Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I can see why the guy with the dogshit takes felt he had to get together a big letter against cancel culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Judith Butler making GBS threads on the people that signed the letter was pretty great.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I posted this in another thread but I'm okay with the implicit comparison of cops the the arbitrary wrath of evil gods

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

is there a worse media person type than ~~the brave teller of hard truths~~??

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

He's blocking people pointing out that an insult isn't automatically ad hominem lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

also a reminder about tcw’s own treatment of women

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1286750101998915584?s=21

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

the sound reverberated off the trees with a sickening thwomp. it sounded like an isolated tuba blurt from one of the hall dances. and with it hit the awareness of it all, my knackwurst breath, the bits of sauerkraut lodged in my adolescent stubble, the suspenders chaffing my nipples. i let go of her dirndl. i wasn't this, this wasn't me. i was not an abuser. polka culture was to blame

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Breakfast All Day posted:

the sound reverberated off the trees with a sickening thwomp. it sounded like an isolated tuba blurt from one of the hall dances. and with it hit the awareness of it all, my knackwurst breath, the bits of sauerkraut lodged in my adolescent stubble, the suspenders chaffing my nipples. i let go of her dirndl. i wasn't this, this wasn't me. i was not an abuser. polka culture was to blame

https://youtu.be/1_l1VtpSnKI

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Has big dumb tom said anything notably stupid, even for him, lately?

quote:

About four years ago, without asking anybody, I changed my job description. It used to be “New York Times foreign affairs columnist.” Instead, I started calling myself the “New York Times humiliation and dignity columnist.” I even included it on my business card.

Um

quote:

Humiliation, in my view, is the most underestimated force in politics and international relations. The poverty of dignity explains so much more behavior than the poverty of money.

People will absorb hardship, hunger and pain. They will be grateful for jobs, cars and benefits. But if you make people feel humiliated, they will respond with a ferocity unlike any other emotion, or just refuse to lift a finger for you. As Nelson Mandela once observed, “There is nobody more dangerous than one who has been humiliated.”

...well OK, I get you. Where are you going with this?

quote:

I’ve seen firsthand the power of humiliation in foreign policy: Vladimir Putin’s macho act after Russia’s humiliation at losing the Cold War;

stop

ah, so...it's just how people feel, regardless of what happened? Ah, this is the both sides: racist American whites feel 'humiliated' that they no longer are naturally treated as superior by society, so Trump and everything he does is justified. You've gone from a vague but maybe insightful point on motivation to treating all tantrums and hysterics as valid, good job you brick of dumbshit

Also WTF was the alternative for the USSR but collapse, once again you are literally buying into Russian propaganda that the fall of the Soviet empire was something done to Russia by others

Tell me about the hurt pride of the post-civil war South, Tom

quote:

after what Chinese themselves call their “century of humiliation” at the hands of foreign powers.

or repeat Chinese propaganda. Tom in case you were wondering this is why the US doesn't give you classified information

well, one of the reasons

quote:

hen George Floyd was being held down by three policemen, one with a knee on his neck, as he pleaded for his mother and onlookers filmed on their phones, he was not just being restrained — he was being humiliated. Resistance to the daily humiliations of racism has fueled the Black civil rights movement from its inception to Black Lives Matter.

I now regret asking my initial question

quote:

Israeli Sephardic Jews who felt humiliated by Ashkenazi Jewish elites,

I'll.........have to take your word on that

quote:

In a much talked-about new book, “The Tyranny of Merit: What’s Become of the Common Good?” Harvard political philosopher Michael Sandel (disclosure: he is a close friend)

ah

OK TL;DR the meritocracy :nallears:vaporizes valorizes some but shames others, and the shame is white people without a college degree (never know what people mean when they say this, like is that a four year degree, two year cert. from a trade school, what)

And Trump may be quite possibly the worst president in history, but he promises to "restore the esteem" of these insecure white people

I'd really like it if Sandel considered Tom stumpfuck an acquaintance and his book is good and tom here is loving up his argument

anyway this is eye-swiveling lunacy, since tom started this column talking about reason, but now has switched completely to validating insecure white people feelings

CONCLUDE: Biden should respect the feelings of these insecure white people because the actual truth of trump's governance is meaningless

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Sep 25, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

comedyblissoption posted:

actually Jeb! could not sufficiently rig the results in his brother's favor and it required kicking up to the scotus

and he was considered the smart brother lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the guy that moonlights as the Truth-O-Meter on weekends

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

what a sack of poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/thepoliticsund1/status/1309425403560374272?s=20

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/TomDCoates/status/1309437139369824256

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a ton of them are dying of heart attacks and car accidents too

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jose posted:

a ton of them are dying of heart attacks and car accidents too

Why don't they count all people ever who ever were police and since died

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://news.sky.com/story/four-wounded-in-knife-attack-near-former-charlie-hebdo-offices-in-paris-12081221

quote:

French terrorism authorities are investigating a knife attack that wounded two journalists near the former offices of the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris.

Police and soldiers were seen flooding into the neighbourhood in the east of France's capital, near the Richard Lenoir Metro station.

Officers cordoned off the area after a suspect package was noticed nearby, but French radio reported that no explosives were found.

A blade found at the scene was described by police sources as a machete or a meat cleaver.

"I saw a guy that was in his 30s or 40s with an axe in his hand who was walking behind a victim covered in blood…I can't tell you how many victims there was, I just saw one," witness Kader Alfa told The Associated Press.

An investigation has been opened into "attempted murder in relation with a terrorist enterprise", according to an official at the prosecutor's office.

The two people injured worked for documentary film company Premieres Lignes, according to founder Paul Moreira.

He told BFM television that the attacker fled into the subway, and the company's staff members were evacuated.

It was originally reported that four people had been injured in the attack.

French media BFM TV and Le Figaro reported a suspect had been arrested on the steps of the Paris Bastille opera
house.

A City Hall official said schoolchildren in nine schools in the area were being kept inside.

French Prime Minister Jean Castex arrived at the scene with Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin and Paris Mayor Anne
Hidalgo.

Islamist extremists attacked the Charlie Hebdo offices in 2015, killing 12 people.

The motive for this attack is unclear, and it is not known whether it is linked to Charlie Hebdo, which has moved its activities out of the area.

The attack comes three weeks after 14 people with suspected links to homegrown Islamist militants who attacked the Charlie Hebdo offices went on trial in Paris.

On the opening day of the trial, the magazine re-ran a series of cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed, which Muslims consider blasphemous.

The attackers' widows are scheduled to testify this afternoon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

him and a couple of other people insulted BTS yesterday

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1309544728476684290?s=20

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Putting the religious fanatic on the supreme court is fine actually because, you guessed it, she has impeccable credentials and her opinions will be brilliantly written.

https://twitter.com/ConnorSouthard/status/1309875231431880706?s=19

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Why don't they count all people ever who ever were police and since died

it worked for the black book

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/SamSacks/status/1309971973682982912?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/motokorich/status/1309610407959568384?p=v

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The LA times put out a video where they try to address their racist coverage.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-09-27/los-angeles-times-reckoning-with-racism

I could not imagine the peak of arrogance NYT doing the same and coming to terms with their lovely past/present, but hey maybe someday.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nytopinion/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/davidgross_man/status/1310191794991366147?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Please shut down opinion pieces forever

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

But think of all the useless rich people you'd put out of "work"

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Opinion pieces, but Taintrunner writes them all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cenotaph posted:

Opinion pieces, but Taintrunner writes them all.

Joe Biden is the Nickelback of Rapist Warmongers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I can get takes anywhere now. I don't see why the rest of the newspaper has to suffer to carry the burden of the Opinion page pissing off everyone all the time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I can get takes anywhere now. I don't see why the rest of the newspaper has to suffer to carry the burden of the Opinion page pissing off everyone all the time.

Quick, find me an NYT opinion piece on how the internet is all about harvesting clicks and trolling for attention, and that's why us newspapers have nothing to fear from it.

Bonus points if it is in the mid-later 1990s

I think you could do an opinion page that was good, but it'd have to be "how you'd explain an opinion page to a fourth grade classroom" rather than its literal opposite. Something like "find some people who are super knowledgeable/smart/good writers and have them opine on stuff now and then"

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Opinion columist should not be a job, but good opinion articles can exist.

In postponing Guston exhibition, the National Gallery and three other museums have made a terrible mistake

I feel like the article informs while laying out the position of the author, plus the paper actually fact checked it before publishing. They label it "perspective" not opinion so you don't compare it to the poo poo they publish under Opinions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

Quick, find me an NYT opinion piece on how the internet is all about harvesting clicks and trolling for attention, and that's why us newspapers have nothing to fear from it.

Bonus points if it is in the mid-later 1990s

I think you could do an opinion page that was good, but it'd have to be "how you'd explain an opinion page to a fourth grade classroom" rather than its literal opposite. Something like "find some people who are super knowledgeable/smart/good writers and have them opine on stuff now and then"

Right, it would probably be more like reporting, just asking experts to lay out their opinions instead of facts. I could see a good writer being able to package up the incomplete thoughts of subject matter experts into policy recommendations while fact-checking what they're being told.

That's very different than the current model of "Some rear end in a top hat gets paid $325,000 a year to act like s/he knows everything or just parrot the party line"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I guess the ultimate form of an opinion piece would be like having a smart friend that you ask for opinions, as they have thoughts that are illuminating/interesting/funny.

e: or is that what somethingawful is sometimes?

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Sep 28, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

there's no better place to get the most cutting insights into making GBS threads one's pants

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

They're resurrecting Thomas Nast?! :eyepop:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
lol did Bret Stephens make up a lesbian Trump supporter who shares all his own terrible political views

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1310789811473723392

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I loving dare Nate Silver to come over to my home, meet my wife and kids, and accuse me of fictionalizing lesbians to my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't this the entire point of rich assholes funding the news room? To generate an air of scrupulosity and accomplishment that they can then hang their friends' pro-fascism takes off of?