Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
As an American I look down on people that eat chick-fil-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Haven't been back since popeyes released their spicy chicken sandwich. I still think CFA has a good one but it's just not near as good

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost
I once was working 12s and had a buddy deployed where the you could charitably say the food usually didn’t get everybody sick - when it was around. We were talking over instant messenger, mostly to help us both pass the time, so conversation was rarely anything more than work-adjacent at best. He started filling me in on the food situation there - buncha VIPs had come in and eaten their supply of actual food, so they were subsisting on stuff like instant oatmeal and cheese sandwiches for a week. I had been so hungry in basic that I dreamt I could smell a bag full of Wendy’s food, a story he had heard before, so he tells me he’d had a similar dream the night before about pizza.

I spent the next thirty minutes getting a copy of the latest flier from papa john’s, scanning it in, and emailing it to him, no warning. I knew he had it when I get my IM lights up with “YOU FUCKER” at like 75 point font. A year or two later he and I are deployed together and are both running cable in a vehicle. He randomly stops what he’s doing to look at me and say “you know what would be good right now? Wendy’s.”

“...or maybe some Papa John’s!” He was clearly trying to get me back but I wasn’t irritated at all, which threw him a bit. So he laughed after a moment and we got back to work as he said something about having it waiting for us when we got back. We spent the entire rest of the deployment coming up with places we wanted to visit when we were back based entirely off what we were craving right that moment.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vengarr posted:

Chick-fil-a does kinda kick rear end as far as fast food goes. Their lovely politics are the only reason I don't go all the time.

They give their staff Sunday off automatically. That’s almost impossible to get a guaranteed day off in any other fast food job/low end. Their politics suck but they treat their employees “ok”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They don’t close on the Lᴏʀᴅ’s day out of the goodness of their hearts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Basically yes and they don’t force you to go to church.
I remember it being hell to synchro a day off with my girlfriend in our poor days.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I don't like CFA for their politics, but also because the one around here is part of the complex where I get my groceries and the number of people lined up for just their drive-through causes terrible traffic backups. Makes no sense since Popeye's sandwiches are better, but this is Saint Louis, and racism is a thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

They don’t close on the Lᴏʀᴅ’s day out of the goodness of their hearts.

Almost nobody does anything out of the goodness of their hearts. That's a dumb loving bar to set. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

Almost nobody does anything out of the goodness of their hearts. That's a dumb loving bar to set. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

How about this: concern for their employees is not a factor in their decision to close on Sunday, so it’s a mistake to use it as an example of them treating their employees O.K..

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Platystemon posted:

How about this: concern for their employees is not a factor in their decision to close on Sunday, so it’s a mistake to use it as an example of them treating their employees O.K..

Nobody's accusing them of altruism, but getting a day off every weekend is pretty great for that kind of work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

Nobody's accusing them of altruism, but getting a day off every weekend is pretty great for that kind of work.

The statement was “they treat their employees ‘ok’”.

A day of rest is a fine thing to appreciate, but it’s not them treating their employees.

This talk does have me curious about how they handle Jews and Muslims who cannot work on Saturday or Friday. I haven’t heard anything about that one way or the other.

e: Googled it, still don’t know, but I did find Jewish and Catholic editorial writers buying CFA gift cards to own the libs. It’s probably a good sign that a court case didn’t come up.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 26, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

A Bad Poster posted:

I don't like CFA for their politics, but also because the one around here is part of the complex where I get my groceries and the number of people lined up for just their drive-through causes terrible traffic backups. Makes no sense since Popeye's sandwiches are better, but this is Saint Louis, and racism is a thing.

It's so bad. There is a CFA in Valrico, Florida in front of a Super Walmart. The place is so busy people park in the empty lot across the lane to eat, cheerfully tossing their trash out the window.
"Gee, I like this place. Better make the polite little teenagers pick up my mess!"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

madeintaipei posted:

It's so bad. There is a CFA in Valrico, Florida in front of a Super Walmart. The place is so busy people park in the empty lot across the lane to eat, cheerfully tossing their trash out the window.
"Gee, I like this place. Better make the polite little teenagers pick up my mess!"

Holy poo poo. I was scrolling down to post this one.

Bonus for the giant trucks that end up blocking the lanes to and from Walmart and home depot so they can get some not gay chicken.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Holy poo poo. I was scrolling down to post this one.

Bonus for the giant trucks that end up blocking the lanes to and from Walmart and home depot so they can get some not gay chicken.

Lol.

That whole parking lot is full of scum. Ever go around back of that WM? Big signs telling people not to, but it's too much trouble to take a few turns at 5mph. I've run a stack of product off the trailer and found some rear end in a top hat in a car literally at the bottom of my ramp. You watched me go backwards down this ramp-door with 150lbs of product, coming straight at you. gently caress you, then. I have eight stacks of this poo poo and I'm going to leave them right in front of your car. No, don't back up or anything. Honk at me, that'll do something!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Got my mail-in ballot in the mail yesterday and sent off today. I ordered it last monday i think? This is in Duval.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Oops, wrong thread

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

King of Bees posted:

Oops, wrong thread

What thread? I'm in Pinellas and haven't gotten mine yet. It's been over a week.

This is what happens when you let Florida people post on the internet.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 26, 2020

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

madeintaipei posted:

Lol.

That whole parking lot is full of scum. Ever go around back of that WM? Big signs telling people not to, but it's too much trouble to take a few turns at 5mph. I've run a stack of product off the trailer and found some rear end in a top hat in a car literally at the bottom of my ramp. You watched me go backwards down this ramp-door with 150lbs of product, coming straight at you. gently caress you, then. I have eight stacks of this poo poo and I'm going to leave them right in front of your car. No, don't back up or anything. Honk at me, that'll do something!

Nope, but I was at Sonic the day a truck caught fire back there. That place is a cesspit, but it's somehow the nicest one around still. The CFA is the only major ballache in that whole complex.

Edit: And I got mine in 3 days. Took less time than my loving library card.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Nope, but I was at Sonic the day a truck caught fire back there. That place is a cesspit, but it's somehow the nicest one around still. The CFA is the only major ballache in that whole complex.

Edit: And I got mine in 3 days. Took less time than my loving library card.

Hmmm. I'm starting to worry.

Bees meant to share that with the Florida thread, btw.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Platystemon posted:

The statement was “they treat their employees ‘ok’”.

A day of rest is a fine thing to appreciate, but it’s not them treating their employees.

This talk does have me curious about how they handle Jews and Muslims who cannot work on Saturday or Friday. I haven’t heard anything about that one way or the other.

e: Googled it, still don’t know, but I did find Jewish and Catholic editorial writers buying CFA gift cards to own the libs. It’s probably a good sign that a court case didn’t come up.

I dunno man, I guess you had better jobs than I did as a teenager. A guaranteed day off every week and not-minimum wage would've qualified as "ok."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

yeah, guaranteed weekend day sounds pretty dope to 17 year old me

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

I dunno man, I guess you had better jobs than I did as a teenager. A guaranteed day off every week and not-minimum wage would've qualified as "ok."

I worked in a red as gently caress state as a teen, but even my comparatively weak union meant one day off per week unless you got 1.5x pay (never happened, cause they could hire extremely part time people to avoid that*) and pay like 80 cents above min wage.

*They hired a bunch of on call 15-year-olds at the union minimum 12 hours/week to cover such gaps as needed.

The day off was not a weekend day.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

mlmp08 posted:

I worked in a red as gently caress state as a teen, but even my comparatively weak union meant one day off per week unless you got 1.5x pay (never happened, cause they could hire extremely part time people to avoid that*) and pay like 80 cents above min wage.

*They hired a bunch of on call 15-year-olds at the union minimum 12 hours/week to cover such gaps as needed.

The day off was not a weekend day.

Lol you had unions... those must have been nice.

Grew up in FL, the high school jobs were very much gently caress you here’s your shift. CFA was a dream gig for 17 yr old me because of that one day off meaning I could party Saturday night.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The union I mentioned does operate in Florida. Both the state I worked in and Florida are right to work, but still have some unions.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
When I was in fast food I would have hated getting Sundays off because Sunday was easy mode. Sunday night is reliably the slowest night of the week every week.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If you want a day to Get poo poo Done, having a day off during the week owns. If you want a day to actually spend time with normal people, a weekend day off is basically required.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
As a part of the East Coast snobby elite I can prove that Royal Farms chicken blows anything Chick Fil A makes out of the water while also being dirt cheap.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Liquid Communism posted:

When I was in fast food I would have hated getting Sundays off because Sunday was easy mode. Sunday night is reliably the slowest night of the week every week.
Sunday nights were great. gently caress Sunday morning/early afternoon though. Both when I worked for the clown and later when I bagged for a local grocery the post-church crowd were some of the worst people I ever had to serve. Not all of them of course, but there was a very high probability that the shittiest customer of any given week would arrive some time between 10 AM and 1 PM on Sunday.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wild T posted:

As a part of the East Coast snobby elite I can prove that Royal Farms chicken blows anything Chick Fil A makes out of the water while also being dirt cheap.

A fellow man of refinement.

Plus, Western Fries.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wild T posted:

I feel like every region has a chain or local group for fried chicken that blows away the national chains. In Houston we have Frenchy's, which is fantastic. Same is true for burgers, pizza, etc - the thing you get with the major franchise chains is an expectation of consistency. That's of course never true, but I can understand why people would still want the relative safety in knowing what they're getting from Chick-fil-A vs. rolling the dice on *insert fried chicken place here*

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, the blowback from potentially undercooked chicken is pretty nasty. I don't blame anyone for sticking to what they know.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And for big chains, the Popeyes chicken sandwich is better than Chick-Fil-A now anyway.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So I've been working my way through the 50 Foot Ant stories on nothotbutspicy.com and, if you read any of his stories, read 50FA's 3rd story. It's purestrain, uncut, Cold War Bullshit: decommissioning a 1950s vintage Continuity of Government bunker. Sized for 6000 people and the motor pool and artillery battery to match. That's on a mountain. In winter. That should give away the gist of the story right there. But there's some wild poo poo down there and, oh man, 50FA does not like the loving CIA. Not one bit.

He needs an editor and an agent, these stories would clean up real good. I mean gently caress, why hasn't someone from Baen found him and started piling cash in front of him until he signs a deal ?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Is it him or helper monkey that is dead? Because if it's him, there's one possibility why

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite part is just enough of some of them ring true enough. Like, 1/3 of the stort is total bullshit- but completely believable bullshit. What's that quote? "Every war story is a true war story?"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bulletsponge13 posted:

My favorite part is just enough of some of them ring true enough. Like, 1/3 of the stort is total bullshit- but completely believable bullshit. What's that quote? "Every war story is a true war story?"

I like to use a paraphrase of Neil Gaiman - it didn't necessarily actually happen, but it's still true.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Can somebody give a rundown on 50 foot ant? I've heard his name mentioned and seen various parts of stories, but what is his story? As somebody said above, enough of it rings true that it can't be total fiction, but what is his purported background? How much is real?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
50 foot ant is a thoughtform dreamt up by the collective goon unconscious

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

D-Pad posted:

Can somebody give a rundown on 50 foot ant? I've heard his name mentioned and seen various parts of stories, but what is his story? As somebody said above, enough of it rings true that it can't be total fiction, but what is his purported background? How much is real?

So iirc about 6 or 7 years ago the idiots thread was mainly driven by posts from 50FA regaling us with stories of his antics in the 80s Cold War era Army mostly in EUCOM AOR.

Really the appeal of his stories were in how well he painted the 80s Army as a bloated force of Joe fuckery that was eagerly awaiting the day the balloons went up, but had no real day to day mission.

Im too young and not versed in the army enough to know whether its bullshit or not but its funnier to think its a slight embellishment of actual Army bullshit

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Speaking of this 3rd 50FA story, I grew up in a small Texas town in the middle of nowhere about 2.5 hours outside Dallas. Outside of town near a small highway there is supposedly some sort of underground bunker. Most people don't even know it is there, but if you know where to look you can tell there really is some kind of entrance to something underground. There are air exhaust pipes (I don't know how to describe them better than that) coming out of the ground in the area and other "something is underground here" type stuff. I never could find anybody who knew anything about it other than one old timer who claimed it was a "hard site" (as 50FA calls them in the story) for the federal reserve in Dallas with paper backups of everything in case of a nuclear war that was built in the 50s.

I have always wanted to go explore it to see what the hell it is. Even if that story is bullshit there is really no reason for anything at all to be underground in that part of Texas so it has to be something interesting. Anyway, that's my story.

Edit: How would someone go about researching and potentially finding out about something like that? I suppose one could look up land records for that spot to see what the official record says and go from there?