Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Wasn't there a Puppet Master film made recently that was hugely anti-semetic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Littlest Reich, yes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason that movie made Toulon a Nazi, which is really weird considering the rest of the series has him fighting them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It was also written (and directed?) by S. Craig Zahler, who did Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99. It establishes a bit of a pattern regarding apparent white supremacy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Inspector Gesicht posted:

And racist, and misogynist. Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich is a celebration of hate, and glories in horrifically murdering women, black people, and Jews. It not only rejects the continuity and lore of the Puppet Master series, it also drops all the weirdness of the series. It just wants to show you puppets murdering people who aren't straight white men.

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason that movie made Toulon a Nazi, which is really weird considering the rest of the series has him fighting them.

Yeah, not only were the Puppets created to fight the nazis, Puppet Masters 10-12 are a trilogy about someone else finding them after Toulon was killed by nazis and using them to fight nazis, who then make their own evil nazi puppets, which are defeated by the good guy puppets.

The first 12 Puppet Master movies are not good movies, but they at least are consistent on nazis being the bad guys.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Like even the first movie where Toulon wasn't exactly a good guy he was still anti Nazi.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sucks, I wonder how Thomas Lennon got involved in that. Zahler can do one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Like even the first movie where Toulon wasn't exactly a good guy he was still anti Nazi.

No, Toulon was dead in the first movie. He was a bad guy in the second, which doesn't fit his characterization in the third movie at all, but I guess you can chalk it up to like, going crazy from being dead? But then his ghost shows up in the fourth movie and he's a good guy again just like in the third movie. And then in the seventh they refer to the events of the second as, like, a character flaw? You know, oh he's such a good guy, but even he once became a crazy mannequin man and tried to kill people, he had layers.

As I said, it's not a good series. But it did not deserve The Littlest Reich

EL BROMANCE posted:

The thing is, the real hatefulness of the movie comes across in how gleefully it depicts the murders. I can easily imagine reading the script and thinking it was just going to be a lovely slasher movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The first two are pretty alright for DTV horror, and way ahead most of Full Moon's output like Evil Bong 5 or Gingerdead Man.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Gonna guess that he heard "the writer of Bone Tomahawk" and signed before the pattern clearly emerged on Zahler's work.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Shrunken Heads is where it's at.

(I'm betting that it hasn't aged well)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Great classic schlocky 80s key are destroyed by an awful graphic designer.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

feedmyleg posted:

Gonna guess that he heard "the writer of Bone Tomahawk" and signed before the pattern clearly emerged on Zahler's work.

Gonna bet he saw that he'd get a paycheck and jumped on board.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lennon works enough that I seriously doubt he's got to take any job that comes across his plate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gripweed posted:

No, Toulon was dead in the first movie.

He's at the very beginning of the movie where he kills himself to escape Nazi agents.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

He's at the very beginning of the movie where he kills himself to escape Nazi agents.

Yeah but in that scene he's a total good guy. Sacrificing yourself to keep magical puppet technology out of the hands of the nazis is a heroic act, imo. He's only not exactly a good guy in the second movie.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Dragged Across Concrete is even more racist but the only good character in the film is black.

Still like all his movies though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gripweed posted:

The first 12 Puppet Master movies are not good movies, but they at least are consistent on nazis being the bad guys.

Like even the worst movie should be able to get at least this right.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In honor of the first dub teaser coming out today.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I had no idea there were that many Puppet Masters. The fact that you can have a phrase like "The first 12 Puppet Master movies are not good movies, but" is insane.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The first few had some great stop-motion animation, but very quickly they switched to "guy off-screen is holding the puppet and just kind of wiggling it around" and "literally let's just recycle the stop motion footage from the first one." One of them is just a clip show.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Baron von Eevl posted:

One of them is just a clip show.

Pupper Master: Endgame

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I watched the Rifftrax version of Retro Puppet Master. Granted, I wasn't paying much attention, but I was honestly surprised how incomprehensible it was. Was this my fault, or was it just a bad movie?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean yeah it's a pretty bad movie, but it's got Greg Sestero from The Room and it's probably one of the better movies of David DeCoteau's career. I mean it's no A Talking Cat?!?! but what is?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

David DeCoteau directed the movie with the best title ever:

:worship:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Got halfway through typing the title into google and it just stopped offering autocomplete suggestions.

"Are you sure you wanna know more about this movie, dude?"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Joe Bob Briggs did it on Shudder, probably the best way to watch it.

It was supposed to get a sequel...last year? this year? but it never seemed to materialize despite it's Valentine's Day streaming release date.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

caligulamprey posted:

David DeCoteau directed the movie with the best title ever:

:worship:

For some reason this reminded me that another movie is currently $5 for the 4K version on iTunes...

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I love how SBitSBoR is like a schlockier version of Hobgoblins.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't hobgoblins a schlockier Gremlins?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't hobgoblins a schlockier Gremlins?

it's schlock all the way down, friend

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Light Gun Man posted:

Joe Bob Briggs did it on Shudder, probably the best way to watch it.

So what's the deal with this guy now? The last time I paid attention it was all about how he was giving dodgy opinions in super dodgy outlets... but now I'm not seeing any mention, but nor am I seeing any apologies or anything like that. Did people just stop caring?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zenintrude posted:

For some reason this reminded me that another movie is currently $5 for the 4K version on iTunes...

Look at the actor's faces. No one in that poster is happy to be there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Madkal posted:

Look at the actor's faces. No one in that poster is happy to be there.

I saw part of that movie, and all I can remember is that Roddy piper looked like he had the flu

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

EL BROMANCE posted:

So what's the deal with this guy now? The last time I paid attention it was all about how he was giving dodgy opinions in super dodgy outlets... but now I'm not seeing any mention, but nor am I seeing any apologies or anything like that. Did people just stop caring?

He’s a dumb old dingus and we don’t need him

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

EL BROMANCE posted:

So what's the deal with this guy now? ZsThe last time I paid attention it was all about how he was giving dodgy opinions in super dodgy outlets... but now I'm not seeing any mention, but nor am I seeing any apologies or anything like that. Did people just stop caring?

He was writing articles for a website for a bit who the owner of turned out to be a shithead. He stopped writing for them. People seem to want to cancel him a lot but he's always been the kind of guy who supports minorities, LGBTQ, etc so I don't really see why. He is like old as hell now so I guess some of his jokes and rants don't exactly land right for everyone?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

I saw part of that movie, and all I can remember is that Roddy piper looked like he had the flu

Hell comes to frog town is a lot of things, but unmemorable ain’t one

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Now I really wanna see this.

https://twitter.com/headexposure/status/1309108897739874307

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I know people here seem to have strong reactions to Tyler Stout posters, but he's got a new one on sale for the next couple of hours as a timed edition that I think is pretty neat, and the story behind it is interesting as well:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/behold-the-...HeDEkI59w_HIch0

quote:

What’s most unique about this poster though is that Stout went through every step himself. He didn’t just do the art. He also purchased the rights and dealt with the executives so he could release this officially licensed poster on his own. Unfortunately, the rights only came with the likenesses of Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn, no Arnold Schwarzenegger, so he had to find creative ways to get around that.

Legit didn't realize it lacked Arnie's face until I read this.

You can buy one here until 11:59am PST (cuz thats when his rights expire, lol): https://tstout.bigcartel.com/product/terminator-regular-timed-edition

He is dropping the variant edition randomly so you'll probably need a bot or browser plugin to catch it, the last batch sold out before I could even get through the Paypal screen.