Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
One of my planets had all its fauna turn into robots. You can feed them batteries.

I also found a 'planetary archive', which was absolutely massive, on a tiny moon. Climbing on top you could see the curvature of the moon on the horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

On a moon with dayglow green volcano motif and the new resource, basalt and man they really jacked the effort up to 10k. Being chucked out of a fire tornado and doing 70% dmg to actual fire raging during a storm. I might be crazy but I think electrical storms now charge batteries at night (my solar panels definitely indicated they're offline but "the mf kept chargin"...like they were dunk in sprite or some poo poo).

xbox one x enhancements really, really pop in this update. If they continue to support NMS into next gen its going look even stunning.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 25, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Douchebag posted:

So just made the new galaxy jump and I’m in Budullangr. Trying to find a planet that is mostly chill to build my new base that doesn’t look like a 2 year olds Duplo design from the beginning missions. So far the new graphics are pretty amazing and the storms are much crazier.

My 25k/day activated indium farm is still netting me like $20M so that’s fine for me for now since I’m sitting on 300M and enjoy exploring more than maxing my cash.

Any recommended planets in Budullangr to plop a base on or is it completely random per person?

Maybe look on NMSCoordinateExchange and see if any one has shared one. I don't think that many players are in that galaxy, so it's way more lightly explored than Euclid.
Good luck and let us know what you find in your new galaxy.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Speaking of those new planetary mega-stations, they seem to have, uh, forgotten a few checks for NPC ship landing behavior:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is it better to start from scratch with the new updates, or does the game just randomly add New Stuff into whatever you're doing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MisterBibs posted:

Is it better to start from scratch with the new updates, or does the game just randomly add New Stuff into whatever you're doing?

When was the last time you played? This update sprinkled new stuff all over the game so you should see it immediately.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've been playing the same save almost the entire time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I assume there's some sort of cable guide tech that exists so I don't just have a gets spiderweb of wires going everywhere?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Absolutely gently caress everything up with wires and then just put down the buildable that hides wires and never think about them ever again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

When was the last time you played? This update sprinkled new stuff all over the game so you should see it immediately.

An age ago, probably before the game started getting colon-name updates.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thundarr posted:

I assume there's some sort of cable guide tech that exists so I don't just have a gets spiderweb of wires going everywhere?

Wires can be hidden, and you should because unless you very carefully place stuff underground/in walls your base will be a mess. There are techniques for long-range building and keeping supply cables clean but power doesn't matter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Found a planet of vicious snowstorms and giant flying 6-meter beetles :gonk:

MisterBibs posted:

An age ago, probably before the game started getting colon-name updates.

Then it's probably worth starting over, the game has changed radically since then and your save may be full of old data that doesn't get handled right and triggers bugs or breaks new content

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thanks, I'll look into how to make the thing to hide them.

This may be a bug but on my new adopted home planet there are three underwater animals in my log I can't find, but I did discover three animals that are supposedly extinct (so they don't count towards finding all animals on the planet). Not that big of a deal, just seemed kind of weird.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A pilot landed near my base today and had some totally not suspicious things to sell to me

I bought some for one of my ships and installed them

Hmm, wonder if that ship will blow up next time I try to use it!

Also found a large data centre on a planet, they have some new services on offer like swapping artifacts for a new random one and a kiosk will give you data to a historical site. You can get some lore from the data hub and chat to the aliens hanging around.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Do you know if there's some kind of trick to getting the archives to trade out artifacts? I tried twice with artifacts (matching the appropriate category) I found elsewhere and both times the options were greyed out.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I just hope they update the less asteroids mod. This asteroid filled space is the most stupid thing in this game.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My terrain manipulator has basically stopped actually working for mining deposits. I tried deconstructing the TM on my other multi-tool, didn't work. I've restarted a few times, tried other deposits of other materials on other planets in other systems, still can't mine. This playthrough might be over before it even really started.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shawon Dunston posted:

Also re: launch thrusters, find a planet with uranium. Launch thrusters can be recharged with raw uranium, so just mine up a big stack of it, throw it in your ship and never worry about having to craft launch fuel again. It's super efficient too, like 40 uranium for a full charge or something like that. Same goes for pyrite, it can substitute for tritium in the pulse engine at a way more efficient rate.

There's also at least one self-charging launch thruster I believe. It's slow but it takes the grind out of it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Pigbottom posted:

I just hope they update the less asteroids mod. This asteroid filled space is the most stupid thing in this game.

I believe the game would be even better if the asteroids were either gone or just changed to asteroid fields here and there, and that the engine was just unlimited.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
Friend convinced me to try this after the new patch. Third planet I land on I’m next to an abandoned A class ship that’s a mega upgrade on starter one, and nearby find some blackmarket tech for my backpack. Enjoying just landing on a planet and scanning a bunch of new weird interesting stuff. Huge dinosaurs with elbow flaps leaving shits next to you. A+ will play more on day off.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

John F Bennett posted:

I believe the game would be even better if the asteroids were either gone or just changed to asteroid fields here and there, and that the engine was just unlimited.

The reason there's so many of them is because the player could get stuck if they run out of fuel and have to spend hours getting to a station or planet to gather more.

It could be negated with some kind of solar upgrade to the ship, but that doesn't solve the problem for people who don't have the upgrade.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Me: I hope they improve the terrain generation

HG: FLYABLE SUBTERRANEAN RIVER CANYONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Wc7pn_iJw

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

The reason there's so many of them is because the player could get stuck if they run out of fuel and have to spend hours getting to a station or planet to gather more.

It could be negated with some kind of solar upgrade to the ship, but that doesn't solve the problem for people who don't have the upgrade.

I know, that's why I said it would be better to make the engine never run out.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 25, 2020

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

John F Bennett posted:

I know, that's why I said it would be better to make the engine never run out.

What's with this:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Finally came across some landed black market traders so I bought some X modules, trip report:
Multi tool boltcaster, mining beam upgrades: trash
Multi tool scanner upgrade: OK, gives S grade level boost to fauna scanning only for like half the cost of an S module
Suit hazard protection: trash bonuses to hot / cold / toxic / rad
Suit jetpack: actually decent, huge (130 - 180%) bonus to jetpack tanks, plus B or C level boosts to 3 other random stats. I got 2.

Basically I regret all of them except for maybe the jetpack ones, but I don't remember how good S class jetpack upgrades are. I scrapped the non jetpack suit upgrade just to get the space back. I'd do the same for my tool if I was anywhere near filling it up.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

The secret pro move after an NMS update, if you're not wanting to play too urgently, is to wait 1-2 weeks for the first major bug fix patches that come out pretty regularly at the start.

Every single update has its own big list of new bugs, but all the bad ones usually get taken care of by then. As a bonus (on PC) the decompiler for all the useful mods usually gets updated a week or two after release. So all the nice little QoL mods and other fun stuff are useable again.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I found a multitool space upgrade when searching a crashed freighter. The jokes on me though, my tool already had the max open spots for A-class apparently. I can't use the upgrade until I manage to get another 15000-ish nanites to do the A->S class upgrade.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’ve noticed that it looks like the storage containers should be able to have another 5 slots in them to take them from 20 to 25 but I’ve seen nothing about upgrading them so maybe I’m imagining it.
I’ll try to get a picture to show what’s making me think they could expand another row.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I got the sense that they were setting it up to upgrade those too.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I haven't played much since they first started giving you missions to go on. I remember nanites were new and a bunch of resources got switched around and I don't know what's what now. I had a cool base where I harvested gravitino balls and one of the updates changed it from a frozen wasteland to a scorched wasteland and I just stopped playing.

I might get back into it with a new game because I have no idea what's going on with my old one anymore.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Toast King posted:

all the nice little QoL mods and other fun stuff

I never even considered mods for this game, are there any good / must have ones?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Electrical_Cloaking_Unit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'm someone who will put effort in to snaking my power cables in a semi-believeable manner but boy if it wasn't fun to just slap one of those down on my most recent base and yolo it all.

Still get a bit of an eye twitch when I open the build menu and see my electrical shame laid out before me though.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
One thing I have learned is that if you can get to -50 fuel using supply frigates the game gives you frigate fuel back. I had recruited 25 supply frigates to minimize the time making fuel but didn’t realize I would end up stock piling it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Fwoderwick posted:

I'm someone who will put effort in to snaking my power cables in a semi-believeable manner but boy if it wasn't fun to just slap one of those down on my most recent base and yolo it all.

Still get a bit of an eye twitch when I open the build menu and see my electrical shame laid out before me though.

before the wire-hider came out, I pier-and-beamed my entire farm so I could run cables "under the foundation" as it were, to hide them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

before the wire-hider came out, I pier-and-beamed my entire farm so I could run cables "under the foundation" as it were, to hide them.

I eventually "solved" my own wiring troubles by depending more and more on prefabs and attaching stuff that needs wires directly to their internal slots.

As long as you don't go outside to see where the electricity is coming from, it looks fine.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I just saw a rainbow during a storm, are those new too? Never seen one before.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Snack Bitch posted:

One thing I have learned is that if you can get to -50 fuel using supply frigates the game gives you frigate fuel back. I had recruited 25 supply frigates to minimize the time making fuel but didn’t realize I would end up stock piling it.

Neat, I would have expected that to clamp to zero.

Fueling your frigates is pretty trivial though. You can buy DiHydrogen Gel and Tritium in huge quantities from station traders. The DiHydrogen gel refines down very quickly to DiHydrogen at a 50 to 1 ratio. You can end up with thousands of frigate fuel in a few minutes.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Sauer posted:

Neat, I would have expected that to clamp to zero.

I've also just discovered that your rep with the factions can drop below zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

John F Bennett posted:

I just saw a rainbow during a storm, are those new too? Never seen one before.

Nah, those have been around. You have to line your camera up right for 'em though. Here's one I found shortly after I got my living ship.