Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

I'm already going 10 miles over the speed limit, and he went between two cars after passing me. On the highway. On an interchange.

The goofier the mirrors look, the better they work.

NE drivers, Massholes in particular, are loving aggressive. These squids are pretty much what I would've expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Update: he bit the bullet and bought a thousand-dollar set of cases. He's now left with a $4500 bike that owes him around 7k and a lifelong aversion to KTM.

What I didn't know: this was the third (!) KTM he's imported and not one of them has made a profit, despite the favorable market prices here vs overseas. Reckons it'll be mostly Harleys and Ducatis from now on because it's possible to rehabilitate a totalled one and still make some money in the end, whereas with KTM you can start with a running rideable bike and still fall backwards into a spike pit.

My Husky 701 that had a broken valve needed an entire new head as a valve guide was damaged and they aren't sold separately. Thankfully I had ponied up $200 for two years of extended warranty a year and a half ago. Still didn't really come out ahead as I sold the bike to the dealer for not that much, but at least it's their problem now.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

High Protein posted:

My Husky 701 that had a broken valve needed an entire new head as a valve guide was damaged and they aren't sold separately. Thankfully I had ponied up $200 for two years of extended warranty a year and a half ago. Still didn't really come out ahead as I sold the bike to the dealer for not that much, but at least it's their problem now.
Maybe if I tell those robocall scammers that call about "your vehicles extended warranty" that I have a KTM they'll stop calling.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Let's stereotype lovely drivers. I started a similar thread in the Toronto LAN thread but I want to get more than just a local answer of who the worst driver is and what kind of car he's in, because I know you guys will have some fun perspectives. Particularly those outside of North America.

In my experience it's the Porsche SUVs, the Cayenne or whatever. There are definitely a lot of people who embody the BMW driver stereotype but both on foot and on two wheels I've encountered the most entitled and indignant attitudes from middle-aged women in Porsche SUVs. I'm starting to see a lot more of those Lambo SUV monstrosities too and they seem to behave the same. Tesla drivers are coming up in the ranks (did I tell you guys about the one woman who said "it's on auto-pilot" and went back to texting on her phone), but still haven't dethroned the Cayennes.

In terms of sheer aggression it's deffo guys in big lifted trucks or Jeeps, but overall it's the Porsche SUV crew.

Lamborghini drivers are dickheads, always, but I've not really had any issues with them aside from the fact that they're all painfully desperate for attention for their dime-a-dozen Ed-Hardy-trucker-hat overpriced tractors. Maybe it's a different story out in the suburbs but I avoid Mississauga like the plague that it is.

The chillest guys are always boomers driving old muscle. I imagine I wouldn't want to engage with them on politics, but I can appreciate their taste in cars and the way they handle it on the road.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Everyone within a mobile forty foot radius of me is an awful driver and should be at home instead of on the road.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

Everyone within a mobile forty foot radius of me is an awful driver and should be at home instead of on the road.

Anybody driving slower than me is an idiot and anybody driving faster than me is a maniac.

Jazzzzz posted:

NE drivers, Massholes in particular, are loving aggressive. These squids are pretty much what I would've expected.

One of my first experiences with motorcycles before I even had a drivers license was a few guys on the Zakim Bridge wheelying between cars 20mph faster than traffic. That colored how I viewed most motorcyclists for a while.

Mister Speaker posted:

Let's stereotype lovely drivers.

Back to Massholes, but lifted pickup trucks, minivans, and green license plates. Guys in lifted trucks always have something to prove, people in minivans are trying to wrangle their kids or whatever while on their 138th listen of Baby Shark for the day, and green license plates are for plates registered before 1987, so they're always elderly.

Mini Coopers and VW Bugs can probably go on that list too. More than once I've had someone in a "cute" car almost merge into my Challenger because they weren't paying attention, so I stay the gently caress away from them when I'm on my bike.

Edit: Not mentioning the Challenger as a weird flex, but rather because it's loving enormous.

Strife fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 25, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

High Protein posted:

Euro bikes: sure, you can get a replacement front sprocket. Unfortunately it’s only sold with the entire rest of the bike, one single part number for the whole bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What? No you can't buy a sump plug washer, it only comes with the plug. No you can't buy the plug by itself, it only comes with the casings. Here is a $40 bag of orange zipties as consolation.

Also: not all euro bikes. Ducati never do that kind of bullshit because they actually understand motorcycles, the same way the Japanese brands do.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

High Protein posted:

By the sounds of it, you still came out ahead.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Let's stereotype lovely drivers. I started a similar thread in the Toronto LAN thread but I want to get more than just a local answer of who the worst driver is and what kind of car he's in, because I know you guys will have some fun perspectives. Particularly those outside of North America.

In my experience it's the Porsche SUVs, the Cayenne or whatever. There are definitely a lot of people who embody the BMW driver stereotype but both on foot and on two wheels I've encountered the most entitled and indignant attitudes from middle-aged women in Porsche SUVs. I'm starting to see a lot more of those Lambo SUV monstrosities too and they seem to behave the same. Tesla drivers are coming up in the ranks (did I tell you guys about the one woman who said "it's on auto-pilot" and went back to texting on her phone), but still haven't dethroned the Cayennes.

In terms of sheer aggression it's deffo guys in big lifted trucks or Jeeps, but overall it's the Porsche SUV crew.

Lamborghini drivers are dickheads, always, but I've not really had any issues with them aside from the fact that they're all painfully desperate for attention for their dime-a-dozen Ed-Hardy-trucker-hat overpriced tractors. Maybe it's a different story out in the suburbs but I avoid Mississauga like the plague that it is.

The chillest guys are always boomers driving old muscle. I imagine I wouldn't want to engage with them on politics, but I can appreciate their taste in cars and the way they handle it on the road.

Used to be it was pretty obvious who the terrible drivers in Toronto were because they were in brightly painted sedans with a Taxi sign on the top. Nowadays you have to look for a little Uber or Lyft sticker.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Let's stereotype lovely drivers.

BMW X5s are universally the worst in my experience, every single time, followed by all other extra large luxury SUVs. Incompetent, oblivious, and aggressive.

Nobody else compares.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Ducati never do that kind of bullshit because they actually understand motorcycles, the same way the Japanese brands do.

HAHAHAHAHahahahahahhahah. Thanks, I needed that.

Ducati is happy to sell you the actual parts you need, but you might have to wait a few weeks for them to ship from Bologna or wherever their parts warehouse is, and you WILL be ordering parts, in multiples, because one loving thing is going to fail 6 times (hello, fuel level sender revision F). I gather Aprilia/Piaggio can be similar, but I've never owned one, and outside the SXV debacles the folks I've known with Aprilias (Futura, couple of Tuonos, RSV4) haven't had any problems with them that they didn't cause.

lovely drivers edit:

Around here it's a tie between suburban SUV moms and old people. The SUV of choice is usually a Tahoe or Yukon, and the old fuckers are in 20+ year old but immaculate Grand Marquis(es?) or Crown Vics.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Anyone here in Scotland driving an Audi drives like poo poo and is hyper aggressive towards motorcyclists.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Finger Prince posted:

Used to be it was pretty obvious who the terrible drivers in Toronto were because they were in brightly painted sedans with a Taxi sign on the top. Nowadays you have to look for a little Uber or Lyft sticker.

Like, you have one loving job.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

HAHAHAHAHahahahahahhahah. Thanks, I needed that.

Ducati is happy to sell you the actual parts you need, but you might have to wait a few weeks for them to ship from Bologna or wherever their parts warehouse is, and you WILL be ordering parts, in multiples, because one loving thing is going to fail 6 times (hello, fuel level sender revision F). I gather Aprilia/Piaggio can be similar, but I've never owned one, and outside the SXV debacles the folks I've known with Aprilias (Futura, couple of Tuonos, RSV4) haven't had any problems with them that they didn't cause.

Ok sure, but at least the part is replaceable and the fault can be rectified at all. The fuel level sender isn't part of the fuel tank or permanently affixed to the wiring harness or some other lunacy, because the people who designed the bike thought 'someone might want to repair this one day'. And yeah they have their problems and they're idiosyncratic and no they don't objectively compare well to Japanese bikes but the thought is always there, even if just sheer italianness stops them on the end-user side their bikes are conceptually very sound.

I haven't had much contact with Aprilia but taking apart an rsv4rf didn't impress me wrt the intelligence of the designers, although there was nothing particularly wrong with it besides everything feeling super cheap. Not up to ducati's level imo, I await the flying beer bottles.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 25, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RDfJXAhs_4

I was too busy thinking "wow gently caress that guy" and didn't see the second guy coming up to pass me in my own goddamn lane.

I know, I know, normal people don't get into fistfights on motorcycles, but when someone passes me in my lane, there's a part of me that's thinking

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

Ok sure, but at least the part is replaceable and the fault can be rectified at all. The fuel level sender isn't part of the fuel tank or permanently affixed to the wiring harness or some other lunacy, because the people who designed the bike thought 'someone might want to repair this one day'.

It's because KTMs are so reliable they never need corrective maintenance, if proper preventive maintenance is performed.

captainOrbital posted:

Like, you have one loving job.

Is it to drive as fast and recklessly as possible because that's what maximizes your profit?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
re: overtaking me in my lane

what's the problem here?

I'm on a single-track vehicle, they're on a single-track vehicle, and the lane is wide enough for a fire truck. Who cares?

We do it to cars all the time, after all.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If there’s two lanes just pass in the other lane. If it’s a single lane road then I think it’s OK depending on how it’s done. I move over and wave faster riders thru and in my experience so do others.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
being not a dick is key, but just lol at getting mad at other bikers for speeding

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

On my local canyon roads (that are now going to be closed indefinitely due to our fires this season) I just do the "I'm exiting the track" arm thing and slow down while moving to the right edge of the lane, so a faster rider can safely share the lane with me and pass even on a turn. On the freeway you should be able to pass someone without coming that close, unless it's a Harley rider refusing to pull to the side for a second when they're splitting lanes too slowly and you want to get by. Not all Harleys obviously, but it's always a Harley (and for some reason it ALWAYS happens to me on the same freeway, the 5S heading to San Diego but already south of OC). Although cut too close to a patched rider at your own risk, I just split lanes the next lane over if necessary.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Greg12 posted:

re: overtaking me in my lane

what's the problem here?

I'm on a single-track vehicle, they're on a single-track vehicle, and the lane is wide enough for a fire truck. Who cares?

We do it to cars all the time, after all.

"If I'm doing something wrong, it's OK because it's me. If you're doing something wrong it's a crime and you're an rear end in a top hat and I'll totally chain-whip you as you pass" seems to be a prevailing attitude among a lot of motorcyclists.

I mean it's contextual for sure. Strife's video shows some pretty reckless behaviour that would have startled and angered me too, but I've also been passed by other bikers weaving about lanes in a way that's no harm to anyone. But the way some people respond to content ITT, you'd think they were all-seeing paragons of road etiquette and not, you know, impotently-raging keyboard warriors. Have you ever lane filtered? Squeezed through a space in between two turning cars? Passed a cyclist in the same lane? I've got news for you: someone probably thinks you're an rear end in a top hat for it, and they might not even be wrong.

Razzled posted:

being not a dick is key, but just lol at getting mad at other bikers for speeding

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mister Speaker posted:

"If I'm doing something wrong, it's OK because it's me. If you're doing something wrong it's a crime and you're an rear end in a top hat and I'll totally chain-whip you as you pass" seems to be a prevailing attitude among a lot of motorcyclists.

I mean it's contextual for sure. Strife's video shows some pretty reckless behaviour that would have startled and angered me too, but I've also been passed by other bikers weaving about lanes in a way that's no harm to anyone. But the way some people respond to content ITT, you'd think they were all-seeing paragons of road etiquette and not, you know, impotently-raging keyboard warriors. Have you ever lane filtered? Squeezed through a space in between two turning cars? Passed a cyclist in the same lane? I've got news for you: someone probably thinks you're an rear end in a top hat for it, and they might not even be wrong.

Lol at this from someone claiming to have assaulted a cyclist this week

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Lol at this from someone claiming to have assaulted a cyclist this week

I'm glad you brought it up because it seems to me that people ITT were dogpiling the wrong person. I'm not the keyboard tough guy who said this:

Slavvy posted:

If you randomly wobbled into my path without shoulder checking I'd be inclined to slap you in the mouth too.

Exactly what I mean by "all-seeing paragons of road etiquette." IDK how you can see that video, miss the shoulder check or the fact that I was clearly backing up to park when he passed, say "i totally would have slapped you for getting in my way" and not expect there to be consequences for your actions.

For the record, I didn't fight the guy. I was going to, but he backed down and apologized when confronted.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm glad you brought it up because it seems to me that people ITT were dogpiling the wrong person. I'm not the keyboard tough guy who said this:

Exactly what I mean by "all-seeing paragons of road etiquette." IDK how you can see that video, miss the shoulder check or the fact that I was clearly backing up to park when he passed, say "i totally would have slapped you for getting in my way" and not expect there to be consequences for your actions.

For the record, I didn't fight the guy. I was going to, but he backed down and apologized when confronted.
None of that is clear from the few seconds of wobbly video and

Mister Speaker posted:

That's a great way to get your rear end kicked, as this kid discovered a few blocks later.

Yeah I know, everyone is both a perfect driver and a badass on the Internet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

Everyone else are keyboard warriors, not me, the guy who implied I assaulted someone

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just imagine being so inadequate that you lose your poo poo at some hapless spandex fuckboy over a microinfraction when you yourself are on a bloody motorcycle. What was it like before you got a bike, were you the guy always climbing out of his lifted pickup at stoplights?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Slavvy posted:

Just imagine being so inadequate that you lose your poo poo at some hapless spandex fuckboy over a microinfraction when you yourself are on a bloody motorcycle. What was it like before you got a bike, were you the guy always climbing out of his lifted pickup at stoplights?

Swinging at someone is not a microinfraction. I'm not sure how you guys do it in NZ but where I come from that's a pretty clear threat of violence. I've had people on all modes of transport do stupid poo poo like that - throw bottles, weaponize their vehicles, etc., and I'm not about to stand there and let some crustpunk on a stolen bike think he can do violence with impunity. You can keep saying what you "would have" done, though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol a cheap shot that didn’t make contact is not a “clear threat of violence” and nobody is talking about what they would have done but you

The fuckin cognitive dissonance here is baffling. Chasing a cyclist down on a motorcycle and trying to fight them is the most violent thing in your whole quest to save your honor. You lost control and some aggressive bro with a shorter temper than you is gonna hand you your rear end one day for it.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 26, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You sure?

Slavvy posted:

If you randomly wobbled into my path without shoulder checking I'd be inclined to slap you in the mouth too.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
A person on a bicycle swung at you and missed. You're presumably wearing a nice big ole helmet, and were just about to park and go do something else, as you said. Instead of just going "wow what a jerk" and going about your day, you decided to leave your parking spot, and go chase a bicyclist down to tell him how much of a jerk he is.

You might have anger issues.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Never said I wasn't an rear end in a top hat. I said I'm tired of letting people get away with threatening me without consequence. I get that Slavvy is a thread favourite here and I'm nobody, but you can't really deny that was a stupid toughguy thing to say.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm tired of letting people get away with threatening me without consequence.

quote:

that was a stupid toughguy thing to say.

:agreed:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you are being threatened enough that it’s a common part of your day it’s time to look at why it’s happening. Living out a game of road rash is not your average cycling experience

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
don't get mad over the what if, get mad over the what is

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Razzled posted:

Yep this exactly

MomJeans420 posted:

On my local canyon roads (that are now going to be closed indefinitely due to our fires this season) I just do the "I'm exiting the track" arm thing and slow down while moving to the right edge of the lane, so a faster rider can safely share the lane with me and pass even on a turn. On the freeway you should be able to pass someone without coming that close, unless it's a Harley rider refusing to pull to the side for a second when they're splitting lanes too slowly and you want to get by. Not all Harleys obviously, but it's always a Harley (and for some reason it ALWAYS happens to me on the same freeway, the 5S heading to San Diego but already south of OC). Although cut too close to a patched rider at your own risk, I just split lanes the next lane over if necessary.

I only have anecdata of riding Valley SoCal freeway but I found in general other riders in LA were a lot better about keeping track of faster riders coming up behind them while splitting. I don't like splitting in LA though with how the carpool lanes are painted and treated, too much paint and separation.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Never said I wasn't an rear end in a top hat. I said I'm tired of letting people get away with threatening me without consequence. I get that Slavvy is a thread favourite here and I'm nobody, but you can't really deny that was a stupid toughguy thing to say.

Me, a random oval office talking poo poo on the internet: tough guy making threats

You, threatening to beat up a pedal pusher IRL: honorable street samurai

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Razzled posted:

It's more about them doing something that would have directly put me in danger if I'd had the audacity to move over in my own lane but sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

TheBacon posted:

Yep this exactly

I only have anecdata of riding Valley SoCal freeway but I found in general other riders in LA were a lot better about keeping track of faster riders coming up behind them while splitting. I don't like splitting in LA though with how the carpool lanes are painted and treated, too much paint and separation.

I got to lane split in LA a few weeks ago when o was coming through. I was a little nervous because my panniers are slightly wider than my handlebars, so I kept getting passed by riders without a huge wide rear end. Also, it was mind-blowing having a lot of people pull over in their lane to make it easier to split. It was a good experience!