Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

does spaceship combat ever get easier or should i just pay the bribe and avoid it? i got jumped by like 5 ships that were zipping around with aimbot lasers. is there some sort of lock on mechanic cause its pretty drat hard to hit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It never gets really fun or interesting, but when your ship is decked out in upgrades they'll barely tickle you while .25s of concentrated fire will kill them. You'll also eventually have the speed to outrun them and get your drive back online after a few seconds. If you generally have the reticle nearly on top of them your weapons will lock on but you still have to aim.

I outrun everything now because, even though it'd take fifteen seconds to kill them, pirates spend the entire time dancing around friendly big ships who will become extremely unfriendly if a stray bullet hits them.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Libluini posted:

I eventually "solved" my own wiring troubles by depending more and more on prefabs and attaching stuff that needs wires directly to their internal slots.

As long as you don't go outside to see where the electricity is coming from, it looks fine.

I do this a lot for things, especially mini bases. I found you can put solar panels on top of those and they automatically power it. I also found if you put a solar panel inside, it still works just as well as outside. Anyways I wish the teleporters could be wired up in those so you could still control power to it. There's a couple of spots where I'd like to rig that up to a proximity switch so it's only active when I need it and not constantly drawing power. Something else that would be very handy is if the supply pipes would also include power so I don't have to run 2 things.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ASenileAnimal posted:

does spaceship combat ever get easier or should i just pay the bribe and avoid it? i got jumped by like 5 ships that were zipping around with aimbot lasers. is there some sort of lock on mechanic cause its pretty drat hard to hit them.

1) Max Out Shotgun (Positron Ejector) Upgrades
2) Max Out Shield Upgrades
3) Sit still and let them fly at you and loving annihilate them in half a second.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

I know, that's why I said it would be better to make the engine never run out.
This. NMS is jam packed with idiotic 'mechanics' that exist purely to force the player to explore, because Sean didn't realise that people would naturally do that.

The asteroids are fine but confine them to like rings of planets and make them actually dangerous or something.

Encountered my first fire-storm last night and holy poo poo it was actually kinda terrifying, until I noticed that my totally un-upgraded environmental protection was still going to last at least a minute or two. I really wish they'd add something actually dangerous to this game.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

toiletbrush posted:

I really wish they'd add something actually dangerous to this game.

Try taking jetpack "shortcuts" around your frigates while repairing them to spice up your playtime.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I slapped down a base computer yesterday on an ugly swampy planet, but today they reverted planets because people's bases were stuck underground. Now my planet's a planet of light and my base computer is stuck underground :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I saw a screenshot on Reddit where apparently you can find the living ships being grown planetside. Anyone else seen that? I’m not playing until another patch or two hits.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
does anyone have a good, concise guide on base building they would recommend? I'm having a bit of choice paralysis when trying to choose a planet to start my base on

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thom and the Heads posted:

does anyone have a good, concise guide on base building they would recommend? I'm having a bit of choice paralysis when trying to choose a planet to start my base on

You can build as many bases as you want???

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thom and the Heads posted:

Base building is 100% free-form. Do literally anything you want. Its a total sandbox experience.

Those things said, here is some stuff that is important to me:

- I try to build on paradise planets. If you build on a planet with extreme weather or storms, you wont be able to chill outside your base for long amounts of time, which is annoying.
- Electromagnetic Hotspots are your friend. Instead of having to build a bunch of solar panels, if you build near a power hotspot, you can dig out and dump all your generators underground, or store them in a building to keep them out of sight, and you get a lot more bang for your buck in power reserves.
- I like to build bases near water because Beach House, Motherfucker, and also I like to build Sky Bases. You drop a base computer down on the surface, and then build a ton of stairs winding up into the atmosphere; then build out your foundation, and delete the stairs behind you, drop your teleporter on the sky platform, and go to town on your new floating base!
- I find using panels and square rooms to give you the most freedom in base design. The pre-fab rooms are fine, but they feel so small and give you fewer customization options.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Another pro tip: you can harvest mass quantities of basic material like ferrite dust by taking off in your ship, dropping the throttle to zero, and strafing large swathes of ground with its weapons

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://imgur.com/a/q1adUA9

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
All my bases are square utilitarian hovels because I wanted to mine something nearby, or big glass squares because I wanted to look at a pretty view without freezing/burning/radiating to death. Oh and my giant plant farm for the fusion igniters I never bother to make anymore. I am terrible at base building.

Honestly, my closest thing to a cool base is my freighter, where I have a museum room for all the anomaly stuff I collected, and a bunch of storage rooms arranged neatly, and my plant gek guarding the secret back room where we grow the space weed

Iceman2343
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Job.

Very, very, very nice looking base there. I need to spend more time on my bases (more specifically my base on the water) to make it aesthetically pleasing, as well as functional.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I wish I could buy a premade base

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I never even considered mods for this game, are there any good / must have ones?

One I've always liked is Exosolar's Beyond Base Building. It lets you use basically every base part in land/water/freighters. You can rotate, scale and recolour 99% of parts and it lets you place them in positions that usually come up as red or invalid. Even things like refiners, you can shrink one down to tiny or much bigfer size if you're into that.
Since it doesn't add any new parts, even though it massively expands the potential for base building everything you do shows up properly for other players.

For a big selection of tiny tweaks, Lo2k is a modder who has been keeping his loss updated for years whenever new updates come up. There's too many to describe, but this link here is a list of all his mods and shows which ones ha e been updated so far.

Take a look there and click on any that sound interesting. Most of them are small UI or visual tweaks but there's plenty to choose from. I usually end up with a lot of his + the above base building mod, then add in a couple to expand the colour palettes.

Exosolar's Stratos and Abyss mods were great for sky and water colours but only Abyss works for now. Same for this mod which covers most things those 2 didn't, also needs an update.
That's one area in the game that got cut down a lot over time, to the point where there were only 4-6 colours for sky, grass and water which is a bit boring. Haven't checked Origins yet and they've added a couple more colours with recent updates, but more variety is always nice.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 25, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Are there still missions where you help out a vykeen and they just give you a multi-tool for free? This newbie tool isn't cutting it and I don't remember class C tools with a few more slots costing so much.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I landed on a planet with extremely pink grass that looked like shag carpet. After hopping out of my ship, I noticed that the grass was also effervescent. An endless stream of bubbles was flowing up out of this fluffy pink grass.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
As far as I can tell, the black market / illegal upgrades let you install a whole second cluster of linked upgrades to whatever thing they are for.

It can't be linked to the first cluster, but you can have like your pulse engine with 3 upgrades attached, then unconnected to that, 3 illegal pulse engine upgrades linked together.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

StarkRavingMad posted:

Honestly, my closest thing to a cool base is my freighter, where I have a museum room for all the anomaly stuff I collected, and a bunch of storage rooms arranged neatly, and my plant gek guarding the secret back room where we grow the space weed

This is me, I've never bothered setting up a planet base but my freighter is decked out.

Thundarr posted:

Are there still missions where you help out a vykeen and they just give you a multi-tool for free? This newbie tool isn't cutting it and I don't remember class C tools with a few more slots costing so much.

The armorer for your base gives you a free multitool at the end of his quest iirc

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

hakimashou posted:

It can't be linked to the first cluster, but you can have like your pulse engine with 3 upgrades attached, then unconnected to that, 3 illegal pulse engine upgrades linked together.

Does this also apply to being able to put three each in your General and Tech pages?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm considering finally checking NMS out, but I'm wondering: is there any kind of structure or progression to gameplay? Are you working toward something, or is it essentially hopping around planets looking for interesting visuals?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mailer posted:

Does this also apply to being able to put three each in your General and Tech pages?

I dunno, I had the max number of pulse engine upgrades on my pulse engine in the tech page, and installed the illegal upgrade in my general page and it made the manouverabiltiy go up.

I thought there was a limit of only 3 upgrades total per system

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

It’s three in your Tech slots and another three in your General slots. This is true for your suit, your ships, and your Freighter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kestral posted:

I'm considering finally checking NMS out, but I'm wondering: is there any kind of structure or progression to gameplay? Are you working toward something, or is it essentially hopping around planets looking for interesting visuals?

It's a very wide game so there's room for both and everything in between. There's a storyline you can progress over time and there are independent bite-size missions you can do in one session. There's a set of interlocking quests that guide you through the base building component, or you can bypass them and set your own base building goals. Or you can ignore all of this and go on a space walkabout forever.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Kestral posted:

theres a main quest to follow as well as a bunch of sidequests you can take on space stations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Decided to start a Survival playthrough and have so far lost three full inventories to falling deaths from jumping on gradual slopes. Would recommend

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'm 12 hours in this playthrough, thought I was ready to build my first real (ie pretty) base as opposed to random hovels on a planet I'd already scouted, but I decided to hop around some systems to try to find a decent S class ship since I'm still using the starter craft.

I drop into the first rich system I've seen, beeline for the one paradise planet, and drop directly from orbit onto this prime island real estate:

So, turns out this is going to be my main base instead! I named the planet Hotline.

I'm kinda torn though, the other planet was also pretty, and the site I picked was by accident really close to one of the poles, so the sun only ever barely peeked above the horizon and was otherwise in perpetual twilight.

edit: on further reflection, the other planet has bipedal warthogs which move just humanlike enough to make it sorta uncanny valley so maybe its for the best

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 26, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Kestral posted:

There's a pretty solid crafting progression, upgrading your ship, your suit, your multitool, eventually your base, your space car, your mech, your freighter, your army of frigates.

What hooked me was that it always felt like there was just one more thing you could upgrade or optimise or discover that would noticeably improve your gameplay in some way or another.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hyperactive posted:

It’s three in your Tech slots and another three in your General slots. This is true for your suit, your ships, and your Freighter.

ah dang didnt know that, RIP illegal upgrades i guess they seem to suck otherwise

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Is there a weekend mission? I’ve just been to the nexus and only normal quicksilver missions were there, no weekend special event.

e: found an announcement that weekend missions are finished for now but they will be putting in new ways to earn quicksilver soon, so for now just the dailies.

Helith fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 26, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well I almost broke the armory guy quest. My starter multi-tool is so lovely there was no room for a boltcaster, so rather than disassemble something to make one I blasted the factory doors open with my ship instead. I went through the scripted part inside, but the mission was still on the "make a boltcaster" and the armory guy wouldn't talk to me.

The fix was to shell out money to add a slot to the multi-tool and make a boltcaster to progress the mission so I could get a better multi-tool for free. :v:

Now to do his other errands.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

hakimashou posted:

ah dang didnt know that, RIP illegal upgrades i guess they seem to suck otherwise

As far as people have listed values, it feels a lot like an imaginary point of progression. Like, you have all Cs then upgrade slowly to Bs, etc... but hey here's a random X that might be as good as an A and it changes everything! This is all moot in reality because everyone goes straight to S upgrades and everything else gets sold for nanites.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Thanks for the responses, folks, that does sound like enough structure that I can sink my teeth into it and also enjoy the visuals. I'll check it out in a bit once the update gets its bugfixes going!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I guess bases no longer have fixed multi-tool displays. I found one a five second flight from my base that had a class A rifle with full slots unlocked, but now that I have the money it's been replaced with a poo poo pistol. :negative:

Speaking of, if I get a multi-tool and "add it to my collection", how do I see the rest of my collection? Can I transfer mods between tools or do I have to build everything over again?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I got an X upgrade that was +100% to warp efficiency. So now one fuel cell lets me jump about 10 times.

I'm glad I never really got into farming metals, I have a few depots scattered around but nothing major. I am glad, however that I have an actual farm with feeding stations and harvesting machines. I sold 50 units of butter for like half a mil, it was nuts. When I'm dicking around in the base I'll chuck something in the barbecue (it's on the deck of course). Also it's fun to have herds of completely hosed-up looking creatures following you around because you feed them :3:

e:

Thundarr posted:

I guess bases no longer have fixed multi-tool displays. I found one a five second flight from my base that had a class A rifle with full slots unlocked, but now that I have the money it's been replaced with a poo poo pistol. :negative:

Speaking of, if I get a multi-tool and "add it to my collection", how do I see the rest of my collection? Can I transfer mods between tools or do I have to build everything over again?
From the quick menu, so down on the d-pad if you're on controller and if not whatever you use to summon your ship or turn on your flashlight. You do have to build everything new on each tool, just like with ships.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 26, 2020

Vyacheslav
Aug 4, 2003
It seems like they got rid of carbon crystals. Are there any remaining refiner tricks to get lots of carbon? I'm tired of the strafing run method of harvesting it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

haveblue posted:

Another pro tip: you can harvest mass quantities of basic material like ferrite dust by taking off in your ship, dropping the throttle to zero, and strafing large swathes of ground with its weapons

WHAT!

I just tried this out, how long has this been a thing? I've been landing and harvesting on foot like a chump. I have so many now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

They need to do a sentinel focused update

This game is never going to have engaging and deep combat, but they haven't touched sentinels in forever

Sentinel hellscape worlds with sentinel factories and patrols please