Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’ve got a hornworm, if you get what I’m saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

quote:

M. quinquemaculata larvae are large green caterpillars reaching a length of up to 10 cm (3.9 inches) when fully grown.

Sounds about right...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

oh the thread continued

Scientastic posted:

I’m sure there are plenty of willing posters who would test that recipe if you sent them the hornworms

Sadly, I live in the UK, and I don’t think they’d survive the trip

do they not have tomato hornworms in the UK? I thought they were worldwide pests.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made the mistake of smashing a hornworm with a brick on my driveway. The carnage spread for several feet in each direction and the stain lasted for months.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've eaten some tasty bugs but they were all crunchy. Caterpillars seem repulsive.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Grand Fromage posted:

I've eaten some tasty bugs but they were all crunchy. Caterpillars seem repulsive.

Anything that has evolved to turn into goo inside a coffin it made for itself and then rise again from the state of liquification doesnt seem like it'd be good eats

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Eat This Glob posted:

Anything that has evolved to turn into goo inside a coffin it made for itself and then rise again from the state of liquification doesnt seem like it'd be good eats

Listen bud, we like goo around here.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

As I mentioned in the gardening thread, the only caterpillars I've eaten are maguey caterpilliars, and both species of maguey caterpillars taste more or less like whatever they were seasoned with plus a slightly sour umami flavour. The white ones, which I've always seen called gusanos de maguey although I'm willing to bet this is regional, are a little plumper/meatier and have a slightly stronger flavour, and the red ones--chilocuiles--are thinner and milder. But I haven't had either more than a couple times, so I'm willing to believe that some of the differences in my flavour perceptions was due to differences in preparation rather than the caterpillars themselves.

Chilocuiles (dunno about the white ones) are also sometimes eaten raw, which I've never tried, or dried. One of the ways the dried ones are consumed is ground up with salt and chili powder, which tastes like a smoky seasoned salt.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Totally Reasonable posted:

Listen bud, we like goo around here.

Im more of a glob man, tbh

e: id definitely give dried caterpillars a try

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

glob 'a goo is a famous italian dish, i have heard.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the default way that caterpillars deter predation is by tasting awful. the ones we eat hosed that up and then peeps selectivdly bred them

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Silkworm pupae are top 5 in most repulsive things I've eaten, I think. And somehow they smell even worse than they taste, and if they're being prepared fresh that poo poo stinks up like a hundred meter radius.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I loving HATE the tomato hornworms

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's what good pupae sounds like

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i like the smell of silkworms :colbert:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grand Fromage posted:

Silkworm pupae are top 5 in most repulsive things I've eaten, I think. And somehow they smell even worse than they taste, and if they're being prepared fresh that poo poo stinks up like a hundred meter radius.

Sounds like that time I ate surströmming in a park in Edinburgh

100m downwind of me, people were screaming about smelling a dead body

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Sounds like that time I ate surströmming in a park in Edinburgh

100m downwind of me, people were screaming about smelling a dead body
And that was before you opened the tin! :rimshot:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SubG posted:

Chilocuiles (dunno about the white ones) are also sometimes eaten raw, which I've never tried, or dried. One of the ways the dried ones are consumed is ground up with salt and chili powder, which tastes like a smoky seasoned salt.

I think this is what's called sal de gusano, which is a pretty common ingredient in Baja cooking from what I've seen. I've never used it, but if I'm going to eat worms a ground-up version seems like the easiest way to start.

A whole tomato horn worm, even fried up enticingly like Gravity posted, is a big nope from me at this point. Maybe after society collapses and I'm forced to subsist on whatever I can gather in the killing fields of suburban Vegas I'll consider it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bartolimu posted:

I think this is what's called sal de gusano, which is a pretty common ingredient in Baja cooking from what I've seen. I've never used it, but if I'm going to eat worms a ground-up version seems like the easiest way to start.

A whole tomato horn worm, even fried up enticingly like Gravity posted, is a big nope from me at this point. Maybe after society collapses and I'm forced to subsist on whatever I can gather in the killing fields of suburban Vegas I'll consider it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of protein powders use worm to get the protein up so you've probably had it already!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I usually just take pruning shears and snip em and they usually deflate into a pool of guts and, like, a shockingly large amount of plant pulp. I feel like fried hornworm sticks would be like horror film mozzerella sticks.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of protein powders use worm to get the protein up so you've probably had it already!

I've never used a protein powder for anything so uh, probably not. But I'm not opposed to insect protein in general. When I was in Jalisco I had chapulines (grasshoppers) and while the preparation was kinda bad I didn't hate the bugs themselves. Would try again.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I usually just take pruning shears and snip em and they usually deflate into a pool of guts and, like, a shockingly large amount of plant pulp. I feel like fried hornworm sticks would be like horror film mozzerella sticks.

That was my thought to. So big, plump, and juicy, like a hot dog casing full of pus.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cicadas were far and away the tastiest bugs I've had.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I go through my tomatoes with chopsticks, pulling off any worms that I find. I just throw them on to the hot Vegas pavement and they mummify in minutes.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bartolimu posted:

I've never used a protein powder for anything so uh, probably not. But I'm not opposed to insect protein in general. When I was in Jalisco I had chapulines (grasshoppers) and while the preparation was kinda bad I didn't hate the bugs themselves. Would try again.

That was my thought to. So big, plump, and juicy, like a hot dog casing full of pus.

I did not need to read that.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I go through my tomatoes with chopsticks, pulling off any worms that I find. I just throw them on to the hot Vegas pavement and they mummify in minutes.

Same but without the mummification and with more yeeting off the deck.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

A hot dog casing full of pus? What are you, my wife?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

oh the thread continued

do they not have tomato hornworms in the UK? I thought they were worldwide pests.

I've never seen one. Wiki says America and Australia so you two can :hf: terrifying insect/invertebrate buddies!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I've been cooking for literally three weeks so I'm still not very good, but today is the first time that I made something loving delicious.

Like, I even gave some to my grandpa and while he was concerned at first, he took a bite, then another bite, then another bite and started grunting affirmatively.

Basically what's up is I'm living with my grandpa, and after something like 15 years of only eating frozen meals I finally broke down and asked for a grocery allowance. Sixty dollars a week, so less than we were paying before for far, far more fresh food. It's been an absolute wonderland for me lol, especially when I found out I could make something like 8 pounds of food for less than 15$. I've gotten so much better at chopping peppers now, it used to take me 10-15 minutes and I'd get all these uneven chunks, whereas this time I got it done in about 4 minutes and it was all nicely diced.

I'm just so happy lol. It's been a lovely year for me like it has been for everyone so learning how to cook has been a huge huge motivator for me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

klapman posted:

I've been cooking for literally three weeks so I'm still not very good, but today is the first time that I made something loving delicious.

Like, I even gave some to my grandpa and while he was concerned at first, he took a bite, then another bite, then another bite and started grunting affirmatively.

Basically what's up is I'm living with my grandpa, and after something like 15 years of only eating frozen meals I finally broke down and asked for a grocery allowance. Sixty dollars a week, so less than we were paying before for far, far more fresh food. It's been an absolute wonderland for me lol, especially when I found out I could make something like 8 pounds of food for less than 15$. I've gotten so much better at chopping peppers now, it used to take me 10-15 minutes and I'd get all these uneven chunks, whereas this time I got it done in about 4 minutes and it was all nicely diced.

I'm just so happy lol. It's been a lovely year for me like it has been for everyone so learning how to cook has been a huge huge motivator for me.

:gizz:

Ah, that’s the good stuff right there. What a delightful post to read. Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of cooking!

Have you read the cheap cooking thread?

Edit: here. Full of invaluable advice and recipes

PS isn’t the feeling of knowing you’ve cooked something delicious for yourself and other people incredibly gratifying? It’s even better if it was cheap and nutritious.

therattle fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 1, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The sp00n zone has passed from this world, and a new sp00n zone appears . . .

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

therattle posted:

:gizz:

Ah, that’s the good stuff right there. What a delightful post to read. Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of cooking!

Have you read the cheap cooking thread?

Edit: here. Full of invaluable advice and recipes

PS isn’t the feeling of knowing you’ve cooked something delicious for yourself and other people incredibly gratifying? It’s even better if it was cheap and nutritious.

You forgot your link

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

drrockso20 posted:

You forgot your link

:doh:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278&perpage=40&noseen=1

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

klapman posted:

Congrats. Knowing how to cook is invaluable, and learning how to cook is fun and rewarding.

You might try making some casseroles. They're generally easy and you'll get practice prepping ingredients.

Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and Ruhlman's Twenty are good books about cooking. Looks like the Twenty ebook is only four bux right now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

This smoking meat fb group I'm in has been posting something called georgia stew lately. Anyone know anything about it? I guess it's also called Brunswick stew? Recipes online look like pulled pork, chicken things, corn, potato, okra, lima beans, and tomato. Sounds like it's either really good or really bad, no in between.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Whaddya wanna know? It's this thing. Basically a stew with stuff in it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sounds like it's either really good or really bad, no in between.

That is correct.

It's a standard item at NC bbq places. The ones that use fresh veggies are great, the ones that use canned are poo poo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GrAviTy84 posted:

This smoking meat fb group I'm in has been posting something called georgia stew lately. Anyone know anything about it? I guess it's also called Brunswick stew? Recipes online look like pulled pork, chicken things, corn, potato, okra, lima beans, and tomato. Sounds like it's either really good or really bad, no in between.
It’s one of the better ways to eat squirrel, which isn’t saying much.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's just I've never heard of it but for some reason I've seen like a dozen posts about it recently. Idk. Curious.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Stringent posted:

That is correct.

It's a standard item at NC bbq places. The ones that use fresh veggies are great, the ones that use canned are poo poo.

This post awakened a deep memory in me of when Anne Burrell opened a new restaurant next to my apartment that sold an 'insalata chopata'

Which was an 11 dollar plate where they bought one of each canned vegetable at the shoprite down the street and mixed them together

Also the cheese and crackers plate which again, was literally triscuits and dijon mustard from next door with some random sweaty wax cheese for 9ish bucks

That restaurant closed real fuckin fast

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

postmodifier posted:

This post awakened a deep memory in me of when Anne Burrell opened a new restaurant next to my apartment that sold an 'insalata chopata'

Which was an 11 dollar plate where they bought one of each canned vegetable at the shoprite down the street and mixed them together

Also the cheese and crackers plate which again, was literally triscuits and dijon mustard from next door with some random sweaty wax cheese for 9ish bucks

That's hilarious. To be fair to the bbq joints with lovely stew, NC isn't a particularly vegetable eating place, so lovely stew didn't always mean lovely restaurant. That said, the places with good stew were always the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

postmodifier posted:

I remember reading about this place when it closed. For fun, here's a picture of that salad that the restaurant themselves put up on Yelp. Imagine paying 14$ for this: