Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fingerless Gloves posted:

When Butcher was buying a dog toy for Terror, they had plushie versions of the 7 on the shelf and The Deeps one was on clearance

That bothered me because it was clearly in a Shoppers Drug Mart.

Stormfront's Nazi box has a Hitler Youth Knife in it too, in case you have any doubts.

GD_American posted:

(obviously reading from phone in hand) "The swastika continues to be used as a symbol of good luck and prosperity in Hindu and Buddhist countries such as Nepal, India, Mongolia, China and Japan. It is also commonly used in Hindu marriage ceremonies."

I"m just really into mystical symbols! Yea, if you're a white guy you shouldn't be getting non white symbols tattoo'd on you, especially ones that are cooped by racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

twistedmentat posted:

That bothered me because it was clearly in a Shoppers Drug Mart.

Stormfront's Nazi box has a Hitler Youth Knife in it too, in case you have any doubts.

I"m just really into mystical symbols! Yea, if you're a white guy you shouldn't be getting non white symbols tattoo'd on you, especially ones that are cooped by racists.

Who would look at the last episode and still have doubts about her Nazi ties? Certainly not me. They literally spell it out for you.

In case you didn't know, Aya Cash is of Jewish heritage by way of her father (Aya means hawk in Hebrew), so it makes her portrayal of a Nazi ranting about racial purity just that much more chilling. Here's an article where she discusses it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2020/09/the-boys-season-2-aya-cash-stormfront-secret-spoilers-1234588496/amp/

Here's an interesting little snippet from the article. Hmm mm.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 26, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These are levels of posting through it heretofore thought impossible

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bioshuffle posted:

Nope. Recognized the Swastika right away. Especially as a history buff with an interest in WWII.

The Nazis had a big interest in the occult, and they also were interested in the idea of creating super soldiers.

Makes for an interesting read. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/65788-world-war-ii-nazis-methamphetamines.html

oh word?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey remember that scene with A-Train giving a sad goodbye monologue to the Homelander stunt double...

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1309645136486375430

haaahaahahaahah gently caress me

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hank rules and is a true gamer. Max Respek

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bioshuffle posted:

a history buff with an interest in WWII.

lol of course you are

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

itry posted:

Something tells me that if Homelander ever finds his birth parents he'll kill them on sight for letting him go through his awful childhood.
I assumed he was a test tube baby.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

FWIW, this scene really stuck out in my mind specifically because it seemed really well handled: Frenchie is promoting it because he wants trans strippers, and MM literally says "thanks man, strippers just aren't my thing, with or without nuts" and then we get another amazing MM moment when his eyes light up thinking of spending a week golfing.

I am Bi and having my favorite character in the show and the one who I respond to the most being Bi makes me feel SO GOOD! Seeing him in a weird drug-fueled throuple was awesome and i forgive the show for absolutely wasting him for the last 2 episodes, this payoff was very Frenchie-centric and it was great.

Yeah, I personally thought it was playful and fun and put Frenchie and MM as equals and this as just a matter of preference, the joke being more on MM for being uptight and Frenchie for teasing his limits and tastes. But I can also really understand where previous posters are coming from that it makes it also seem kinda like that must be an undesirable thing. We could talk all day about authorial intent but either way I do think I can totally see why it'd make some people a little uncomfortable and since it isn't necessary to the narrative may be better to just skip that bit.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Episode 7 peek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNdxwYHGI18

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

Giggling like an idiot right now thinking of bioshuffle watching this episode and having his mind blown by the reveal, googling “backwards pinwheel wedding photo!?!” to sus out the mysterious symbol above the Voughts

Y'all, Bioshuffle's posts were bad enough. We really don't need y'all making up fictitious strawmen bioshuffle posts too. Can we just move on from this?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Homelander dropping "MY GIRLFRIEND" in there. He is a true Goon at heart.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Not sure how close they've gone so far with name/content combo, but this is the title for the "Butcher backstory" comic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This is pretty terrifying. But I guess the good news is (should this be spoiler'd? Probably) After this, Becca should now be on board with running away with Butcher. She can't stay here any more, whatever potential safety she had is definitely gone.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Well poo poo, that instantly kills one of my theories. Still, this is amusing and a development I didn't see...developing this way, so I'm excited.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I wouldn't exactly call it subtle, also the dude was completely in the right. The best case scenario is that he gets stranded in the middle of nowhere with no car, and there is a non-zero chance he just gets straight up killed.

I mean he pulls a gun instead of give up his car, and as a result he does get killed. I guess you could read it that he was "completely in the right" to do so, but the fact that the show writers make him say "this is a stand-your-ground state" before getting one-shotted implies he pulled the gun because politicians told him that's what he should do, and it gets him killed.

EDIT: Slightly disappointed Butcher couldn't handle it like he handles a gun pointed at him in the comic (takes the gun, crumples it up in his V-enhanced fist, and says "Glock's a wanker's gun, son".

jabby fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 26, 2020

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Lobster God posted:

A book which explicitly states the origin of the word :psyduck:
I listened to the audio-book during a 12 hour car drive. I guess I missed that part. Thank you thread for informing me though, I have learned the errors of my ways.
Great way to hear the story BTW. The audiobook feels just like you are listening to an NPR newscast.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

jabby posted:

I mean he pulls a gun instead of give up his car, and as a result he does get killed. I guess you could read it that he was "completely in the right" to do so, but the fact that the show writers make him say "this is a stand-your-ground state" before getting one-shotted implies he pulled the gun because politicians told him that's what he should do, and it gets him killed.

EDIT: Slightly disappointed Butcher couldn't handle it like he handles a gun pointed at him in the comic (takes the gun, crumples it up in his V-enhanced fist, and says "Glock's a wanker's gun, son".
There's also some possibly unintentional message in that the guy carries a gun with him at all times for self protection and it's ok, but the moment he sees Butcher carries one too it must be because they intend to rob him and that's where it escalated.

I say unintentional because Butcher and Starlight were going to end up robbing him whether they had a gun or not, so he was actually right, though he likely would have been alive at the end if he hadn't spotted it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I dont think its appropriate for the story, so I hope they don't do it, but at some point I thought: what if Stormfront's power is power absorption through killing supes, and she's grooming Homelander for lunch and the super secret objectives Vought is transhumanism via consumption.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Annie can take a 50 caliber round to the chest but they cab just cut i to her skin and take out a tracker?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah the message is a bit weird, cause the writers have him give out the "stand your ground" line which puts him immediately in bad guy territory, but they actually make him react as a non gung-ho person for the whole interaction. He doesn't pull a gun until after Butcher has told him he is going to steal his car, has threatened him ("have it your way" while laying Hughie down to clearly prepare for a confrontation) and shows himself as being armed. The line before is the driver saying "I'll drive you to an hospital" even if he already knew they were lying to him about being law enforcement.

Someone mentioned this being a real contrast to the juvenile use of violence in the MCU (where a protagonist could deal with an armed regular person without any risk for either themselves or the armed person)...and I can really see someone being killed NO MATTER WHAT at the point the situation was escalated. The thing is, the situation is escalated by our heroes to the point the driver feels the need to pull a gun in the first place. It's a lovely situation cause they want to save Hughie and they are on the lam to boot, but they are not morally in the clear.

It's a surprisingly interesting take on a scene (heroes need car, carjack a random person, nothing bad happens aside for someone being out of a car) that we've seen a thousand times with a different resolution in macho/action/superhero movies. And the bad conclusion happens specifically because our heroes go the macho route.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 26, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So Annie can take a 50 caliber round to the chest but they cab just cut i to her skin and take out a tracker?

Frenchie had made that extra fancy blade to try to cut Translucent.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It took a bit for it to cut too - just sustained where as the bullet bounces off on its one tick. Didn't someone here post you can stab thru kevlar?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

We're all assuming Stormfront is a the majority share holder of Vought right?

Some people are. I assume it will be whatever the writers need it to be. It's a publically traded company after all. Personally I'll assume that she has some shares, but doesn't have the majority of them. I trust the show will address it and why Mr Edgar put her on The Seven later.

Bust Rodd posted:

100% there's no way she would give up control of her husband's company, it just wouldn't happen under normal greedy circumstances, but who is gonna stop her?

Why would she wait so long to start trying to manipulate Homelander if she was in charge this whole time?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's a diamond-tooth surgical saw, which are real things.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why would she wait so long to start trying to manipulate Homelander if she was in charge this whole time?

The only thing I can think of was maybe Stillwell's death caused her to start paying closer attention?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Homelander dropping "MY GIRLFRIEND" in there. He is a true Goon at heart.

No longer seeking a boyfriend free girl!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Watching Cobra Kai alongside The Boys and it just dawned on me now that Stillwell is Ali from The Karate Kid.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bip Roberts posted:

Speculation for later in the season:

I assume the show is repeatability reminding the viewers that Starlights power is connected with electricity so that there can be a fight where Homelander fails to defeat Stormfront but Starlight can.

My guess is the opposite: Starlight will be kicking her rear end, then homelander will drop in behind her and just punch a hole through her sternum or something to everyone's horror.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

It took a bit for it to cut too - just sustained where as the bullet bounces off on its one tick. Didn't someone here post you can stab thru kevlar?

I think that’s more of a construction thing for your typical Kevlar vest though, because they also make Kevlar cut gloves.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jabby posted:

Pretty sure he didn't go grab the gun out of his glovebox until Butcher, blatantly lying about being FBI, shows him his gun. At this point he could make an educated guess that these people are going to murder him on the side of a back country road.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's an accident since it's in Butcher's waistband, but yeah. Butcher only draws after the guy draws.

Edit: I don't think they're trying to make any kind of political statement though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 26, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

It's an accident since it's in Butcher's waistband, but yeah. Butcher only draws after the guy draws.

I'll have to go back and watch, I thought Butcher intentionally showed it as a threat. Either way, they straight up murdered a dude.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

That's my take as well - Butcher does nothing to defuse the situation, starts with an implausible lie and goes straight full macho.

I'm repeating myself here, but the guy literally offers to drive the clearly lying trio to a hospital moments before and gets a "no, we'll take your car" as an answer, followed by Butcher clearly preparing for a confrontation by laying Hughie down while saying "have it your way" AND he then sees Butcher being armed. That's the moment he goes and pulls out his gun, which is probably the kind of situation you buy a gun for, if you are the type of person who buys a gun.

It's interesting cause they could have probably pulled a gun on the driver first (as soon as he gets out of the car) and no one would have died. Which is probably the same thing the driver himself thought ("I'll pull a gun, they gently caress off, I drive away"), but Butcher keeps pushing the situation so much that Annie is forced to intervene and ends up killing the guy.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 26, 2020

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Some people are. I assume it will be whatever the writers need it to be. It's a publically traded company after all. Personally I'll assume that she has some shares, but doesn't have the majority of them. I trust the show will address it and why Mr Edgar put her on The Seven later.

I don't believe that Stormfront actually has any day to day business power in the company, it wouldn't surprise me if a board pretty much runs everything and ownership was bought out long ago. Makes more sense to be the way just like so many businesses are these days. She's likely well taken care of and provided for due to her status which is likely a well kept secret and she has a role in the company albeit again kept a secret from most. Probably how she managed to get on the Seven if she decided now was the time to push her own agenda, she would only need to make a small fuss, point out there was an opening and it would be done, no ownership required.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

don't pull a gun unless you're going to use it :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They could have just taken his extremely generous offer to drive them to a hospital and not murdered him

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

They could have just taken his extremely generous offer to drive them to a hospital and not murdered him

Yeah... that’s the part that threw me a bit. He legit offered to drive them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yep, but that's not Butcher's style.

But its not like Starlight flipped out and murdered him intentionally, she was just trying to knock him down / stun him, so they could take the car or maybe take his gun and leave. Which is even something that she's done before.

Him dying as a result of using violence to solve problems is the whole core of the problem with superheroes™ that violence is just inherently unpredictable. The same applies to Butcher shooting people / blowing up babies of course. Which, the whole point of that scene was they're not so different.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

tbf he looked like a narc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

yeah im not sure letting him drive a rogue superhero, wanted terrorist, and guy dying of internal bleeding would be a good idea