Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Not trying to start an argument here but I wanted to post a little about some non-canonical stories of Jesus as a child because some of them sound like things that Giorno would have done or has done.

There's a non-canon biblical story about Jesus giving life to clay and turning the clay into 12 sparrows but then some kid comes over yells at him for working on the Sabbath and splashes away his water he was using to make the clay and Jesus is all like "well ok but you're going to wither to death now" and the kid died by withering like a stick. Then later some boy is mean to him and the boy dies after striking him but Jesus kicks him and he returns to life and people ask Joseph and Mary to please keep him inside because every word Jesus speaks becomes real. Then later still some kid gets bitten by a snake so Jesus tells the snake to go bite the kid again but suck out the venom and then he makes the snake explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That sounds rad as gently caress. Do you have a pamphlet?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Young Jesus would have beat the Romans :colbert:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Warbird posted:

That sounds rad as gently caress. Do you have a pamphlet?

Yeah here you go

Also, here's young Jesus making birds

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Not trying to start an argument here but I wanted to post a little about some non-canonical stories of Jesus as a child because some of them sound like things that Giorno would have done or has done.

There's a non-canon biblical story about Jesus giving life to clay and turning the clay into 12 sparrows but then some kid comes over yells at him for working on the Sabbath and splashes away his water he was using to make the clay and Jesus is all like "well ok but you're going to wither to death now" and the kid died by withering like a stick. Then later some boy is mean to him and the boy dies after striking him but Jesus kicks him and he returns to life and people ask Joseph and Mary to please keep him inside because every word Jesus speaks becomes real. Then later still some kid gets bitten by a snake so Jesus tells the snake to go bite the kid again but suck out the venom and then he makes the snake explode.

Oh yeah, that book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infancy_Gospel_of_Thomas

I was familiar with it, but I hadn't known until looking it up that some of the stories from it also appear in the Qur'an.

I guess you can't rule out Araki being familiar with it, especially in light of some things in Part 7, but it's probably coincidental.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Araki probably knows the bare-bones of the four actual Gospels and might have some vague awareness of Mormonism, I doubt he knows any apocrypha.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Didn't Araki draw Dio reading the qur'an

e: looked it up and that was an ova thing, the book wasn't well defined and just had scribbles in the manga

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 23, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Araki probably knows the bare-bones of the four actual Gospels and might have some vague awareness of Mormonism, I doubt he knows any apocrypha.

Given the random tangents he goes off on, I feel like it wouldn't be out of place for him to have read about apocrypha either, though I just wanted to share that stuff I found because I can totally imagine those stories being tweeted by vento blazed lol

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
The podcast Sunday School Dropouts has episodes about apocrypha like the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, would recommend it as a humorous but not obnoxiously atheist podcast about the bible and bible stories

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Silver Chariot can shed its own armor to become faster and more powerful

Silver Chariot Requiem causes souls to swap bodies so stands shed their original users to become faster and more powerful while Requiem becomes unhinged from reality so that it is just a shadow being cast from a sphere located behind your own head, each instance existing at the same time.

The dimensional mutants for everyone else I can't theorycraft away because they'd might as well be the equivalent of Silver Chariot firing off its blade lol

Theorycrafting can be fun sometimes

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the arrow impaled kira, not his stand

also silver chariot requiem pretty much makes no sense compared to 'thing that stabs people' in terms of what it does

I'm only going by the anime, but Kira was explaining to Jotaro that the reason why he has his newfound power is because he knew in great detail how Star Platinum could stop him.

My question is, is the arrow and the nature of stands being a manifestation physical life force really governed by their true desire like some sort of weird wish when they get the stand?

by the way i barely made it to part 5, but i have a rough idea of what happens considering i played eyes of heaven

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Great question. The answer is Stands are psychic robot muscle ghosts that you get from Jesus?

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 26, 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm only going by the anime, but Kira was explaining to Jotaro that the reason why he has his newfound power is because he knew in great detail how Star Platinum could stop him.

My question is, is the arrow and the nature of stands being a manifestation physical life force really governed by their true desire like some sort of weird wish when they get the stand?

by the way i barely made it to part 5, but i have a rough idea of what happens considering i played eyes of heaven

that sounds right, especially considering the duwang gang found yuya after realizing that highway star absorbing nutrients from its targets probably meant the stand user was laid up in the hospital

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Echoes ACT 1 has the power to put sound effects on people or objects. If placed on an object, the object will keep playing that sound; if placed on a person, that person will keep hearing the sound in their head.
Echoes ACT 2 has the power to alter reality by placing sound effects on things, thus making the things take on the qualities of the sound effect; ie, placing the sound effect for "burning" on something will make it catch on fire.
Echoes ACT 3 has the power to make things really heavy to impede their movement because Koichi really, really, REALLY wanted to stop Sheer Heart Attack from getting close enough to blow up Jotaro or himself.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The most insane part of that is still that Koichi was hosed specifically because Echoes had already decided to evolve again out of nowhere when Koichi was handling the situation pretty okay since, you know, Echoes Act 2 and all. At least that’s what I remember.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Echoes Act 3 has the ability to rhyme things, but all Koichi does with it is use "three = freeze" to make things really heavy and stop them from moving. Biggest waste of a stand ability ever, especially considering how varied Acts 1 and 2's abilities are and how cleverly Koichi uses them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

Echoes Act 3 has the ability to rhyme things, but all Koichi does with it is use "three = freeze" to make things really heavy and stop them from moving. Biggest waste of a stand ability ever, especially considering how varied Acts 1 and 2's abilities are and how cleverly Koichi uses them.

Wait, THATS how it works? Like, can’t you theoretically just use it to make The World: Redux by having it do something like Clock = Stop then?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Last Celebration posted:

Wait, THATS how it works? Like, can’t you theoretically just use it to make The World: Redux by having it do something like Clock = Stop then?

I guess I'm assuming (since Act 3 literally does nothing else), but Act 3 tells Koichi that it stopped Sheer Heart Attack by rhyming "Three" with "Freeze," which implies that its powers are related to rhyming and not just "has the power to stop things." It would also be a natural evolution of Echoes' previous sound effect related abilities as opposed to "make things heavy." But Koichi never uses Act 3 for anything else so I guess we'll never know.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Counterpoint: Let’s kill da how and/or saying “Bitch” funny.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

act 3’s power is related to sound; it has to swear to do anything

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Last Celebration posted:

The most insane part of that is still that Koichi was hosed specifically because Echoes had already decided to evolve again out of nowhere when Koichi was handling the situation pretty okay since, you know, Echoes Act 2 and all. At least that’s what I remember.

Sheer Hear Attack blew up Act 2's tail, which left it unable to do anything after SHA detonated on the malfunctioning oven.

Also, the only time Koichi uses Act 2 terribly well is against Yukako. Every other time, he never does nearly as much with it as he could. :negative:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Even if we just assume Act Three can only do things that rhyme with Three, we could have so many effects. Just having it do the Act Three Freeze really is kind of a disappointment. But I'm pretty sure Koichi'd also be at Requiem levels of overpoweredness, so I can see why Araki didn't go too nuts with it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Act three: Bees!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

echoes just sucks and araki didn't know what all to do with it but he couldn't reliably just make koichi disappear for half the part like he did with characters like avdol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Araki didn't have the stones to just kill koichi when he fought kira, basically. Could've done that and then had josuke meet giorno

I also think araki should've left Joseph dead in part 3. Would've been more impactful, plus Joseph doesn't really do much in part 4. The biggest thing he does is play a part in josuke coming to terms with his joestar legacy and the issues inherited because of it, which i argue could be done just as well if not better without Joseph's presence. We'd lose out on Shizuka/Achtung Baby antics but I'm fine with that tbh

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 26, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, but then we also miss out on that final gag with Crazy Diamond and his wallet

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Legitimately a good point. We also miss out on Joseph going "oh drat i just got brought back to life, time to play a sick prank on my grandson"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Johnny Joestar posted:

echoes just sucks and araki didn't know what all to do with it but he couldn't reliably just make koichi disappear for half the part like he did with characters like avdol

I think that's a little unfair. Echoes, conceptually, is one of my favorite stands, and I love his Act 2 especially. I also like the idea of Acts in general. Shonen is all about taking mindsets and personalities and exploring them through the medium of cool fight scenes, and the idea of demonstrating character growth through a literal evolution is just a continuation of that motif. When done well, of course.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my dislike of echoes mainly comes from having knowledge of the entire series and knowing that it's wasted potential that could have been handled much better. it's not some indictment of araki or anything, just another instance of it being obvious that he didn't think something through as well as he could have back then on the weekly schedule he was on.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Echoes deserved better than to be attached to some no-dignity thief like Koichi.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That is the problem, Echoes is a Gold Experience tier Swiss Army Stand that can do pretty much anything with enough imagination and its given to the shy designated support guy, so of course it has to be mishandled and eventually needed to be nerfed because otherwise Koichi would end up overshadowing Josuke and Jotaro

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 26, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my genuine opinion is that he could have just had act 3 do weird poo poo with air pressure or make like sonic booms or something and it could have filled more or less the same narrative role while also being a direct evolution of the concept and something you'd expect out of a close-range 'power' stand. once you let some poo poo like 'oh it can rhyme words to change the laws of reality or something' out of the bag it's kind of hard to avoid people thinking 'why does it only make things heavy'

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

most of the stands in part 4 suffer from being creative and interesting, and araki realizing that and not being able to use them because he hosed up and made crazy diamond a kind of boring stand in comparison. okuyasu is basically a lobotomite to justify why he doesnt just use the hand to teleport around, let alone all the other interesting things he could do with it that never even get touched on. likely because araki himself couldnt think of them. i think its part of why he swung so hard the other way with gold experience in part 5, and by part 6 he kind of learned his lesson and made all the stands pretty similar in power imo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

my genuine opinion is that he could have just had act 3 do weird poo poo with air pressure or make like sonic booms or something and it could have filled more or less the same narrative role while also being a direct evolution of the concept and something you'd expect out of a close-range 'power' stand. once you let some poo poo like 'oh it can rhyme words to change the laws of reality or something' out of the bag it's kind of hard to avoid people thinking 'why does it only make things heavy'

Echoes Act Three: 『UNDER PRESSURE』

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's a very powerful but childlike Stand which can make people freeze, that's why Koichi calls it Echoes Act Three: 『ICE ICE BABY』.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Echoes act 3: THREE DEEZ!

*target grows an extra nut*

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Koichi: "Echoes ACT 3: THREE TREES!"

Giorno: "Now wait just a goddamn minute..."

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

echoes act 3: L.I.G.M.A.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

echoes act 3: L.I.G.M.A.

Lmaoing irl imagining a stand that activates when you get the target to say "what's ligma/bofa/etc?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lmaoing irl imagining a stand that activates when you get the target to say "what's ligma/bofa/etc?"