Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Found an image of it from last time single thumpers + tomtom came up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have the TomTom 550, so it doesn't have those 7 contacts on the back. It just has 2 flat ones.

It's been pretty reliable on my tiny Honda. The 2 contact pins on the charger mount on the bike doesn't work if it's been sat in the rain and there's been some corrosion on it, but you can clean it with isopropyl and it works again (and then make sure you use an aftermarket cover on the charger mount when you are away from the bike so it doesn't get rained on).

Of course, should the contacts fail on either the charger mount or the unit itself, I can always use micro-usb to charge it too while using it while riding.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is there a standalone GPS unit that will let you control phone music and show you messages and phone calls?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Is there a standalone GPS unit that will let you control phone music and show you messages and phone calls?

The TomTom will show you phonecalls and read out your messages.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

The TomTom will show you phonecalls and read out your messages.

I went to look it up, it turns out that Tom Tom has an Android app, that will preload maps and then essentially do the same thing. Any advantage over having a standalone GPS unit?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

A standalone TomTom GPS unit is:

1. Sturdier.
2. Uses it's own battery, so doesn't drain your phone in case you don't have it hooked up to your bike battery.
3. 100% waterproof.
4. Works even in mobile coverage dead spots.
5. Nice and bright screen that's easy to read in all weather.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

A standalone TomTom GPS unit is:

1. Sturdier.
2. Uses it's own battery, so doesn't drain your phone in case you don't have it hooked up to your bike battery.
3. 100% waterproof.
4. Works even in mobile coverage dead spots.
5. Nice and bright screen that's easy to read in all weather.

So if I'm comparing it to a flagship phone, this becomes a fairly moot point because:

1. Phone can either go inside a mounted case (like givi), or be wearing a case and be secured to the handlebars
2. Not having a power supply on the motorcycle is just negligence. You need it for essentially everything, including the battery tender connection.
3. Many flagship phones are waterproof, water resistant or that issue is solved by the case/enclosure.
4. The TomTom app I mentioned above preloads maps. But then it also uses real-time traffic data. Google Maps also has an option to preload maps and will absolutely continue navigation when you're outside cellular service area. I've tested it. The downside is that GoogleMaps refused to plot route on the fly, which I believe TomTom app would solve.
5. That's a weird point, considering how bright the phone screen can get.

Since I haven't used it standalone GPS in a long time, I don't see enough evidence to suggest it's time to go back. Other than protecting your phone and having another device take a beating in case of an accident or lightning strike, I really don't see the benefit. Phone has an added benefit of flexibility, is that you can use multiple apps, route tracking, screen functions like android auto and be infinitely programmable to do whatever. Havin seen the Goldwing/ AfricaTwin screen in action, I believe that's actually the future. Now, how do I retrofit that on all my bikes?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

But now the image stabilization on your expensive phone is broken from the vibrations

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

So if I'm comparing it to a flagship phone, this becomes a fairly moot point because:

1. Phone can either go inside a mounted case (like givi), or be wearing a case and be secured to the handlebars
2. Not having a power supply on the motorcycle is just negligence. You need it for essentially everything, including the battery tender connection.
3. Many flagship phones are waterproof, water resistant or that issue is solved by the case/enclosure.
4. The TomTom app I mentioned above preloads maps. But then it also uses real-time traffic data. Google Maps also has an option to preload maps and will absolutely continue navigation when you're outside cellular service area. I've tested it. The downside is that GoogleMaps refused to plot route on the fly, which I believe TomTom app would solve.
5. That's a weird point, considering how bright the phone screen can get.

Since I haven't used it standalone GPS in a long time, I don't see enough evidence to suggest it's time to go back. Other than protecting your phone and having another device take a beating in case of an accident or lightning strike, I really don't see the benefit. Phone has an added benefit of flexibility, is that you can use multiple apps, route tracking, screen functions like android auto and be infinitely programmable to do whatever. Havin seen the Goldwing/ AfricaTwin screen in action, I believe that's actually the future. Now, how do I retrofit that on all my bikes?

The TomTom GPS unit has all maps to everywhere preloaded and updated and ready to go. It also has real time traffic data and speed camera locations.

It also always Just Works. It also doesn't have a camera that is killed by vibrations.

I've used an iPhone for navigation before. The GPS unit is way better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Instead of using your phone, get a proper GPS (TomTom > Garmin).

It's robust and 100% waterproof and doesn't give a poo poo about vibrations.

And you can add a Billy Connolly navigation voice.

Waze has saved me from two speed traps so I'm pretty okay with my sacrificial phone solution tbh :q:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

The TomTom GPS unit has all maps to everywhere preloaded and updated and ready to go. It also has real time traffic data and speed camera locations.

It also always Just Works. It also doesn't have a camera that is killed by vibrations.

I've used an iPhone for navigation before. The GPS unit is way better.
The Google Maps had been working for me like a Swiss clock for nearly a decade. And you can not only download all maps, but it will show speed cameras, police traps, real time accidents and everything people have reported on waze and Google, it's all integrated. And I've never seen or heard a camera going bad from vibrations, is that an iPhone thing?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

The Google Maps had been working for me like a Swiss clock for nearly a decade. And you can not only download all maps, but it will show speed cameras, police traps, real time accidents and everything people have reported on waze and Google, it's all integrated. And I've never seen or heard a camera going bad from vibrations, is that an iPhone thing?

It's an any phone with optical image stabilization thing, which is newer models of iPhones and various Android phones.

I have a dedicated motorcycle GPS and still use my phone instead - I can't see spending several hundred dollars on a dedicated GPS when I could go buy a used waterproof smartphone with 10x the functionality and just move a SIM card around if needed. It's not like it's an aircraft or watercraft GPS with features (depth finder, whatever) you can't duplicate on a phone. The GPS gets used as an integrated dash display so I can see oil temp, TPMS, all on one screen.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's the GPS unit you're using?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

What's the GPS unit you're using?

BMW Nav V, made by Garmin - BMW bikes with a nav option can send data from the bike through the cradle. Would be nice if there was something similar you could do with any bike via OBDII or the like.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

As Nero Danced posted:

Do glove liners work for cooler weather? I have some store credit at one of the websites and I'm thinking of picking up a pair for later this year, but I'm wondering if I should get a pair of winter riding gloves instead.

I've used glove liners, and they worked, but on my properly fitted 3-season gloves, they bound up too much for any kind of longer rides. The thing that works way better for me is a pair of waterproof lobster gloves over my gloves to break the wind. Handguards on the handlebars helps quite a bit too, if that's an option. Nitrile gloves underneath also helps a surprising amount.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Nitrox posted:

My brand new iPhone 11 had the camera wrecked by vibrations. It is 100% a thing. It was covered under limited warranty. If it wasn’t, that’s a $300 repair. Vibrations also ruined the lightning port and the GPS on my old 6S+, similar to the dedicated GPS unit posted above.

You and Jazzzzz are right, a sacrificial smart phone is probably a better idea than a dedicated GPS, but ruining your new $1000 due to vibrations can (and will) happen. Maya be it’s an iPhone thing, maybe it’s a bike-specific thing, but it has happened to me on 2 different iphones.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not to mention you can get budget shitter Android phones for next to nothing. I’m only really set on an iPhone as a bike GPS because I like the handoff stuff, but to be honest I have used approximately none of it so far, and the more I think about it the less I really see the appeal of text messages popping up while I’m trying to ride a bike. So I guess once my 8 dies (hopefully later, now that I have the vibration mount) I can probably just try to get a cheap android substitute and continue tethering it to the expensive phone in my jacket.

I am actually legitimately shocked that no one has done an CarPlay or Google Car (whatever it is) receiver that’s just a touchscreen that you mount on your bike. It doesn’t have to be a sound system, just needs to be able to do wireless CarPlay. Heck, if it’s too bulky you could always just have the LCD with a cable running to the actual compute under your seat or something. This is always the kind of thing that makes me want to be the guy that thought it up and invented it, but then I realize I am nowhere near electrical engineer savvy enough to do so.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 21, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Alamoduh posted:

My brand new iPhone 11 had the camera wrecked by vibrations. It is 100% a thing. It was covered under limited warranty. If it wasn’t, that’s a $300 repair. Vibrations also ruined the lightning port and the GPS on my old 6S+, similar to the dedicated GPS unit posted above.

You and Jazzzzz are right, a sacrificial smart phone is probably a better idea than a dedicated GPS, but ruining your new $1000 due to vibrations can (and will) happen. Maya be it’s an iPhone thing, maybe it’s a bike-specific thing, but it has happened to me on 2 different iphones.

Not specifically by bike vibrations but I've had the optical stabilisation fail on a mid-range Sony and a Google Pixel being the thing that's forced replacement of them (well not forced, but was my cue to get round to upgrading). I think it's pretty much standard on most non-bottom-end phone cameras now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
One thing I do as a precaution, is to insert rubber liners before mounting anything on the handlebar. Even switches and charger adapters. Maybe that's why vibration was never an issue.

But seriously, stand alone 4-6" screen that only exists to run Aauto/CarPlay is a brilliant idea. I'll buy 3. Seriously. I mount the phone on the handlebars not because I want to, but because the options are so limited. And actually curious about whoever was using and exercise holder over their jacket sleeve.

The single din auto receivers are not even 2 finger thick now, turns out you don't need to make 'em so big, if you're not playing CDs or tapes.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

GPS Chat.

I have a Garmin Zumo 350Shitbucket. The pins on the connector gave out on my 125 maybe 6 months in. Who'd have thought, brass pogo pins in a wet environment would rust and seize up. The battery has maybe 30mins life in it to boot.

The rear-USB power jack is blocked by the cradle... or so I thought. I stripped back the plastic on an old cable using a knife, and then bent the connector to a near right angle and it *just* slips behind the cradle.

I then Jerry rigged a USB socket to my (unused) battery tender port, and snaked the USB cable from my handlebars to next to the carb:

I will give the garmin some points:

• The twisty-route routing is actually twisty. Calimoto only knows about 'main' roads and skips past every alley, lane, or path. The Garmin seems to do a good job at finding them. Double edged sword, I took a friend on a CBR650 down a single-lane mostly pothole track once.
  • Offline maps and speed camera locations
  • Road warnings (turns, zigzags etc)
  • Glove friendly touchscreen

Otherwise, it's a pile of poo poo.

• The mounting is bulky, expensive, and prone to failure.
  • It crashes often
  • it's impossible to get routes onto it (I spent over an hour last night copying points from google maps by post-code),
  • it's slow.
  • it's offline maps are irresponsibly out of date (today I had been routed down 4 road closures, two of which are permanent).
  • It's battery life is atrocious, and only got worse with age.
  • The UI is all over the place.
  • You can't reverse a route easily

None of the good points make up for it's pitfalls. Glove-Friendly touchscreen is close, but there's solutions for that.

I'm going to buy a 10,000 mAh BlackView BV9500, stick a QuadLock sticky plaster on the back, and use that.

Also WARNING FOR SENA MESH USERS
While Sena are amazing and offered an update to the 30K to make it work with their new 50 series Mesh2.0 line...
They broke compatibility with Mesh1.0. So all your friends with 30K units have to upgrade the firmware to make it work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nitrox posted:

But seriously, stand alone 4-6" screen that only exists to run Aauto/CarPlay is a brilliant idea. I'll buy 3. Seriously. I mount the phone on the handlebars not because I want to, but because the options are so limited. And actually curious about whoever was using and exercise holder over their jacket sleeve.

It turns out you can use a poo poo android tablet + USB dongle as a carplay receiver so I might try that in the next few months if I can scrounge together all the necessary bits and I can find something cheap enough to throw away on a whim.

Turns out they make wireless carplay adapters etc so I guess the only thing would be finding an android tablet small enough to not be completely out of place between the handlebars. poo poo, I might try a crappy craigslist android phone if I can find one that works well enough.

I guess I’ll report back once I’ve made any decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfE_D1QAz6E

Obviously this one is way too big but the point stands.

alr
May 14, 2009
For anyone in Australia, next week is Aldi's annual motorcycle gear special. The thermal base layer they sell is decent. It's not merino, but it's just as good as the synthetic stuff at Kathmandu or other camping stores while being cheaper. Cheap tank/tail bags too.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-wed-30-september/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Martytoof posted:

It turns out you can use a poo poo android tablet + USB dongle as a carplay receiver so I might try that in the next few months if I can scrounge together all the necessary bits and I can find something cheap enough to throw away on a whim.

Turns out they make wireless carplay adapters etc so I guess the only thing would be finding an android tablet small enough to not be completely out of place between the handlebars. poo poo, I might try a crappy craigslist android phone if I can find one that works well enough.

I guess I’ll report back once I’ve made any decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfE_D1QAz6E

Obviously this one is way too big but the point stands.

I wonder if a crappy tablet and something like this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitspice.automate&hl=en

would work OK. Just need to find a way of mounting it on the top of the tank or something. I used to have a tank bag with a clear top pocket, if there is a low profile thing like that it could be a cheapo solution.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Ideally, we don't want to use a tablet, but an old GPS unit or something. It would have water resistance, shock absorption, and other features build in, while not making you worry about a mounting solution.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just use an old Samsung galaxy S5 Active. Cheap as hell and waterproof. I put it on my iPhones hotspot for data

Extremely needs suiting.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

alr posted:

For anyone in Australia, next week is Aldi's annual motorcycle gear special. The thermal base layer they sell is decent. It's not merino, but it's just as good as the synthetic stuff at Kathmandu or other camping stores while being cheaper. Cheap tank/tail bags too.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-wed-30-september/

WTF, Aldi sells motorcycle gear? In the States it's just cheap groceries

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Half the draw of Aldi (also Lidl) is the huge bins they have in the middle of the store full of random crap that changes every few months. Bike gear, swimwear, power tools, sewing machines, sports kit, pet toys etc etc etc

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Half the draw of Aldi (also Lidl) is the huge bins they have in the middle of the store full of random crap that changes every few months. Bike gear, swimwear, power tools, sewing machines, sports kit, pet toys etc etc etc

What's not to love about a shop where you can buy an arc welder along with cheap knockoff cornflakes?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Yeah you can be driven into some pretty wild purchases.

Once I went there to get an electric fly swatter. In the island they also had a roll of good cord ("not paracord") and some wooden cutting boards. when I showed up to the cashier with that and some condoms and wet wipes (the industrial ones) she did give me quite the look.

By the way having a zip bag of the wet wipes under the passenger seat can be extremely useful. I hate the feeling of getting back into my gloves if my hands aren't clean, especially if they are gritty or oily.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 25, 2020

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
Plus with ALDI being a large company with a large legal team, they are one of the few sources of gear with a CE rating. I think it's supposed to be on everything European by now but I find gear with a rating to be quite rare.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Combat Theory posted:

some condoms and wet wipes (the industrial ones) she did give me quite the look.

“Gimme the industrial condoms” may just be even more of a flex than buying Magnums is

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Combat Theory posted:

By the way having a zip bag of the wet wipes under the passenger seat can be extremely useful. I hate the feeling of getting back into my gloves if my hands aren't clean, especially if they are gritty or oily.

This is a real good tip that I can't believe never occurred to me, I also absolutely hate having nasty hands in my gloves, normally after eating something and no bathroom to wash them dang rona :/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
This probably belong in Marketplace but ever since I lost a ton of weight a few years ago I have some motorcycle gear that no longer fits me. Could anyone use a Dainese D Frame textile jacket in euro size 60 (U.S. 48-50) in black with fluorescent yellow accents? It's yours for just the price of shipping if you want it. I also have a first gen. gray and black Joe Rocket Survivor Textile Suit in XL Short (42-44+ chest and 30.5 inch inseam) and a really old silver and black mesh Joe Rocket jacket in XL (42-44+). Also just for the price of shipping.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 27, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'd be up for the Dainese but I'm in the UK...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Yuns posted:

I also have a first gen. gray and black Joe Rocket Survivor Textile Suit in XL Short (42-44+ chest and 30.5 inch inseam)
This will fit someone I know, please pm me with payment info and I'll take it!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Steakandchips posted:

I'd be up for the Dainese but I'm in the UK...
I'll try to figure out some super cheap shipping to the UK and PM you.

EDIT:
I think I can ship it for around 20 pounds or so via Fedex Economy.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 27, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Nitrox posted:

This will fit someone I know, please pm me with payment info and I'll take it!
I sent you a pm. I have it packaged up and ready to go and just need an address.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just replied back!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s officially that time of year again where I’m like MAYBE I SHOULD JUST GET WINTER GLOVES and then I don’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My ninja 250 came bubba'd with wrap-around grip warmers. I keep almost installing them and then don't :(