playing Daikatana with the community patch and got about 5 or so levels in, and I quite like it. I love the use of colored lighting and the level detail is pretty good too.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

All I remember about Unreal 2 was the game casually blowing up every single side character and being relieved

Honestly, any game that doesn't let you immediately gun down your companions/instructor/coworkers--whether it comes with immediate consequences or no--is a game that isn't worth your time.

Like, that's why Fallout 3 is such a poo poo game. They spent all of this time and money telling a story about somebody trying to find their father, and not once did they consider the possibility that I was, in fact, hunting him in the most absolute sense of the word.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

chaosapiant posted:

I also started playing Daikatana with the community patch and got about 5 or so levels in, and I quite like it. I love the use of colored lighting and the level detail is pretty good too.

I’m actually tempted to try this now. Isn’t the movement quite good feeling and the game picks up after the first few levels?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Honestly, any game that doesn't let you immediately gun down your companions/instructor/coworkers--whether it comes with immediate consequences or no--is a game that isn't worth your time.

Like, that's why Fallout 3 is such a poo poo game. They spent all of this time and money telling a story about somebody trying to find their father, and not once did they consider the possibility that I was, in fact, hunting him in the most absolute sense of the word.

On a related note, I maintain that Three Dog is the single most embarrassing character in any game and I'm glad that murdering him stops him playing over the airwaves.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To give Croteam the tiniest bit of credit, it is literally in-fiction that the simulated world of the Talos Principle is constructed from a stock video game engine/assets. They fully acknowledged that that thing was cobbled together from Serious Sam poo poo and other scraps. But if they really did straight up lift stuff from Talos that's still extremely :psyduck:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I want Doom!

Mom: We have Doom at home

Doom at Home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjHUCsrNeYQ

HolyKrap posted:

Is there some sort of diagnosable condition that explains how this stuff happens? Do the people making these "HD" versions of things look at it and see a normal video game?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

Is there some sort of diagnosable condition that explains how this stuff happens? Do the people making these "HD" versions of things look at it and see a normal video game?

My guess is that they are looking at the assets as individual items rather than thinking about how they will be used in the game. They're making stuff that will look good when you have your face pressed up against it, but then in the game you're in a big wide open arena where you will never be that close to anything.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

HolyKrap posted:

Could you just actually say which one is the "improved" HD one? Spell it out. The top one or the bottom one.

I think I need someone to actually say it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Could you just actually say which one is the "improved" HD one? Spell it out. The top one or the bottom one.

I think I need someone to actually say it.

The top one is the "HD" version

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013

Dip Viscous posted:

Pretty much photorealism vs. having an actual art style. The second one generally requires having an actual artistic background.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Barudak posted:

I had the same confusion, but the bumpy ground effect (yes, that's what it's technically called in the biz) gave it away on closer inspection

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Barudak posted:

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I had the same confusion, but the bumpy ground effect (yes, that's what it's technically called in the biz) gave it away on closer inspection
I wasn't confused. I just didn't want to believe. It couldn't be that bad, could it?

But it was.

What they did to the walls isn't even a lack of art design, it's like a presence of absence. Every year I'm more and more convinced that most good things are accidents and their creators just didn't manage to fix them before they had to ship.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://mobile.twitter.com/OrganicSuperlub/status/1309439305874632705