Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

80% is real optimistic for when orms Just Work, if you're gonna give the standard orm spiel, too

ORMs really shine in toy projects, but I've definitely seen a lot of projects fail because of their ORM - they either ended up with performance issues they couldn't figure out or spent longer fixing the performance than it would've taken to just do everything manually. Micro-orm might be a little more work up front but it's much easier to get it to perform and finding database people is a lot easier than finding ORM whisperers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What does failure because of poor ORM performance end up actually looking like? Am I just in a company that tolerates awful performance and excessive spending? We have real data access problems, with inefficient queries, frequently doing application-level joins and more, but people are happy with 4+ second latency on requests and just doubling the size of database instances whenever there's a load issue.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

You just described it. In the worst case it can kill the ability to scale horizontally. Even when the ability to scale isn't killed (like when there's a reasonable sharding strategy) you might end up with smaller shards than you want, worse perf/us, higher cost, etc.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Why yes I worked at a monolithic rails shop, why do you ask?

Atma_Weapon
Jun 18, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

Looking for feedback on a technical interview question for a senior full stack developer.

I threw together this fiddle http://sqlfiddle.com/#!18/53b2a2 and ask for a query that returns latest status name for an Order. Then, to try to pivot into systems design I'd ask, given an existing stack that uses this (happens to be .Net/Azure here), greenfield a system to deliver an alert when status changes using whatever you want.

In addition to comfort talking through problem, I'd be looking for whether they mention the word 'queue' when I bring up a concern about message volume, think to use a text/email service at all, or even think of the browser alert capability that we all have to thank for those loving popups to allow alerts on every engagement mill site.

I'm not smart when it comes to semi-complex SQL queries. I can get this to work for a given OrderId. What's the query for getting the latest status name of all orders?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

Why yes I worked at a monolithic rails shop, why do you ask?

This

We did report differencing of tens of thousands of items, across hundreds of units, reports would take 8-10 hours to run, to the point that we made the monolith run in report runner worker mode, on a separate machine and that client had an 8 core on prem VM that existed just to run reports otherwise the differencing engine would run too slowly, in addition to the primary server, and we ran a replica db just for the reports.

The app is not any more complex than it sounds, it's just that we hired 60 interns to write it in 8 months, and it ran like poo poo, and then we piled a bunch of tightly coupled features on top of it and it was less work to make the customer buy more cpu than it was to fix the product

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 25, 2020

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Atma_Weapon posted:

I'm not smart when it comes to semi-complex SQL queries. I can get this to work for a given OrderId. What's the query for getting the latest status name of all orders?

code:
SELECT id, statename, time_stamp
  FROM (
    SELECT orders.id, states.statename, time_stamp,  rank() OVER (PARTITION BY orders.id ORDER BY status.time_stamp DESC) AS rank
    FROM orders
    JOIN orderstatus AS status ON (orders.id=status.order_id)
    JOIN orderstates AS states ON (status.status_id=states.id)
    ) AS tmp
WHERE rank=1;
The inner SELECT joins all the rows together, and contains a Window function to rank the rows by their Status timestamp, partitioned by the Order ID. The outer SELECT does a WHERE rank=1 to just output the top row (the latest status) in each partition.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I have an interview with a FAANG company and another with an almost-FAANG company, both for remote roles. I'm practicing on leetcode but I'm so incredibly rusty at this algorithms stuff. And I have no idea what to answer systems design questions.

What can I do in the next two weeks or so to try and maybe not totally bomb both interviews?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Doghouse posted:

I have an interview with a FAANG company and another with an almost-FAANG company, both for remote roles. I'm practicing on leetcode but I'm so incredibly rusty at this algorithms stuff. And I have no idea what to answer systems design questions.

What can I do in the next two weeks or so to try and maybe not totally bomb both interviews?

Grinding leetcode is probably the best practice for algo code interviews. Do easy/medium and maybe the high-acceptance rate hards, don't spend too long on it if you're stumped, read the submitted solutions and make sure you understand exactly why it works. Rinse, repeat. (Not joking: while you're doing a problem talk out loud about what / why you're writing. That's what we want to hear from a candidate in our coding exercises, even if they don't get a solution.)

For system design, I really like this book: https://www.amazon.com/Designing-Data-Intensive-Applications-Reliable-Maintainable/dp/1449373321. Talks about common design decisions, backgrounds, scaling problems and solutions in distributed systems. A quick read through should get enough background to see problem spots in system designs and enough bullshittery to be able to discuss it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

minato posted:

The SQL fiddle example seems overly complex:

Agreed (with you and the other people pointing it out - I was just slapping something together and that was lazy+bad of me.

quote:

- The full solution can be done a few ways, but some of them are RDBMS-specific. In Postgres you might use a window function, but older versions of MySQL don't have that. So you can't test that here.

Good point! I hadn't considered they might want to change the DB engine - making the schema simple enough to work on PG, Oracle or :shudder: MySQL would be even better than just cleaning up the setup script.

quote:

A FSE position requires broad but not necessarily deep knowledge. What signal do you want to get from this question? I would bet that the above question as originally stated will take ~15-20 mins for an average candidate before you have to move on, and it only tests a specific aspect of SQL. Maybe if you made a simpler question, you'd get the signal "yeah, they know SQL enough to know what a JOIN is" within 5 minutes so you can move on to asking them about the many other things they'll need to know as an FSE.

I'm looking for basic knowing how a join works and hoping they have a grasp on concepts window functions, explicit ordering, sub-queries and/or foreign keys.

Guinness posted:

A diagram would be 100x better to describe the data.

Yeah, I wish SSMS could spit out an ASCII diagram... among many other things :sigh: Guess I could put a screenshot of the diagram on Imgur and put a link in a comment at the top.

Hadlock posted:

Seems like at every job I work at, whenever we hire somebody super senior, the very first thing they do is look at top 10 queries by total time, then rewrite them by hand, as they're doing something really dumb in the ORM

Side note but that's one of the first things I did when I started here, heh

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Twerk from Home posted:

What does failure because of poor ORM performance end up actually looking like?
One of the more popular ones:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/97197/what-is-the-n1-selects-problem-in-orm-object-relational-mapping

I see this in UI as well, every row in a table kicks off another web call to retrieve another row.

And of course it all works fine in testing

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

I see this in UI as well, every row in a table kicks off another web call to retrieve another row.

And of course it all works fine in testing

"My test data has three records that I setup on my first day, three years ago, what, you want me to write code AND manage my own test data? That's QAs problem, don't ever email me again" cc: Engineering Manager, cc: VP of Engineering

Signed- 40% of all developers I've ever met

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hadlock posted:

"My test data has three records that I setup on my first day, three years ago, what, you want me to write code AND manage my own test data? That's QAs problem, don't ever email me again" cc: Engineering Manager, cc: VP of Engineering

I've probably mentioned before being consulted on the project that was expected to work over the public internet in 2010 but hard fail if there was more than 100ms of latency between any of 8 clients. Why yes it worked perfectly on the in office networks!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hadlock posted:

I remember a team of people working on a HIS (hospital information system) project. It was going to use OData and NHybernate and all the latest technology.

They didn't test it with more than 40 studies until the week before release. Real hospital systems might have six or seven million studies. You can guess how well the worklist performed.

It was a Japanese company so everyone who worked on that release just... wasn't assigned any work afterwards. They all quit one by one as soon as they could find other employment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah our chief front end guy used exactly three records to mock all his stuff

I think he had a blood vessel in his eyeball pop when the customer success team came back to him and said it was crashing the JavaScript VM trying to render 80,000 items

Took three redesigns and six months to build something that would scale to 50,000 items. The back end guys set a hard limit of 49,000 items.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
That degree of failure makes me :eyepop:. Literally all you need to get efficient multi-million-row handling for most realistic use cases is just knowing when to use which kind of join or subquery, when and how to efficiently paginate your lookups, how to set up good foreign keys and indexes, and how not to footgun yourself by trying to outsmart the query optimizer.

The pagination stuff goes double on the frontend. If you're trying to load 50,000 records in the first place something has already gone wrong in the design phase. The human eye can't even make out that much data, so why aren't you either paginating tables or using some kind of interpolated averages for graphs?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
my biggest problem with ef isn't n + 1 queries. it's when ef can't evaluate an expression in the db so silently pulls every single row into the app, then evaluates the expression there

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
One thing that I've taken to asking in interviews for jobs that have an ORM is: suppose you have some nasty slow query, whether it's because of bad database architecture or just a bad ORM generated SQL query. What's the normal approach you take? Lots of places surprisingly don't know, because it's not a problem they've run in to (this is probably bad). Some places say "well our database is well architected" but unless they have some DBA designing it or are insanely careful odds are it's not (nobody is insanely careful). But you can learn a lot about a place this way: do they really try to stick with the ORM? Do they lean on caching? Do they write raw SQL? Do they develop a plan to fix it at the source? Etc. Good way to learn about how a company approaches things.

(when I interview for data engineer positions, which my career has flirted with a lot, I adjust accordingly...at my last job the data engineering team was prohibited by engineering leadership from writing raw SQL and they had such a garbage ETL process that I screamed when I saw it and was glad I didn't get put on the data engineering team)

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Roadie posted:

The pagination stuff goes double on the frontend. If you're trying to load 50,000 records in the first place something has already gone wrong in the design phase. The human eye can't even make out that much data, so why aren't you either paginating tables or using some kind of interpolated averages for graphs?

I've had to explain to multiple people that you don't pull in 50,000 records and then discard all but the first 100 on the front end only. "But the user experience suffers if we have to make another request for the next 100 records!"

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

vonnegutt posted:

I've had to explain to multiple people that you don't pull in 50,000 records and then discard all but the first 100 on the front end only. "But the user experience suffers if we have to make another request for the next 100 records!"
Couple jobs ago we had a view that had frontend-only sorting, and multiple pages. It took me like a year to convince everyone that this was worth fixing.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

One thing that I've taken to asking in interviews for jobs that have an ORM is: suppose you have some nasty slow query, whether it's because of bad database architecture or just a bad ORM generated SQL query. What's the normal approach you take? Lots of places surprisingly don't know, because it's not a problem they've run in to (this is probably bad). Some places say "well our database is well architected" but unless they have some DBA designing it or are insanely careful odds are it's not (nobody is insanely careful). But you can learn a lot about a place this way: do they really try to stick with the ORM? Do they lean on caching? Do they write raw SQL? Do they develop a plan to fix it at the source? Etc. Good way to learn about how a company approaches things.

(when I interview for data engineer positions, which my career has flirted with a lot, I adjust accordingly...at my last job the data engineering team was prohibited by engineering leadership from writing raw SQL and they had such a garbage ETL process that I screamed when I saw it and was glad I didn't get put on the data engineering team)

One of my favorite hobbies is finding and removing caches that only exist to paper over bad database queries

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

redleader posted:

my biggest problem with ef isn't n + 1 queries. it's when ef can't evaluate an expression in the db so silently pulls every single row into the app, then evaluates the expression there

w---what? why would they implement that? can you at least disable that completely through a config option??

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its why even shaggar says ef sucks

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

piratepilates posted:

w---what? why would they implement that? can you at least disable that completely through a config option??

i thiiiink in more recent versions, ef will throw an exception if it can't evaluate the query server-side. it's one heck of a gotcha

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Look, my dudes, at least it's not a mongo database.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

Look, my dudes, at least it's not a mongo database.

look man, we've all been there. we're just trying to get something done within this sprint and this loving db team is like, unresponsive and poo poo. i didn't get into programming to do poo poo like "data modeling" or "database normalization" - i just want to code, god dammit. If I use mongodb, I don't have to deal with all those old people and i can get everything i need to do done within the sprint. the old people will figure out how to get it to perform once it hits production.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

redleader posted:

i thiiiink in more recent versions, ef will throw an exception if it can't evaluate the query server-side. it's one heck of a gotcha

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it just errors out and don't remember using a version that doesn't, but didn't use it until 5, I think it was?.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Couple jobs ago we had a view that had frontend-only sorting, and multiple pages. It took me like a year to convince everyone that this was worth fixing.

Did you get any credit when it was eventually deemed worth fixing? My current employer has enormous performance problems, but it's nobodies priority to fix and the business keeps beating the drum that "a good experience is worth waiting for" so our time-to-interactive across everything we build remains 20+ seconds and basic operations take 5+ seconds.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone told them that sitting and waiting for everything is a bad experience?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Did you get any credit when it was eventually deemed worth fixing? My current employer has enormous performance problems, but it's nobodies priority to fix and the business keeps beating the drum that "a good experience is worth waiting for" so our time-to-interactive across everything we build remains 20+ seconds and basic operations take 5+ seconds.

At a certain point it's up to the business to decide what they can sell. Perhaps their customers don't care.

The problem is that 20 seconds is an eternity for a loading time in all but special cases (e.g. a game). For a website or a business app that puts , say, a form or charts or some other poo poo in a window, it means something went really wrong in design phase - one of the point of moving over to web services is that the web service is always running, so you shouldn't have to worry about startup time. The implications are rarely good when it comes to, say, scalability of the application - e.g. while it might be OK if each individual opens the app in 20 seconds, the business is probably not OK if no one can open the app ever because of load and you will get blamed for that.

I would say following conventional UI guidelines for response is probably reasonable when determing whether stuff such as load screens etc. are appropriate.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Twerk from Home posted:

The engineering team was small enough (we had five engineers, total) that when we did fix it it was as part of a huge project I was leading (aka was the only engineer working on) to rewrite our entire search backend, which constituted the core of the product, and I got a promotion and bonus out of it. To be clear this wasn't in the search but as a nice side effect we then had an API that contained this information, was sortable, and performant. The problem with it wasn't performance, it was that frontend sorting is pants-on-head dumb with paginated data.

So yes I did.

Performance should be a top priority because most performance bottlenecks today are going to be worse tomorrow without proactive work, and you'll have cleaner code to boot. We deprioritized it because we sold a lovely B2B product that worked well enough and our internal clients didn't bang the performance drum. What counts as a performance bottleneck, though, is quite a bit more complex than just "it's slow!" Sometimes you don't care -- if a page takes 5 seconds to load and your audience doesn't have any performance SLAs and they can't just drop you just because your product sucks (multiyear contracts :smugdog:), 5 seconds can be fine (more than that you should at least be doing some profiling and figuring out what the issues are, at least -- we knew exactly where the bottlenecks were but we didn't think they were worth prioritizing all the time). If you're doing a direct-to-consumer product or your customer can switch to a competitor without breaking a contract or a huge amount of effort, your performance needs are likely quite different.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 30, 2020

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

and you'll have cleaner code to boot

that's one heck of a claim

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

if a page takes 5 seconds to load and your audience doesn't have any performance SLAs and they can't just drop you just because your product sucks (multiyear contracts :smugdog:), 5 seconds can be fine (more than that you should at least be doing some profiling and figuring out what the issues are, at least -- we knew exactly where the bottlenecks were but we didn't think they were worth prioritizing all the time). If you're doing a direct-to-consumer product or your customer can switch to a competitor without breaking a contract or a huge amount of effort, your performance needs are likely quite different.

5 seconds is my "this is fine" to "poo poo's on fire" breakdown. And oh man when you're using 4 different JS front-ends across your app, poo poo gets real close to being on fire on every page navigation...

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

5 seconds is my "this is fine" to "poo poo's on fire" breakdown. And oh man when you're using 4 different JS front-ends across your app, poo poo gets real close to being on fire on every page navigation...

I've seen a single project (not, not product, or application, I'm talking about literally one project in solution containing dozens of projects), that contained
- Pages rendered using react
- Pages rendered using angular
- Pages rendered using asp.net mvc.
- Pages rendered using a bunch of vanilla js and createElement.

Imagine if the page asking for your username/password was written in Angular, and you click "Forgot My password", and it brings you to a react page. You go to a different page, and it's render in ASP.NET MVC. And all the pages were developed at the same time, so it wasn't as if there was an angular fad then a react fad.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I've seen a single project (not, not product, or application, I'm talking about literally one project in solution containing dozens of projects), that contained

Imagine if the page asking for your username/password was written in Angular, and you click "Forgot My password", and it brings you to a react page. You go to a different page, and it's render in ASP.NET MVC. And all the pages were developed at the same time, so it wasn't as if there was an angular fad then a react fad.

Look, I'm not saying that you're describing our project (because gross, Microsoft languages), but why are you describing our project?

(not fully. we do have a deep-cut legacy backbone page rendering a react component rendering a vue component, though. :getin:)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Are they rendering each other via iframes? My personal favorite I've seen at work is an AngularDart application housing an iframe with a React application that hosts another iframe holding its own React root.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Why does this happen? I understand like the competition of frameworks whatever but like why would a single company allow it to happen instead of enforce standards for their tools.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

barkbell posted:

Why does this happen? I understand like the competition of frameworks whatever but like why would a single company allow it to happen instead of enforce standards for their tools.

Honestly I've seen at least one developer so disgusted at how badly managed their engineering department was, that they decided to just go with the flow and invent problems and then solve them using esoteric solutions that were impossible to support

Our technical project manager is bad, but not that bad

vileness fats
Sep 16, 2003

College Slice
Gentlemen, a style question.

I literally haven't written SQL for 20+ years, and my solution from the days of yore would be:

code:
SELECT o.id, ss.statename, os.timestamp
FROM orders o, orderstatus os, orderstates ss
WHERE os.orderid = o.id 
AND os.statusid = ss.id
AND os.timestamp = 
	(SELECT max(timestamp)
	 FROM orderstatus iss
	 WHERE iss.orderid = o.id);
Which does have the advantage that it would run on anything that supports subqueries (e.g. any major RDBMS from the mid-90s on).

Is that style of SQL considered unfashionable these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Presuming we're all "gentlemen" is certainly unfashionable these days :)

The SQL looks pretty clear to me, though I'm no expert.