Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lady Demelza posted:

There's no way University students can stay in halls over Christmas. You think Universities, having been royally screwed financially, can lay on Christmas dinner for 3000 and simply absorb the costs from the fees already paid? If the halls are catered accommodation, then there're no facilities for students to cook their own food and very limited space to store anything. Kitchenettes are only for making tea and toast, not three meals a day for every single resident.

I dont know for sure but feels like catered halls is pretty rare? Like only the posho oxbridge and the like places?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Not so much in a slide towards fascism now as a divebomb while doing a flip.

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1309904267143262215?s=19

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dont know for sure but feels like catered halls is pretty rare? Like only the posho oxbridge and the like places?

We had catered halls at Nottingham. I think maybe half of the 13 or so?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Goes without saying but Paul Dacre is a reprehensible choice for ofcom. Paul Dacre should be in prison.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I worked as a kitchen porter in one of the catered halls during my undergrad and why the gently caress anyone would pay extra to eat that greasy prison food three times a day is entirely beyond me.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
catered halls are absolutely a thing in every uni which has its own campus beyond "a few buildings in the centre of town"

a lot of people just can't/don't want to cook

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

Rhodes attitude is probably best summed up in his speech introducing the Glen Grey Act that was deliberately structured to remove common traditional land titles to create a native labour surplus to benefit white commercial farmers:
The problem with Rhodes and his ilk is that they've decided to believe something that's patently false, like the innate superiority of the Anglo-Saxon race, and were prepared to hammer the world flat for it to be true, so when Black African people don't much like your idea for them to be in perpetual servitude for your benefit, you're left with increasingly severe repression and eventually, if his great White Africa project were to succeed, genocide.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Apartheid South Africa being a white country for white people built on excluding blacks and isolating whites but completely reliant on a captive labour force composed of Black Africans was something Govan Mbeki, one of the bigger theory heads in the ANC, continually emphasised in this writigs
This was constantly being made as a talking point around the end of apartheid, that it wasn't about segregation but labour exploitation.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not so much in a slide towards fascism now as a divebomb while doing a flip.

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1309904267143262215?s=19
loving Dacre, the editor of a newspaper you can't even cite as a source for Wikipedia, is going to be deciding what news is fake and what isn't?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think most campus-based universities will have at least one, and the meals are usually included in the price upfront. There's quite a few undergrad/international/disabled students who find it reassuring to spend at least the first year knowing that they're not going to starve. It's usually only breakfast and evening meal, and it's really not posh. I used to work in a university with a staff canteen, and the hot lunch option was basically what the students were getting for the evening meal. There was always a baked potato with pre-grated cheese from a bag, always fish and chips on a Friday, always a vat of baked beans with a skin forming on them.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1309913779916898304?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1309917263110246400?s=19

"Gay marriage is like loving a dog" BBC Chairman.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i miss the uncaring incompetent malice of the coalition years

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

How far we've fallen.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

i miss the uncaring incompetent malice of the coalition years

Did joke recently with my folks that "god it makes you long for the halcyon days of Theresa May" and them just sighing & nodding. Boris sure is special in that mix of incompetence, stupidity & malice. Next level poo poo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No. At Glasgow you're paying about £10/week more for the catered Hall than the non-catered ones. Which isn't nothing but you could easily end up spending more than that on a weekly shop. Edinburgh Uni also has 1 catered hall

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 26, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Did joke recently with my folks that "god it makes you long for the halcyon days of Theresa May" and them just sighing & nodding. Boris sure is special in that mix of incompetence, stupidity & malice. Next level poo poo

Well you've got Starmer as a choice so the chance to go back to that is still real.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

Well you've got Starmer as a choice so the chance to go back to that is still real.

Keith will never win an election

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

loving Dacre, the editor of a newspaper you can't even cite as a source for Wikipedia, is going to be deciding what news is fake and what isn't?

Future BBC Newscaster: "And that was a proclamation from our Leader on the success of Brexit. Now the response from the degenerate, depraved, dispicable, and obvious sexual deviant, the Leader of the Opposition.'

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Boris has backed down from the 1922 bunch o'cunts and will be allowing a vote on the Rule of 6. Kiss goodbye to any management (and i'm laughing as I type that) of the response.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

No. At Glasgow you're paying about £10/week more for the catered Hall than the non-catered ones. Which isn't nothing but you could easily end up spending more than that on a weekly shop. Edinburgh Uni also has 1 catered hall

Fair enough didn't realise it was so common, wasn't available at my campus uni or others I've had dealings with aside from cambridge. And yes catered halls do seem like they would be less likely to have the students stay outside of normal term times.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Fair enough didn't realise it was so common, wasn't available at my campus uni or others I've had dealings with aside from cambridge. And yes catered halls do seem like they would be less likely to have the students stay outside of normal term times.

Certainly at Nottingham the catered halls were used outside term times for things like conferences so we all had to clear out.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Got a feeling catered halls is a Russell Group thing.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1309907164560060416?s=19

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

At an Oxbridge college you eat in your college dining hall. Choice of informal hall or formal where you have to wear your gown and you get waited on by college staff.

Edit: food is still institutional grade though.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 26, 2020

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Catered halls are a feature at loads of universities and it’s definitely not a posh thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm the "kind regards" left when the boot leaves a student's face

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

finally a non-fash use for μολὼν λαβέ

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1309916423775547392?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

finally a non-fash use for μολὼν λαβέ

I feel conflicted about being able to actually read that without looking it up. On the one hand, woo I can parse the greek alphabet well enough, on the other, I already know the phrase and that's a bit depressing. Thank you for the minor burst of emotion either way!

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

forkboy84 posted:

It's £60 more a week per this - https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/fees/. Which is pretty appalling, given that's just poor quality breakfast and dinner.

I do find it surprising how easily ripped off students are in these flats - you pay more for a shared bedroom in Glasgow than you would for an entire one bedroom tenement not particularly far from the uni in an alright area, and I gather it's the same in other cities.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Everyone involved in student accommodation, the unis, the landlords, the property developers, is on a grift that at no point involves the interests of the students. So you get tiny flats at high prices in poo poo locations, that you're all but forced to rent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1309927145750355969?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its truly impressive that the bar was already low for what i expected from starmer and he's still got nowhere near it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
look you all complain but what if corbyn had won. we'd be dealing from the horrific fallout of an arguably overambitious broadband infrastructure scheme. and diane abbot would be on the telly and would say words with her annoying woman voice. you should be thankful

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Angepain posted:

look you all complain but what if corbyn had won. we'd be dealing from the horrific fallout of an arguably overambitious broadband infrastructure scheme. and diane abbot would be on the telly and would say words with her annoying woman voice. you should be thankful

if corbyn had won he would have been removed by the military after five covid deaths

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crossposting re: rhodeschat and also it feels extremely british somehow.

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CharlemagnumPI/status/1309874867328692226

Guys I haven’t been putting heredity on my resumes is that the problem

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 26, 2020

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

bump_fn posted:

if corbyn had won he would have been removed by the military after five covid deaths

Yeah I can see huge anti-mask and anti-lockdown protests happening circa late April - early May as well, and BUTCHER CORBYN REFUSES TO RESIGN AS DEATH TOLL REACHES 100 headlines by the mail happining in this parallel universe

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i used the reality stone to look into 14,000,605 futures and in all but one jaremoy corben reduces the earth to jam in a grey goo scenario

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

OwlFancier posted:

Crossposting re: rhodeschat and also it feels extremely british somehow.

We once had someone who decided to list their entire work history from 1997 to present (including like, 3 months at Tesco stacking shelves) when applying for a senior test analyst position but christ imagine listing your IQ

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Problem is the students most likely signed away their freedom to do this.
I would assume there is a clause that defamatory posters, flags, signs, etc are not allowed.
If not, then gently caress them.

Back in my boomer early years we just put up 'Take me to your dealer' alien smoking joints and Sandra Bullock posters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would like to be jam, being jam sounds nice, you just sit in a jar and chill.

Make me into jam and put me in a cellar somewhere.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I thought this was some in-game art for a sequel to Frost Punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Labour actually led a poll?

Boris must be *really* loving it.