Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

iron buns posted:

Someone on reddit posted this:

Obviously unconfirmed, but kinda plausible. Then again, you'd think FB would have told the early reviewers and press if that was the case. Or just migrate the accounts automatically.

Only way it makes sense (and does kinda make sense, at least in theory), is if this is them scrambling after the huge negative reaction, every review listing 'facebook account' as the one negative, and people talking about their accounts being banned.

Still sounds like a lot of reddit made up posting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tom Guycot posted:

Only way it makes sense (and does kinda make sense, at least in theory), is if this is them scrambling after the huge negative reaction, every review listing 'facebook account' as the one negative, and people talking about their accounts being banned.

Still sounds like a lot of reddit made up posting though.

Yeah, I read it as FB frantically walking back the "must facebook to play" announcement

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zero VGS posted:

Palmer Luckey is probably a nazi, and definitely a guy who runs a company currently constructing military murder-drones, but he also has Good Opinions on VR. I appreciated his open letter about the Rift S not having hardware IPD and how many people it was excluding. He also gave out free audio repair kits for the OG Rift, AFTER he was ousted by the company.

Not saying his crimes against humanity cancel out his VR thoughtfulness, but I can separate the two.

In other news, I got a survey from the same survey company who did an in-home playtest of the Quest 1 finger tracking with me. This time it was just an online survey about attitudes towards Facebook Privacy. It was like:

At the end of the survey they said the survey was comprised of a mix of policies and myths about Facebook privacy.

Sounds like they're lubing you Quest 2 users up real slick, lol

edit:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Nuts and Gum posted:

I broke down and bought Zero Caliber out of pure want of a new shooty game. It's the only single-player focused story shootmans I know of that's not HL:A and it does an ok job. It' still very rough around the edges, some of the voice acting is suspect, but really what matters is the shooting, gun handling and reloading mechanics. They're all pretty well done, except it has a tendency to incorrectly detect your grip on the Index controllers, so you're desperately trying to drop the front of the gun to reach for a mag but you can't and it's funny / frustrating.

I tried this on my rift S based on this post and really like it, thanks!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Isn't VR a tacked on feature after the fact?

I'd call it on par with most games that were designed for flat the had VR patched in, which is fine as long as you don't have to interact with a menu.

Which is can be a big deal in a game where you spend a ton of time in a menu

Yep; the way I think of this is that VR definitely adds something to that kind of game, but it's not transformative. Generally, if you didn't like it flatscreen, being in VR probably isn't gonna change that

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lemming posted:

Yep; the way I think of this is that VR definitely adds something to that kind of game, but it's not transformative. Generally, if you didn't like it flatscreen, being in VR probably isn't gonna change that

I actually find both nms and payday2 to be games I have no interest in on flat but I enjoy the poo poo out of in VR. Like I said, the menu driven parts(which nms has lots of) are generally lacking, but the rest can be an amazing improvement.

You just need to be aware that it WAS flat, and thats why some interfaces are going to be less comfortable

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My unicorn development would be some kind of ultra portable high powered CPU/GPU combination that you can dock to a headset and battery or tether in like.. a fanny pack or small backpack or something to run desktop-class VR, or you can dock at a keyboard and monitor and play flat games.

Really I want a gaming PC just without the size or upgradeability of just building a machine.

I gather this is not what 99.9999% of people want so I’m sure it’s not on any R&D bench but that’s what I want.

I’ll clarify that I want desktop power VR but am not interested in the slightest in actually having a desktop nor do I have interest in accommodating one in the space I typically use my VR headset in.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Martytoof posted:

My unicorn development would be some kind of ultra portable high powered CPU/GPU combination that you can dock to a headset and battery or tether in like.. a fanny pack or small backpack or something to run desktop-class VR, or you can dock at a keyboard and monitor and play flat games.

Really I want a gaming PC just without the size or upgradeability of just building a machine.

I gather this is not what 99.9999% of people want so I’m sure it’s not on any R&D bench but that’s what I want.

I’ll clarify that I want desktop power VR but am not interested in the slightest in actually having a desktop nor do I have interest in accommodating one in the space I typically use my VR headset in.

Its being worked on(see the rpi and intel nucs) but video cards aren't huge because they want them to be fancy, and heat is a huge issue

Or just put a laptop in a backpack

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

That's what The Void did.

Hopefully they make it through covid because their whole business seems really fun.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

blunt posted:

That's what The Void did.

Hopefully they make it through covid because their whole business seems really fun.

Even if they don't, Location based stuff like that is the future of VR Arcades hands down. Theres some insane IPs out there being scooped up for poo poo.

:)

All I can say. lol.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Its being worked on(see the rpi and intel nucs) but video cards aren't huge because they want them to be fancy, and heat is a huge issue

Oh I guess a VR ready laptop would be a good halfway point between what I want and what exists. Somehow I never even considered it, thanks!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

alphabettitouretti posted:

Re the elite strap for the Quest 2, is there a good reason to go with the one with built-in battery, as opposed to just velcroing a battery pack to the back of the strap?

I think the main difference is that with the built-in battery there is a passthrough to have the link cable plugged into your PC and still have the battery plug into the display, where if you use your own battery pack that will take up the USB plug without the option to pass through the PC connection.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mozi posted:

I think the main difference is that with the built-in battery there is a passthrough to have the link cable plugged into your PC and still have the battery plug into the display, where if you use your own battery pack that will take up the USB plug without the option to pass through the PC connection.

Nope, no pass-through. If you want to use Link you need to connect the cable directly to the HMD even with the official battery pack.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Martytoof posted:

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/vr-backpack.html

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The cheapest one is $3319. :aaaaa:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have to say the hot swappable double batteries and the idea of being able to dock it to use it as a normal desktop are great.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Turin Turambar posted:

I have to say the hot swappable double batteries and the idea of being able to dock it to use it as a normal desktop are great.

I was ready to post how much cheaper you can make something like this but seeing it has decent components and a super slick form factor in addition to being well thought out like dual batteries so you can hot swap uninterrupted and the dock etc and it's not looking as lovely of a deal as it seemed at first. This thing looks like a great investment for LBE stuff when the world is not all plague-y

For home use can definitely make something similar though that out-specs HP's for the same or less money with the variety of compact hardshell backpacks out there for motorcycles and such assuming you have some diy skills. People easily cram $2000 of top shelf parts into cases like the 7.2liter Dan A4 without sacrificing performance so changing out to high efficiency parts, a DC psu and adding a few LiPo bricks you would have a more capable computer but not as polished of a package. The dock is neat but kbm can be wireless and plugging in a monitor or to the wall outlet is not a big deal

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My gaming PC is about 5 years old, and stays off most of the time. I started subscribing to Shadow and my internet speed allowed me to stream VR to Quest from their cloud using Virtual Desktop.

I'm not getting a new gaming PC, I see no need. Now if I can get reliable (and cheap) internet via mobile, I can do this everywhere instead of just the house.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Martytoof posted:

A ’VR Ready’ gaming backpack PC exists.

I have a different model of their small form factor PCs – they’re definitely quite expensive for the specs since you’re paying extra to keep it small, but there are several companies putting out beefy little machines if you want one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

About dang time Sony

Good though, the Move is a total joke.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TACD posted:

A ’VR Ready’ gaming backpack PC exists.

I have a different model of their small form factor PCs – they’re definitely quite expensive for the specs since you’re paying extra to keep it small, but there are several companies putting out beefy little machines if you want one.

Oh man, our grandkids are going to laugh so hard at this poo poo just like we did with those humongous early cell phones with backpacks.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
I feel like you could just buy a powerful laptop with a good battery and strap it in a baby carrier for cheaper.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://blog.vive.com/us/2020/09/25/viveport-turns-4-celebrate-with-the-walking-dead-saints-sinners/
Moss and LA Noire included in Viveport Infinity, Walking Dead Saints & Sinners free to redeem for a week for Infinity members.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A couple pages back someone posted some goofy as boots that keep you in one spot if you walk like you're crowning and anything faster you'll poo poo your pants, and it's pretty cool but ultimately... what is the solution for the movement problem in VR? Teleportation and sliding around are good, now, but drat I want to be moving around in VR by using my legs for 100% of the time rather than just doing so 10% of the time.

The only thing I can think of is some sex-swing bungee harness that comes down from the ceiling and a sliding surface below interpreting your motion as the harness keeps you in place. I do recall some 2 axis treadmill that was invented but lord knows how loving expensive that would be.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
With the way the current tech is, I don't think there's a good solution for using your legs to walk. But who needs legs when you have hands? Echo proved to me that moving with your arms can feel great and fun moment to moment, instead of just serviceable like stick locomotion. To be honest, I think more games should just straight up have you walk on your hands. Just rip out the legs in game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yep, there is no real solution in the present nor even a visible solution coming into the near future. The platonic ideal of VR as seen in films or books where some dude puts a headset and it's like he is fully in another world was that... fiction, a lie, because things don't really have to work in stories. Those glimpses of fictional VR shouldn't be taken as reference.

To be honest, personally, I don't feel super immersed in most VR games with normal locomotion, I strongly feel like I'm at the middle of my room pushing a stick on my hand while seeing a screen. It's just an incremental step over 2d games. I don't really recall past vr experiences as if I had 'lived in' said experiences. Some other people seem be more fortunate than me and say they feel indeed in other worlds.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Lemming posted:

With the way the current tech is, I don't think there's a good solution for using your legs to walk. But who needs legs when you have hands? Echo proved to me that moving with your arms can feel great and fun moment to moment, instead of just serviceable like stick locomotion. To be honest, I think more games should just straight up have you walk on your hands. Just rip out the legs in game.

Even in general, motion controller position/rotation is the best input available in VR. You have 6 degrees of freedom with a huge range and precision, and the human brain is already programmed to use it.

This applies to all input in VR, like user interfaces.

E: Grabbing locomotion also has the benefit of linking hand/eye coordination to the movement, so the world moving matches up with the feedback you get from your arm moving.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 26, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It would be interesting if 'armswinger' would start being implemented into more games. It's slightly more immersive?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

sigher posted:

A couple pages back someone posted some goofy as boots that keep you in one spot if you walk like you're crowning and anything faster you'll poo poo your pants, and it's pretty cool but ultimately... what is the solution for the movement problem in VR? Teleportation and sliding around are good, now, but drat I want to be moving around in VR by using my legs for 100% of the time rather than just doing so 10% of the time.

The only thing I can think of is some sex-swing bungee harness that comes down from the ceiling and a sliding surface below interpreting your motion as the harness keeps you in place. I do recall some 2 axis treadmill that was invented but lord knows how loving expensive that would be.

Here is the visionary chris roberts demonstrating a system

The game he's playing is set in 2078, and he's running away from star citizen fans who are asking when the game will be finished.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

It would be interesting if 'armswinger' would start being implemented into more games. It's slightly more immersive?

My only real problem with this thread is that you guys got me onto the modified H3 armswinger control scheme. Now when first person games dedicate an entire analogue stick just for less fun/good movement I get sad.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

"I need your clothes, your boots, and your wallets but mainly your wallets."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm thinking about grabbing a month of Viveport Infinity, will most of the content work with Index or is it mainly Vive-compatible-only stuff?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pierson posted:

I'm thinking about grabbing a month of Viveport Infinity, will most of the content work with Index or is it mainly Vive-compatible-only stuff?

There is no difference. Both are steamvr compatible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sigher posted:

Okay, gross, but there's solutions to keep you walking in circles. The problem is they need a pretty decent sized space to work.

For playing in a small room, you're kinda stuck with the options we have until some kinda treadmill becomes affordable, or until someone designs a neural port interface you can plug your brain into.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay, gross, but there's solutions to keep you walking in circles. The problem is they need a pretty decent sized space to work.

For playing in a small room, you're kinda stuck with the options we have until some kinda treadmill becomes affordable, or until someone designs a neural port interface you can plug your brain into.

Check out Tea for God. Old game at this point, but it absolutely uses walking in circles to make a huge (non-euclidean) area.

And its got some neat settings about how long you want to area to last(I usually opt for about 5-7 minutes) amd some weird... Crafting? System I can't make sense of

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Big Vox Machinae update just dropped. Even more polish, new audio, etc. Player base still going strong online, too.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you know how vr gmaeplay recordings arent usually very expressive
well, this single moment in this video proves it doesnt have to be that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2yC2KbAoWI&t=130s

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

"I need your clothes, your boots, and your wallets but mainly your wallets."

:gary:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Here's my hot take: Facebook will own the VR market in the next 12-18 months.

Quest 2 appears to be selling really well. At $299 it's one of the cheapest headsets available (not counting the phone VR things, most of the cheap WMR headsets seem to have been discontinued) while the specs are high enough to compete with the high end consumer PCVR headsets like Reverb G2 and Index.

Yes, G2 has higher resolution and Index has larger FOV, higher refresh rate, finger tracking and better audio, but I doubt most people are willing to pay 2-3 times more for those. In a way, Q2 has made those headsets worth less by offering something almost as good (or even better) at a fraction of the cost.

If Q2 manages to sell a few million units in the next year or so (which I think it will), I don't see the game devs bothering to support anything else. There have already been reports of games selling 10x on Quest compared to other platforms, there's really no incentive to support Rift or SteamVR unless you're making something that just cannot run on Quest. It's the PC vs consoles vs mobile all over again.

The only real competition might come from Samsung. Apple seems to be focused on AR, HTC appears to have given up on the consumer market altogether. I doubt Valve, HP or Pimax will try to make cheaper headsets. Sony will probably release PSVR2 at some point, but even that will have a hard time competing with the Q2 price point and back catalog. We might see some cheap chinese VR headsets, but I doubt they will enter the US/EU market at all.

When Facebook stops funding VR content development on PC, who is going to pick up the slack? Valve might release a game or two in the next decade, but most will come from indies who really can't afford not to focus on Quest 2. I'd expect most future PCVR games to be ports with slightly higher resolution textures and some additional post-processing effects.

I hope you all have that Facebook account handy.

iron buns fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

iron buns posted:

Here's my hot take: Facebook will own the VR market in the next 12-18 months.

Quest 2 appears to be selling really well. At $299 it's one of the cheapest headsets available (not counting the phone VR things, most of the cheap WMR headsets seem to have been discontinued) while the specs are high enough to compete with the high end consumer PCVR headsets like Reverb G2 and Index.

Yes, G2 has higher resolution and Index has larger FOV, higher refresh rate, finger tracking and better audio, but I doubt most people are willing pay 2-3 times more for those. In a way, Q2 has made those headsets worth less by offering something almost as good (or even better) at a fraction of the cost.

If Q2 manages to sell a few million units in the next year or so (which I think it will), I don't see the game devs bothering to support anything else. There have already been reports of games selling 10x on Quest compared to other platforms, there's really no incentive to support Rift or SteamVR unless you're making something that just cannot run on Quest. It's the PC vs consoles vs mobile all over again.

The only real competition might come from Samsung. Apple seems to be focused on AR, HTC appears to have given up on the consumer market altogether. I doubt Valve, HP or Pimax will try to make cheaper headsets. Sony will probably release PSVR2 at some point, but even that will have a hard time competing with the Q2 price point and back catalog. We might see some cheap chinese VR headsets, but I doubt they will enter the US/EU market at all.

When Facebook stops funding VR content development on PC, who is going to pick up the slack? Valve might release a game or two in the next decade, but most will come from indies who really can't afford not to focus on Quest 2. I'd expect most future PCVR games to be ports with slightly higher resolution textures and some additional post-processing effects.

I hope you all have that Facebook account handy.

PC VR isn't going away though, you sound like the executives that, years ago, were screaming that PC gaming and console gaming is dead and it's mobile forever.

That didn't happen either.