Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018
So after reforming Zun and spreading the One True Faith across the Empire I had a breakout of the Black Death in my court.

My heir caught it at the age of 7, but luckily chopping off his face seemed to cure him right up.

My ruler was not so lucky and croaked leaving the Empire in the hands of my now disfigured heir.

After a surprisingly smooth childhood Sadri turned 16, focussed on the military and was almost immediately gifted with an event giving him a personal war elephant and an extra 10 prowess.

From then on it seemed clear that the only thing to do was invade the world.

This is young Sadri today:

Keep in mind this is without the bonus skillpoints from friendships because it just became too annoying to constantly be befriending.

Before him the Empire reached as far as Egypt, so he focussed his ambitions on Europe.
Several Great Purification Wars and an invasion of Byzantine later and he has remade the world in his image:

His heir is a genius, herculean, beautiful, fecund giant. But honestly I am thinking of simply granting all my vassals independence so that I can get the Dynasty of Many Crowns achievement.

e: imgs

ElectronicOldMen fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I do wonder, if you’re a woman in a polygamous marriage, or with three male concubines, how you know whose kids is whose

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jay Rust posted:

I do wonder, if you’re a woman in a polygamous marriage, or with three male concubines, how you know whose kids is whose

A Monthly rota?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How do I take titles away from counts? It says they're not my direct vassal, but I'm actually their duke despite also being an emperor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ElectronicOldMen posted:

I am thinking of simply granting all my vassals independence so that I can get the Dynasty of Many Crowns achievement.

I've been trying to grant my dynastic vassal Kings independence and get told I can't do it because they're not my de jure vassals.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

How do I take titles away from counts? It says they're not my direct vassal, but I'm actually their duke despite also being an emperor.

you should be able to right-click them and select 'Revoke Title", assuming you have enough Crown Authority in your realm (anything but Autonomous Vassals will do)

Jedit posted:

I've been trying to grant my dynastic vassal Kings independence and get told I can't do it because they're not my de jure vassals.

That's odd, it should be the opposite -you can't grant independence to De Jure vassals!

Did you maybe integrate those titles into your primary title?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ElectronicOldMen posted:

So after reforming Zun and spreading the One True Faith across the Empire I had a breakout of the Black Death in my court.

So far across 5 plague outbreaks in my court I've successfully avoided 4 by pausing and quickly marrying the offending courtier off to someone far away

The 5th was married so no such luck

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Excelzior posted:

you should be able to right-click them and select 'Revoke Title", assuming you have enough Crown Authority in your realm (anything but Autonomous Vassals will do)

That's odd, it should be the opposite -you can't grant independence to De Jure vassals!

Did you maybe integrate those titles into your primary title?

It tells me I can't because they're not my direct vassals. Despite being one

It also won't let me imprison anyone because of some disparate tribes law despite being a feudal empire.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Not sure why being Just means that I gain stress for executing a cannibal. Like, I'm glad my Shahanshah has a progressive view on capital punishment but my dude, this man has literally been eating people. No one gives a poo poo if you wanna behead him.

Jay Rust posted:

Your character has a sixth sense and always knows who's kid it is, somehow. Understandably they occasionally question how you know this, but you're always 100% right. I should probably try sleeping around and see if I can get away with that.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 25, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Azhais posted:

So far across 5 plague outbreaks in my court I've successfully avoided 4 by pausing and quickly marrying the offending courtier off to someone far away

The 5th was married so no such luck

bioweaponized marriage - delightfully devilish

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

Do they say" Your vassal" or "Vassal in your realm"?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jarvisi posted:

It also won't let me imprison anyone because of some disparate tribes law despite being a feudal empire.

That last one is a known bug, so it strikes me as possible something's hosed up in your country's laws that is stopping you revoking, and the tooltip explaining why you can't revoke is wrong because nobody wrote a tooltip that said "your realm's laws are bugged to poo poo"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, I noticed that my wife was looking really unwell. Who wouldn't after having 7 kids? But she was looking really poorly. Turned out she was both unappetitic and a lesbian, and I hadn't noticed despite being married for thirty years.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

sullat posted:

Yeah, I noticed that my wife was looking really unwell. Who wouldn't after having 7 kids? But she was looking really poorly. Turned out she was both unappetitic and a lesbian, and I hadn't noticed despite being married for thirty years.
Well ok, but this is thread about a game.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
What does it mean to integrate titles? How does this benefit me to do it

E:

Dwesa posted:

Holy poo poo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

canada jezus posted:

Do you hand those extra castles out when you want to hold more counties in your duchies?

It depends on the terrain whether you want them or not. If they're on farmlands or floodplains, keep them for the better buildings you want to hold personally. If not hand 'em out.

A God drat Ghost posted:

What does it mean to integrate titles? How does this benefit me to do it

It means a lower level title shifts which higher level title it belongs to de jure. So say you're playing Billy the Bastard, and you hold the Kingdom of England and the Duchy of Normandy. Trouble is the King of France keeps trying to beat you up, because Normandy is de jure part of the Kingdom of France. Integrate Titles lets you migrate that duchy to be part of England.

It's not super useful tbh, and it'll happen naturally on it's own at half the rate, you generally want your Chancellor doing other stuff.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 25, 2020

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Digital Osmosis posted:

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands this link has it for all the platforms, but for steam you right click on the game, general, set launch options, then type in -debug_mode. Once you're in the game you hit ` to open the console up.

There totally is, I saw it on the steam workshop. Warning though: you're REALLY going to want your immortal ruler to stop loving at some point. I was messing around with a hacked king who had like 1000% health boost who died at 160-something and the game could barely handle it, moved slower than late game CK2 at it's worst. Crashed immediately if I tried to look at my dynasty tree.

My immortal sterile king

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What actions do you need to pursue to avoid your African tribal empire turning into swiss cheese upon character death? I should have seen this coming from playing the scandinavians in CK2 like 6 years ago and yet somehow I didn't.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Very new to this, and this is my third try as a Chieftain in Munster, after going for a while in the tutorial. I can't seem to get control of Ireland, let alone anywhere else. I know this is pretty general, but any (probably basic) tips? I have Light Cavalry MaA as suggested previously in this thread, and that has helped. On the first try invested right away in a marketplace, second time on gathering halls. But I still lose to my neighbors eventually (or get absolutely trashed by vikings).

This time around my guy is a seducer and good on intrigue, so I've spent a good time destroying noble marriages and sowing secret bastards on the continent. But that's kind of just for fun, not sure that gets me anywhere politically. My piety is like -200 though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

What actions do you need to pursue to avoid your African tribal empire turning into swiss cheese upon character death? I should have seen this coming from playing the scandinavians in CK2 like 6 years ago and yet somehow I didn't.

Make sure you have an empire title to encompass everything, pay attention to the succession screen, and hand out duchy titles to your tertiary heirs so they won't inherit your counties.

Jasus Christ posted:

Very new to this, and this is my third try as a Chieftain in Munster, after going for a while in the tutorial. I can't seem to get control of Ireland, let alone anywhere else. I know this is pretty general, but any (probably basic) tips? I have Light Cavalry MaA as suggested previously in this thread, and that has helped. On the first try invested right away in a marketplace, second time on gathering halls. But I still lose to my neighbors eventually (or get absolutely trashed by vikings).

This time around my guy is a seducer and good on intrigue, so I've spent a good time destroying noble marriages and sowing secret bastards on the continent. But that's kind of just for fun, not sure that gets me anywhere politically. My piety is like -200 though.

I'm gonna say that most starts in 867 are not very good for totally new players. You're probably going to start off small and weak, and not have much protection from other people who might have just made a lucky alliance so they have enough troops to smash you. Certainly Ireland is significantly less safe in 867 and not a great newbie area.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 25, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
1066 is better for enjoying all aspects of the game. 867 is more of a free for all(and 769 was even more so in CK2).

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Word. I will try 1066 then, and maybe someday I will come back to my hovel in Munster 867 to conquer the known world.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
It's 1113 in my new game and I'm getting really mad at the pope for not pulling his finger out and calling a crusade. Hurry the gently caress up, dude.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Dumbass Adamites got a foothold in France and managed to infiltrate my lands throughout my expansion efforts. All I've got are the most clownshoes clergy that takes a decade to convert a single county.

Chasing a bunch of nude French noblemen through the woods is more effort than it should be

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just had a crazy "Murders in the Court!" event. Clearly not just a regular murder scheme, there was a serial killer on the loose.

It was my son and heir. One of the victims was my second son, his brother. Of my five sons, there were the only two who inherited the "intelligent" attribute. Murderer son got sent to live a monk. So he definitely made the succession a lot less painful (still in partition), but he pruned the bloodline of a valuable trait. What a wild thing to happen.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The key to keeping your top level realm intact is to have exactly one (1) top level titles, be it a duchy, kingdom, or empire. But when using Confederate Partition the game will just create and handout titles that were valid for you to create at the time of your death, so it becomes more or less impossible to keep a huge realm together until you have moved on from being a tribe.

Broken Cog posted:

1066 is better for enjoying all aspects of the game. 867 is more of a free for all(and 769 was even more so in CK2).

Yeah this is my takeaway from the first couple games. Doing the tribal to feudal conversion sounds fun and challenging, but it mostly isn't.

Grey Fox posted:

Dumbass Adamites got a foothold in France and managed to infiltrate my lands throughout my expansion efforts. All I've got are the most clownshoes clergy that takes a decade to convert a single county.

You're much better off just demanding that vassals convert back, they'll (mostly) switch the counties back if they agree.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 25, 2020

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Whoops, meant to post in the relationship advice thread.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

PittTheElder posted:

The key to keeping your top level realm intact is to have exactly one (1) top level titles, be it a duchy, kingdom, or empire. But when using Confederate Partition the game will just create and handout titles that were valid for you to create at the time of your death, so it becomes more or less impossible to keep a huge realm together until you have moved on from being a tribe.

Yeah this is my takeaway from the first couple games. Doing the tribal to feudal conversion sounds fun and challenging, but it mostly isn't.

You're much better off just demanding that vassals convert back, they'll (mostly) switch the counties back if they agree.

It's mostly sitting around and trying not to expand until you get a better form of inheritance where it doesn't create titles.

But then you expand anyway because your vassals declare war

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I've gotten into the habit of just swearing to the nearest Karling or any of the MENA blobs to feudalize quickly and safely then wiggling out or claiming the throne the next generation.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
After decades I was months away from gaining one remaing holy site to finally reform my pagan faith, but my ruler contracted bubonic plague and suddenly died even though he had herbalist trait and was cured from it by his physician. *sigh* I think I will play something else for a while. Btw, it also killed my heir's genius wife.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 25, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

It's mostly sitting around and trying not to expand until you get a better form of inheritance where it doesn't create titles.

But then you expand anyway because your vassals declare war

I actually had a lot of fun with mind trying to get the 10 independent kings of your dynasty decision, it's the perfect thing to do while feudal.

The border gore is atrocious though, I wish it did a better job of splitting off exclaves of a single vassal or random holdings on the other side of the world. Something like if a holding is outside 50-100% diplo distance from your capital, it's force granted to a random low born vassal on succession, and if it's >100% they become straight up independent.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

PittTheElder posted:

It means a lower level title shifts which higher level title it belongs to de jure. So say you're playing Billy the Bastard, and you hold the Kingdom of England and the Duchy of Normandy. Trouble is the King of France keeps trying to beat you up, because Normandy is de jure part of the Kingdom of France. Integrate Titles lets you migrate that duchy to be part of England.

It's not super useful tbh, and it'll happen naturally on it's own at half the rate, you generally want your Chancellor doing other stuff.

so it takes away France's claim on Normandy, in that example? Wouldn't France also potentially have access to lots of claimants like the duke and earls and their kids who were there before you took Normandy?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

A God drat Ghost posted:

so it takes away France's claim on Normandy, in that example? Wouldn't France also potentially have access to lots of claimants like the duke and earls and their kids who were there before you took Normandy?

Yes, but those would be regular historical-ownership claims (pressed or non-pressed) that benefit them and which only work piecemeal, rather than a huge blanket de-jure claim on the entire territory in the name of the realm. It makes a pretty big difference in terms of how often, how long, and to what ends wars can be declared. Regular claims can be murdered away in pretty short order (or just lost to the generation naturally) — de jure claims will stay until de jure drift has happened, and that takes a long time, especially if they get a regular ownership flip-flop that resets that drift.

Integration shortcuts that process by a significant amount.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A God drat Ghost posted:

Well those claims only last one generation unless there is an war attempting to press them. Somebody might fabricate claims, but that's just part of the game.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The pope declared a Crusade and it looked like an easy one. Then... holy poo poo. the enemy bought 20k mercenaries. They turned it around but I expect it will be temporary.

The king of Italy alone bought 10k by himself. He's now in debt and if we can wait it out I think I can still win, but wow. I've never seen mercenaries bought on that scale before.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There should probably a limit to how many simultaneous mercenary contracts a ruler can have. I'd think something like one for a count/duke, two for a kingdom, three for an empire.

You could change those numbers but the point is that I think a limit that scales to your top rank is a good idea. Maybe do a steward perk that lets you hold an extra one, because stewards make money but are kinda boring right now.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

The pope declared a Crusade and it looked like an easy one. Then... holy poo poo. the enemy bought 20k mercenaries. They turned it around but I expect it will be temporary.

The king of Italy alone bought 10k by himself. He's now in debt and if we can wait it out I think I can still win, but wow. I've never seen mercenaries bought on that scale before.

The pope can literally buy every single mercenary company in the game, and does. He floats 100k+ gold on the regular. If you can beat the pope, you have "won" the game because youre now unstoppable.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

The pope can literally buy every single mercenary company in the game, and does. He floats 100k+ gold on the regular. If you can beat the pope, you have "won" the game because youre now unstoppable.

I have no idea how I'd get enough gold to do this (without cheating it in), but I'm curious if the Pope just folds over and dies if you buy every single mercenary company available and then declare war on him.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

I have no idea how I'd get enough gold to do this (without cheating it in), but I'm curious if the Pope just folds over and dies if you buy every single mercenary company available and then declare war on him.

You could always be your own pope, a Temporal Head of Faith in a modestly sized religion with the Communion tenet can get Pope-levels of money. It's one thing I expect to be nerfed soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

disaster pastor posted:

I don't think the Pope's mercs come from the same pool. He routinely gets more mercs than every company on the list I have access to has in total. And it's not like the mercenaries in my tab have all been hired out.