Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
im permabanned poster fremenstomper58. i first started watching the Dune redub when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "prescience" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "muad dee buh" and "the dream unfolds" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of Dune redub humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" the Dune redub to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
As a student of galactic history, I didn't really understand the jihad until someone photoshopped that pony next to the God-Emperor's worm cart

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ingmar terdman posted:

HI THUFIR HAWAT HERE

GET ON THE WORM

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

im permabanned poster fremenstomper58.

love seeing those opening words turn up, I always know I'll laugh at whatever comes after every single time :allears:

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Literally centuries of space nuns looking for it

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Colonel Cancer posted:

Literally centuries of space nuns looking for it

One may only find The Little Man in the Boat by following The Golden Path...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Stryder posted:

One may only find The Little Man in the Boat by following The Golden Path...

:hmmyes:

e: i wish i had talent to make that with piters hair

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I forgot they made the worms look stupid. What is that dinosaur poo poo.

The miniseries worms didn't look like that. Unless they're somehow redoing creature design for the remastered version then that's just bad poster art.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

WEIRD HATS ARE BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

No dune without silly hats :colbert: Sardaukars MUST wear floppy berets, the true mark of the superior soldier of the empire.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

im permabanned poster fremenstomper58. i first started watching the Dune redub when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "prescience" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "muad dee buh" and "the dream unfolds" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of Dune redub humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" the Dune redub to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

Covers, you say? Here's the first one I read:

It's the Danish version, where they transliterated the title of the book.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im really glad people have taken the dune redub into their hearts because i think ive posted it everywhere i possibly could ever since i first saw it like 12 years ago and people almost always ignore it

i should not have drank that water... baron... i should have listened... to paul

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im really glad people have taken the dune redub into their hearts because i think ive posted it everywhere i possibly could ever since i first saw it like 12 years ago and people almost always ignore it

i should not have drank that water... baron... i should have listened... to paul

I love that the only voice they don't completely alter is Larry's. It's just too perfect, in both versions.
Mua'deeeebuhhhh
Shai Huluddddhhhhh

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the other sequentialfilms redubs are pretty good, the predator one has some amazing lines but kind of falls off in comedy towards the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl4J2Gezk4s

edit here's the others i know of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2tdmdMamEY - the thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnZmyPVryKw - top gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZe7P4daQwA - alien

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 25, 2020

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
This thread made me start reading the first book again. It's crazy the amount of politicking, it feels like it was written by a campaign manager.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

make his rear end turn WHITE

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

My parents are not Dune fans, science fiction fans, video game players, or computer savvy, but somehow we had the Virgin/Cryo adventure game when I was a kid. I played it without knowing anything about the series. Never finished because you had to gather all the important characters before the final battle and this one woman refused to travel with me. :mad:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

busalover posted:

This thread made me start reading the first book again. It's crazy the amount of politicking, it feels like it was written by a campaign manager.

Close, he was a campaign speech writer

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tree Bucket posted:

I love that the only voice they don't completely alter is Larry's. It's just too perfect, in both versions.
Mua'deeeebuhhhh
Shai Huluddddhhhhh

*bares upper teeth* GAWWD

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Bloop posted:

I mean it's an entirely alien biology but yeah it looks like a weird Jurassic Park T-Rex/ penis photoshop or something

yeah i mean worm is a descriptive thing too not just a technical tree of life thing

----------

anyway unrelated to dune the paranormal forum is up so i encourage you to achieve prescience through psychotronic techniques https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941753
probably it's work that would be destroyed in the jihad but i don't exactly have any spice atm.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah i mean worm is a descriptive thing too not just a technical tree of life thing

----------

anyway unrelated to dune the paranormal forum is up so i encourage you to achieve prescience through psychotronic techniques https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941753
probably it's work that would be destroyed in the jihad but i don't exactly have any spice atm.

You guys ever wake up in the middle of the night with a sudden realization that the fremen are a middle eastern analogue culture with a deep reverence for worms, and worms are responsible for maintaining the humus layer in a healthy soil AND middle eastern cultures are very fond of the chickpea paste called hummus???

Anyways, I was just wondering how should I eyeball my spice? Like should I just rub spice blow sand in my eyes?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bubblyblubber posted:

You guys ever wake up in the middle of the night with a sudden realization that the fremen are a middle eastern analogue culture with a deep reverence for worms, and worms are responsible for maintaining the humus layer in a healthy soil AND middle eastern cultures are very fond of the chickpea paste called hummus???

Anyways, I was just wondering how should I eyeball my spice? Like should I just rub spice blow sand in my eyes?

a lot of people are saying you're taking too much spice but you don't have to go to rehab, just try switching to sapho juice

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The spice stigma. Spigma?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Bubblyblubber posted:

It's called a spice blow so :cocaine:

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 26, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

someone will make a "you fall into the paris sewers and a skeleton grabs you by the shoulder" joke with spice, i have seen it

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

someone will make a "you fall into the paris sewers and a skeleton grabs you by the shoulder" joke with spice, i have seen it

proposal: a secret war for "using our sardaukar in harkonnen livery" and "putting that upstart duke in his place"

reality: a man falls through the sandstorm and into arrakeenian landing flats. taking the family atomics from their hiding place he spies row upon row of imperials. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes him madly, yelling "my shaddam have u tried marrying your daughter of to me"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Did any of you guys get the family atomics? Mine went to my older brother but I bet he's never going to actually use them.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
So this is what you spacemen call a nuclear family? Down in the Klit we are happy if we get family worm...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bubblyblubber posted:

proposal: a secret war for "using our sardaukar in harkonnen livery" and "putting that upstart duke in his place"

reality: a man falls through the sandstorm and into arrakeenian landing flats. taking the family atomics from their hiding place he spies row upon row of imperials. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes him madly, yelling "my shaddam have u tried marrying your daughter of to me"

:five:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

davidspackage posted:

Did any of you guys get the family atomics? Mine went to my older brother but I bet he's never going to actually use them.

Lemme tell you, I got them and they're totally not worth it. They're incredibly bulky, rusting to poo poo, and I'm not even sure they work anymore. Heaven forbid I try one out, the whole landsraad gets a bug up its rear end about the Great Convention. I mean, what's the point of having these atomics if you're never gonna use them? Might as well strap some shields on cannonfodder and shoot them in the back with a lasgun

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Yeah, but then you learn about that One Cool Trick the Landsraad hates and start nuking whatever inanimate objects you want.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Ror posted:

Yeah, but then you learn about that One Cool Trick the Landsraad hates and start nuking whatever inanimate objects you want.

Look, you ever try blowing up inanimate objects? Gets very boring very quick. What's the point of being a duke if you can't kill your subjects in whatever manner you choose? I mean, what am I, an Atredies that coddles his people? Or a Harkkonen that tortures them? Nah, I just wanna see a bunch of condemned criminals get blasted to smithereens by an atomic without the landsraad getting all up in my business, is that so much to ask?

Man, it's tough being a galactic duke.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Eey Yooo, we gotta natural feature of the desert ova here

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

StashAugustine posted:

a lot of people are saying you're taking too much spice but you don't have to go to rehab, just try switching to sapho juice

We are trying to give Paul an intervention but he keeps foreseeing it.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Eyy, I’m nukin’ here!!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Can you actually pay the Guild to take your House, shields and atomics to a secret planet and leave the empire forever?

Or do you think they just leave you in space somewhere and laugh about it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

Can you actually pay the Guild to take your House, shields and atomics to a secret planet and leave the empire forever?

Or do you think they just leave you in space somewhere and laugh about it.

I think their stance on one-way trips is to shrug their fish shoulders and say, "as long as you have the spice to pay for it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pnumoman posted:

Lemme tell you, I got them and they're totally not worth it. They're incredibly bulky, rusting to poo poo, and I'm not even sure they work anymore. Heaven forbid I try one out, the whole landsraad gets a bug up its rear end about the Great Convention. I mean, what's the point of having these atomics if you're never gonna use them? Might as well strap some shields on cannonfodder and shoot them in the back with a lasgun

I use mine for duck hunting