Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Once you see an OLED, you will never want to spend money on an LCD again, even if that means going without a TV for a bit. They're that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reL
May 20, 2007
Alrighty, well, that settles that. I guess the real answer here is that I need to go see this in person before I bother hemming and hawing over options. I do intend on using this with a PC (a little bit) and with games (though streamed from my PC so, again, not like a full-time PC monitor) so I imagine I'll be fine. The TV will be sandwiched between two south-facing windows which sucks, but overall due to across-the-way buildings we don't get tons of sunlight.

Burn-in doesn't really scare me but the more I read the more I just see casual "oh just some color degradation" or "what's this weird splotch?!" or "well don't worry about LED degradation as it's only a problem if you blast the brightness anyway" which seems to handwave away a bunch of potential pain points going forward. I've got money and I could afford (more like rationalize) a TV at whatever price the 65" CX is, but for that price the aforementioned oddities just gives me a lot of pause.

Though, that's as someone who hasn't seen an OLED in person yet. I guess that might all change if it's as incredible as everyone says. Is there a recommend place to go shopping for something like this, in terms of getting a feel for what a TV might look like in real-world conditions? Every time I've been at best buy the magnolia section looks like it's appealing directly to dads building dadcaves and not "guy who has cash to buy a nice thing but still lives in a meh apartment with sub-optimal cinema conditions". I guess this is a stupid question because there's like a handful of big box stores you'd get something like this from, and they all have the same sort of TV-wall setup going on, so, scratch that I guess, I'll just go see 'em.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Once you see an OLED, you will never want to spend money on an LCD again, even if that means going without a TV for a bit. They're that good.

I'm not getting a second job to buy a PS3. :colbert:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Random question -- is there any issue with keeping a non-OLED at full backlight brightness? I'm in a very well-lit room, so it's just what looks best.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Other than power consumption and heat I wouldn't think so. The panel itself shouldn't be affected by it at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Backlight is still subject to aging and running at max brightness will cause it to start dimming earlier.

Whether or not its on a short enough timeline to be bothersome is up for debate.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Listerine posted:

I ordered one from Costco online on August 17th. The estimated delivery was August 23rd.

Any update on this out of curiosity? Just signed up for my Costco membership today and I'm getting hyped, probably won't order for another week or two though

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

doctorthefonz posted:

Any update on this out of curiosity? Just signed up for my Costco membership today and I'm getting hyped, probably won't order for another week or two though

I got a text two days ago that I could now schedule my delivery, so 1 day later than I was supposed to be contacted, but whatever. I set up delivery for this coming Monday. The supervisor that's been dealing with my case at Costco verified that Ceva will indeed set up the TV (and I think may carry it into my house). So, everything seems to be moving forward, I'll post again next week with the resolution.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

huh, just found out my TV's a decade old. A TC-P50GT25, for the curious. drat, didn't think plasmas were that old :corsair: Anyway...

Mister Facetious posted:

Red flags:
- Not qled (less colour accurate, less colors overall)
- Not as bright as qled models, so HDR content suffers
- Doesn't have HDMI 2.1 (not a big deal since the panel is 60Hz, but you lose variable refresh rate sync)
- No local dimming for a wider contrast ratio or making highlights pop
- Bad color banding (gradient performance), according to rtings.com (I could actually see it on my monitor with their sample; usually I can't tell)
- Mediocre response time
- Vignetting in the corners and mediocre grey uniformity (may be an issue with sports/large patches of uniform color)

For the same list price on Best Buy ($699), you can get a Hisense H8G, which is better in every one of those except having HDMI 2.1.

Bright side: It has input lag rivaling a PC monitor at sub-10ms. 25ms with motion interpolation, which would make BotW look 60 fps :haw:.

At 55" I can get a H8G for $499 or a H9G for $649. Far as I can tell it's got better picture-quality, and actually-120hz refresh - hemming and hawing on if that's worth $150.

Maybe if I could play PC games on it at 120hz, that'd be cool, but I don't really watch TV or e.g. Netflix much. Don't even know what kind of 120hz content is out there :shrug:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I have the H9g. No complaints so far, other than it being overpriced in Canada.

It'll support 1080p@120 if your card has an HDMI 2.0 or higher spec. Not sure if 1440p gets that high though, and it doesn't have VRR.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My B9 handles 1440@144Hz well, I think, but it won’t even attempt 4k at higher than 60 and I guess I need a new cord because I wanna post on the big screen baby. Is there an HDMI cord that can handle 4k@144Hz or do I need a DP or something?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
One of life's little ironies is that after finally grabbing my CX I immediately went to live for a month and a bit in a different house (that happens to have a C9) so I haven't actually used my new TV yet but I've already got to marvel at OLED stuff.

The real thing that got me wasn't even games in HDR (although I had that on my last TV, but a C9 can handly destroy a KS8/7000 on that count) but just playing ordinary SDR games with hand-drawn art on Switch, in particular Hollow Knight, Celeste and Hades. Hollow Knight is absolutely magical on that display. I cannot help but smile any time any game does any frame that's just some small thing on a completely black background, it just looks so great. The only issue I've had is seeing ABL kick in and out repeatedly sometimes in particularly bright scenes but I think that can be configured.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The cool thing about OLED is that it never stops being amazing. I remember when I first got a 32" monitor, at first it was like, wow! this thing is huge! and that wears off after a bit. But OLED stuns me when I watch a film on it every. single. time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

OLED's still about a $1k premium, right? Too rich for my needs. Think I'll be happy with the H9G though, gonna order it in a few minutes :toot:

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I ordered an H8G and am excited at the prospect of upgrading from my current hand-me-down, decade-old, off-brand LCD. I've heard that quality on Hisenses can be a bit hit-or-miss quality-wise so is there a write-up for assessing things like dead/stuck pixels, banding, DSE, etc.?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Akbar posted:

I ordered an H8G and am excited at the prospect of upgrading from my current hand-me-down, decade-old, off-brand LCD. I've heard that quality on Hisenses can be a bit hit-or-miss quality-wise so is there a write-up for assessing things like dead/stuck pixels, banding, DSE, etc.?

"Turn it on and see what you see."

That's really it. Banding isn't really a panel QC issue (at least not what I'm thinking). Dead pixels aren't too much of a thing. You're really lookin' for the DSE. Just pop it over to YouTube and search for a gray slide video and see what it looks like.

Keep in mind that you only really ever see the most egregious of DSE in action. Even something that looks bad on the gray screen will almost never ever show up in real world content.

I've had two TVs with noticeable DSE. One was the TCL's jailbars. Haven't seen these on a Hisense before. Two is some REALLY bad clouding on a 5 series 2019 TCL. You can only see this during like really really dark (nearly all black) scenes though).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'll echo how much of a PITA it is to get a TV delivered. I bought a TV from Greentoe earlier this year. Beach Camera has some weird "free" shipping arrangement where they can't (?) schedule a delivery with Fedex, and wouldn't let me pay extra to set a delivery time, so I got the pleasure of Fedex delivering my TV at 1pm every day, then threatening to ship it back. I ended up renting a truck from Home Depot and picking it up from the Fedex depot myself.

:suicide:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I waited two months to get my TV from costco. TV shipping is a loving nightmare, it's so bad that Best Buy ends up being a sensible choice.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

snip

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 19, 2020

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Oh, delivery chat. I bought a TV from Amazon a couple weeks ago, but delivering it from their local facility to my apartment was delayed during Smoke Week, which was understandable. After the air got good again, the delivery window has come, gone, and been rescheduled by clueless customer support agents (and repeated three or four times), and I just feel like they're passive-aggressively trying to make me cancel my order.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

jokes posted:

I waited two months to get my TV from costco. TV shipping is a loving nightmare, it's so bad that Best Buy ends up being a sensible choice.

Mine will be six weeks if it arrives on Monday. What I learned though is that the supervisors at Costco have much better access to the subcontractors that do the final mile of the delivery, so if you order from them and the estimated delivery date comes and goes, get on customer service and ask for their supervisor. I had dead silence from the shipping company, couldn't get through on the phone or through their web contact portal, and the supervisor traded emails three times in the span of 5 minutes with the company while I was on the line.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So this might be an option for some people:

https://pickupnow.com/

I used them a little while back to have a rather large piece of art delivered. It's exactly as promised, someone shows up at the pick up place with a pickup truck, truck comes with a bunch of tie downs and protective blankets, they load the poo poo in their pickup truck, drive it to your house and unload it. They were incredibly gentle with my artwork.

Given the way I have had some home deliveries treated it might be an option for safely getting a larger TV delivered.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is this like half price?

https://www.tvtronix.com/LG-C9PUB-7...g0aAgpXEALw_wcB

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Too good to be true. Stay away.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jokes posted:

Costco is the shipping nightmare. It has nothing to do with TV's. They use these lovely contractors with the worst customer service imaginable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Something I noticed while doing a monthly 2am depressed lounging in front of the TV: was watching a video with a really dark background and when the character moved around the screen it had this cool corresponding directional lighting in my room and I have no idea if anyone gets what I mean but it was cool to me.

All those discount places upsell you on "HD 24 bit displays" so if you want you can take a chance and just ask "ok how much to get it shipped my man".

The Sony A8H seems to be getting a lot of good reviews?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So we managed to pick up a Samsung 6-series 65" way back in Christmas '16 and we've been pretty happy with it for 4 years and 5 moves

We finally bought a house with a big wall, I'm curious, is 85" too big? I don't see many for sale bigger than that. 65" is adequate but we sit a little over 13' eyeball to screen from the TV which is the lower limit for 4k according to "the chart"

Also is QLED that much better than regular lcd or whatever? And what's the real world lifespan of an OLED before it's too dim for regular use

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

So we managed to pick up a Samsung 6-series 65" way back in Christmas '16 and we've been pretty happy with it for 4 years and 5 moves

We finally bought a house with a big wall, I'm curious, is 85" too big? I don't see many for sale bigger than that. 65" is adequate but we sit a little over 13' eyeball to screen from the TV which is the lower limit for 4k according to "the chart"

Also is QLED that much better than regular lcd or whatever? And what's the real world lifespan of an OLED before it's too dim for regular use

At that size I'd maybe consider a projector and go even bigger if the lighting's good

Otherwise, Rtings has some recommendations up to 85" https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/80-82-85-inch

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unfortunately it's in a condo next to a window with lots of natural light, so a projector isn't really an option

That article is exactly what I was looking for, thanks, that first option looks ace

At some point we're going to build a country house and put in a projector system in a dedicated room over the garage, probably

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Do you guys with LGs use dynamic tone mapping for HDR content? Rtings suggests turning it off but most other chat I've read suggests it's great technology and better on.

In Game mode I like the way HGIG looks but in Cinema mode, which I use for movies, DTM does seem to add vibrancy.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Looks like Costco is going to have the Sony X900H next week for under $1,000 and a 5 year warranty. Is this a good pickup?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What size?

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

65 inch

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

text me

OK but seriously, I hear that the Sony's aren't quite up to par with the LG, but if it's $1000 cheaper, that's a hard deal to pass up.

On a related note I really wish Greentoe would stock the CX.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The high-end Sonys are probably the best LEDs you can buy, with only OLEDs being better. Sony also has OLEDs (not sure if more than 1 model), but $$$$.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The cool thing about OLED is that it never stops being amazing. I remember when I first got a 32" monitor, at first it was like, wow! this thing is huge! and that wears off after a bit. But OLED stuns me when I watch a film on it every. single. time.

Yeah nothing really compares in my personal experience. I actually just recently upgraded to the 2020 BX model after owning the the C7 for a few years (sold the C7 to family for a generous discount). I now run my PC on it because of G-Sync and it's incredible. I though Red Dead Redemption 2 was impressive on the TV with a PS4 Pro but on PC it's next level stuff.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm not really sure where to ask this, so I figured I'd ask it here.

I just moved into a home that apparently has built in surround sound speakers into the walls. There are four speakers, two in the front, and two in the back forming a square. None of htem are subwoofers, and none are a "center channel". I have never dealt wtih surround sound or any of this stuff before, but there are a bunch of wires coming out the walls for teh speakers, basically a pair of red and black wires for each speaker. I'd assume I need a stereo receiver to power these.

But I am very confused by all of this. It seems like I just have a 4 speaker surround system, and I would need to get a subwoofer (ok thats fine). But what reciever do I need? My TV is a Vizio M60-C3, which I believe has analog audio out and spdif audio out. Trying to find a receiver that works with this configuration seems drat near impossible, or I am just very confused.

Any help greatly appreciated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pretty much any receiver on the market today would work with that sort of setup.

You would hook up each speaker Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left. Then you could add a center channel speaker if you wanted (highly recommended but not required) and a subwoofer. Whatever channels you don't have are ones that are excluded in the receiver setup and it will just mix the output to the channels you do have. So, if you don't have a center, it will just output the center channel to the two front channels.

If you could determine the brand of speaker that is installed, that can help you pick a center channel as it will be better "matched" to the tone of the existing speakers. Not strictly necessary, but it's more optimal.

Your Vizio will have one HDMI input that's labeled "ARC" That stands for Audio Return Channel. That would be the preferred method of hooking the TV to the receiver, but you could also use the SPDIF connection.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Your TV specs seem to list Audio Return Channel (ARC), so if you just want something To Work OK you can get a 5.1 or 5.2 receiver like this quickie one I just goog'd. Connect the black and red leads to the corresponding speaker channel listed on the receiver, hook the center channel in the same way,, then a RCA style cable leads to the subwoofer.

As for hooking it up to the TV, find the ARC HDMI port on the TV (usually like #2), plug it into the ARC port on the receiver, and you should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

77" CX $4,000 and $300 gift card added at checkout.