Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

I thought 5 a year still seemed very high but then saw this reply

https://twitter.com/HeftyLeftie/status/1309437161318551553?s=20

Are brave fallen bobbies
132 more police have died in the line of duty since 1680 than people have died in police custody since 1990, have some respect.

Also what even the hell were police before Peel's reforms? That's got to include a bunch of yeomen and bailiffs beholden to aristocracy who died after cutting themselves shaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Open all the boxes and pour them into a bathtub and then get in the bathtub naked and roll around in the crisp packets.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i see centrist columnists being surprised at boris doing a massive power grab with the internal market bill after he made it really clear that he was always going to

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Uh. I may have gone too far.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mebh posted:

Uh. I may have gone too far.

This is like scalpers getting all the PS5s. You'll make a mint.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Much as I like corbo and abbot I don't want them involved with whatever leftwing stuff happens next so in the extremely unlikely future of a left wing party actually emerging I'm more than happy for them to stay in labour.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

stev posted:

This is like scalpers getting all the PS5s. You'll make a mint.

I jokingly said that to the wife and she said "you're not using the goddamn beanie babie defense, I will stab you"

It's her birthday and she's diabetic. She grumpily ate a pack and glowered at me.

She's a good egg.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/25/london-facing-lockdown-on-coronavirus-watch-list-after-surge-in-cases-13325373/

quote:

It comes after crowds were seen flocking onto London’s streets and the Underground last night on the first night after the introduction of the 10pm curfew.

One witness described the Tubes as ‘the busiest I’ve seen in central London for months’ as everyone ‘rolled onto the streets’ with no staggered leaving times.

drat who could possibly have predicted this outcome

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

peanut- posted:

I thought 5 a year still seemed very high but then saw this reply

Are brave fallen bobbies

Lol it includes deaths during the civil war and both world wars

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm fairly sure that large amounts of staggering was involved in the leaving times.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"We only have 'til 10, better get munted quickly" is an entirely british outlook, in line with the previous "Better meet in a large group now, before they ban it for being incredibly unsafe."

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

2 tickets to Legoland nearly 100 quid bugger me. Also like what good is two tickets to most families?

I've got 2 tickets and am going in a couple of weeks, £20, well, although it's probably not worth it. Can take the doggo at least. There's probably ten bogof offers for tickets at any one time as well, you'd have to be an idiot to pay full price

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"We only have 'til 10, better get munted quickly" is an entirely british outlook, in line with the previous "Better meet in a large group now, before they ban it for being incredibly unsafe."

Surprised Ireland hasn't introduced this actually, we switched to 10pm off licence hours years ago, no pandemic required (just the weirdly powerful lobbying of the Vintners Federation of Ireland)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Glad you're back from mod tyranny FI.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Open all the boxes and pour them into a bathtub and then get in the bathtub naked and roll around in the crisp packets.

I thought we didn't kink shame ITT :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought we didn't kink shame ITT :colbert:

I am not shaming I'm telling you what I would do.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Glad you're back from mod tyranny FI.

:hai:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
reading about all the students in Glasgow forced to stay indoors after some covid outbreaks, who could possibly have forseen that telling students it was fine to move into a hall of residence for the rent money would lead to them being in close contact with others. it's not like there's famously an increase in infections in general at the start of uni even when there isn't a goddamn pandemic on. it'll be fine

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

There will presumably be a decent uptick in people just drinking outside after the pubs close at 10

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

There will presumably be a decent uptick in people just drinking outside after the pubs close at 10
Depends what and where. If it's kids in nottingham drinking stella in the park, 10k fine and how dare you, youth of today etc.

If it's littering the streets of Oxford with bottles of Bollinger, that's just cameraderie, boys will be boys, future captains of industry etc.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Angepain posted:

reading about all the students in Glasgow forced to stay indoors after some covid outbreaks, who could possibly have forseen that telling students it was fine to move into a hall of residence for the rent money would lead to them being in close contact with others. it's not like there's famously an increase in infections in general at the start of uni even when there isn't a goddamn pandemic on. it'll be fine

I feel bad for students at the moment, paying full whack for something that is being taught over Microsoft Teams and now they're locked into halls with people you wouldn't sit next to for a 5 minute bus journey. The Vitamin D deficiency alone is going to make everyone not massively chuffed with each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKPghZ5cc_E

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

This is better than them drinking indoors so

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

The Vitamin D deficiency alone is going to make everyone not massively chuffed with each other.
Also probably more likely to get the bad Covid symptoms.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Much as I like corbo and abbot I don't want them involved with whatever leftwing stuff happens next so in the extremely unlikely future of a left wing party actually emerging I'm more than happy for them to stay in labour.

As much as I have conflicted opinions about that generation, they have a presence that others don't and for any prospective left party it's pissing into the wind without recognisable faces in Parliament so they can't just get ignored. Just don't let them be in charge.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Students in Scotland probably aren't getting much Vitamin D at the best of times.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I'm genuinely envious of those of you worrying about the future of Labour, evidently expecting at some future date to head down to a local municipal building and cast a vote for your constituency MP to represent you at Westminister. The idea that any of those things will still exist in 2024 feels like a level of optimism I cannot muster. Maybe I spend too much time in the covid/economics/cool zone/climate collapse threads, but civic governance being basically the same as it is now in four years time seems frankly impossible to me. I'll be surprised if we make it to Spring what with the death toll to come, Brexit, and America going full fash.

Also scrolling past fweetman posts is practice for scrolling past the inevitable Spitting Image posts to come

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean if you lock 500 18 years olds in a building with nothing to do all day, I'm pretty sure the one thing they're not going to lack is the D.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

kyojin posted:

I'm genuinely envious of those of you worrying about the future of Labour, evidently expecting at some future date to head down to a local municipal building and cast a vote for your constituency MP to represent you at Westminister. The idea that any of those things will still exist in 2024 feels like a level of optimism I cannot muster. Maybe I spend too much time in the covid/economics/cool zone/climate collapse threads, but civic governance being basically the same as it is now in four years time seems frankly impossible to me. I'll be surprised if we make it to Spring what with the death toll to come, Brexit, and America going full fash.

Also scrolling past fweetman posts is practice for scrolling past the inevitable Spitting Image posts to come

In an entirely unsarcy and friendly way - To me this feels like the optimism.

I think that "normal" will extend a very long time into things going to complete poo poo and our state will carry on normalising everything for an unbelievably long time into the crisis.

Not that I think one is necessarily more likely than the other, it's just for me that's the true nightmare scenario is climate change, fascism and megadeath but we're still having GEs and the queen's speech and big brother or whatever

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I think that "normal" will extend a very long time into things going to complete poo poo and our state will carry on normalising everything for an unbelievably long time into the crisis.

Not that I think one is necessarily more likely than the other, it's just for me that's the true nightmare scenario is climate change, fascism and megadeath but we're still having GEs and the queen's speech and big brother or whatever

Agreed. The status quo is actively encouraging the coming holocausts (and climate apocalypse) while also actively impeding responses to them.

The old war needs to die - fast - if there's going to be any future at all

Edit of course what will probably happen is the liberal status quo will be replaced by a fascist one, worldwide lol

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 25, 2020

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Generally if you look at the evidence base the world actually tends to be quite a bit better than people think it is. Education, equality, health etc. That doesn't mean the various events that people mention aren't big challenges, more that we do have the capacity to change the world.

If you're focusing on the news your probably focusing on the wrong thing in my view. You can't change the news, go and give some time to something instead.

In other news. New IDLES is out today. Is good.

'Do you hear that thunder? It's the sound of strength in numbers.'

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 25, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Epic Store gave away Football Manager 2020 for free last week so I'm sinking back into my horrible addiction that has blighted me since first getting a PC in '97 or '98. And after 4 years clean as well. I blame the pandemic & not my lack of control

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

forkboy84 posted:

Epic Store gave away Football Manager 2020 for free last week so I'm sinking back into my horrible addiction that has blighted me since first getting a PC in '97 or '98. And after 4 years clean as well. I blame the pandemic & not my lack of control

Cue gammons moaning about it now modelling a pandemic and Brexit.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Yeah you're right, the idea of some big bang collapse is undeniably cathartic and offers at least the possibility of some sort of fresh start (plus at least some of the fuckers who deserve it will suffer), but a gradual worsening of everything is both more likely and more depressing. On the other hand, both Brexit & the US election (either Trump winning or Trump losing but not accepting it) both feel like there is the potential for rapid and unpredictable application of a lot of pressure onto a lot of people, maybe the whole rotten edifice breaks completely.

I suppose either way I just cannot bring myself to give a gently caress about the NEC and whatever Ker Sturmer is up to today. No disrespect to those posters who do though.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Zalakwe posted:

Generally if you look at the evidence base the world actually tends to be quite a bit better than people think it is. Education, equality, health etc. That doesn't mean the various events that people mention aren't big challenges, more that we do have the capacity to change the world.

If you're focusing on the news your probably focusing on the wrong thing in my view. You can't change the news, go and give some time to something instead.

think i agree with this. its what makes posting tweets so senseless

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

kyojin posted:

Yeah you're right, the idea of some big bang collapse is undeniably cathartic and offers at least the possibility of some sort of fresh start (plus at least some of the fuckers who deserve it will suffer), but a gradual worsening of everything is both more likely and more depressing. On the other hand, both Brexit & the US election (either Trump winning or Trump losing but not accepting it) both feel like there is the potential for rapid and unpredictable application of a lot of pressure onto a lot of people, maybe the whole rotten edifice breaks completely.

I suppose either way I just cannot bring myself to give a gently caress about the NEC and whatever Ker Sturmer is up to today. No disrespect to those posters who do though.

Yeah, I don't deny it's a good possibility though.
Historically every time right before some major upheaval you find lots of people going "yeah but things aren't gonna change just yet the status quo is too entrenched"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zalakwe posted:

:yeah:

kyojin posted:

If the Revolutions podcast has taught me anything, it's that nobody on the ground floor realizes that they're in a revolution until at least halfway through, and things don't escalate rapidly until right when they do.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
If we tax the wealth creators more they will leave :qq:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1309489773204115457?s=20

oh

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Born in failsworth and knighted for his services to investment.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What a galactic oval office:

Graun posted:

Ratcliffe, the founder and chief executive of petrochemicals company Ineos, was an ardent supporter of the vote leave campaign, declaring that the UK would thrive without red tape from Brussels.

After the referendum, he urged the government to adopt a tough approach to negotiations with the EU, saying: “We must listen, we must be unwaveringly polite and retain our charm. But there is no room for weakness or crumpling at 3am when the going gets tough and most points are won or lost.”

Ratcliffe said the EU needed access to the UK’s market as much as Britain needed access to the EU’s. “Never forget that we have a decent set of cards,” he said, adding: “Mercedes is not going to stop selling cars in the UK. And London is one of the two key financial centres, and that isn’t going to change.”

Ratcliffe, who owns 60% of Ineos, has seen his personal fortune increase from an estimated £9.5bn in January 2019 to £17.5bn today, according to the Bloomberg billionaires index. That estimated wealth has increased by £1.25bn so far this year alone, despite the coronavirus pandemic.

Graun posted:

It has been estimated that the move will save him £4bn in tax payments. People who live in Monaco for at least 183 days a year do not pay any income or property taxes.
His decision to quit Britain came soon after he was knighted by the Queen for “services to business and investment”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Zalakwe posted:

IDLES and Bob Vylan have kept me afloat this year.