Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I forgot, there is actually a smilie next to that line in the game isn't there? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Glagha posted:

You don't necessarily need his help anyway, you'll be fine. Just roll with it.

word. this game is delightful so I'm not about getting a perfect ending or the like!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I forgot, there is actually a smilie next to that line in the game isn't there? Lol

no

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat. You should have just let me believe.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

drat. You should have just let me believe.

no

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So apparently I finished my first run in about 20 hours, found the killer and proof with the giant bug, and was proclaimed to be a GIANT FASCIST by Kim. Then the other officers stopped giving me poo poo and realized I actually solved what I was supposed to solve. Then the credits rolled. I feel like there should or could have been one more major task to do, like actually finding a licensed physician in the city to heal the killer, then do one more interrogation, then bring the killer with me until I ran into the other officers. Is there? Was there? I dunno. I didn't think the ending was bad just that there could maybe have been one more thing before "talk to dude, talk to bug, go back, sudden on-the-spot roasting and explanation, credits roll as everybody finally goes home." (in my case at least)

But this also means I am eligible to doing a new run doing and saying different things with arguably even more drugs :getin:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

EorayMel posted:

So apparently I finished my first run in about 20 hours, found the killer and proof with the giant bug, and was proclaimed to be a GIANT FASCIST by Kim. Then the other officers stopped giving me poo poo and realized I actually solved what I was supposed to solve. Then the credits rolled. I feel like there should or could have been one more major task to do, like actually finding a licensed physician in the city to heal the killer, then do one more interrogation, then bring the killer with me until I ran into the other officers. Is there? Was there? I dunno. I didn't think the ending was bad just that there could maybe have been one more thing before "talk to dude, talk to bug, go back, sudden on-the-spot roasting and explanation, credits roll as everybody finally goes home." (in my case at least)

But this also means I am eligible to doing a new run doing and saying different things with arguably even more drugs :getin:

don't be a giant fascist. be a big communism builder instead.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Or both!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i want to do a four-ideology-simultaneous-rotation run

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still think the ending was fantastic and very complete. The story being told had come to an end. I liked it.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It would be incredibly cool if there was the opportunity to concoct a completely incoherent Fifth Way ideology

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
did you sleep on the island?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

did you sleep on the island?

it's kind of hosed up that you can miss that. that and the bug were the main endings for my harry and, as someone here put it, the part after the boat ride was more like an epilogue.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

EorayMel posted:

yeah, if you didn't perform the optional task resting on the island for a bit you miss a significant part of the threads the finale ties up.

but if you did, well, that's just another excuse to play through again!

JustaDamnFool posted:

It would be incredibly cool if there was the opportunity to concoct a completely incoherent Fifth Way ideology

I haven't done it myself but it's not like it's hard to get all the ideology thoughts. surely the postgame wrapup stuff would mention it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

My character managed to say a lot of fascist and antifascist things, and Kim was impressed that he held both ideologies.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I did, I didn't nap on the island because I was going to turn my poo poo around and be a SUPERCOP after the Tribunal, which to me was the climax.

Kaysette posted:

it's kind of hosed up that you can miss that. that and the bug were the main endings for my harry and, as someone here put it, the part after the boat ride was more like an epilogue.

I agree with this and I can see how it's anticlimactic. There are two endings kind of, one for the main story involving Revachol and the rest is a coda about Harry. The Tribunal is really, really good though and it very much seems like IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THIS.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
On a scale of 1 to 10 how viable is a second run consisting of being a colossal communist hobocop getting into very loud and disturbingly drawn out and detailed arguments with everything and anything with maybe even more drugs involved?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EorayMel posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how viable is a second run consisting of being a colossal communist hobocop getting into very loud and disturbingly drawn out and detailed arguments with everything and anything with maybe even more drugs involved?

If this isn't everyone's first run it's definitely their second, and I'm pretty sure 11

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

100%

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually did my first playthrough without doing any drugs at all, which Kim comments on at the end. Though I didn't get the going sober thought or any of the political ones. (still was a giant communist though) Apparently you can get Waste Land of Reality from Measurehead? Not sure what options though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Just finished this for the first time and while the ending is a little abrupt the experience as a whole was just lovely. what a game

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

One of the best parts of this game is first saying to Kim that "I heard drugs make you a really good detective..." And then finding out for yourself that they really do make you a better detective lol.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually did my first playthrough without doing any drugs at all, which Kim comments on at the end. Though I didn't get the going sober thought or any of the political ones. (still was a giant communist though) Apparently you can get Waste Land of Reality from Measurehead? Not sure what options though.

I smoked 1 cigarette my whole run and at the end Kim comments that I am constantly smoking which is a bit of a petty bitch move on his part but I let it slide.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You can get it from him or the guy in the church, I think in both cases it comes up when you get them talking about the evils of "al-ghul".

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I smoked 1 cigarette my whole run and at the end Kim comments that I am constantly smoking which is a bit of a petty bitch move on his part but I let it slide.

I was hoping that every day would end talking with Kim as he smoked his cigarette, talking about the events of the day.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, I was also disappointed that there wasn't a smoking on the balcony debrief every night.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah I had one swig of beer to take the edge off and he acted like I was stumbling about pissed out of my gourd the entire time. Kind of made me wish I had been.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh one of the things I've been most disappointed with in this game, and there has been quite a few things, is how little the protagonist's inner demons seem to affect gameplay. I'm told that I'm a drug addicted, chain smoking alcoholic but it all feels like lip service. In the early hours of the game I thought I was going to play as a wild party monster, but it turns out there is almost no incentive to do so. At this point in the game I feel like my character's reputation is completely at odds with his actions and it wasn't even a choice I consciously made. I just kind of forgot that things like drinking and smoking were even a buff/debuff, option because it's almost never actually a carrot on a stick that hangs in front of you. It's just some barely relevant mechanic hanging in the background.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
My Harry did a lot of speed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Drugs DO make you a better detective. Always be doing drugs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Drugs DO make you a better detective. Always be doing drugs.

They do but, like, not by *enough* to make it a tough choice to not take them, you know?

You wake up and get a big lump of text about how bad your comedown/hangover/withdrawal is and then merrily sprint around town for the next 18 hours making incredibly astute deductions.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he never stops. he just keeps getting worse

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sebzilla posted:

They do but, like, not by *enough* to make it a tough choice to not take them, you know?

You wake up and get a big lump of text about how bad your comedown/hangover/withdrawal is and then merrily sprint around town for the next 18 hours making incredibly astute deductions.

Okay but...why would you NOT take them? I just kept taking the drugs and enjoying the boost on the skill checks.
Nothing gonna stop the can opener.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think a lot of it is that the protagonist is still coming off such a legendary bender that using drugs comes off to any observer as effortlessly slipping into old habits. (especially since you're technically doing them on the job) Even suggested that you running around is because of the speed still in your system.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Okay but...why would you NOT take them? I just kept taking the drugs and enjoying the boost on the skill checks.
Nothing gonna stop the can opener.

Trying to clean up my poo poo after waking up literally not knowing who I am?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

sebzilla posted:

We got a sorry cop here folks

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh one of the things I've been most disappointed with in this game, and there has been quite a few things, is how little the protagonist's inner demons seem to affect gameplay. I'm told that I'm a drug addicted, chain smoking alcoholic but it all feels like lip service. In the early hours of the game I thought I was going to play as a wild party monster, but it turns out there is almost no incentive to do so. At this point in the game I feel like my character's reputation is completely at odds with his actions and it wasn't even a choice I consciously made. I just kind of forgot that things like drinking and smoking were even a buff/debuff, option because it's almost never actually a carrot on a stick that hangs in front of you. It's just some barely relevant mechanic hanging in the background.

I think you would've seen a lot more of this if you had more Electrochemistry, but I can't say for sure, as I've yet to do a Physique-oriented playthrough myself

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Tsk tsk tsk.
Sounds like someone should listen to Electrochemistry more often. Electrochemistry would NEVER steer you wrong, EVER.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack Trades posted:

Tsk tsk tsk.
Sounds like someone should listen to Electrochemistry more often. Electrochemistry would NEVER steer you wrong, EVER.

ELECTROCHEMISTRY (Effortless) SUCCESS: that guy probably has some cocaine in his pockets, you should definitely rifle through them real quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah, I was also disappointed that there wasn't a smoking on the balcony debrief every night.

we all were