Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Philly Shell has also been nicknamed the Philly Coffin for people who get too defensive with it, and end up just getting wailed on from not attacking.

Onmi posted:

It's incredibly fascinating for the character, He wants someone at his level to challenge him, but quite frankly there's no one at his level. If he was seeking a greater challenge he'd have to move up a weight class, but it's very likely that he's at a healthy, natural weight where he is, so pushing up a weight class would essentially be 'boxing stupid'
Ricardo is also pretty old for a boxer at this point. Probably mid to late 30s, changing his weight class could probably affect him quite a bit.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So Morikawa's idea to beat Mayweather is "punch moar"

Honestly Yes.

But it's not easy to get a boxer to do it. Because you will take hits And it still might not work and catch the hard L, but it's literally your only chance.

You aren't going to out technical Mayweather, he is one of the greatest technical points fighters of all times. People who fell into that trap always got torn apart.

The people who did the best against him were ones who just said gently caress it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The theoretical Had-A-Reliable-Coach-His-Whole-Career Tyson could have done it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Philly Shell has also been nicknamed the Philly Coffin for people who get too defensive with it, and end up just getting wailed on from not attacking.

Ricardo is also pretty old for a boxer at this point. Probably mid to late 30s, changing his weight class could probably affect him quite a bit.
He's 33 (I think the match is taking place in January 2000?).

I'll be completely honest: Beyond Sendo's fight (which was really good), my actual favorite thing wrt this arc has been how surprisingly well Morikawa has been able to portray the early 00's Cuauthemoc borough (back when it was still a borough, I mean) in the glimpses we've gotten of it throughout Sendo's team (plus Ippo) stay in Ciudad de México. It's a place and time I hold near and dear to my heart due to how much of my life changed thanks to the local music scene facilitated by a certain magical place which has existed for almost a quarter of a century now, which is a cool 10 minute walk from where the action is taking place now in comic time.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

MonsterEnvy posted:

im like half sure that the ages in the story are becoming more malleable as time goes on, because otherwise they're not going to make much sense soon. everyone would be older than the story wants them to be for the way that it's told, so i think mori's just gonna be pretty loose with how old the characters actually are from here on out

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What year is it in HnI?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
January 2000.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

im like half sure that the ages in the story are becoming more malleable as time goes on, because otherwise they're not going to make much sense soon. everyone would be older than the story wants them to be for the way that it's told, so i think mori's just gonna be pretty loose with how old the characters actually are from here on out

:airquote: from here on out. Ippo would have had to have been doing like one title defense a month to still be as young as he's portrayed. There is a chronology on one of the fan wikis, says his pro debut against Oda was January 3, 1991, even in-manga dude should be pushing 30.

Some of the dates are obviously estimates, but according to the wiki from April 7 '94 to October 25 '97 Ippo defended his title 11 times. So I guess once every 4 months or so, which is more reasonable but still seems like a lot to maintain for 3.5 years straight.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

:airquote: from here on out. Ippo would have had to have been doing like one title defense a month to still be as young as he's portrayed. There is a chronology on one of the fan wikis, says his pro debut against Oda was January 3, 1991, even in-manga dude should be pushing 30.

Some of the dates are obviously estimates, but according to the wiki from April 7 '94 to October 25 '97 Ippo defended his title 11 times. So I guess once every 4 months or so, which is more reasonable but still seems like a lot to maintain for 3.5 years straight.

i did a huge effort post a number of years back which pegged all of their ages and it was remarkably consistent from mori's writing style (he has the characters he puts on the same "tier" hit the milestones generally around the same ages, like ippo winning the JBC and miyata winning the OPBF around the same age, etc.) but i think the retirement arc throws more or less everyhitng outta wack in terms of timing

the dynamic the story wants with aoki/kimura and itagaki in relation to ippo makes it awkward, too. itagaki is meant to be the newcomer fora long time but he legitimately has significantly more years of boxing experience than ippo, esp cuz hes just really not much younger than him at all, and aoki and kimura really aren't that much older than ippo, either.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

The theoretical Had-A-Reliable-Coach-His-Whole-Career Tyson could have done it.

I don't know much about history boxing, but does this mean Tyson was that scary with a coach that wasn't all that?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Artelier posted:

I don't know much about history boxing, but does this mean Tyson was that scary with a coach that wasn't all that?

Tyson's coach was Cus D’ Amato, the guy who taught him Peekaboo boxing and how to be an effective counter-puncher. But, much like many boxers of his time, Tyson got sucked into the allure of Don Kings money, and Don King got Tyson less technically gifted trainers and more "Ah just throw the punches champ" trainers.

In short, Cus is what Kamogawa should be, while Tyson wound up with coaches that Kamogawa IS.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also Tyson had a rough childhood and amato was a guiding light in that regard while king could not give less of a gently caress

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Also Cus died in 1985, early in Tyson’s pro career

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

cus also gave a poo poo about tyson who very clearly was hosed up in the head well before getting hit in the head professionally and him dying right at the onset of superstardom was a very awful thing for him lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Late to the news but man I am :stoked: about Discotek landing the blu-ray release, with the OVA and movie too, hell yeah, fingers crossed for releases of the other two seasons however remote their chances might be

I was always amazed they dubbed the entire first series - hell, Manga Entertainment wasn't that confident with god drat Fist of the North Star and that probably had much greater potential to succeed, they only did what 36 eps? (And stopped right when everything starts getting good as hell too) The dub is not particularly good but not terrible, it's just bland. Takamura's english voice just sounds like a dork and not in a good way, most of the other characters are just completely flat with no big variation in tone or inflection, the actors are just reading their lines with the mildest of emotions at times, it's really unusual. Anytime ippo's voice would drop to an introspective whisper or soft voice in the original the english actor is just TALKING LIKE THIS the entire time

Coach kamogawa was fine, think it might have been Richard Epcar??? Miyata's voice though, holy hell, is so terrible :lol:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1314#page=1

New chapter has been out. Well, I guess that's a very Morikawa way to go about things.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
what is the ratio of chapters with characters going "what does it mean.... to be strong?!?" to chapters without

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
How often does literally punching someone's block so repeatedly, and hard, that their arm gets hosed up and unable to maintain the block anymore?

I don't doubt that happens, but like... you don't hear about it much.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

MonsterEnvy posted:

Prescient.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OnimaruXLR posted:

How often does literally punching someone's block so repeatedly, and hard, that their arm gets hosed up and unable to maintain the block anymore?

I don't doubt that happens, but like... you don't hear about it much.

It's normally how people that use the Philly Shell lose. But it normally takes much longer then round.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Page 9 in this chapter is really beautiful to me
http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1314#page=9

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's funny that Martinez is even more boring to me now than he was before

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm quite enamored of Martinez. He's too good and now it's not fun for anyone when he plays with his friends.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I like Martinez, he's a good punchboy.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

It's funny that Martinez is even more boring to me now than he was before

I'm legitimately astonished to read this. Do you mind elaborating?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think for me, the issue is just this series is long as hell. We have spent forever talking about how great he is. Yeah, I understand that we're digging a little deeper this time, and seeing things from his perspective. But the fight comes and goes and nothing has changed. He is still invincible. He can fight poorly (by his standards) and still effortlessly win.

He is not the first impossibly powerful competitor in a sports series, but God I wish there were some personality.....somewhere. His personality for over a decade has been "I'm so good I'm bored" and this fight showed us "Seriously I'm REALLY bored" which feels like a waste.

Big picture, I know they're clearly setting up more Sendo/Ippo/Martinez foreshadowing. But I was hoping to see something more out of Martinez here. I never doubted he'd win, but goodness what a wet fart of a fight. I appreciate the accuracy of the shell collapsing since as mentioned previously that's typically what happens to non-Mayweather boxers. But I would very much like to be more invested in this perfect antagonist.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I think for me, the issue is just this series is long as hell. We have spent forever talking about how great he is. Yeah, I understand that we're digging a little deeper this time, and seeing things from his perspective. But the fight comes and goes and nothing has changed. He is still invincible. He can fight poorly (by his standards) and still effortlessly win.

He is not the first impossibly powerful competitor in a sports series, but God I wish there were some personality.....somewhere. His personality for over a decade has been "I'm so good I'm bored" and this fight showed us "Seriously I'm REALLY bored" which feels like a waste.

Big picture, I know they're clearly setting up more Sendo/Ippo/Martinez foreshadowing. But I was hoping to see something more out of Martinez here. I never doubted he'd win, but goodness what a wet fart of a fight. I appreciate the accuracy of the shell collapsing since as mentioned previously that's typically what happens to non-Mayweather boxers. But I would very much like to be more invested in this perfect antagonist.

I see, okay. I disagree on one thing though, I really don't agree that his personality thus far has been "I'm so good I'm bored". I'd contend we have had genuinely no idea what his personality is at all until this fight (I have, for a long time, been trying to figure out how he compares and contrasts to Jose Mendoza who is the clear inspiration for him).

So for me, the introduction of the boredom aspect of his character is actually very novel. His respect for the sport keeps him from loving around too much, but in a way, he's very, very much a foil to Takamura from what we know so far, here's some examples:

1. From what we can tell, Bill and Ricardo have a good, but very professional, relationship, while Takamura have a good, but very personal, relationship
2. Takamura explicitly WILL gently caress around against weaker opponents, whereas Ricardo did just explicitly throw away the idea upon considering it for an instant
3. This is more conjecture, but as best we know, Ricardo might not have too many gymmates or allies. The closest we know of is Nargo, who was able to just last with him for some time, and it doesn't really seem as if they are "friends". This is the most important one, and the one I'm interested in seeing where it goes the most - Takamura flat out told Ippo the top isn't "lonely", it's "extraordinary", but when we find Ricardo.... well, he really does find it lonely.

The two of them are the two superhumans of the series, and they're similar in many many ways, but in just a few short chapters, we can see some major divergences (also the very obvious presentation and way they carry themselves differences).

If I had to guess, Mori is a weak enough writer that he will probably continue to steal from AnJ for Ricardo and make him the consummate professional, just like Jose Mendoza, but probably eliminate some of the more interesting things about Mendoza, like his legitimate, deep seated fear of being damaged, which was a really neat character trait for the "final boss" of a series to have. That said, I still find Ricardo really interesting now, and I'm excited to see where this all goes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Here's hoping we don't have to wait another decade to learn more about him.:cheers:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Here's hoping we don't have to wait another decade to learn more about him.:cheers:

a lot about HNI would be significant'y better if there wasn't an entire manga's worth of ridiculous nonsense in the middle of it which needlessly elongated the whole thing

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, the warm-up match (or exhibition match? the proper term eludes me) he had with Sendo where the Naniwa homeboy actually scored a down (even if by crazy coincidence or something) probably left him hoping something like this might happen on his legit fight.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1315 is out

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1316

Kimura manages to floor Takamura and the rest of the crew. everyone just casually wearing the masks is great.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Morikawa can be really good at writing humor and this chapters is another reminder of that.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think maybe all the masks are references? Except Kimura's which is a reference... to his head.

Takamura's is Sanraku from Shangri La Frontier
Aoki's is brand X Ramenman
I think Itagaki's is brand X Kikaider
Kumi's is the wee snowman looking thing from Rave Master
There are many panda characters out there, but for some reason Yagi's reminds me of the one from Jujutsu Kaisen?

maybe I'm reaching

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

More importantly is the last scene of the chapter. Genuine character progress for Ippo.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ippo has unearthed a secret long forgotten in boxing: not getting hit

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Namnesor posted:

Ippo has unearthed a secret long forgotten in boxing: not getting hit

How on earth did he learn that from the Sendo vs Gonzalez fight

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestonJew posted:

How on earth did he learn that from the Sendo vs Gonzalez fight
Maybe in the back of Ippo's mind, he was going:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmsF3xbqnR8

... or something like that.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1317 is out.

Looks like Kimura has developed quite the maneuver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
1318 is out and it looks like Takamura is finally going to heave his Super Middleweight title match. Not sure I like the setup for his opponent; the whole thing reeks of "Having to overcome the handicap of an opponent with good luck" which might be good in a superhero comic, but seems kind of weird in a boxing manga. Also nice to see the fact that it's weird that Takamura has never fought outside of Japan addressed.