Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dalael posted:

Which emperor would have the best tweet?

hadrilan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Dalael posted:

nero. no question

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Low Desert Punk posted:

nero. no question

One of the funniest stories to me from Roman history was how the future Emperor Vespasian had a "Career Limiting Move" moment when he fell asleep during one of Nero's hipster harp concerts in Greece.

On the flip side it might have saved him since the following political instability after Nero got killed it made him a under the radar type leader.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Claudius has strong "always posting" vibes to me

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tulip posted:

Claudius has strong "always posting" vibes to me

Claudius = Fishmech
Tiberius = Jeffrey
Pupienus = Squizzle
Balbinus = Twoday
Marcus Aurelius = Cumshitter

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Diocletian just @ing the Roman populace with a picture of a cabbage.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

santa claus punched a guy about it

and then that guy was never heard from again and no heresy happened the end

I'm a very strongly Geography Is Destiny guy and I maintain that the Americas' biggest preordained developmental problems were:

- continents too vertical and not horizontal enough (fucks with trade and such)
- caribbean too far south (anywhere with access to your convenient sea is annoyingly hot and full of mosquitos)

yeah having less handy animals didn't help, but they had quasi-domesticated buffalo and extremely domesticated alpacas/llamas

too bad they didn't live with them and roll in their feces like europeans

I used to go on r/askhistorians a whole lot a few years ago and the consensus there was that Guns, Germs, and Steel was racist, then again they also thought that Zinn was a hack so I don't know.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dalael posted:

Caligula

Though the Romans would *not* be about "everybody gets to post"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

ToxicAcne posted:

I used to go on r/askhistorians a whole lot a few years ago and the consensus there was that Guns, Germs, and Steel was racist, then again they also thought that Zinn was a hack so I don't know.

i've yet to hear an explanation for that, but if I had to guess I'd go with "not blaming white peoples actions on innate spiritual evil that would never apply to anyone else"

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Actually looking back at some of those threads, the explanation was that his thesis ignores the agency of indigenous peoples and the role of social relations in the conquest. I.e how Cortes and Pizzaro got insanely lucky or how the destruction of the Aztec and Incan Empires relied more on how much their enemies hated them than any technological superiority by the Spanish.

ToxicAcne has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Sep 26, 2020

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

Caligula

Though the Romans would *not* be about "everybody gets to post"

the social war: all the other subforums waging war on GBS for the right to shitpost and choose their own mods

caracella: trolling all the other mods and admins by promoting every poster on the forums to IK status

Max Thrax: uwe boll

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ToxicAcne posted:

Actually looking back at some of those threads, the explanation was that his thesis ignores the agency of indigenous peoples and the role of social relations in the conquest. I.e how Cortes and Pizzaro got insanely lucky or how the destruction of the Aztec and Incan Empires relied more on how much their enemies hated them than any technological superiority by the Spanish.

would the Tlaxcalans have ever allied with Cortes in the first place if they didn't repeatedly lose battles to him? this seems like one of those pointless historical fights where you just post a picture of that girl saying "why not both?" until everyone shuts up

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

AnEdgelord posted:

this seems like one of those pointless historical fights where you just post a picture of that girl saying "why not both?" until everyone shuts up

dialectics

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ToxicAcne posted:

i think the biggest problem is that way too many people who should know better want to impute a lot of european ideas of empire into these pre-columbian polities that were way less durable than the very term empire implies, even if they were ruled by someone for whom "emperor" was a reasonable description

the spanish were a big exogenous shock to the "empires", but as the mississippian culture shows, poo poo was unstable since well before the spanish rolled up

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
the same could be said for the sumerians, or the greeks

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Flavius Aetass posted:

fair enough, the point I was going for is that none of the pre-columbian empires the spanish fought were ever really stable in the sense that we think of an empire. they might have eventually got there (the inca in particular) but they were all very new entities, relatively speaking

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Regardless of anything, the romans would have all been amazing posters. The ability to poo poo talk anyone at any time is essentially heaven on earth to a bunch of them

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I guess the closest comparison to the Aztec empire would be the Delian league?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
at the end of the day you're still asking why one area of the world steamrolled another and the details of how things played out are rarely the answer

like I can't remember if it was diamond or someone else who pointed out that cortez was from the bottom of the social hierarchy in spain which is why there were so many people like him who followed his path to conquest in the americas

if anything it suggests that the person making the argument is unaware that the colonizers having local allies is a part of colonial history everywhere and not a one time thing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ToxicAcne posted:

there's cetainly a lot of problems with jared diamonds work, namely a lot of is just psychohistory speculation, but most of history is also just speculation and does a better job at material historicalism than some other big authors.

a lot of white suburban liberal-arts major libs want to show off how overtly academically smart n woke they are by saying diamond, he loves da imperialism and genocide! just random acts of entropy aka white apologist!!. and it's like, no in fact, that is kind of one of the major problems with him is that he specifically starts writing a book with the thesis intending to be "european supremacy and imperialism = bad and not real" and then spooling around that like cotton candy instead of having it come out a little more natural. like it's sort of like he wrote a book to debunk the more popular 80s/90s idiocy of european supremacy

it was very much like capitalism or proto-capitalism/feudalism/monarchocapitalism = bad and self-destructing and that europeans are terrible people inflicting mass suffering in their wake, this was pretty clearly spelled out many times over. there is certainly a lot that diamond did not do right or well, but he set out, very specifically, to disprove the notion of 'european supremacy' and phrenology-biotruth poo poo that is/was all the rage amongst libs n think-tankers and point out no white europeans bad, and he uses a lot of material historicalism to do so. this is much less useful in tyool 2020 than in 1995

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:58 on Sep 26, 2020

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Molo posted:

Claudius = Fishmech
Tiberius = Jeffrey
Pupienus = Squizzle
Balbinus = Twoday
Marcus Aurelius = Cumshitter

i dont know anything about roman history so im just going to interpret this as a compliment, as i do all attention negative or positive

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ToxicAcne posted:

heck, it wasn't as codified in religion/marriage or feudal duties but i'm sure there are paralells with contemporary france under the weak monarchy of the late middle ages

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cumshitter posted:

i dont know anything about roman history so im just going to interpret this as a compliment, as i do all attention negative or positive

wise philosopher
young at heart
good with money
really nice to ur large adult son even though he’s a bit of a fuckup

yup ur marcus aurelius :yaybutt:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I feel with Hadrian's well known love of twinky boys and sensible economics makes him a closer fit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

Pizarro invaded the Inca empire right when they were reenacting season two of Game of Thrones.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Alhazred posted:

Pizarro invaded the Inca empire right when they were reenacting season two of Game of Thrones.

preenacting...?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zore posted:

My favorite is still the time God ambushes Moses in the middle of the night and tries to kill him only to be stopped when Moses' wife circumcises their son and wards God off using the bloody foreskin.

i looked this up and it's even more interesting! this is like the one time that i think the KJV provides illumination, conversely because of its ambiguity on pronouns

http://www.kjvtoday.com/home/is-the-kjv-confusing-in-exodus-424-26

i really don't know the doctrinal answer for this verse but this was nice and neat

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Kanine posted:

what's possibly the most harmful destructive single thing you could introduce into the ancient world?

-the modern conception of racism?
-gunpowder?
-the chemistry/engineering theory needed in order to make poison gas bombs?

distilled liquor

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Wonder if at some point in medieval Andalusia a Muslim chemist showed his Christian counterpart this cool device for concentrating medicines and the Christian goes "could we put wine in that thing?"

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Molo posted:

wise philosopher
young at heart
good with money
really nice to ur large adult son even though he’s a bit of a fuckup

yup ur marcus aurelius :yaybutt:

ok i accept this, so long as it is praise

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

platzapS posted:

distilled liquor

Imagine Caligula with 14% wine.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

platzapS posted:

Wonder if at some point in medieval Andalusia a Muslim chemist showed his Christian counterpart this cool device for concentrating medicines and the Christian goes "could we put wine in that thing?"

considering that Andulsian Muslims belonged to the Zahiri school, I wouldn't think they'd need a Christian counterpart lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ToxicAcne posted:

Yeah in the case of Aztec empire without Indian allies providing troops and more importantly supplies it would have been impossible for Cortez to conquer the Aztec empire. Even at his peak his force by historical estimates was only 1200 - 1400 European soldiers.

Most of it was due to how similar to the US the Aztec Empire was a hegemony that was making lives really miserable for all the neighboring kingdoms due to things like constant "Flower War" invasions and having to pay constant tribute.

For the Incan Empire Pizarro was lucky enough to invade and exploit a succession crisis since the two sons of the previous Inca ruler didn't get along.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7JYGOhgnKc

I've been listening to videos from this channel recently. It has some decent introductions to early Christian stuff. I think the host is a grad student in religious studies, so it seems pretty grounded in academic research.

Good channel, especially the stuff about pagan religions and mystery cults

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
does anyone know where I can buy a strigil?

I want to exfoliate more but I don’t like loofahs

this one seems expensive, and possibly child-sized?

twoday has issued a correction as of 13:16 on Sep 26, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Regardless of anything, the romans would have all been amazing posters. The ability to poo poo talk anyone at any time is essentially heaven on earth to a bunch of them

Imagine if Juvenal could post in CSPAM.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

etalian posted:

Imagine if Catullus could post in CSPAM.

e: pretty similar to avshalom I assume

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I read GGS in HS and I remember talking with my older brother about it, who hated it because it didn't give enough credit to European capitalism, and to this day I'm baffled as to how 1500s Spain qualified as meaningfully capitalist.

ToxicAcne posted:

I've liked the comparison to the UN myself.

Flavius Aetass posted:

There are...several times where a broad culture gets flattened into a single empire due to either lack of clarity in a textbook or because of a video game contrivance. Sumerians, Greeks, Mayans, and Gauls being the most obvious to me, and Celts getting a bonus round due to some pseudohistory shenanigans that have spread about them.

e: We all know the most powerful poster would be Diogenes, while Plato would be in some libcult on Twitter.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Tulip posted:

I've liked the comparison to the UN myself.

The UN doesn’t go around asking you to pay up if you don’t want them to smash up the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wow some great advice for CSPAM

quote:

Why not whip the teacher when the pupil misbehaves?

Diogenes