Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

King Bahamut posted:

In the Denver quest line I chose the answer that wouldn’t please either faction, got the tape in my inventory, but the machines won’t speak to me and Nancy keeps asking me to go to them and get the tape/fight the scar collectors etc. I had to just go aggro and kill everyone to get Valor to come with me, which was an incredibly long fight because the car and turrets’ presence outside meant the whole map aggroed and I couldn’t end combat. Is that a bug, normal, or did I just do something wrong? This game reminds me of fallout 1/2 in every possible way, down to the memory of losing a 30 hour save when they had to patch the car

I started shooting Gippers almost as soon as I got there, and pretty much didn't stop shooting until right before Reagan's room, when I looked at my map and noticed the airport. I had to kiss-rear end my way through the Machine Commune's test, but they sent me back to make Reagan a Communist. I went back to his room, killed everybody but Valor, and sent him to my jail and Reagan to the robots. The only thing that got buggy was the godfishers wanting me to disable the statue after I had already destroyed it, but that quest failed when they attacked me for sending Reagan to the commie robots. (that last phrase is now prompted by my phone thanks to this thread).

Pretty sure everything is working as intended, not counting my previous post (I did submit a bug report on inxile's forum).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

King Bahamut posted:

In the Denver quest line I chose the answer that wouldn’t please either faction, got the tape in my inventory, but the machines won’t speak to me and Nancy keeps asking me to go to them and get the tape/fight the scar collectors etc. I had to just go aggro and kill everyone to get Valor to come with me, which was an incredibly long fight because the car and turrets’ presence outside meant the whole map aggroed and I couldn’t end combat. Is that a bug, normal, or did I just do something wrong? This game reminds me of fallout 1/2 in every possible way, down to the memory of losing a 30 hour save when they had to patch the car
Silly question probably, but did you try interacting with the console in the room with Nancy and Valor? I also went with the choice that didn’t please either faction, and going to the console started the Reagan download process and brought up a set of options on how to resolve it. I sent him to my base and took him hostage, both sides were mad at me and I arrested Valor and took him home.

If you already did that I’m guessing it’s a bug.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Angela is probably suffering from extreme PTSD now. At least that's how I rationalise her actions in Wasteland 3.

She loses Ghost (from the short stories included in WL2 deluxe), then loses Ace, then finds out Hell Razor is dead, goes to LA and gets shot down, survives and has no radio contact with Ranger HQ and by the time she gets back to Arizona she finds out her remaining two friends Snake and Thrasher are dead. It's not really surprising that she's not thinking clearly.
In No Way Out, one of the W3 novels you follow her as she's been captured by bots after the chopper gets downed and has been forced to work at one of their facilities for months. Having no human contact, hardly being fed and not even getting to wear clothes will gently caress you up. She eventually manages to sneak into a radio room and gets in touch with the freshly started California Rangers. They rescue her and rest of the book is her trying to get back to Arizona.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lodin posted:

In No Way Out, one of the W3 novels you follow her as she's been captured by bots after the chopper gets downed and has been forced to work at one of their facilities for months. Having no human contact, hardly being fed and not even getting to wear clothes will gently caress you up. She eventually manages to sneak into a radio room and gets in touch with the freshly started California Rangers. They rescue her and rest of the book is her trying to get back to Arizona.

Ah, I've only read the supplemental W2 short stories, not the W3 ones. But yeah, that just adds more fuel to the fire. Woodson should really have reassigned her to a role that isn't out on the field after all that. Even Snake was smart enough to reassign Thrasher to non-field work after the end of W1 took his toll on him.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
In case anyone was wondering, co-op is still hosed with random "client has been disconnected" errors every five minutes. At least on Gamepass.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Is there stuff from wasteland 1 and 2 that would inform my choice to kill the Synth or not? The guy giving me the quest seems like a real piece of poo poo and called me a simp so gently caress this dude, but are synths automatically evil in this series?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wrr posted:

Is there stuff from wasteland 1 and 2 that would inform my choice to kill the Synth or not? The guy giving me the quest seems like a real piece of poo poo and called me a simp so gently caress this dude, but are synths automatically evil in this series?

They are the main adversary of WL1 and 2, and the AI they work for also destroyed the world. Gary isn't wrong, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wrr posted:

The synth in the museum has killed before and will kill again. Two of the others attacked me on sight.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I finished the game again today, and I loved the ending song. Will Whitmore, man. Love Will Whitmore

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The synth in the museum is really really young. It's more of a self-fulfilling prophecy whether he will (have to / believe he'll have to) kill people or not (because most people he'll come in contact with will feel the same way). So it's up to you to decide if a death sentence is just in that case.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The synth is totally full of poo poo imo. It claims that it just wants to be left alone, but if thats the case then why was it in the middle of the most populated area in Colorado in the first place? It admits that it was designed to infiltrate and says that it will kill if discovered or is about to be discovered in 'pre-emptive self-defense'. But it's a synth with the body of an adult and the voice of a child. It will always be discovered in any interaction and therefore will end up killing any human it comes across. Killing it is the only sane option.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

babypolis posted:

Yeah I thought this was pretty interesting too. I was expecting the point where the Patriarch asks you to gun down a bunch of of protestors or some other shady poo poo, but no, he justs wants you do to what he asked and in return the rangers get everything they asked for too, a pretty good deal to be honest. I think Liberty is basically right when she says that her dad just want to build alliances with like minded states in order to rebuild America. Trying to overthrow him after that just felt way too lovely, despite his personal failings

yeah when liberty blurbed all about that at the end i was like oh, huh, well...doesn't seem so bad after all. like not perfect but honestly im just here to get food i'm not really here to regime change poo poo like i know any better and it super wasn't like rangers in AZ in WL1/2 were doing much better than the patriarch was in terms of optimal choices

additional super ending spoilers edit: also the patriarch just dies like 3 years after you arrive and if you do good just hands denver off to the rangers so that...really seems like just the end point angela wants anyways? obviously few people know how sick he is or what the future holds but still

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 25, 2020

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm still in the somewhat early game, but after leaving Colorado Springs you get a radio message about a farm under attack by raiders, starting the quest Heads or Tails. I went to the farm, killed the bandits and then got a radio message about the convoy still needing help. Except... I can't find them?
Are they on the world map, in the bizarre, or somewhere else?

The game also seems confused about the Hoon homestead - What finishes the quest? I've talked to everyone after killing the raiders, cleared the bunker but... eh?

Is this a case where some mission trigger just straight-up broke and I need a reload a MUCH earlier save?

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
heads or tails is just that, gotta pick one, locks out the other.
not sure what specifically you need to do to finish hoon, but it does sound like trigger broke
perhaps try to zone back into hq, then back to hoon to see if it updates?

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

funkmeister posted:

heads or tails is just that, gotta pick one, locks out the other.
not sure what specifically you need to do to finish hoon, but it does sound like trigger broke
perhaps try to zone back into hq, then back to hoon to see if it updates?

Tried that but unfortunately, nothing changed. I'll just chalk it up to an annoying but hopefully not game-breaking bug. :shobon:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The other option should be down next to the bridge on the way to the Bizarre. Turn left out of Colorado Springs (your left) and you should find it if you just stay on the road.

That does sound like a bug though, it may impact the game tbh since that quest is part of the main plot. I'd load to be safe.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Nephthys posted:

The synth is totally full of poo poo imo. It claims that it just wants to be left alone, but if thats the case then why was it in the middle of the most populated area in Colorado in the first place? It admits that it was designed to infiltrate and says that it will kill if discovered or is about to be discovered in 'pre-emptive self-defense'. But it's a synth with the body of an adult and the voice of a child. It will always be discovered in any interaction and therefore will end up killing any human it comes across. Killing it is the only sane option.

Not really his fault the way he was made.
You can threaten him to expose himself by saying you're going to shoot the robots in the museum, so he's clearly not a sociopath. Just scared.
You can tell him to dress like a refugee and escape the city and not to talk to anyone. It could work. The rest of the stuff about (pre-emptive) self-defense is a very human thing to say. So why treat him differently?

That being said... I did kill him my first playthrough (by accident) even before meeting that rear end in a top hat merc. I just wanted to see what happens if I attack one of the exhibits. Next thing I know I have a quest item in my inventory that I don't know what to do with. :v:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

itry posted:

Not really his fault the way he was made.
You can threaten him to expose himself by saying you're going to shoot the robots in the museum, so he's clearly not a sociopath. Just scared.
You can tell him to dress like a refugee and escape the city and not to talk to anyone. It could work. The rest of the stuff about (pre-emptive) self-defense is a very human thing to say. So why treat him differently?

That being said... I did kill him my first playthrough (by accident) even before meeting that rear end in a top hat merc. I just wanted to see what happens if I attack one of the exhibits. Next thing I know I have a quest item in my inventory that I don't know what to do with. :v:

It doesn't really matter if it's his fault or not. He has and will murder innocent people and if you let him go he will continue to kill unapologetically. I hear you can even find a few people killed by him later if you do.

Or he just knew you were going to find him and was trying to stop you taking out one of his 'soldiers' before he could start the fight. Or to make himself seem more sympathetic.

Like I asked, why was he in the city at all if he just wants to be left alone? Why go into a city where he's going to have to kill everyone he meets? Pretending to have innocent intentions is total BS. Especially considering what you learn later about the synths. He clearly has no regard for the humans he kills and refuses to promise not to kill again. If it was a human saying that I'd kill them too. That kind of total disregard for innocent life and ability to take it can't just be let go.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iirc, he said he was taken there by his "mom" and they got seperated fighting the mercs.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Knowing what went down in 1 and 2 and the fact that the whole purpose of 3 is to rebuild because of the events of 2, killing synths on site is probably justified. The one in the museum did pull on my heart strings though. I let him go. But if you don't I know it opens up bounties. I don't know what happens if you imprison him either in your base or in CO springs. Also I wonder about the one in the bizarre and if Brygo is actually a synth.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Brygo spoilers you can find stuff indicating that Brygo is a 'Dread Pirate Roberts' situation. Think 'become Brygo franchise kit'.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Knowing what went down in 1 and 2 and the fact that the whole purpose of 3 is to rebuild because of the events of 2, killing synths on site is probably justified. The one in the museum did pull on my heart strings though. I let him go. But if you don't I know it opens up bounties. I don't know what happens if you imprison him either in your base or in CO springs. Also I wonder about the one in the bizarre and if Brygo is actually a synth.

If you want to know more about the synths

If you try to imprison the one in the Museum he fights you to death, you have to kill him or let him go. You never actually learn anything concrete about the one in the Bizarre, I kind of feel like he might be a hook for some of the DLC stuff or had a cut plot

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I heard that you can get the synth in the Bizarre if you have Cordite with you.

Also speaking of cut plot, check out the insane amount of unused quests that have descriptions in the game code that have been found (potential spoilers for DLC): https://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Wasteland_3_quests

Halfway down the page. If those are DLC, this game is going to get a lot bigger.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
That’s just part of the long history of leaving DLC hooks in the dialogue. Wasteland 1 had a mars expansion!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Nephthys posted:

It doesn't really matter if it's his fault or not. He has and will murder innocent people and if you let him go he will continue to kill unapologetically. I hear you can even find a few people killed by him later if you do.

Or he just knew you were going to find him and was trying to stop you taking out one of his 'soldiers' before he could start the fight. Or to make himself seem more sympathetic.

Like I asked, why was he in the city at all if he just wants to be left alone? Why go into a city where he's going to have to kill everyone he meets? Pretending to have innocent intentions is total BS. Especially considering what you learn later about the synths. He clearly has no regard for the humans he kills and refuses to promise not to kill again. If it was a human saying that I'd kill them too. That kind of total disregard for innocent life and ability to take it can't just be let go.

I would do anything to piss Gary "Saltlord" Wolfe off

On a more serious note, you can replace "synths" with "marginalized, persecuted group" and there's a parallel. It's less about "synths vs humans" and more about "a group of self-aware beings prejudiced against", even if you can argue that the prejudice has some grounds. But on the other hand you can't just write it off as "total disregard for innocent life" either, because those synths do have their own justifications as to why they exercise such paranoid self-defense - they've been hunted down indiscriminately. The synths that were originally being hunted down and bred this mutual hatred between humans and synths were as much of an "innocent life" as the resulting human victims down the line, and there are synths who are disconnected from the whole incident in WL2 too that took the brunt. I don't think you can say that wiping out all synths is an ethical choice - best you can say is that it's an unfortunate but arguably necessary survival choice, but even then they're still a group of self-aware beings, that are admittedly prone to reprogamming - but then again, so are humans susceptible to manipulation. I let the synth go because killing them for their survival choice feels dehumanizing, as though they're lesser beings who can't encroach on humans' territory.

But really I mostly just wanted to rub it in Wolfe's face

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 26, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Defiance Industries posted:

They are the main adversary of WL1 and 2, and the AI they work for also destroyed the world. Gary isn't wrong, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

:hmmyes:

Kill every synth on sight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 26, 2020

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The whole synths have a right to exist is a fake out. They're trying to appeal to your better nature but if you dig enough they absolutely are still just planning to overthrow humanity.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Machines on the other hand, they're cool.

My buddy Discobot just wants to party.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

blizzardvizard posted:

I would do anything to piss Gary "Saltlord" Wolfe off

On a more serious note, you can replace "synths" with "marginalized, persecuted group" and there's a parallel. It's less about "synths vs humans" and more about "a group of self-aware beings prejudiced against", even if you can argue that the prejudice has some grounds. But on the other hand you can't just write it off as "total disregard for innocent life" either, because those synths do have their own justifications as to why they exercise such paranoid self-defense - they've been hunted down indiscriminately. The synths that were originally being hunted down and bred this mutual hatred between humans and synths were as much of an "innocent life" as the resulting human victims down the line, and there are synths who are disconnected from the whole incident in WL2 too that took the brunt. I don't think you can say that wiping out all synths is an ethical choice - best you can say is that it's an unfortunate but arguably necessary survival choice, but even then they're still a group of self-aware beings, that are admittedly prone to reprogamming - but then again, so are humans susceptible to manipulation. I let the synth go because killing them for their survival choice feels dehumanizing, as though they're lesser beings who can't encroach on humans' territory.

But really I mostly just wanted to rub it in Wolfe's face

loving simps are always talking about how synths are sentient. They have feelings. Bullshit. That's how they trick you. Synths are just top-grade robots.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
Gary wolfe is ben shapiro and everyone who advocates for indiscriminate killing of synths might as well be talking about white genocide.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You can't broadcast an override code to black people and have them go into kill mode

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Kill the synths if you want to break the game with combat shooting

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ded posted:

Kill the synths if you want to break the game with combat shooting

It's only possible to get that on one person, right?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

rodbeard posted:

The whole synths have a right to exist is a fake out. They're trying to appeal to your better nature but if you dig enough they absolutely are still just planning to overthrow humanity.

Considering the state of the planet that humans caused they probably have a point.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do you mean the apocalypse that made the titular wasteland? Because that was the ur-synth Cochise. Or at least, he pulled thr trigger--it was absolutely mankind's gently caress up to get to that point.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So the US space station got hit by a meteor and Cochise used that as an excuse to launch?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Not quite:
https://youtu.be/K5lmL7yNC9Y

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Is there an alternate way to get past the locked doors in Ranger HQ besides helping that slaver? I tried to see if you could betray her, lie, threaten whatever and not only did that fail she despawned while her guards walked off so I couldn’t even double check the corpse

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

King Bahamut posted:

Is there an alternate way to get past the locked doors in Ranger HQ besides helping that slaver? I tried to see if you could betray her, lie, threaten whatever and not only did that fail she despawned while her guards walked off so I couldn’t even double check the corpse

As far as I know no, but the armor you get in there can still be found later in game, so not a huge loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I mean you learn later that Cochise faked a launch in order to provoke the apocalypse. And from that moment on has been hell bent on wiping out humanity to preserve itself. It is pretty much the ultimate selfish actor.