Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

timefly posted:

Are all landlords using this flyer? I found it taped to my door this morning. My rep payee forgot to mail my check. This is the first time I've even been late, and my rent is usually $221/month so I don't know what the rest is about. I took my check to the office and the property manager wasn't there, but her receptionist said she was pretty mad. I never got any of these e-mails/notices/texts/calls, either. Sigh. Hopefully I can just pay the rest over the next couple of months and not get thrown out. I'm on disability and my rent is subsidized so I'm kinda a guaranteed $1000/month for them.

I bet she saw the original viral post, thought the flyer was hilarious and a great way to stick it to her tenants, and just made a copy of her own without caring whether the text applied or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

timefly posted:

Are all landlords using this flyer? I found it taped to my door this morning. My rep payee forgot to mail my check. This is the first time I've even been late, and my rent is usually $221/month so I don't know what the rest is about. I took my check to the office and the property manager wasn't there, but her receptionist said she was pretty mad. I never got any of these e-mails/notices/texts/calls, either. Sigh. Hopefully I can just pay the rest over the next couple of months and not get thrown out. I'm on disability and my rent is subsidized so I'm kinda a guaranteed $1000/month for them.

This was showing up in Twitter posts and stuff, I'm not gonna lie I sort of assumed it was not real. But landlords do seem to have "professional associations" so maybe it's being distributed as an idea by one of those? Not sure.

Also you probably need a lawyer to deal with eviction stuff, check with the law thread in (I think?) A/T and they can point you to resources for low-income people if necessary.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lightning Knight posted:

This was showing up in Twitter posts and stuff, I'm not gonna lie I sort of assumed it was not real. But landlords do seem to have "professional associations" so maybe it's being distributed as an idea by one of those? Not sure.

"Guys I came up with something that has such sociopathic boomer email forward energy to it, it's amazing. The mood is completely disconnected from the gravity and severity of what's being presented, like for real--"

"drat it, out with it! I wanna look empathically dead during a global crisis!"

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Also you probably need a lawyer to deal with eviction stuff, check with the law thread in (I think?) A/T and they can point you to resources for low-income people if necessary.

Thanks! I think it's just a threat at this point, but if it comes to that, the state housing authority will help me out. I've dealt with all the resources a bunch already, unfortunately. I just couldn't believe she used the Twitter meme as an actual threat lol

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1309504068742713345

flexing on my dead boss by blasting out a quick set while she lies in state

lmao

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ron paulsy

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

timefly posted:

Thanks! I think it's just a threat at this point, but if it comes to that, the state housing authority will help me out. I've dealt with all the resources a bunch already, unfortunately. I just couldn't believe she used the Twitter meme as an actual threat lol

Document everything!!! Including the dumb twitter meme!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I never felt the same hate towards landlords that a lot of cspam has, until I saw that loving flyer and my immediate thought was "Mao was right."

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

spacemang_spliff posted:

I never felt the same hate towards landlords that a lot of cspam has, until I saw that loving flyer and my immediate thought was "Mao was right."

have you ever had to rent a place to live? it's very easy to have first hand experience with awful landlords

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i never really had any out of the ordinary negative experiences with a landlord but if you don't hate them on principle you're not a leftist and don't understand poo poo about poo poo

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

PokeJoe posted:

have you ever had to rent a place to live? it's very easy to have first hand experience with awful landlords

Yeah I rented from 2002 to 2016

I had some lovely landlords and some not so lovely ones. The worst was a big management company that lost my check and tried to tack on a months worth of late fees until I showed them the carbon copy of the check I wrote them and they miraculously found my payment from that month.

I just didn't feel visceral hate beyond what I feel for any other business until I saw that loving flyer

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Also landlords complaining about their investments not having a guaranteed return during a pandemic and financial collapse really accelerated the hatred

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I have scarred up arms and legs from dozens and dozens of bug bites long ago I got from living in a slumlord's property. Our cat got killed in the 5' dry grass (fleas and fire hazard hooray). I learned to ignore gunshots while sleeping. Got asthma from the basement which repeatedly flooded and grew black mold. You ever seen a crockroach come out of your cereal and still ate it? The oven kept coming on at full power because a roach got inside and shorted something. The property manager was another tenant who did it for a rent deduction and spent most of her time screaming at us.

As you may expect, none of these things were addressed and we withheld rent as a result. He showed up in a obviously unnecessary neckbrace at the court and blamed it all on us. Judge immediately sided with us, I think in part for how deeply unpleasant our landlord was.

On the other hand both Safeway and a burgerville were in walking distance so it's kind of a toss up.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

the worst experience i ever had with a landlord was one not dealing with an ant issue for 3 consecutive summers, but still gently caress landlords

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/BurgerKing/status/1309147892377169923

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

when you realise that landlords are parasites and leech money while providing next to gently caress all in service or labour is the real crack ping moment

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

AceClown posted:

when you realise that landlords are parasites and leech money while providing next to gently caress all in service or labour is the real crack ping moment

yeah this, this, and this.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the real crack ping moment is when you realize the entire capitalist class is parasitic!!!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/extinctdaemon/status/1309606432095055873?s=21

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wow holy loving poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol is that a textbook

"today in class we learned that women can say the n word, i love the humanities"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

timefly posted:

I lived in a place that if I was late on rent would put up fake eviction paperwork taped to my door

I think it's a shame tactic + escalation. I don't even think in most states the first missed month is grounds to evict anyway, not without notice and some time for you to pay, but could be wrong. This paperwork might be their 'notice' so that they can evict ASAP or it might be literally just because they think so little of you that their first idea is to give you PTSD b/c they didn't see your check

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Antonymous posted:

I lived in a place that if I was late on rent would put up fake eviction paperwork taped to my door

I think it's a shame tactic + escalation. I don't even think in most states the first missed month is grounds to evict anyway, not without notice and some time for you to pay, but could be wrong. This paperwork might be their 'notice' so that they can evict ASAP or it might be literally just because they think so little of you that their first idea is to give you PTSD b/c they didn't see your check

Yeah, they know I moved here in March because I was evicted from my last apartment for having forbidden cats. My friend committed suicide and we couldn't find a home for them in time. So I had to move from the University of Delaware campus in Newark to downtown Wilmington. There was a drive by right outside my window 2 weeks after I moved here! But this was the only place available. So they know I have nowhere else to go. They'd have to give me formal notice and 60 days to move out if I were being evicted, at least.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Okay this bad but at the same time a memorable album cover

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Apathy420 posted:

Get some sleep and sleep well knowing that I alone am strong enough to swim out and sink all those battleships myself.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

timefly posted:

Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft where we are hard, and cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand. They think, deep in their hearts, that they are better than we are because we had to discover the compensations and refuges of life for ourselves. Even when they enter deep into our world or sink below us, they still think that they are better than we
are. They are different.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

comedyblissoption posted:

Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft where we are hard, and cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand. They think, deep in their hearts, that they are better than we are because we had to discover the compensations and refuges of life for ourselves. Even when they enter deep into our world or sink below us, they still think that they are better than we
are. They are different.

And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

are. They are different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJXFhq8nH4&t=96s

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/ComplexMusic/status/1309646908282097675

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I wish this meant she leaked classified information that 2 Pac is alive instead of just showing she has a bad PR team.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I know there is a 100% chance the first tweet was just a joke shitpost, but I really want that first post to be real and that argument between a customer and all the burger kings staff about Derrida to of actually happened.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

are they saying obama is white

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

inferis posted:

are they saying obama is white

they are equating the n word with "bitch" and claiming that the n word is comparatively less harmful to say today thanks to obama

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

dr_rat posted:

I know there is a 100% chance the first tweet was just a joke shitpost, but I really want that first post to be real and that argument between a customer and all the burger kings staff about Derrida to of actually happened.

isn’t the joke prewritten for the specific outcome that burger king responds to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they are equating the n word with "bitch" and claiming that the n word is comparatively less harmful to say today thanks to obama

Jesus Christ no they're saying that the n word has faded from our mainstream lexicon (it hasn't) while the word bitch which is the same (it isn't) has remained

it's a lovely take but at least get which brand of poo poo it is correctly