Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What did the author of Legend of Galactic Heroes ever do to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

multijoe posted:

I'm not saying it was a major reason for his failure as to finish the project, but it is an insight into how slapdash and unfocused his management of the game was. Like it seems one of the many, many terrible business decisions Square kept making through the late 2000s and 2010s was giving all of their choicest plums to this one guy who clearly does not seem to have the skillset to run a large scale AAA project in any reasonable timeframe.

I mean before Versus XIII I think all his games were coming out on time and everything. Yeah sounds like Versus XIII was a total mess under his leadership and him directing 2 of Square's biggest games at the same time was almost certainly a real bad idea and a contributing factor to all the delays but those were hardly the only Square Enix projects in the 2010s that had huge production issues and 7R even ended up being an incredibly good game.

I definitely agree that Versus XIII was a failure but I don't think that its part of a larger trend with his management or anything. Though I guess I can see what people were saying about him phoning it in some times because a lot of the KH side games where he was the main director feel pretty half-assed.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Given that SE was a mess throughout the early HD era and specifically had two major FF fiascos that needed to be fixed or recouped, we barely saw any footage of Versus 13 besides CG cutscenes and basic gameplay clips, and the fact that Nomura directed multiple other games to completion between v13's announcement and rebranding, I've always taken it to be that v13 was never in development for any significant amount of time due to lack of resources and find it hard to pin anything on Nomura specifically, especially after KH3 and FF7 were pretty normal projects. The latter had the outsourcing issue, but so did Metroid Prime 4, and at least FF7 is a game that exists beyond a logo.

Additionally XV has basically nothing to do with v13 besides recycled names and designs. If you look at the announcement for even the rebrand it's basically all reused Versus footage or other stuff that got thrown out by the time it was shown off properly as a roadtrip game, and even then they overhauled the gameplay a ton between the Type-0 demo and final. That's the nuttiest thing about v13/XV to me: SE made tabata and co. cobble together an open-world game in a relatively short amount of time and made it wear the skin of what was basically a scrapped game pitch at that point in what I guess was a massive case of sunk cost fallacy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

anyway if you want to know what actual bad leadership in JRPGs looks like and what happens as a result: look at former Tales producer Baba, who led years of troubled games until Zestiria finally led to him leaving and a fan-favorite being made in the vacuum (and a very pointed counter to Zesty at that), after which he went to SE and tried to start a new studio and Zestiria-looking game only to fail and leave again

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't have any strong opinions about Nomura, but I do know this with all of my soul:

Les Mis FFXV would have been awesome.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
SE post, like, FF12 has been a mess of development nightmares. While I'm sure Nomura has been involved in plenty of those, it's really more like a corporate problem than a director problem.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more games should be musicals

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hwurmp posted:

more games should be musicals

Are any games musicals?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there are games with musical numbers but I'm not sure that counts

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CottonWolf posted:

Are any games musicals?

gitaroo man

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hwurmp posted:

I don't think so. The only true musical game I know of isn't out yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CottonWolf posted:

Are any games musicals?

The new Kingdom Hearts game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hwurmp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHgRlsOvN3M

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CottonWolf posted:

Are any games musicals?

Rhapsody

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol I can't believe people are still trotting out this joke he said one time as proof that he's a terrible director who ruins everything

Yeah, I still can't tell if this was just an off hand comment of him being inspired for the future Final Fantasy games or if he was actually making everyone sweep all their computers and tablets and etc- I have no idea how game development works, I don't know what they use- and making them start from scratch.

I'm still confused regardless though. Why would Nomura make all the Final Fantasy games bad on purpose rather than good? Is it spite?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked but didn't love Disgaea 1, but 4 and 5 are on sale on the Switch and I feel like getting one. Is there a strong reason to get one over the other (like is one of them "the bad one" or whatever)?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean the only one i think people will ever actively tell you to avoid is disgaea 3

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

5 is the better game so if you were gonna play just one of the two, that'd be the pick.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

CottonWolf posted:

Are any games musicals?

Wandersong, aka one of my favorite games ever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wish I liked wandersong. I was so excited to play it and then stopped playing during the tutorial area.

For truly terrible devs look at Michael Ancel who sucked to work for and couldnt get a game made over 17 years

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Sakurazuka posted:

What did the author of Legend of Galactic Heroes ever do to you?

didn't kill Poplin off

also: are the ar tonelico games musicals

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leraika posted:

didn't kill Poplin off

also: are the ar tonelico games musicals

no

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sometimes

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

i mean the only one i think people will ever actively tell you to avoid is disgaea 3

What was wrong with 3?

kirbysuperstar posted:

5 is the better game so if you were gonna play just one of the two, that'd be the pick.

I doubt I'll play both so I'll go for 5 I guess!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

What was wrong with 3?

Bad story, reprehensible main character that never grows at all and garbage mechanics (magichange version 1 oh my god why is it so bad)

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

The Colonel posted:

i don't think nomura has actually directed a lot of non-kingdom hearts games besides like, x, 7r and, for a portion of its life, xv. and like i dunno how much you can blame him for production issues on xv or ff7r because holy loving poo poo those were made in an era where someone at square enix almost thought hiring the producer of tales of zestiria to make a video game was a good idea, they were making tons of bad decisions throughout the 2010s and there's no way literally all of them were nomura's fault

and like. ffx was kinda janky but. as a game it was mostly like, fine. had some pretty solid ideas that it executed decently overall. given that, idk, i'd be much more in a hurry to blame square's history of absurd approaches to game production that we've heard stories of through like, monolithsoft staff talking about how since they took all their experience from working at square years ago xenoblade pretty much resulted in them having to relearn how to even structure game dev in a sane way

Point of order, but FFX was directed by Yoshinori Kitase. I don't think Nomura has a credit on it other than as character artist.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

JagerNinja posted:

Point of order, but FFX was directed by Yoshinori Kitase. I don't think Nomura has a credit on it other than as character artist.

ah, yeah i misread one of his credits

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

perc2 posted:

I suspect there will be a lot of potentially janky or weird things as they probably invested a lot of time overhauling the engine for 3D or going with a completely new one - I noticed at high levels the SP cost for skills doesn't fit on the screen but I guess at that level you just eyeball most things anyway.
When your numbers are in the hundreds of trillions, the five most significant digits should be enough for anybody.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait but how many joules of crime energy did Nomura contribute to Third Birthday being terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtQuslTG9yg

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Hwurmp posted:

which of the Atelier games would be best for me, a blind nun

If you're not violently opposed to turn limits and you're not the kind of person who just absolutely refuses to play a series out of order (eg me), I would probably say Meruru or maybe Totori. (Yes, you'll miss some references but it's not critical. Mereru is arguably improved by not realizing how returning characters have devolved...)

Ryza is probably the most approachable for someone new to the series but also in many ways feels more like a traditional save the world JRPG than an Atelier game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't play Totori unless you're sure you love Atelier. It's the jankiest modern atelier cause it never got a remake, just ports

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 27, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Totori was weird because a lot of it was extremely unfun to actually play, but I wound up being far more engaged with it than Rorona because it had Mimi and an actual, like, plot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Totori's cast is great bit the actual game is pretty tough.

I'd say it's in the same camp as Firis though Totori is the better of the two.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

perc2 posted:

Disgaea 6 TGS gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXQHgx4Sr8

I don't really have much opinion on the 3D as really it's a smart move from a financial & development standpoint. Working with models allows you to do a lot of things far easier and quicker than having to draw sprite animation frames or whatever, and I expect it'll allow for some really cool camera freedom in the future. The fade to black loading screen is a bit annoying, but let's face it, after a couple of watches you're likely to skip anims.

The auto-battle looks interesting, it will repeat the level indefinitely; but it could also be implying, along with the stat increases that post-game grind is going to get even worse. On the other hand, they did say they were trying to offer stuff for both hardcore and casual audiences so who knows...

I suspect there will be a lot of potentially janky or weird things as they probably invested a lot of time overhauling the engine for 3D or going with a completely new one - I noticed at high levels the SP cost for skills doesn't fit on the screen but I guess at that level you just eyeball most things anyway.

wow im surprised, i think those models actually look pretty good even compared to the sprite design. thats like the first time ive thought a rpg series switching from sprites to models was well executed lol

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Motto posted:

Given that SE was a mess throughout the early HD era and specifically had two major FF fiascos that needed to be fixed or recouped, we barely saw any footage of Versus 13 besides CG cutscenes and basic gameplay clips, and the fact that Nomura directed multiple other games to completion between v13's announcement and rebranding, I've always taken it to be that v13 was never in development for any significant amount of time due to lack of resources and find it hard to pin anything on Nomura specifically, especially after KH3 and FF7 were pretty normal projects. The latter had the outsourcing issue, but so did Metroid Prime 4, and at least FF7 is a game that exists beyond a logo.

Additionally XV has basically nothing to do with v13 besides recycled names and designs. If you look at the announcement for even the rebrand it's basically all reused Versus footage or other stuff that got thrown out by the time it was shown off properly as a roadtrip game, and even then they overhauled the gameplay a ton between the Type-0 demo and final. That's the nuttiest thing about v13/XV to me: SE made tabata and co. cobble together an open-world game in a relatively short amount of time and made it wear the skin of what was basically a scrapped game pitch at that point in what I guess was a massive case of sunk cost fallacy.

Ding ding ding, people found out that one of the staff on v13 had been openly talking about work on his blog and it turns out that for the first 2-4 years of "development" the team consisted entirely of Nomura and two CG artists who basically tossed around ideas and made trailers while waiting for top brass to send some actual programmers their way. Apparently proper development didn't start until FF13 came out in late 2009 and they got a bunch of people from that team, but then they immediately ran into problems when they found out that the FF13 engine they were supposed to use couldn't handle open world environments and was completely unsuitable for what they wanted to make, so instead of working on the game they had to make a whole new AAA game engine first. And then while they were dealing with that the whole FF14 1.0 fiasco happened and reportedly a whole bunch of v13 staff got moved to the ARR team to salvage the company's investments.

So basically yeah, there's no real evidence that v13 ever got past the prototype stage and the reason for that isn't Nomura, it's that they were never given the resources to go anywhere with it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Uhh... Pretty sure you don't make CG trailers with one or two people.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not a major company one no

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Uhh... Pretty sure you don't make CG trailers with one or two people.

http://eijikitada.blogspot.com/2011/05/cgroots.html

Kitada Eiji posted:

また、僕がここで最初に携わったのは、FF13Versus(開発中未発売)のプリプロダクションでした。このプロジェクトのモデリングセクションはP先輩がスーパーバイザーで僕がリードというポジションでした。このプロジェクトのモデリング、レンダリング周りののプリプロは、当時、ほぼ二人だけの作業でしたね。

Translated: "Also, the first project I took part in here was the pre-production of FF13Versus. The modeling team of that project was P-sempai as the supervisor and myself as the lead. At the time, the two of us did basically all the work related to modeling and rendering by ourselves."

Then he goes on to mention that they were also helping out with Advent Children Complete at the same time lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I had no idea Square Enix was Japan's VALVe