Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

How does the FFXIV free time deal work? Is it just create an S-E account or is it linked to Steam? I remember making use of the 14-day trial thing on my Steam account a couple years ago, so maybe I'm not elegible for that?

Steam is a weirdly technically separate ecosystem for XIV, if you have it on Steam you have to get all of it through Steam unless you wanna start over and make a new SE account for it. (:negative:) They have gotten better about that but I'd still recommend making a new SE account for the purpose of;

The entire base game (A Realm Reborn, 2.0-2.5.5(?)) and all of the first expansion, Heavensward, are now entirely free to play forever. You'll be missing a couple of the later classes, you obviously can't reach max level and you probably (I haven't looked) have some mild account restrictions but it's hundreds of hours of JRPG with very good MMO content on the side. The game is also purpose built to ensure that people who are doing old content will always be able to do it, with some occasional queueing problems for rarer or undone stuff, so even if you never buy the game you can still do all the stuff in the free portion just by queueing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

When I first activated 2FA on Steam a few years back, the window that popped up with the recovery code was blank where the alphanumeric code should have been. Customer support fixed it after a couple of days but my butthole sure was puckered while I sorted it out, lemme tell you.

The universe sent you a sign, a clear message that you should do something else with your life

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

HopperUK posted:

It's a word for that thing where someone from the real world goes through a portal or whatever and enters a fantastical world and has to operate there. In NNK2 this happens to the young, sexy president of the USA.

I'm legitimately disappointed that they took a concept like this and flubbed it so badly.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

why did they not only replace the VO but changend the entire staging of the intro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZljaCZcoNQ&t=780s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_mUquU6mZo&t=193s

weird design choices, let's see where this goes.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
How's the pc version of Nier Automata these days? I remember reading that it wasn't a good port when it came out, but recent reviews on Steam are positive, sooo?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Edmond Dantes posted:

You mean on steam? The Steam and Squeenix stores are separate for FF14, so whichever client you're using/creating the account on, you're gonna have to buy the game/expacs on there if you don't want to start over (and steam has way better prices for ff14 for our region)

Oh, I'd forgotten all about this! Thanks for the reminder. I lost access to my original S-E account (forgot my security question :v:) that I created like three years ago so I decided I'd just create a new account and give the game a spin, if I like it I'll just contact support and see if they can restore my old account. when I last played it, the trial was only 14 days long and life got in the way before I got out of the first city.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Soul Glo posted:

How's the pc version of Nier Automata these days? I remember reading that it wasn't a good port when it came out, but recent reviews on Steam are positive, sooo?

I don't think they ever officially patched it, but the special k mod made it run perfect for me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morter posted:

Is the hack/slash/loot/exploration enough to carry me in this game? Most people say its fun, some people say it's terrible/shallow. I'm not expecting Monster Hunter level technicality, but the game clips I've seen remind me of Rogue Galaxy, which I enjoyed a lot.

I was incredibly confused about what it had in common with Black Flag’s Naval Combat In Space but then realized that’s Rebel Galaxy, not Rogue Galaxy.

NNK2 is okay but forgettable on the level of “I clicked the store link and was surprised that I own it, let alone played it for a few hours”.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It solves a problem that only exists if you don't have money (can't buy a console or PC to play games), but if you don't have money you can't make use of this solution (which requires high priced internet and some base level of device to play it on)

I have such a loose sense of what the internet situation is like outside the US, but maybe there are places where good internet is cheap enough to make this a decent proposition? It does seem like people who only want to have to own a non-gaming laptop or something it could fill a potential need.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is there a way to speed up the action in SD GUNDAM G GENERATION CROSS RAYS ? I feel like a game with a million billion units and characters to upgrade and customize should be fast and snappy, not slow as balls

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I keep finding out about games that have been out for a bit and then discovering they're EGS exclusive. And I end up not playing them because of that. I just discovered Spellbreak and I'll probably never check it out.

I'm wondering if I'm old and don't want to keep up with games anymore. A younger me would use all these platforms, but I don't seem to care nowadays.

Back Alley Borks fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 26, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Almost all of the actually good EGS games are on Steam now

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Codeacious posted:

I keep finding out about games that have been out for a bit and then discovering they're EGS exclusive. And I end up not playing them because of that. I just discovered Spellbreak and I'll probably never check it out.

I'm wondering if I'm old and don't want to keep up with games anymore. A younger me wouldn't care about all these platforms, but I don't seem to care nowadays.

There are so many good games that exclusives don't work on me because there is someone else to play that's just as rad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nearing the end of black mesa, ready for it to be over (though the xen expansion is very good, can't deny that)

i'm surprised the HECU troopers weren't mentioned as a black mark against it more on release, i can't remember the last time i hated a single enemy type so much. even on the lowest difficulty setting they're a loving nightmare to deal with and that's not even getting into their turrets and tanks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

Almost all of the actually good EGS games are on Steam now

I think THPS 1+2 is the last really good exclusive that hasn’t made it to Steam.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

nearing the end of black mesa, ready for it to be over (though the xen expansion is very good, can't deny that)

i'm surprised the HECU troopers weren't mentioned as a black mark against it more on release, i can't remember the last time i hated a single enemy type so much. even on the lowest difficulty setting they're a loving nightmare to deal with and that's not even getting into their turrets and tanks

I do recall people complaining about them ages ago, specifically in the ways they were diifferent from in Half Life.I definitely found them a real pain in a way I can't remember feeling in the original game.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I remember playing an earlier Black Mesa version and they were so accurate and so quick to aim at you that it was less like they were shooting a gun and more like they had a magical damage aura that dealt <x> damage per second to you whenever there wasn't a solid object blocking line of sight.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's always funny to see that kind of thing. The trick about enemies in video games isn't to make them dangerous, it's to make them believably flawed while still being dangerous.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I also remember people complaining about them a while back when the game first launched for the reasons mentioned here.

I can't believe it's been 16 years since the project was started. I remember being so hyped for it when it was first announced.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They also made the bee gun next to useless (not that it was actually all that great before) because it's secondary fire is so innacurate. I also never used the gauss gun when I got the tau cannon but that might have been accurate to its inspiration.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I remember the gauss gun was incredible in multiplayer, but I don't recall using it much in the original HL campaign.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm seeing Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom as 75% off, reducing it to the very tempting $15. Anyone played it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/589360/Ni_no_Kuni_II_Revenant_Kingdom/

My daughter inhaled it and loved it. It's decent, same aesthetic as the first and way less tedious story.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

So this might not be the perfect place to ask this but since it's one of the major default "video game" threads here...

Autohotkey. Does anybody know how to setup keys that rebind another set of keys on the fly?
I want to setup some keyboard hotkeys that rebind the D-pad on my joystick, each key setting up different binds. Basically this:

Press keyboard key "A"
dpad-up::1
dpad-down::2
dpad-left::3
dpad-right::4

Press keyboard key "B"
dpad-up::5
dpad-down::6
dpad-left::7
dpad-right::8

...and so on.

Does anybody know how to do this?
This would be better done with Steam's controller interface, you can use it to set action layers. Is there a reason it needs to be AHK?

Kragger99 posted:

With the Gamepass subscription going up next month, wasn't there a way to get a years worth by buying a Live Gold pass or something? I thought a few goons posted about that a week or two ago.
You can stack up to 36 months of Live Gold, then use this https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/gold/upgrade and pay $1 to convert all the time to Ultimate.

If you have a costco membership https://www.costco.com/xbox-live-24-month-gold-membership-digital-download.product.100375009.html https://www.costco.com/xbox-live-12-month-gold-membership-digital-download.product.100374986.html
Final price can be as low as $4.20~/month depending on your local taxes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Strike Vector EX is another one of those "yeah maybe when it came out but kind of pointless now" games.

It's a 6 degrees of movement aerial dog-fighting arcade game with futuristic space mechs, like if Virtual-On but with flight. Nothing impressive after the first few missions and the constant leaderboards being shoved in my face just condition me to think the game was expected to have a thriving online community and the single player stuff was just shoved in to make it more of a game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

I remember playing an earlier Black Mesa version and they were so accurate and so quick to aim at you that it was less like they were shooting a gun and more like they had a magical damage aura that dealt <x> damage per second to you whenever there wasn't a solid object blocking line of sight.

this was my experience with black mesa as well, and it was such an enjoyment/pacing killer that I didn't end up finishing it (as it was at the time) despite having a lot of fun with the game before they showed up, & reading that it hasn't changed has made me pretty much write off the finished game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's either a mod or an easy INI tweak (or both) out there to make the marines less insane.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

pentyne posted:

There were still people frothing with anger that Steam "forced" them to use a smartphone for 2FA. The guy who made one of the major card idle programs ceased support for it for that reason.

Bieeanshee posted:

I honestly couldn't afford a smartphone when it launched, and the best I could when I did was a damned Windows phone. Not a huge thing, given I didn't work the marketplace, but still frustrating.

If anyone's actually stopped from setting up 2FA for things by not having a mobile device, WinAuth works with Steam authorization codes, Blizzard 2FA codes, and the Google authorization codes used by uPlay, EGS, and whatever else. It's made starting Steam kind of cumbersome in that I have to do the following:

1) Start KeePass and type in its password
2) Start WinAuth and go back to KeePass to grab its password and paste it into the WinAuth window
3) Start Steam and go back to KeePass to grab its password and paste it into the Steam window
4) Go to the WinAuth window and grab the authentication code for Steam and paste it in to the Steam window

It beats grabbing a phone or tablet when I want to open Steam, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Don't they also still have the option of sending you a confirmation code by email if you don't have or don't want to use the smartphone 2FA with SteamGuard?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

This would be better done with Steam's controller interface, you can use it to set action layers. Is there a reason it needs to be AHK?

Actually, no it doesn't need to be AHK. It just needs to be something that works.

Does Steam support HOTAS setups?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Actually, no it doesn't need to be AHK. It just needs to be something that works.

Does Steam support HOTAS setups?

Oh my bad, I didn't realize you meant HOTAS. I don't think so? What do you currently use to assign keys?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Unfortunately the game peaks at the isekai president shooting a rat guard in the head with a pistol, but this is like literally the opening cutscene.
No I think there's a bit of gameplay (technically, in that you walk around) between the opening cutscene and when you shoot the rat in a different cutscene.

The gun instantly stops being special after that and is just that character's ranged attack, and there are a bunch of other guns to upgrade to and so forth.

Edmond Dantes posted:

You mean on steam? The Steam and Squeenix stores are separate for FF14, so whichever client you're using/creating the account on, you're gonna have to buy the game/expacs on there if you don't want to start over (and steam has way better prices for ff14 for our region)
In the US it's my experience that you can more often get the expansions or such on sale on non-steam sites like GreenManGaming. If you're in the steam version, you have to buy it all off the steam store itself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd have expected it to be the other way around. GMG and such are mostly Steam resellers, after all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd have expected it to be the other way around. GMG and such are mostly Steam resellers, after all.
Not if the publisher doesn't give them steam keys. Any keys you buy elsewhere are for the not-steam version of FF14. If you're on steam, you can only get stuff directly from the steam store itself.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Orv posted:

Steam is a weirdly technically separate ecosystem for XIV, if you have it on Steam you have to get all of it through Steam unless you wanna start over and make a new SE account for it. (:negative:) They have gotten better about that but I'd still recommend making a new SE account for the purpose of;

The entire base game (A Realm Reborn, 2.0-2.5.5(?)) and all of the first expansion, Heavensward, are now entirely free to play forever. You'll be missing a couple of the later classes, you obviously can't reach max level and you probably (I haven't looked) have some mild account restrictions but it's hundreds of hours of JRPG with very good MMO content on the side. The game is also purpose built to ensure that people who are doing old content will always be able to do it, with some occasional queueing problems for rarer or undone stuff, so even if you never buy the game you can still do all the stuff in the free portion just by queueing up.

I spent ages the other week there trying to go back into FF14 with the copy i bought 6 years ago. I used the 14/30 day trial or whatever i had and managed to make it to the endgame of whatever access i had at the time.

So if i want to play the free stuff or just access the game world i've gotta start again with a brand new account?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kin posted:

I spent ages the other week there trying to go back into FF14 with the copy i bought 6 years ago. I used the 14/30 day trial or whatever i had and managed to make it to the endgame of whatever access i had at the time.

So if i want to play the free stuff or just access the game world i've gotta start again with a brand new account?

Yes. Key thing is the free stuff is a free trial for new accounts, they haven't just made the base game free. If you own the game in any form (like when Twitch gave the base game away for free last year) then you can't play for free, you do get the first expansion for free though, even if you never brought it before the last patch came out.

If you make a new account you can play all of the base game and the first expansion for free (which is all the story content up to the end of level 60) but with some restrictions:

FFXIV free trial restrictions posted:

Free Trial Players are not required to purchase licensed software to use the Free Trial.
One (1) Free Trial account may be registered using a Square Enix account so long as that Square Enix account has not been previously registered with any version of the game.
Free Trial Players cannot make in-game micro transactions during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players can create only eight (8) playable characters, restricted to one (1) playable character per world.
Free Trial account characters have their level capped at level sixty (60).
Free Trial account characters can obtain only a capped amount of in game currency (GIL).
Free Trial Players cannot use the "shout", "yell" or "tell" in-game chat options during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot access the in-game market board during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot trade items with other players during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot use the Mogletter service during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot hire a retainer character during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players can join a Linkshell if invited, but cannot create a new Linkshell during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot create or join a Free Company during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players can join a party if invited or by using the Duty Finder, but cannot assemble a party during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot login to the Lodestone and or any other game forum during the Free Trial.

EDIT: And of course, if you own the base game but not the expansions you still need to pay the subscription.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 26, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

haldolium posted:

why did they not only replace the VO but changend the entire staging of the intro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZljaCZcoNQ&t=780s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_mUquU6mZo&t=193s

weird design choices, let's see where this goes.

From what I've seen so far they've changed the staging / dialogue of pretty much all the cutscenes and dialogue to be more... naturalistic and gritty, I guess? I'm mixed on it myself, the original had this deliberate quality of being like a stereotypical old-timey gangster movie, sorta anachronistic for the time when it was made and naive, while the remake feels like something contemporary, less stiff, more expressive, but also quite different in tone. Some cutscenes suffer from changes to pacing and cinematography, where the original intent has not been transferred to the remake, most often because slow paced scenes with lingering shots have been remade to be more "dynamic", for the worse. Personally I'm also not a fan of the new models for the main cast, mainly Don Salieri and Paulie, Tommy to a lesser extent.

In general it just feels like a different concept than what Mafia was trying to be.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm seeing Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom as 75% off, reducing it to the very tempting $15. Anyone played it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/589360/Ni_no_Kuni_II_Revenant_Kingdom/

I'm not seeing anyone else saying this, so: It feels like ~66% of a game. It feels incomplete in major ways, almost all of them back-loaded - which is the primary reason why I think it got a full pass in most reviews, people simply hadn't hit the point needed to see it was an unfinished/rushed game. You traveling the globe to meet with cities/countries and entreat with their guardian spirits and there's two full MASSIVE continents that are for all intents empty, at most hosting some throwaway side-content or filler story stuff. These two continents feel like they were absolutely slanted for big set-piece cities/nations/spirits but were cut for whatever reasons saw the game released as it was. The game barrels to the ending as soon as the last complete city/spirit is experienced.

Further evidence; remember how Diablo 3 had, even during the main story campaign, these copy-pasted side-caves (and sometimes plot-calves) that were always the same single loop first floor + straightforward 1 magic pack and 1 rare pack second floor? NnK2 is FULL of these, almost every single side cave is a clear tile-based copy-paste in like 3 flavors and it shows they weren't really able to fully flesh out side content like that.

The season pass took a full year to deliver anything at all and right now all content from there is deffo not worth full price. Likely the team had been reduced to a skeleton crew by that point tbh.

Having said all that if the price is reduced to 15 dollardoos and you're not shelling for the season pass I think it can be justifiable. Just remember, it's a fairly grindy game and it feels very unfinished by the end. A real shame, too.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My friend recommended I finally play Firewatch and man, that was a pretty enjoyable game. I especially liked the fact that it only took two playing sessions to get through. Any recommendations on similar story-heavy games that don't take too long to beat?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

My friend recommended I finally play Firewatch and man, that was a pretty enjoyable game. I especially liked the fact that it only took two playing sessions to get through. Any recommendations on similar story-heavy games that don't take too long to beat?

What Remains of Edith Finch is probably at the top of the list besides Firewatch

if you'd like to check out the progenitor of the whole walking sim genre, Dear Esther can also be cleared in an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Edith Finch got a prequel(?)/side-story of sorts recently in The Unfinished Swan, so there's also that for those who that game appealed to.