Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Biplane posted:

ODST also has one of the best video game soundtracks ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbonVshOLf0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Something I'm belatedly appreciating a while after beating Metal Gear Rising is its approach to quicktime button presses...for QTEs and such, it has a quick graphic of the four controller face buttons pop up, with the relevant button highlighted. Now I'm in another game that wants me to press Y on the ol' XBone controller and it's like, I spent years getting Nintendo's button layout ingrained, just show me a picture of which one I'm supposed to be pressing, I don't have to think about going against years of muscle memory, and it makes life so much easier :sigh:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Peace walker does the same but also shows up in the proper corner of the screen eg face buttons botton left, symbols bottom right etc

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo, that One Really, Really Bad Day quest in AssCreed: Odyssey.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Sep 26, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

bunnyofdoom posted:

Peace walker does the same but also shows up in the proper corner of the screen eg face buttons botton left, symbols bottom right etc

IIRC the God of War games experimented with this sort of thing too so by the time three rolled around you had big button icons in the direction the button was, IE: if you had to press triangle it would show up at the top, square would be to the left and X at the bottom.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alhazred posted:

Holy poo poo, that One Really, Really Dad Day quest in AssCreed: Odyssey.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AC: Odyssey in general is so, so good :allears:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Holy poo poo, that One Really, Really Dad Day quest in AssCreed: Odyssey.

The Pegasus bit made me hurt myself laughing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something I'm belatedly appreciating a while after beating Metal Gear Rising is its approach to quicktime button presses...for QTEs and such, it has a quick graphic of the four controller face buttons pop up, with the relevant button highlighted. Now I'm in another game that wants me to press Y on the ol' XBone controller and it's like, I spent years getting Nintendo's button layout ingrained, just show me a picture of which one I'm supposed to be pressing, I don't have to think about going against years of muscle memory, and it makes life so much easier :sigh:

I think that's just generally a Platinum thing that other developers happened to pick up; I've seen it in Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, and Revengeance. I don't remember it in Nier Automata, but I think that might just be because Nier didn't have QTEs.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beat Bloodwing in Borderlands 2 - I think the thing that makes Handsome Jack work as a villain is how he marries his buffoonish behaviour to his cruelty - it's obvious he's just playing the idiot to take his enemies off-guard, like in the boss in the spoiler - throughout the fight he makes a show of forgetting the elemental damage types, as Bloodwing is cycling he's saying stuff like "So, we've had fire, electricity, corrosion... I know there was another element, what was it..." Then you beat Bloodwing, he gets tranquilised - then his head explodes as Handsome Jack "remembers" the final element. "Oh yeah, that was it... explosion. Let that be a lesson to you kids, don't gently caress with me." It was a strong moment in general.

I just finished the Pre-Sequel after BL2, since I got the Handsome Collection on offer on Switch, and I enjoyed both way more than I expected, especially TPS. Handsome Jack is a fun villain and while there's a fair bit of dumb poo poo in both games they're really not as bad as I was expecting after hearing everyone and their mother cuss them out for years.

I will say, once I'd finished the quests & DLC, I didn't have much of an urge to replay BL2 as different characters, but I enjoyed TPS enough to start a new play through. I think it's the variable gravity and excessive jump pads; it's a lot of fun just flinging yourself around shooting wildly.

My little thing in TPS is when you're playing as Tim and looking at your inventory, sometimes he'll say something in character as Jack and then trail off into muttering "...I hate this guy."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Byzantine posted:

The Pegasus bit made me hurt myself laughing.

For me it was the blind smith being flattened and Kassandra just looking so resigned

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't have a seething hatred for QTEs the way a lot of players seem to but one thing games could be better at in general is preparing players for them and showing how they're going to work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any game where you need to press a certain button in a time-sensitive context is a QTE, when you really think about it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Any game where you need to press a certain button in a time-sensitive context is a QTE, when you really think about it.

Kind of. Jokes aside, what makes a QTE different beyond the unique animations/cutscenes and the raised stakes for failure is the lack of choice. Any regular block or dodge could be considered a QTE in a way but either proactively or reactively that block or dodge was probably not your only option whereas a QTE railroads you into a single do or die button input.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All video games are quick time events because time passes too quick when I'm playing them and then my mom tells me to go to bed because it's past my bedtime

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Except for RDR2, that's more of a slow time event amirite? :dadjoke:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've barely encountered games with quick time events, it's more of a console exclusive thing I feel. But I remember in Mirror's Edge not noticing the colour sensitive quicktime cue in a cutscene like 4 times in a row because I have pudding brain. I harbour a vague distrust of them ever since the final boss of Space Marine was an extremely dumb sequence of QTEs after a whole game of fun stompy shooting. The hell was that about.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I was not prepared at all for the QTEs in FFXIV raids. Even if all it is is button mashing it still takes me a few seconds to get it.

Except Dancer, I set up my crossbar so Dancer is just QTE: The Class

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Antioch posted:

I was not prepared at all for the QTEs in FFXIV raids. Even if all it is is button mashing it still takes me a few seconds to get it.

A very nice thing about those QTEs is any key on your keyboard will work, not just your mouse - that blew my mind when someone told me to just keysmash through one.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

small ghost posted:

My little thing in TPS is when you're playing as Tim and looking at your inventory, sometimes he'll say something in character as Jack and then trail off into muttering "...I hate this guy."

It's like trying to choose between all the laaadies~! GOD I hate this guy.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Except for RDR2 Max Payne, that's more of a slow time event amirite? :dadjoke:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Paper Mario: Origami King has an entire chapter that's one huge Wind Waker riff, for... some reason. It might well be the best chapter in the game, but the little thing I liked was how they include a merchant in one of its more elaborate dungeon-y areas, in a way that doesn't break the whole 'you're going into an undiscovered ruin' part.

You find a statue that sells overpriced mushrooms... because, as you later find out, the whole thing is an ancient, elaborate, money-grubbing tourist trap. Of course they've got vending machines with an insane markup.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Antioch posted:

The first time I tried to do the latest trial we wiped on the QTE four times before the group fell apart, because this is the first time everyone has do it successfully to proceed and people just kept failing it

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
In Control there's a mission where you're following Ahti the janitor's directions to complete a quest, and the path leads through the supernatural motel you've been through several times during the game. Normally you solve an easy puzzle to get a key to open the door with the black pyramid on it to exit the area. Buuuut... You can't open that door in this mission.

You leave through the Janitor's closet

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm playing Dragon Quest Builders 1, and I'm digging how different the towns are from each other, in a way that builds naturally off of itself. The first town is a basic situation, help it defend itself from monsters, it's mostly civillians so you turn it into a micro-fortress with the fortifications focusing on defense because of how unaccustomed to fighting the others are, so you let those do most of the damage . Then the second town is suffering from an epidemic, so rather than a fortress you convert it into a field hospital. I also completely hated the boss of Chapter 2, and hope the later bosses are less poo poo I'm onto the third one now, where the people are already starting to try to fight back after being inspired by the first two towns, and are just no match for the monsters yet. I'm expecting that one to be more of a military barrack by the end, but i'll see as I play more of it.

I also like how it avoids the Dark cloud 2 problem of the characters not giving a poo poo about their own places - the characters give you specific blueprints for how they need their unique rooms to be put together, so while the interconnecting stuff is all the player, at least the NPCs feel like they have an environment they like to work in and would prefer that you give them.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Sep 27, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am having a hard time narrowing down a single little thing about Knights and Bikes, because it's so much of a piece- the look, the feel of kids having make believe adventures, the writing, the character designs, etc.

But I'll say two things. One is a companion character you get early on- a goose named Captain Honkers. Honkers will catch the scent of things and run off in the general direction you're supposed to go, accompanied by kazoo music. At times he will look at the ground in confusion because there is no food, so you feed him and he's happy. You can also pet the goose. He's a nice goose.

The other is the theme song. It rules.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I've just recently started playing Helldivers and while it was obviously built for multiplayer and I missed the boat on that by about 5 years, I have been enjoying it purely based on how Starship Troopers everything is.

Minus points for them only having around 5 battle lines for the troopers though. A CUP OF LIBER-TEA wears out its welcome before its said once

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I played a boatload of Helldivers with a buddy and it was a legitimate blast. It was a simple but very satisfying gameplay loop.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Antioch posted:

I played a boatload of Helldivers with a buddy and it was a legitimate blast. It was a simple but very satisfying gameplay loop.

That game fukkin owns and was the main drain on my Vita for awhile

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Paper Mario Origami King is very aware of exactly when it should be its most horrifying. Realistically, it should've been obvious that the most terrifying creatures in this world are Hole Punch and Scissors, but they still sell it. I specially love that the second of those two, when fought, is nothing but instant kills. Because of course Scissors is nothing but instant kills in Paper Mario.

I've also been really liking how willing they are to pull in more esoteric enemies this time, which is a great thing to see they borrowed from the Mario & Luigi games. I never thought I'd see Sumo Bro as an enemy again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I should just give in and find a good LP of that. I really wanted to try it, but everything I read about it convinces me more and more that the main gameplay mechanic is not for me.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Peter Weller voicing Robocop in MK11 is great. Robocop sounds so good in that game especially compared to knockoff Terminator.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Maxwell Lord posted:

The other is the theme song. It rules.

A pinnacle of punk that should have Johnny Rotten giving up in humiliated shame.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I should just give in and find a good LP of that. I really wanted to try it, but everything I read about it convinces me more and more that the main gameplay mechanic is not for me.

Yea the battle system is absolutely terrible and really makes a well made game not fun to play at all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Dragon Quest Builders gets to a point where you have to be a little clever and that's fun. In the third city, there are no trees (that I've found, there are still 2 parts of it I haven't unlocked), but in the second area of it there are broken stumps. If you break one you get a seed, when you plant that seed at the base it becomes a tree over time, and THAT's how you get wood. In the previous cities there was always just a tree you could find, so having to basically make one from scratch was neat.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Samovar posted:

A pinnacle of punk that should have Johnny Rotten giving up in humiliated shame.

Have you seen him lately? Dude is already loving shameful.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The sex pistols were from the beginning a boy band created to sell a clothing line.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've restarted shadow of War as its only 10bux on steam for the Deluxe edition, and it's just a joy to play.

My favorite thing about the ranger however is his weapons and the details of them. The broken of sword as a dagger is a really cool image, and a fitting tool for his revenge against those who killed his family. Also his main sword on the back having an actually functional sheat for getting it off of his back is a detail that before nobody cared about.

I just started and already can't wait for the nemesis system to work its magic. One of the few games I really enjoy all of my time spent with.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

rodbeard posted:

The sex pistols were from the beginning a boy band created to sell a clothing line.
This was not a popular opinion to have among the punk and indie kids in my school days but I've stuck by it over the years and never found any reason to falter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hades: You can pet Cerberus.