Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Rocky loses in the first one because Apollo Creed is the better boxer and the movie treats this as an undeniable fact. He's a thinly disguised Muhammad Ali. He's just better, that's the point of the entire film. Creed breezes in without having even trained for the fight and still wins.

BUT! Rocky knocks him down and goes until the final bell, two things nobody had ever done against Creed. It's "Local Loser Works Hard, Makes Good" not "Local Loser Is Secretly World's Greatest Fighter."

The moral of The Tortoise and The Hare isn't supposed to be that turtles are actually faster runners than rabbits. But then there's no Tortoise IV where the Tortoise's violent and emotionally stunted raccoon brother-in-law builds a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Nameless Pete posted:

But then there's no Tortoise IV where the Tortoise's violent and emotionally stunted raccoon brother-in-law builds a robot.

But by god there should be!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bunny-Bot Mk. 2 will be the fastest tortoise yet!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just watched Never Been Kissed and it's....really gross and I don't even know how it went over in the 90s.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Nameless Pete posted:

BUT! Rocky knocks him down and goes until the final bell, two things nobody had ever done against Creed.

“I won, but I didn’t beat him” is pretty good as motivation in the second movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No one should beat "Network". Prophetic poo poo.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nameless Pete posted:

And it's not like it was unearned. Rocky would have won Best Screenplay in any other year, but nobody was beating "Network." Stallone kinda ran into the same thing that Orson Welles and Billy Bob Thornton did. They made their masterpiece passion project at the beginning of their career, then got really famous and powerful afterwards and didn't really know what to actually DO with it.

(I haven't seen Sling Blade in like 20 years and it may very well belong in this thread by this point)

Well, Sly started the nursing home project for the not-as-successful classic action movie starts with the Expendables. But they have the depth of Fast and Furious franchise so not exactly high art.

At late 90's Copland didn't succeed because Stallone was already cast as one-dimensional action start and his actual performance in the movie was mostly ignored.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

BrigadierSensible posted:

On the Rambo/Rocky talk:

There is a weird parallel between the two sets of films.

Where the first in the series is an actual movie. Where a sad broken man deals with trauma, and internalized toxic masculinity. Battling a world that tells him he doesn't belong.

But as the films progress, they turn into rah rah stories about a big strong tough manly superhero who overcomes the evil baddies, (be they the Russians or Mr T), by punching/shooting them. And he wins because he is so tough and muscly and manly YAY!

America ended the seventies as a country which had for the first time lost the war and being in economic turmoil and uncertain about its role in the world. It would have been a perfect moment for an introspective examination for its reason to being and how to build a better future.

America chose Ronald Reagan.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean technically the dude that got spikes through his legs wasn't killed by Rambo, but he probably died or at least had to have his legs amputated and probably committed suicide due to being unable to be a cop after that.

so net lives saved then

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BrigadierSensible posted:

On the Rambo/Rocky talk:

There is a weird parallel between the two sets of films.

Where the first in the series is an actual movie. Where a sad broken man deals with trauma, and internalized toxic masculinity. Battling a world that tells him he doesn't belong.

But as the films progress, they turn into rah rah stories about a big strong tough manly superhero who overcomes the evil baddies, (be they the Russians or Mr T), by punching/shooting them. And he wins because he is so tough and muscly and manly YAY!

I agree, they’re great

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Fish of hemp posted:

America ended the seventies as a country which had for the first time lost the war and being in economic turmoil and uncertain about its role in the world. It would have been a perfect moment for an introspective examination for its reason to being and how to build a better future.

America chose Ronald Reagan.

it's not exactly the same thing but tbf, at least as far as media goes, there was a major swath of introspective works from the 70s to late 80s that either went fully anti-war or made dire, dire predictions about america's future, as a coming dystopia or even wasteland as a consequence of its current direction, that were made as a direct response to either the recent defeats or the economic turmoil

..but then the ussr collapsed and america could aggrandize its win by default into a total victory that proved its inherent superiority, and artists supposed the next battle was just the individual trying to keep their soul in the face of either intense materialism from wild prosperity OR dealing w/a an all-powerful government that would arrogantly tangle itself in all sorts of conspiracies

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, Sly started the nursing home project for the not-as-successful classic action movie starts with the Expendables. But they have the depth of Fast and Furious franchise so not exactly high art.

At late 90's Copland didn't succeed because Stallone was already cast as one-dimensional action start and his actual performance in the movie was mostly ignored.

Stallone should have won Best Actor for Rocky Balboa. He was so good in that, and it's only a shame he thought it meant he could go back to the well for Rambo too.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I agree, they’re great

more like old glory

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Jedit posted:

Stallone should have won Best Actor for Rocky Balboa. He was so good in that, and it's only a shame he thought it meant he could go back to the well for Rambo too.

God drat is the last Rambo movie awful. I watched it on streaming and still somehow felt ripped off. It went from First Blood's plot and more hopeful ending to some hosed up story about how you'll always be a damaged, broken, violent, hosed up person so why even bother changing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just watched the Stargate SG-1 episode The Tok'ra in which they meet with the nice brainslugs - the key difference being that the evil ones steal people's bodies but the good ones take volunteers and then share the body, switching control back and forth at will. There's a scene where Sam is talking to one of the Tok'ra about a now-dead Tok'ra that she met in a previous episode, Jolinar. Then Sam asks "what was Jolinar's host like?"

Martouf/Lantash posted:

Jolinar's host, Rosha, was very beautiful. She had eyes like the oceans of Marloon, hair was the colour of the sand Abydos, and her smile was, was as infectious as laughter. In fact, Rosha looked very much like you Captain Carter.
And that is all that's said about Rosha. Sam even seems to regard that as a reasonable and complete answer to her question. It's almost blatant enough to make you think they're actually lying about sharing bodies with their hosts, because he apparently can't think of even one thing to say about her personality; like as though she is literally just an empty vessel.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Just watched the Stargate SG-1 episode The Tok'ra in which they meet with the nice brainslugs - the key difference being that the evil ones steal people's bodies but the good ones take volunteers and then share the body, switching control back and forth at will. There's a scene where Sam is talking to one of the Tok'ra about a now-dead Tok'ra that she met in a previous episode, Jolinar. Then Sam asks "what was Jolinar's host like?"

And that is all that's said about Rosha. Sam even seems to regard that as a reasonable and complete answer to her question. It's almost blatant enough to make you think they're actually lying about sharing bodies with their hosts, because he apparently can't think of even one thing to say about her personality; like as though she is literally just an empty vessel.

I always wrote that up to SG-1 not always being the best written thing in the world, for all I love it, but this interpretation raises a lot of uncomfortable questions about what goes on to happen with Sam's dad :tinfoil:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A lot of shows we talk about not aging well because they do things that we realize later were actually pretty awful. But I've been watching Yu-Gi-Oh GX lately, for some reason, and it aged badly in a different way: by being the most 'mid-2000s' media ever produced.

The original Yu-Gi-Oh actually ages fairly well, surprisingly, mostly through just never referencing specific real-world technology, media trends, and generally sticking to a pretty timeless stable of voices and music, it never does anything that dates it more specifically than 'sometime probably after the early 90s'. But GX in contrast is BLATANTLY of its time, inspired extremely heavily by cultural trends and media. It very blatantly came out in the mid-00s, heavily inspired by both Harry Potter and a bunch of the Japanese 'takes place in high school' media of the time. As well as being willing enough to make current jokes that from what I can tell, they had a character be an extended Cars reference while Cars was in theaters, which is actually kind of impressive. But then the dub goes even further, with the entire soundtrack being replaced with pop-punk and a ridiculous amount of extremely dated impersonations.

It only gets more obvious when you go from watching it dubbed to subbed, which you have to do because of an entirely unrelated thing that also dates it: It's the only anime I've ever seen where, as far as I can tell, the dub literally gave up. The 4kids dub stops at the second-to-last episode of the third season (out of four), because their attempt to attempts to edit out overly violent/morbid/sexual themes was being pushed to its limits in the third season, most of it by a single character. The final episode of that season ends on a cliffhanger that involves that character joining the main cast; they already had to redraw every single time that character was on-screen, so it's hilarious how blatantly they just went 'gently caress it, we give up' and cancelled the whole thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well now I want to see this character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s not true, Yu gi oh dubbing was in a weird place at that time.

The exact same situation played out for the next series 5ds where they just didn’t dub the last season.

Also the GX scuba rules. They break the fourth wall and just don’t give a gently caress

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
EDIT: ^^ Oh, I won't deny that the GX dub is kind of amazing, it's just EXTREMELY of-its-time. And makes it very jarring to go from the joke-heavy English dub to the largely taken-serious Japanese.

marshmallow creep posted:

Well now I want to see this character.

Their name is Yubel, and basically every single thing about the character is a nightmare if you're trying to get the show onto a children's network like Fox Kids or Cartoon Network. The thing that page doesn't cover is what they were supposed to look like, before 4kids had to redraw everything. Yubel was supposed to not have a gender, with both male and female characteristics, which means that in Japan they look like this:

4kids decided this was too complicated, and redrew every single image of Yubel to instead make them distinctly female. Which probably just added to the potential minefield of the fourth season, where Yubel's sharing a body with the (male) protagonist.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Looking back at all the anime that blew up when I was a kid, it seems like Pokémon, Dragon Ball, and to anlesser extent One Piece and Naruto are just never going away but everything else just fell off the face of the earth after the initial run. Yugioh GX and whatever the third digimon series was I specifically remember being universally loathed. And that was at an age where we were still whipping out yugioh decks at lunch so we didn’t just grow out of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The third is considered the best Digimon, you are thinking of the fourth which everyone hated

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Who hated Digimon Tamers? That's generally considered to be one of the best because of it's lovecraft-lite type imagery and dark themes about depression, abuse (mostly impmon's backstory, his treatment really hosed him up for a while) and the nature of power.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

The third is considered the best Digimon, you are thinking of the fourth which everyone hated

Oh right the one that focuses on the smaller kids’ age group is considered the second so it would be the fourth

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, the third season was hosed up, but in an entertaining way.
Season 4 was "Power Rangers, but they morph into otherkin."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The third seasons finale arc is basically trying to save a girl whose Digimon died from a monster that manipulated her depression to get in the real world.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite part of Tamers is towards the end where aforementioned girl is nearly rescued by the digimon that killed her partner in the first place and is now consumed with regret, only for her to refuse his help, barely even acknowledging that he's there. It's a very genuine, but devastating, moment for both of them - he's not only denied closure, but his rescue attempt, the one good thing he tried to do with his life, is rendered useless, so the only things that had lasting effects from him were the parts he wishes he could take back, and she's still in danger as a result. Also the moment where her dad is losing his mind, just shouting at the creature invading his city to stop using his daughters voice as it refuses to shut up broadcasting it's progress at ending the world with a grotesque parody of a man's missing daughter

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Sep 26, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Looking back at all the anime that blew up when I was a kid, it seems like Pokémon, Dragon Ball, and to anlesser extent One Piece and Naruto are just never going away but everything else just fell off the face of the earth after the initial run. Yugioh GX and whatever the third digimon series was I specifically remember being universally loathed. And that was at an age where we were still whipping out yugioh decks at lunch so we didn’t just grow out of it.

I think GX suffered outside Japan not just from a huge swerve in tone by the dub, but also because the first season was REALLY bad. The first half or so basically doesn't have a plot, it's essentially just a series of slice-of-life one shots around this school entirely for dueling, where every episode is half composed of a zero-stakes duel... that the protagonist wins mostly with the exact same strategy over and over again. Which is technically more accurate to how the game goes when you play it, but you get tired of Flame Wingman long before the show does. It feels like the show was trying to pivot into a different format, and failed miserably, with the second half of the first season being frantic attempts to recapture the original's structure.

The second season is much better, it hits the ground running with what turns out to be a cult plotline and has much more multi-episode duels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think a lot of people might have missed Adventure 02 or rolled it into the first, since it's a direct sequel and mostly less interesting.

Impmon's a really interesting case, especially since his backstory isn't exactly complicated or shocking- simply what happens when you give a fantastical buddy who also happens to be a living creature with needs and feelings to a couple of kids too young to understand that, and without a fantastic adventure and/or older kids around to teach them responsibility. Best case scenario really, he simply runs away.

I think one of the reasons that Pokemon never replaced Ash is because there were a lot of examples to show that when a shonen series switches its protagonist, a shitload of the audience loses interest. GX probably can be chalked up to its own issues as made clear above, mind, but IIRC they stopped making the timeskip arcs in One Piece because the audience only put up with so many episodes without Luffy onscreen, see also DBZ's abortive attempt to switch focus to Gohan that just petered out. Has to be said that your standard shonen hero; ie, a vaguely well-meaning exuberant idiot; is actually a really good main character, easy to write and fun to watch, and can play off of anyone.

Duel Masters is probably a dub that's aged poorly for similar reasons to GX, but then again that was a point where since absolutely no one could pretend the premise was remotely original, they decided to make a complete gag dub of it instead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean that only applies to 90s shonen modern shonen are moving yo more seasonal less main character focused seasons.

Things like My hero Academia, demon Slayer and even jojos which started as a shonen have blown up in the west over the last five years.

Though anime in general has grown in popularity nowthat it’s much, much easier to get

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Forever Mad that Gohan got robbed cause I liked him a lot more than Goku.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jojos has been doing it since before it was cool though, and kinda mixes it up in that its protagonist switches are related to the previous one with some recurring characters from the last series. (most of the time) In general it does its own thing, including avoiding the endless escalation not only by switching protags (and killing off cast members liberally) but by having the bad guys have to be outsmarted and the puzzle of their abilities solved rather than overpowered.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Give me a Great Saiya-Man spinoff or give me death!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jojos has been doing it since before it was cool though, and kinda mixes it up in that its protagonist switches are related to the previous one with some recurring characters from the last series. (most of the time) In general it does its own thing, including avoiding the endless escalation not only by switching protags (and killing off cast members liberally) but by having the bad guys have to be outsmarted and the puzzle of their abilities solved rather than overpowered.

I mean that’s not really true, most Jojo villians are kind of just overpowered.

Their abilities are usually more than pure power tho

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Byzantine posted:

He grew up and got a job.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wasn't the whole thing with DBZ that Toriyama wanted to end it after Cell?
Goku choosing to stay dead, passing the torch to his son who surpassed him, so on and so on, only for execs to convince him that they needed to get more milk from the cash cow, which is what gave us the Buu saga?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

the_steve posted:

Wasn't the whole thing with DBZ that Toriyama wanted to end it after Cell?
Goku choosing to stay dead, passing the torch to his son who surpassed him, so on and so on, only for execs to convince him that they needed to get more milk from the cash cow, which is what gave us the Buu saga?

That’s how DBZ Abridged ends.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There a lot of rumors about DBZ and most of them aren’t true.

Toryiama did whatever he wanted even if the end result was a story that changed on a dime

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Byzantine posted:

He's definitely a more complex character than Goku who is just way too one note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

*screams for three entire episodes, while other characters look on in amazement*