Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Well, I'm upgrading from a Series 1 so any change is monumental to me - the screen size, the speed, the battery are all wonderful.. but all of the reasons I went Series 6 instead of a cheaper 5 appear to be significant busts.

The Blood Oxygen monitoring is essentially useless. It only works when you are perfectly still, and I can only get it to read or read a normal measurement when I am wearing a band uncomfortably tight. The periodic measurements also don't work for that reason, and it isn't useful for what would be the coolest use, while exercising because of its limitations.

The blue, while nice, is VERY dark and in all but the brightest light is barely perceptible. Kind of a bummer.

The difference in AOD brightness is so miniscule.

I am almost certain I am going to return this and wait for another sale at the ~$300 level for the S5. Costco has them for that now, but only gold, which is a little too rose goldish for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
So my outdoor trial with my S6 went well. Spent most of the day outside and did an hours worth of walking workouts in addition to normal use. Battery went from 100% at 9:30am to about 65% at 7pm.

I also installed the patch last night and the watch seems to have used a lot less battery for sleep tracking last night. No idea if that is coincidence or not.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cozmosis posted:

Well, I'm upgrading from a Series 1 so any change is monumental to me - the screen size, the speed, the battery are all wonderful.. but all of the reasons I went Series 6 instead of a cheaper 5 appear to be significant busts.

The Blood Oxygen monitoring is essentially useless. It only works when you are perfectly still, and I can only get it to read or read a normal measurement when I am wearing a band uncomfortably tight. The periodic measurements also don't work for that reason, and it isn't useful for what would be the coolest use, while exercising because of its limitations.

The blue, while nice, is VERY dark and in all but the brightest light is barely perceptible. Kind of a bummer.

The difference in AOD brightness is so miniscule.

I am almost certain I am going to return this and wait for another sale at the ~$300 level for the S5. Costco has them for that now, but only gold, which is a little too rose goldish for me.

I can't find a non-Gold S5 anywhere, pretty sure stock was blown out a while ago.

They were on the refurb store a few days after the S6 launch but they're sold out. I'll probably wait and see if they restock.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

FCKGW posted:

I can't find a non-Gold S5 anywhere, pretty sure stock was blown out a while ago.

They were on the refurb store a few days after the S6 launch but they're sold out. I'll probably wait and see if they restock.

Yeah, something told me last week to order one from the refurb store but I held out. Some retailers still seem to have stock (like Best Buy) but are sitting at original retail price so I’ll see how it goes over the next 2 weeks or so. I may end up keeping the S6 for this reason - with Costco’s discount it’s only like 80 bucks or so more than the refurb store S5 so not the end of the world (and I clearly keep my watches for multiple years).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Really digging the SE so far. The larger screen is nice and the battery is pretty legit. Been wearing the watch for 12 hours now and its still at 80%. No workout obv. but still nice.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Updated to watch OS7 now HomeKit is frustrating.

Now every time I try to say "downstairs day" (which is a group of lights in my house) my watch asks "do you want me to do this in your home yes/no."

It used to just do what I said without asking.

After realizing my wifes watch doesn't do this I determined its because I have my classroom as a second home in HomeKit (yeah yeah im a huge nerd).

I removed it and my watch went back to just taking my orders... but I liked my HomeKit in my classroom.

Anyone encountered this and found a solution? I just want siri to stop asking for permission on my watch.

Phone still works at least.

Edit: Made things make sense

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 26, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Updated to watch OS7

Now every time I try to say "downstairs day" my watch asks "do you want me to do this in your home yes/no."

After realizing my wifes watch doesn't do this I determined its because I have my classroom as a second home (yeah yeah im a huge nerd).

I removed it and my watch went back to just taking my orders... but I liked my second home.

Anyone encountered this and found a solution?

I have no ideas what this post means. What’s a “downstairs day”? What’s a second home?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I have no ideas what this post means. What’s a “downstairs day”? What’s a second home?

Sorry, was frustrated.

I used to be able to tell siri to turn my lights on with home kit.

Now, siri asks for permission to execute every command every time I try to control the lights.

This goes back to normal If I remove my second house in homekit.

Edit: its like my watch is overly worried it will send a command to the wrong house in home kit now. I removed my second home for now in homekit.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 26, 2020

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

spunkshui posted:

Edit: its like my watch is overly worried it will send a command to the wrong house in home kit now. I removed my second home for now in homekit.

I had a similar thing happen to my shortcuts on the phone after the update and moving to a S6. The fix for me was to go into the shortcuts app, tap to edit a shortcut and it showed 2 versions of each one. Just chose one(I assume they're the same) to use and it cleared up. I've never used Homekit but it sounds familiar.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I had a similar thing happen to my shortcuts on the phone after the update and moving to a S6. The fix for me was to go into the shortcuts app, tap to edit a shortcut and it showed 2 versions of each one. Just chose one(I assume they're the same) to use and it cleared up. I've never used Homekit but it sounds familiar.

Basically in homekit your lights show up and then you can group several lights together under command like “downstairs day.”

None of the commands are the same between the two houses.

The crazy part about this is that it all used to just work. I never once had a problem with the command being issued and then going to the wrong house or something. It tracks your location and knows what house you’re in for fucks sake.

I’m just really glad I found a workaround by deleting “the clasroom house” because I had to say a command and then every single time look at my watch and click “yes.”

TLDR: Homekit “light scenes” ask for permission if you have one more home before they activate. This is new with OS7 and I hate it.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 26, 2020

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

spunkshui posted:

I’m just really glad I found a workaround by deleting “the clasroom house” because I had to say a command and then every single time look at my watch and click “yes.”

TLDR: Homekit “light scenes” ask for permission if you have one more home before they activate. This is new with OS7 and I hate it.

That was the exact same thing that was happening to me, but with simple shortcuts for things like playing a shuffled playlist. Sounds like the same bug in a new form, I'd give AppleCare a call and ask for a supervisor/senior advisor at the very least to diagnose it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I load up the peloton app on my phone and my watch. the app syncs, no problem. but it won't display my heart rate, even though it will show me the work out as I ride and I can pause it. What gives?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

spunkshui posted:

Basically in homekit your lights show up and then you can group several lights together under command like “downstairs day.”

None of the commands are the same between the two houses.

The crazy part about this is that it all used to just work. I never once had a problem with the command being issued and then going to the wrong house or something. It tracks your location and knows what house you’re in for fucks sake.

You can get around this by making a shortcut named "Downstairs Day" and having a single Home action that triggers the "downstairs day" scene. You might need to change the name of the scene in Home.app to something that won't clash (if it does, I dunno I don't have two houses; or change the name of the shortcut to something else) with the name of the shortcut. Once you do that you can just say "Hey Siri Downstairs Day" and it shouldn't ask you to confirm anything.

Don't get me wrong you shouldn't have to do this but I'm 99% sure it'll fix your issue.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 26, 2020

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

LionArcher posted:

So I load up the peloton app on my phone and my watch. the app syncs, no problem. but it won't display my heart rate, even though it will show me the work out as I ride and I can pause it. What gives?

Hmm maybe an update removed it? I’d do yoga with my iPhone and it would show the heart rate. Might have to look at the health app and see what permissions you are giving Peloton. I might try it on my phone tomorrow and see if mine show heart rate. Been using appletv for non bike stuff and unfortunately there isn’t any watch integration.

Gym kit with my Bike+ is pretty cool so far.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Just upgraded to a 6. Sometimes when a notification pops up, it seems to disappear under the always on display, and then touching the display seems to dismiss the notification. Given this is an Apple device, I assume there is stupid obvious mistake I'm making here.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ended the day with 50% battery on my 6 :toot:

Who wants to buy a 5???

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I know it doesn’t matter but for some reason the watch broke my longest move streak record on the 14th even though it wasn’t broken. I just noticed that. There goes a 2+ year streak because of a bug.

E: Actually this makes no sense.

Watch:

iPhone:

Well which is it? 🤔

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 28, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think you might need to bump your move goal a touch.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ended the day with 50% battery on my 6 :toot:

Who wants to buy a 5???

Better sell it with an alt in SA-Mart :v:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I wish changing the sleep schedule on the watch wasn’t such a pain. It’s decently easy on the phone just wish it was easier on the watch. I also wish I didn’t have to schedule sleep. It’d be nice to just have a button press for it and set an alarm each morning.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Every day I see this thread in my bookmarks list and every day I take a moment to appreciate the title. It's so perfect and should never change.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just realized you can't access your iCloud Notes on the watch. What a bummer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are workout maps working for anyone with iOS 14? It’s completely broken for me, just showing the starting point, and it seems like the workouts don’t even have the GPS info that I normally can export to Strava.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

smackfu posted:

Are workout maps working for anyone with iOS 14? It’s completely broken for me, just showing the starting point, and it seems like the workouts don’t even have the GPS info that I normally can export to Strava.

My boss was complaining about that as well. Said he read that wipe and new set up was said to fix it, but not sure if 14.01 fixed it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bob A Feet posted:

I wish changing the sleep schedule on the watch wasn’t such a pain. It’s decently easy on the phone just wish it was easier on the watch. I also wish I didn’t have to schedule sleep. It’d be nice to just have a button press for it and set an alarm each morning.

I'm not sure exactly what you want but if you are just looking to turn on sleep mode/tracking without an alarm you can just do that on the watch's control center. Normal alarm setup seperately is optional.

If you want one button press to start sleep mode and set an alarm at the same time you can probably get a shortcut to do that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I haven't had an issue with the few runs I've been on since the 7/14 update.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Zero One posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you want but if you are just looking to turn on sleep mode/tracking without an alarm you can just do that on the watch's control center. Normal alarm setup seperately is optional.

If you want one button press to start sleep mode and set an alarm at the same time you can probably get a shortcut to do that.

No poo poo? I turned it to manual... how do I turn off the wake up time? Thank you!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence, but my Series 4’s battery has gone to absolute poo poo since WatchOS 7 dropped. Like, it just died after 10 hours today when I could easily get 16 hours before. Connecting to the charger after that rebooted it and it said it had 49% battery left, but that’s clearly not true since it wouldn’t actually stay on when removed from the charger. I unpaired and re-paired and that doesn’t seem to have done anything. Off to the Apple Store. Sigh.

Violator
May 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

Well drat, now that you bring it up I have the same issue.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had that issue last year when I got my 5.

I think a reboot or an un-pair/re-pair fixed it. Never saw it again.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
poo poo all my bike rides didn’t show up!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
New watch owner and am confused as to why the watch is not detecting my standing minutes all the time. For example it shows that I have a couple hundred steps this hour, from me pacing around while on calls, but it still registers 0 stands for this hour. How can it think I've walked around without standing? How can I make it know I stand so I get the stupid credit on the rings?

Violator
May 15, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

New watch owner and am confused as to why the watch is not detecting my standing minutes all the time. For example it shows that I have a couple hundred steps this hour, from me pacing around while on calls, but it still registers 0 stands for this hour. How can it think I've walked around without standing? How can I make it know I stand so I get the stupid credit on the rings?

I think you have to be walking around for at least 1 consecutive minute I believe. If you just pace around and sit down it doesn't count.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I had that issue last year when I got my 5.

I think a reboot or an un-pair/re-pair fixed it. Never saw it again.

Tried rebooting and then tried unpairing/re-pairing and it’s still broken. Also can’t get my Watch to unlock my Mac any more, wonder if that’s related.

Edit: This says Apple is aware of it so hopefully there’s a fix soon:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/23/apple-watch-os-7-gps-workout-data-missing/

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Yeaaaah, WatchOS7 is extremely buggy for me. I've had it crash sending an emoji reply to a workout, refuse to see activity during a workout, stick at minimum brightness until a reboot, battery life issues, etc...

It's almost like they rushed the release out alongside a rushed iOS :hmm:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Battery seems better today. Down to 50% at about 12 hours, which is certainly better than I was getting the last couple days. I have an Apple Store appointment for Monday night, but if it stays like this, I’ll be okay. Not as great as it had been, but at least it’s not dying at 5 PM.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

Yep I also have this it turns out.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

TraderStav posted:

Every day I see this thread in my bookmarks list and every day I take a moment to appreciate the title. It's so perfect and should never change.

You’re welcome.

Oh hey I remember you, we used to play Hero Academy!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

dutchbstrd posted:

Keep your watch arm down by your side. The watch detects "standing" if your arm is down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

You’re welcome.

Oh hey I remember you, we used to play Hero Academy!

Indeed, that was a hell of a game! I checked it and the sequel out a year or so ago and found a F2P garbage game of poo poo and was saddened.