Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
At this point when I'm looking at the thumbnails I distinguish tochinoshin and aoiyama by the size of the wraps on their knee. I wish they both weren't so injured. It makes me think of the goon wondering about how modern sports medicine techniques might help sumotori, stuff like "let a dude recover and don't penalize him for doing so"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Goddam, I wish i could speak Japanese right now. There's a sumo show on NHK with former Kisenosato talking about playing mind games with Hakuho and clips of them loving each other with mattas. People riling up Hakuho on the dohyo is never not amusing.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

At this point when I'm looking at the thumbnails I distinguish tochinoshin and aoiyama by the size of the wraps on their knee. I wish they both weren't so injured. It makes me think of the goon wondering about how modern sports medicine techniques might help sumotori, stuff like "let a dude recover and don't penalize him for doing so"

Yeah, they really need to do more to protect wrestlers. But there used to be a system before where if you were injured in competition, your rank was preserved for the next tournament but people were abusing it and going Kyujo whenever they were 0-5 or whatever. And even if they required some sort of medical cert, a sumo wrestler is basically always some level of injured that would knock a normal person out so any doctor should always be able to find something that says a guy shouldn’t do anything strenuous for the next 2 weeks.

Edit: found the rule on wiki. More detailed write up by John Gunning

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/11/07/sumo/sumo-injuries-pose-ever-present-issues-wrestlers-rankings/#.XcRL9eSWymQ

quote:

kōshō seido (公傷制度)
Public Injury System. Introduced in 1972, this system allowed a wrestler who had been injured in the ring during a tournament to sit out the next tournament without any effect on his rank. It was abolished at the end of 2003 because it was felt too many wrestlers were missing tournaments with minor injuries.[8]

One thing they could probably look at is the amount of full contact drills as a daily training method. I don’t think I’ve seen tackling sleds or dummies in any pictures of stables so the tachiai portion of practice seems to be designating someone as target or taking turns.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 26, 2020

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
loving beautiful kakenage from Hoshoryu today!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

There were so many good bouts today, it's kinda hard to pick just a few to talk about. I am super excited for tomorrow!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I will always love Enho and am sad that he's out of his groove this basho. I also miss Abi. Fortunately, Tobizaru is a great stand-in, a real joy to watch. I loved how he was grinning like an idiot all the way up the hanamichi after he lost to Kotoeko on Day 5 (his first loss). It was such an exciting bout, and he wasn't too jaded or SERIOUS SUMO MAN to let that pass him by. This comes across really clearly in his post-bout interviews, too. He's thrilled to be here fighting the big names and is going to make the most of it.

Takakeisho can kiss my rear end, and so can NHK World for always focusing on him as "the man at the top of the leaderboard" when he's sharing that spot with any number of other rikishi, several of whom came practically out of nowhere and shot straight up there. I have no love for him and never will.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So tomorrow:

Tobizaru can beat Shodai to force a playoff, and then in the following match Takakeisho can beat Asanoyama to join that playoff, fun stuff.

also HENKAAAAAAAAAA

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I don’t know why I irrationally hate Shodai, but I just do. He must be stopped and Tobizaru is our only hope. It was a bummer to see all the 10-3 guys drop matches, narrowing the potential playoff field.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hirayuki posted:

Takakeisho can kiss my rear end, and so can NHK World for always focusing on him as "the man at the top of the leaderboard" when he's sharing that spot with any number of other rikishi, several of whom came practically out of nowhere and shot straight up there. I have no love for him and never will.

Whoa, this is bullshit King Tadpole owns.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I don’t know why I irrationally hate Shodai, but I just do. He must be stopped and Tobizaru is our only hope. It was a bummer to see all the 10-3 guys drop matches, narrowing the potential playoff field.

Much better, Confused Baby is the worst and I always root against him.

There's been a lot of great sumo this basho, but also a lot of kyujo. I wonder if only having 4 weeks off instead of 6 messed people up, or if it's the degeiko ban, or what.

Day 14 standings:

code:
44	anakha
49	Banana Canada
49.5	bartolimu
40	Beeswax
41	bessantj
31	Cage Kicker
35	Charles Gnarwin
40.5	Chinook
35.5	Dias
38.5	Diplomat
51	Fluffdaddy
37	Foehammer007
40.5	Gerund
42.5	GoatSeeGuy
38	ilmucche
42.5	Helianthus Annuus
32.5	Jobbo_Fett
42.5	Kenning
42	Lid
31.5	Liquid Communism
41	Lone Goat
43	Maigius
50	MalarkeyToboggan
41	Marching Powder
39	Martytoof
42.5	Mekchu
44.5	pseudodragon
32	QuasiQuack
37	Robviously
34	sivad
44.5	Skjorte
47.5	Sub Rosa
38	Thauros
51	Tiny Bug Child
38	whats for dinner

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Man my team started so strong and went to pot

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

shodai's cool and with asanoyama out i'm rooting for him to win the yusho and possibly a promotion. feel he'd warrant it considering he beat both the ozeki. tobizaru's been amazing to watch and i'm glad he's done exceptionally well but low table megashira winning basho have started to lose a bit of the novelty by this point

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I am super not having a great back half of a fantasy basho.

Endo and Chiyotairyu both out kyujuo, Aioyama and Tochinoshin struggling. Takakeisho is my last hope for someone to end this on a high note.

Tochi's going make-koshi. Aoiyama needs to win to make kachi-koshi

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Your hate only makes him more powerful.

He just walked Asanoyama, utter domination with a final throwdown just to say hello. If he's really gotten over his Day 14-15 choke he's scary

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Quick! Everyone place bets for the color of the giant macaron tomorrow. I'm going with green.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Blue. (I have no idea what that is.)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Red, like the blood of my enemies in the fantasy standings

Y’all keep hating on my slightly bemused infant son Shodai but he will just keep dog walking all your faves this basho

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'm gonna guess orange.

We really should come up with some prop bets for next fantasy

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

exactly what it sounds like. former french president jaques chirac was a sumo fan and i believe he had something to do with it

oh and red

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It's fall, so I'm going with orange.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

What color was the macaroon last basho?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Last time it was pink.

They haven't dragged the gold one out for a while.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Maigius posted:

What color was the macaroon last basho?

pink

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Grey, the color of my fantasy basho mood. :smith:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

The giant macaron is the greatest tradition in sumo.

Robviously posted:

I'm gonna guess orange.

We really should come up with some prop bets for next fantasy

Yeah, I remembered about it today, I was going to add a field for guessing the macaron color but I forgot. Maybe it can be like final jeopardy, where you can place a wager and it can put you over the top!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I'm guessing brown, a color that matches the performance of my fantasy team

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Let's go with a gold macaroon. This basho would have been soon after the Olympics and I could see them busting out the fancy macaroon.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Thauros posted:

shodai's cool and with asanoyama out i'm rooting for him to win the yusho and possibly a promotion. feel he'd warrant it considering he beat both the ozeki. tobizaru's been amazing to watch and i'm glad he's done exceptionally well but low table megashira winning basho have started to lose a bit of the novelty by this point

Is it down to a fundamental flaw in the ranking/matching system that we've seen two bottom ranks win this year as well as an M14 that's within a stone's throw of it? When you're competing mostly at your rank's level at bottom maegashira it tends to skew in your favor compared to guys who have to deal with sanyakus and m1s, m2s, etc. When you get a stone-cold war veteran like Terunofuji coming up and squashing M15s like bugs I got a hunch very early on he was going to walk the basho.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

If everyone on the banzuke is healthy, then it's not an issue. A low ranker doing well can be thrown into the meat grinder for the last couple of days of a basho without upsetting the high ranking matches too much.

When both yokozuna and other sanyaku dudes are out, then the struggle to fill the top end of the torikumi takes some precedence and a low ranker doing well is less likely to face genuinely tough opponents.

Have a look a Kyukotenho's Yusho back in 2012 (I think). It was this kind of situation too.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
purple

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Lavender like Kotoeko’s mawashi

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
A black macaron.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Blue like how my fantasy stable has got me feeling :smith:. I was very wrong about Endo and Terutsuyoshi making a glorious comeback in the second half. Wakatakakage doing awesome though!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sort of cappuccino beige like Kagayaki's mawashi

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yellow.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Blue like Kotoshogiku's mawashi on his last day of sumo.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

it’s been noted that rikishi debuting in makuuchi often have very solid performances accompanied by winning one of the special prizes tho usually not *this* good. i guessed the wrong one...

with a heavy heart: same.

its this. the macaroon will be yellow imo

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Fluffdaddy posted:

Y’all keep hating on my slightly bemused infant son Shodai but he will just keep dog walking all your faves this basho

really hoping Takakeisho takes the yusho away from Shodai :twisted:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Oh man I thought Terunofuji dropping out was going to wreck my team but Kiribayama coming back might just save me.

Calling a green macaron.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Orange macroon.

Having a Ozeki-Ozeki top match is fully acceptable but the Tobizaru-Shodai match feels kinda weak for a final day? How much leeway do the sumo elders get for matchups as the basho goes on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gerund posted:

Orange macroon.

Having a Ozeki-Ozeki top match is fully acceptable but the Tobizaru-Shodai match feels kinda weak for a final day? How much leeway do the sumo elders get for matchups as the basho goes on?

They have total discretion for the torikumi (i.e. the day's match-ups). Generally they try to make sure that someone contending for the cup has really earned it. By putting Tobizaru against Shodai they're ensuring that if Tobizaru wins (and then wins a subsequent playoff) he absolutely deserved the cup. If they gave Shodai some other san'yaku, and he lost, and the Tobizaru went against like Hokutofuji and won it wouldn't be clear that Tobizaru had a serious enough schedule to justify being in the playoff. I think it's pretty exciting to have the cup-deciding match be the second-from-the-last on the last day tbh.

Elissimpark posted:

If everyone on the banzuke is healthy, then it's not an issue. A low ranker doing well can be thrown into the meat grinder for the last couple of days of a basho without upsetting the high ranking matches too much.

When both yokozuna and other sanyaku dudes are out, then the struggle to fill the top end of the torikumi takes some precedence and a low ranker doing well is less likely to face genuinely tough opponents.

Have a look a Kyukotenho's Yusho back in 2012 (I think). It was this kind of situation too.

Yeah, the over-performance of the lower--ranking rikishi over the last couple years is mostly due to inconsistent appearances from the top ranks. A basho is zero-sum, so if there's not a high-functioning yokozuna or ozeki corps soaking up wins then those wins are going to accrue lower in the banzuke. If that happens enough it's almost inevitable to have a maegashira take the cup. Let's look at the non-y/o wins in the last 3 years:

Hatsu: Tochinoshin yusho with 14 wins from M3. Hakuho and Kisenosato both pulled out, although Kakuryu went 11-4 and Takayasu (at ozeki) went 12-3. Goeido pulled 8 wins.
Haru: Kakuryu yusho with 13. Neither Kisenosato or Hakuho appeared, but Takayasu again pulled 12 wins.
Natsu: Kakuryu yusho with 14, Hakuho did 11, Tochi made ozeki with 13 from sekiwake. No Kisenosato.
Nagoya: Mitakeumi yusho with 13 from sekiwake. No Hakuho, no Kakuryu, no Kisenosato. Tochi is injured and pulls out halfway. Goeido and Takayasu pull 10 and 9, respectively.
Aki: Hakuho zensho-yusho, Kakuryu pulls 10, as does (for the final time) Kisenosato. Takayasu pulls 11, and Tochinoshin avoids demotion with 9. Utter bloodbath in the upper maegashira.
Kyushu: Takakeisho won with 13 wins from komusubi. Hakuho and Kakuryu fail to appear, Kisenosato and Goeido both pull out. Takayasu has a respectable 12 win jun-yusho.

Hatsu: Tamawashi yusho with 13 wins from sekiwake. Kakuryu, Kisenosato, and Tochinoshin all pull out early. Hakuho pulls out late after sharing the lead for a while. The other ozeki pull 9 wins each.
Haru: Hakuho zensho-yusho. Kakuryu and Takayasu do 10, Goeido does 12
Natsu: Asanoyama yusho from m8 with 12 wins. No Hakuho, Takakeisho pulls out. Kakuryu, Goeido, and Takayasu are 11, 9, and 9.
Nagoya: Kakuryu yusho with 14, Hakuho gets 11. Goeido, Takakeisho, and Tochinoshin all sit out or pull out. Rough basho.
Aki: Mitakeumi yusho from sekiwake with 12. Hakuho, Kakuryu, and Tochinoshin pull out, Takayasu doesn't appear. Takakeisho takes advantage to re-make ozeki
Kyushu: Hakuho yusho with 14. Goeido and Takayasu pull out, Tochinoshin fails to get back to ozeki.

Hatsu: Tokushoryu yusho from loving m17 with 14. Hakuho and Kakuryu both pull out, Goeido only wins 5 and then retires after.
Haru: Hakuho yusho with 13, Kakuryu 12. Asanoyama pulls 11 from sekiwake to make ozeki.
Natsu: Not held.
Nagoya: Terunofuji yusho from m17. Kakuryu pulls out early, Hakuho and Takakeisho both pull out late. Asanoyama does 12 and the rest of the san'yaku do well.
Aki: Probably Shodai from sekiwake, possibily (hilariously) Tobizaru from m14. No Hakuho or Kakuryu.

It's not surprising that the issue is yokozuna and ozeki fighting injured. The only times Hakuho has completed a basho in the last 3 years and not won it was Hatsu 2018 and Nagoya 2019. Kakuryu won both of those. Between Kyokutenho's yusho in 2012 and Tochinoshin's in 2018 the only non-yokozuna or ozeki to take the cup was Terunofuji in May 2015, which was the tournament that sealed his ozeki run. The real surprising thing is that no up-and-comers have been able to force the losses on the injured top-rankers enough to get them demoted or retired. Maybe we're finally starting to see that.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 27, 2020