Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1309250906941202435

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
imagine the conundrum of getting sent endless amounts of old tech poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YzwTRCDLWg
as a minimalist, this would be a total nightmare/would all go into the dumpster immediately.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

As a recovering hoarder, I have thought multiple times of starting a youtube channel for specifically that reason

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

as a minimalist, this would be a total nightmare/would all go into the dumpster immediately.

It was funny when Giant Bomb did mailbag videos and people were sending them dozens of filthy copies of Madden 2004 for XBox

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

LifeSunDeath posted:

Given the housing market/pricing in NC and Asheville in particular that is well past conundrum and solidify in crisis for an space aspect alone. I assume he’s donating a majority of this stuff so hopefully it’s being kept in check.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Warbird posted:

Given the housing market/pricing in NC and Asheville in particular that is well past conundrum and solidify in crisis for an space aspect alone. I assume he’s donating a majority of this stuff so hopefully it’s being kept in check.

Wish he'd donate that drat powerbook to me

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

• I want to go "thrifting" like LGR
  • *Goes "thrifting"*
  • *Regrets buying it*
  • *Sends it to Clint*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's crazy how many obviously valuable things people sometimes send him. That Neogeo is apparently worth nearly 600 bucks.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Warbird posted:

It would be pretty neat to get a weekly automated post sharing those sorts of things IMO. Maybe leave off the search terms though, yikes.

after doing web app security for 6+ years and knowing the user agent is just a string, i would heavily recommend this never becomes a thing without massive amounts of escaping.

running XSS from the domain avoiding CORS would be the dream.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Warbird posted:

He did a Q&A video a few years ago and clarified that the majority of his stuff is kept in insured climate controlled public storage lockers

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That's got to be pricey but good on him for not flooding his house in that stuff.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Data Graham posted:

Wonder what search terms get people here these days.

I was searching Doobie's Dog House earlier (to get the correct syntax for 'let the KIDS! Eat what they want!!', as you do) and it's pretty high up for that.

Granted I don't know who would be searching for that other than goons. Maaybe if it comes up in a podcast or on twitter the way Groverhaus sometimes does.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
O.K. I am starting to think 8-Bit Guy is leaning into his status as the retro tech heel, this thread was really onto something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh2OCBZpzZ8

Observe as he carelessly shorts out and carves up a possibly 1-in-5-in-the-world IBM workstation!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Groverhaus shows up all over the place in all different kinds of communities.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Warbird posted:

That's got to be pricey but good on him for not flooding his house in that stuff.
In an old video he showed off his space and how he uses it as a work/studio space as well, so I'm sure a lot gets written off as business expenses. And storage spaces aren't that expensive, I live in a large city and its about $1-$1.5 per square foot for a climate controlled room. It looks like he makes at least $6.5K a month from Patreon alone plus whatever from Youtube, so he's probably doing ok.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I have voiced my ideological dissent of 8bit guy's lifestyle in the youtube comments:

Certainly this will invite productive discourse.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

O.K. I am starting to think 8-Bit Guy is leaning into his status as the retro tech heel, this thread was really onto something

Observe as he carelessly shorts out and carves up a possibly 1-in-5-in-the-world IBM workstation!

“Should we send these to a museum or something?”

“Nah, call that YouTube guy.”

I don’t really care (nor am I particularly electrically inclined), but I’m not sure I can think of any good reason to put a paper clip in a power supply. Though if they were just sitting in a ratty leaking warehouse they were basically write offs anyway.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

There was a bit of drama about that place a year or two ago. I didn't follow it to see how it turned out, but the tl;dr version is that the original owner died and his family let a group of "volunteers" in, ostensibly to help clean up and sort out the stock, but they just helped themselves to anything they wanted, and ruined a lot of what was left by letting people part it out - or like in the video, let people who have no loving idea what they're doing dick around with it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

LifeSunDeath posted:

I hated Macs as a kid but I always loved the look of the G4 tower, very jealous that he just got sent one for free

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yikes. I mean, my personal ranking of the retro-tech youtubers has always had 8-Bit Guy well below both LGR and Techmoan, but that was just my taste in their presentation styles. Well, judgement confirmed, I guess. I always figured all of them must know what they're doing when it comes to repairing and restoring old hardware, right? I mean, that's what their whole channels are about?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sweevo posted:

There was a bit of drama about that place a year or two ago. I didn't follow it to see how it turned out, but the tl;dr version is that the original owner died and his family let a group of "volunteers" in, ostensibly to help clean up and sort out the stock, but they just helped themselves to anything they wanted, and ruined a lot of what was left by letting people part it out - or like in the video, let people who have no loving idea what they're doing dick around with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvM82T3C2Ik

LGR went there too.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Iirc they were just going to trash everything and sell the building / stop paying rent (don't remember which). They let in some people, then pruned it back to fewer people after ??? to salvage what they could before they got rid of it all. I guess the tech collectors banded together enough to keep it open.

Pretty funny seeing every comment call 8BG a dipshit for that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah this is one of the rare times I’d say it’s ok to glance through the comments. I did see one person mentioning the fuse he got wasn’t a proper match and could be contributing to weirdness. Folks are noting he could have made the safety screws flathead useable by cutting a notch in them (or buying the screwdriver at Home Depot, heck I’m pretty sure I have one as part of a computer screwdriver set).

It’s interesting to watch, people seem annoyed but the comments are all pretty civil and constructive for the most part. It’s super weird.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

Yeah this is one of the rare times I’d say it’s ok to glance through the comments. I did see one person mentioning the fuse he got wasn’t a proper match and could be contributing to weirdness. Folks are noting he could have made the safety screws flathead useable by cutting a notch in them (or buying the screwdriver at Home Depot, heck I’m pretty sure I have one as part of a computer screwdriver set).

It’s interesting to watch, people seem annoyed but the comments are all pretty civil and constructive for the most part. It’s super weird.

I didnt watch the video yet, but I got the feeling that 8bitguy was more of a software guy because didn't he send stuff out, or have someone come help him fix it the just retrobited the case and put it all back together?

Techmoan, is like 'yeah, I don't have a manual or anything, but I bet I can take this 45 year old record player apart, and fix it.

Kinda falls in here sometimes too, but EEVBlog is good sometime, but his videos are all mostly too long, but really informative.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Who gives a poo poo about destroying screws, really. But how does somebody with a computer tinkering youtube channel not have a security bit set? They're like $5 at Harbor Freight.

Jamming a paper clip in the power supply to kill it was hilarious. I half expected him to then take that paper clip and stick it where the fuse was. And I love how he ended the video with "I told the guys at Computer Reset to send over any other interesting things they find!!" Yeah, I'm sure that's the first thing they'll think about next time they find some rare equipment (or maybe they actually will. It doesn't seem like they care too much anyway)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some of the comments are saying he was loaned the computer by the warehouse. The one he shorted out and Dremel'd.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

wa27 posted:

Who gives a poo poo about destroying screws, really.

He damaged the casing in his dremeling. Still a super-nerd issue, but not something replaceable.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

I bet it was as useful as the Floating Point Unit Coprocessor Program I had for my Performa 68k :slick:

I don't know about that one in particular but I imagine such a thing could possibly be useful. On PC at least, when building software you got to choose whether it should use a real FPU (e.g. 8087/80287) and/or emulated FPU:

Numeric processing
[ ] 8087/80287
[X] Emulation

I'm pretty sure some developers would choose to not support emulation and instead require a real FPU for performance reasons, I think AutoCAD might have been an early one for that. However I'm sure some people would have been desperate to run the software no matter how slow it was and used a third-party FPU emulator if such a thing was available. That's certainly the kind of thing I would have done, not to do anything useful but just to see what a program looked like or something :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DariusLikewise posted:

I hated Macs as a kid but I always loved the look of the G4 tower, very jealous that he just got sent one for free

Jesus. I still think of the G4 tower as a brand-new modern-era design aimed at adults like me

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
The G4 tower was the first computer I ever played online games with. Starcraft, then Diablo, then Diablo II.

I also remember watching Niel Cicierega's "animutation" flash movies on it. My Cool Computer Uncle had restored it to factory defaults before giving it to us, but put those flash files on the desktop.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of The 8-Bit Guy...

not sure how old this is, or if it has surfaced before, but this was posted today and I'm done giving him views after this:

https://twitter.com/compgeke/status/1309634616127418369?s=20

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s the stuff that caused him to come up originally.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

At least he admits it's perverse.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Doing that with a visibly unloaded .22 at least makes it believable that he was genuinely doing it out of protest instead of just trying to make people uncomfortable, but he's still an rear end in a top hat.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8568_3amO4

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Speaking of The 8-Bit Guy...

not sure how old this is, or if it has surfaced before, but this was posted today and I'm done giving him views after this:

https://twitter.com/compgeke/status/1309634616127418369?s=20
I am saying Wow Eight Bit Guy You're A Little Freak

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dr. Quarex posted:

I know the community of vintage computer people I'm in on Facebook have flipped the gently caress out over this video, making a point of how bored/disinterested 8-Bit Guy seems during the whole video.

I haven't watched it yet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

I know the community of vintage computer people I'm in on Facebook have flipped the gently caress out over this video, making a point of how bored/disinterested 8-Bit Guy seems during the whole video.

It's not 8-bit :shrug:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I didn’t know I needed an affable British man telling me about early 2000s pop music MP3 players this morning but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Warbird posted:

I didn’t know I needed an affable British man telling me about early 2000s pop music MP3 players this morning but here we are.

Spice girls are British, their impact on us was nothing compared to the KT extinction event that happened in England.