Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oh his profile bio says evo psych, welp lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

honestly one of the stupidest things ive ever seen

but they have so much data

LOOK AT ALL THE FACE DOTS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

honestly one of the stupidest things ive ever seen

Turn on your monitor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like how trustworthiness went up over time, which totally confirms the model because, well, it’s obvious that it should.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I really like how we're back to phrenology. This is literally head measuring to determine attributes about people.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its retro rear end future of the master race

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
like its not some learning ai that recreated racism, they acknowledge the measures of "trustworthiness" is arbitrary and biased. but then they take the modem biases and assume they're universal and retroactively apply them to loving paintings, of the English nobility, and then try to correlate it with GDP (oh gently caress yeah gdp numbers for loving early modem England) and then go "democracy/capitalism encourages our leaders to present themselves as trustworthy" ignoring that those portraits were made for fellow nobility in an intentionally idealized fashion that reflects period dependent biases and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa did they not consult a single art historian or any historian at all.

they loving dress up a lovely bad math wank off as something smart by using vague and big words that mean basically "hey wouldn't it be cool if this was true? it probably isn't but hey have a chart with insane outliers still on it, science gently caress yeah"

e: oh and then they gave it a misleading title for clickbait and to go "gosh these people misunderstanding our stuff, tragic, sad"

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Sep 25, 2020

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I hope we develop reverse phrenology although I guess plastic surgery is just that

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
huh how strange as the past becomes the present, things start to look and act like how they do right now. if you then look at this trendline of a random rear end rising value that correlates with this trend you can see the obvious cause of this.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
want to take that paper, roll it up, and attack the authors while hooting like a gibbon

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/Solidarity_Star/status/1309362450228183040

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

huh how strange as the past becomes the present, things start to look and act like how they do right now. if you then look at this trendline of a random rear end rising value that correlates with this trend you can see the obvious cause of this.

Trustworthiness causes global warming. Got it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Getting published because I got a high r value for my proposed correlation of "date vs. time passed"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Platystemon posted:

Trustworthiness causes global warming. Got it.

No, ice cream causes global warming. We're stealing the cold from the environment and eating it!

Why would ice cream sales correlate with drowning otherwise? It's the sea levels, stupid!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

Getting published because I got a high r value for my proposed correlation of "date vs. time passed"

Just want you to know I laughed heartily at this

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The one on the left is telling the truth though?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Milo and POTUS posted:

The one on the left is telling the truth though?

Appearance of trustworthiness and actual trustworthiness are very different things, especially in the cyberpunk dystopia.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
which machine learning phrenology will help me determine which door only tells truths and which door only tells lies

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kitfox88 posted:

which machine learning phrenology will help me determine which door only tells truths and which door only tells lies

https://twitter.com/dr5bludgeoning/status/1026508411469488128

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
low INT high WIS

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/JoshKurp/status/1309484669709234176

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

oh his profile bio says evo psych, welp lmao

It's especially stupid even for evo psych

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

there's no AR

in order to be able to reliably track your movements, VR headsets need to be able to constantly determine the position of the headset in relation to some fixed point

in order to do that, either the VR headset will include cameras or other sensors that can search for that fixed point, or it'll require you to mount cameras or other sensors at fixed points that can search for IR lights on your headset. either method is perfectly capable of mapping the rest of your room while you're at it, albeit at low resolution

some of the newer ones dispense with the fixed points altogether. instead, they just use cameras to map your surroundings and identify landmarks they can use to determine their relative position. and lol if you think that whole map doesn't go to Facebook too

Huh, I always assumed that they did the position tracking with gyros and compasses.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Gods_Butthole posted:

Huh, I always assumed that they did the position tracking with gyros and compasses.

They use both, combining the data using sensor fusion techniques.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Dustcat posted:

lol get the gently caress out of here

well at least your data looks nice and clean

lol they couldn't even massage the data well enough to get a decent R value

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

i LoVe YoU!

loving idiots

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone have a link to this clip in non-tweet format?

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

taqueso posted:

They use both, combining the data using sensor fusion techniques.

More data = more better, I should have known.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone have a link to this clip in non-tweet format?

via https://twdown.net: https://i.imgur.com/b6q9DrK.mp4

terribly cooing "that's a heckin' proto-robo-police pupper"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

galenanorth posted:

via https://twdown.net: https://i.imgur.com/b6q9DrK.mp4

terribly cooing "that's a heckin' proto-robo-police pupper"

Thanks for both of these

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I don't know how you don't just kick that thing the gently caress over when it rolls up and starts taking your loving picture

e: and yeah I've seen the videos I know it'd get back up but still

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
liberals: "you can't judge a person's character by the color of their skin"

also liberals: "this computer can tell us how trustworthy someone is by analyzing their facial features"

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qh8c4vZl3b1r0uzl6.mp4

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Guys I'm stuck in a virtual work meeting watching a stream of a stream of a TedX talk about race and "expanding my social circle" to include people of color. Send help.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gods_Butthole posted:

Guys I'm stuck in a virtual work meeting watching a stream of a stream of a TedX talk about race and "expanding my social circle" to include people of color. Send help.

I too pick regular human friends based solely on the amount of melanin in their skin because I am a regular human with regular human feelings and that's how regular humans make regular human friends.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cowpocalypse posted:

liberals: "you can't judge a person's character by the color of their skin"

also liberals: "this computer can tell us how trustworthy someone is by analyzing their facial features"

Not to defend liberals because they're totally poo poo but I think if you're buying into the whole narrative that the tech industry is this bastion of progressivism then you've been had. I mean this truly, but if you want to see the future of the republican party, look at SV.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not to defend liberals because they're totally poo poo but I think if you're buying into the whole narrative that the tech industry is this bastion of progressivism then you've been had. I mean this truly, but if you want to see the future of the republican party, look at SV.

Liberals 👏 aren't 👏 progressive

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wait what the gently caress is this thing just doing out walking around? How does this thing not get stolen within like minutes of being released on its own?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just lol if you think that the future of the Republican party isn't actual Nazis and the future of the democrat party, who you will have to vote for in order to block the Nazis, isn't already these silicon valley dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bike tory posted:

Wait what the gently caress is this thing just doing out walking around? How does this thing not get stolen within like minutes of being released on its own?

Just lol if you think that the future of the Republican party isn't actual Nazis and the future of the democrat party, who you will have to vote for in order to block the Nazis, isn't already these silicon valley dudes

Whole clip it's likely staged, those things have terrible operating range