Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
turns out that yoko taro is the most wholesome director in games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
His wife seems extremely wholesome as well so that checks out.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Goofy horny public personas continue to correlate with sex-positive decent folks and serious feminist public personas continue to correlate with creepy abusive assholes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Endorph posted:

here is, literally, a victim coming out

https://twitter.com/winnersusedrugs/status/1018327097528520704

admittedly it didnt seem like she received the worst of it but considering in this thread she talks about him creeping on her so bad she threw up, well,

it always makes me mad that he basicaly got away with being a gross rear end in a top hat because he played at being woke/progressive and said the right poo poo when gamer gate happened. got i hope he gets dragged someday.

Mokinokaro posted:

His wife seems extremely wholesome as well so that checks out.

so is his sister. she seems cool and has actual talent.

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/1309530464470929409

unpaid overtime, verbal abuse, etc etc. im mostly finding french reporting on it and mostly reporting on this site's report since, yeah, paywalled.

i wouldnt go 'no sex stuff!!' tho. if the guy was top level at ubisoft and was also abusive he was probably at least aware of the sexual abuse going on at other parts of ubisoft.

he is yelling about how its fake news on instagram pretty hard so that makes me believe it more.

dogstile posted:

I have a general rule that if someone's entire online personality is how much of a good person they are, they're 100% a lovely abuser using it as a cover.

this. it annoys me that the progressives havent really learned from the evangelicals. the more holy warrior you pretend to be, the higher likelyhood you are of being a weird projecting sick gently caress ashsole.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Phone posted:

turns out that yoko taro is the most wholesome director in games

i mean taro is just open about what he likes but he also knows how to write characters and themes such. you can be horny and still be progressive as long as everything is consensual and your not a weird creep about it.

Somfin posted:

Goofy horny public personas continue to correlate with sex-positive decent folks and serious feminist public personas continue to correlate with creepy abusive assholes

exactly. its why i am waiting for some hammers to fall on various twitter critics and not surprised when folks like mandalore gaming end up being chill and not chuds.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Somfin posted:

Absolutely not true. Nick Robinson was all about goofy sex-positive horny on main stuff and was also a turbocreep.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DoctorWhat posted:

Absolutely not true. Nick Robinson was all about goofy sex-positive horny on main stuff and was also a turbocreep.

Yeah when that dude got exposed that was when I learned about what "soft boys" were

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Dapper_Swindler posted:

exactly. its why i am waiting for some hammers to fall on various twitter critics and not surprised when folks like mandalore gaming end up being chill and not chuds.

Mandalore was in the Stellar Jockeys discord when Gauss was outed as a transphobe and assured the team that he was still going to do his upcoming review to promote the game and wouldn't include anything about his behavior in it, so at the very least he was totally cool with signal-boosting and channeling money towards a chud. Also he's affiliated with GoG which is incredibly sus if any of their many lovely marketing dogwhistles are any indication.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

Mandalore was in the Stellar Jockeys discord when Gauss was outed as a transphobe and assured the team that he was still going to do his upcoming review to promote the game and wouldn't include anything about his behavior in it, so at the very least he was totally cool with signal-boosting and channeling money towards a chud. Also he's affiliated with GoG which is incredibly sus if any of their many lovely marketing dogwhistles are any indication.

Also a good friend of Sseth who while I don't think is a chud, is very much chud aligned in his humor.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Somfin posted:

In addition to being wrong, this is just an unhelpful perspective to take towards abusers and abusive behavior in general. Abusers are very good at hiding themselves. They're often very careful to say the right things in public, and in many cases may even belong to the same marginalized out-group as their victims. There is NO "public persona" that innoculates anyone from suspicion.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

exquisite tea posted:

In addition to being wrong, this is just an unhelpful perspective to take towards abusers and abusive behavior in general. Abusers are very good at hiding themselves. They're often very careful to say the right things in public, and in many cases may even belong to the same marginalized out-group as their victims. There is NO "public persona" that innoculates anyone from suspicion.

Look if people want to out themselves as being so fundamentally broken that they think that everyone who acts nice or does good things is just faking it to cover for being monstrous it's better we let them do that so we know not to take them seriously anymore.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Almost like saying "this person can't be an abuser because of X trait" is exactly how abusers are able to maintain cover.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sleeveless posted:

Look if people want to out themselves as being so fundamentally broken that they think that everyone who acts nice or does good things is just faking it to cover for being monstrous it's better we let them do that so we know not to take them seriously anymore.

That's not what's being said but you loving go off son.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Mokinokaro posted:

Also a good friend of Sseth who while I don't think is a chud, is very much chud aligned in his humor.

Why do people like that guy? I see people who like the same people I like say he's awesome, and I've watched like almost all of his videos and his humor is... like not even humor. He just repeats 4chan memes, and dog whistles. I actually enjoy "edgy" humor but if you're gonna use stereotypes and memes you gotta use them to make a new joke, just repeating them isn't funny! He's got good taste in games but so do a whole lot of other people and I can watch their videos without my head spinning wondering why the hell people think this is funny/good.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 27, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The editing is funny but there are other people who use that editing style.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fighting Elegy posted:

Why do people like that guy? I see people who like the same people I like say he's awesome, and I've watched like almost all of his videos and his humor is... like not even humor. He just repeats 4chan memes, and dog whistles. I actually enjoy "edgy" humor but if you're gonna use stereotypes and memes you gotta use them to make a new joke, just repeating them isn't funny! He's got good taste in games but so do a whole lot of other people and I can watch their videos without my head spinning wondering why the hell people think this is funny/good.

Yeah I don't get it either.

He's okay in his Mandalore cameos though since he tends to just deliver a goofy line or two.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

DoctorWhat posted:

exquisite tea posted:

Terrible Opinions posted:

Almost like saying "this person can't be an abuser because of X trait" is exactly how abusers are able to maintain cover.

Y'all I used the word "correlate with" not "always means." I did not suggest that you can or should prejudge someone either way based purely on how they present themselves in public or that people can't hide being a predator behind being sex-positive or goofy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I just don't think there is much of a correlation if only because in the last round of these rapist outings all of them did present as sex-positive publicly. Specifically when it came to light that all the free love fantasy and sci-fi authors active in the 1980s were rapists or pedophiles.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i do think there's a very specific *kind* of sex-positivity that presents red flags. dming women "send nudes" memes being a pertinent example.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

sseth always struck me as someone who never grew out of chan humor more than an out right chud. i tried watching him but most of his stuff isnt really for me. but than again i like oney plays.

exquisite tea posted:

very true. anyone can be a predator. i think its more people notice it more when its a "hypocrite".

Sleeveless posted:

GOG fired the big media rear end in a top hat who said the bad poo poo and has been pretty decent ever since. but that sucks. from reading the critic thread, mandalore seems to basicaly be friends with everyone accross the political spectrum and has shown up on Hbombers stuff from time to time.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 28, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I just don't think there is much of a correlation if only because in the last round of these rapist outings all of them did present as sex-positive publicly. Specifically when it came to light that all the free love fantasy and sci-fi authors active in the 1980s were rapists or pedophiles.

Oof yeah.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean taro is just open about what he likes but he also knows how to write characters and themes such. you can be horny and still be progressive as long as everything is consensual and your not a weird creep about it.

...Was there a reason people thought Mandalore was awful? :confused:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

...Was there a reason people thought Mandalore was awful? :confused:

he has made channer jokes in his realy really old videos and he is friends with some edgier youtubers. but apperently he is pretty progressive or something, he just doesnt make it a focus of his stuff, least thats what i got from him talking with hbomber.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also his avatar is a knight and that's usually a bad sign on youtube.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mandalore was pretty pro-BLM on twitter and that's a decent bellwether on whether someone isn't a total piece of poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

i do think there's a very specific *kind* of sex-positivity that presents red flags. dming women "send nudes" memes being a pertinent example.
if you jokingly ask for something that you'd enjoy getting, it isnt a joke, youre just asking

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CYBEReris posted:

That's not a red flag, that's just sexual harassment. And it's not something that people can be aware of if it's hidden in DMs.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Somfin posted:

I think the more telling thing is that Yoko Taro seems completely allergic to any degree of celebrity. he wants to be known basically only for his work to the point that he just uses emils face instead of his own. step one of being a huge creepo to fans seems to be building up a cult of personality which is hard to do when you're a skeleton.

(i won't be shocked if kojima turns out to be a sex freak for exactly this reason, but I also don't think he'd let down his buddy Guillermo like that so)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

egg tats posted:

I think the more telling thing is that Yoko Taro seems completely allergic to any degree of celebrity. he wants to be known basically only for his work to the point that he just uses emils face instead of his own. step one of being a huge creepo to fans seems to be building up a cult of personality which is hard to do when you're a skeleton.

(i won't be shocked if kojima turns out to be a sex freak for exactly this reason, but I also don't think he'd let down his buddy Guillermo like that so)

The man has a gimmick where he only shows up in a giant mask that looks like Termina's moon, and everyone accepts it, not because "ha ha funny man has gimmick we are going to humour" but because that's what everyone knows him as. As far as anyone is concerned, Yoko Taro has "won" celebrityhood.

Hideo Kojima, meanwhile, seems like the kind of guy who has no idea what sexual behaviour is and would definitely be some kind of weird incel abuser if he did.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IMO it's bad to speculate that people are sex criminals based on no evidence at all

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

egg tats posted:

he just uses emils face instead of his own

Kazinsal posted:

he only shows up in a giant mask that looks like Termina's moon

Get your Yoko Taro lore straight Kazinsal

Also play Nier Automata the game loving rules

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

The man has a gimmick where he only shows up in a giant mask that looks like Termina's moon, and everyone accepts it, not because "ha ha funny man has gimmick we are going to humour" but because that's what everyone knows him as. As far as anyone is concerned, Yoko Taro has "won" celebrityhood.

The way Taro talks in earlier interviews also makes it obvious the mask helps him cope with stage fright. He doesn't really like being in the public eye so he essentially created a character for that purpose.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yoko Taro's games are truly brilliant. They're known for having an edgy and messed up tone, but their real strength lies in honest character writing and willingness to tackle existential issues. However, he IS a gemini, and they are all sex criminals.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Somfin posted:

Get your Yoko Taro lore straight Kazinsal

Also play Nier Automata the game loving rules

I have not played critically acclaimed transhumanism and robot butts game yet despite having heard very good things about it and I apologize for my transgressions

I have a week off work soonish and will endeavour to play it then

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mokinokaro posted:

The way Taro talks in earlier interviews also makes it obvious the mask helps him cope with stage fright. He doesn't really like being in the public eye so he essentially created a character for that purpose.

There was one..I think it was a FFXIV stream before Shadowbringers came out maybe, where they had him and Yosuke Saito on for a chat, with Taro wearing the mask. Except it got real fuckin' hot under the lights and all so he went back stage and spoke on mic with just the Emil head sitting on the desk with everyone else.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Irony Be My Shield posted:

IMO it's bad to speculate that people are sex criminals based on no evidence at all

For a distressing number of people this is just one more avenue to cast aspersions on all the people they personally dislike and justify their weird persistent hatreds of niche internet community figures rather than an actual genuine interest in preventing future acts of sexual harassment and assault.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah idk what to tell you guys but 'this guy i like would never do a sex crime' and 'this guy i dont like would do a sex crime' is like literally the least helpful thing in the world. like we've had plenty of instances of dudes who made awkwardly horny games being outed as abusers, we've had plenty of instances of guys who went out of their way to do the 'right' things when it came to that stuff being outed as abusers, we've had plenty of instances of dudes who made stuff that was sexless being outed as abusers. theres no magic bullet here, no matter how much you want there to be.

that doesnt mean you cant criticize how kojima handles sex in his games or whatever ('there's another one in my...' is maybe the worst scene in video game history) but theres just no value whatsoever in saying that indicates anything about what hed do in real life, and that sort of attitude leads to misinformation. as a random example, mike z was the one trying to rein in how horny skullgirls was in a lot of cases and guess who on the skullgirls team was a creep.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 28, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, predators come in all shapes and sizes. Some excel at hiding, others less so. There's no outward personality trait or type that confers
inoculation against being a sex-criminal.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sure, but if someone gives you the creeps when you interact with them, there's probably a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Using your judgement is very important, the most important thing I think, and something predators routinely use as cover, is to not go along with someone's behaviour because you feel socially inferior to them be they a high status person a boss or whatever. I appreciate that this is difficult for the reasons of the person being high status but if someone rings your alarm bells don't give them more chances because either they prove you wrong, in which nothing happens, or they prove you right and the whole self recrimination thing kicks off again.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 28, 2020