Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We make fun of Jesse Plemons for getting fat, but he’s married to Kirsten Dunst so

Kirsten Dunst is #canceled for cultural appropriation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0X3CLJVMJU

Alright maybe not but she's not a very good singer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Roblo posted:

Oh. Bummer. No sex with the aliens then.

You could always settle for a clawjob, which would make an excellent name for a Bond villain

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Isn’t that song about jerking off?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah it’s not about appropriation it’s just racist

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Vulgar posted:

You could always settle for a clawjob, which would make an excellent name for a Bond villain

Well I was more referring to "they probably have crabs" making it risky. But yeh a clawjob works too.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Helith posted:

It took us a while (and reading the credits) to work out that This guy is not a fat Matt Damon.
We still call him fat Matt Damon whenever we see him in something though.

You just reminded me of the old guy who played Walker, Texas Ranger's sidekick, Noble Willingham: AKA Can't Afford Brimley

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

TK-42-1 posted:

I looked it up, and apparently it's not supposed to be.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/the-vapors/turning-japanese

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah it’s not about appropriation it’s just racist

I'm not sure whether or not this makes it ok, but apparently the song did pretty well in Japan. And also the Kirsten Dunst video was produced by this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Murakami

edit: ...who apparently started a whole art movement criticising Japanese pop culture consumerism, otakus, and anime sexualisation. Including making a figurine of a naked anime man jizzing a lasso.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lonesome_Cowboy

That loving owns.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Sep 27, 2020

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

I looked it up, and apparently it's not supposed to be.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/the-vapors/turning-japanese

I'm not sure whether or not this makes it ok, but apparently the song did pretty well in Japan. And also the Kirsten Dunst video was produced by this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Murakami

edit: ...who apparently started a whole art movement criticising Japanese pop culture consumerism, otakus, and anime sexualisation. Including making a figurine of a naked anime man jizzing a lasso.

That loving owns.

He's probably most famous in the states for doing the album art for a pretty good Kanye album.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo, the old timey english word for tefillin ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tefillin ) is loving phylactery. You know, the thing fantasy liches use to stay alive?

Liche, jew, same thing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Eeeeh......

quote:

from Old French filatiere (12c.) and directly from Medieval Latin philaterium, from Late Latin phylacterium "reliquary," from Greek phylacterion "safeguard, amulet; a post for watchmen," noun use of neuter of adjective phylaktērios "serving as a protection," from phylaktēr "watcher, guard," from phylassein "to guard or ward off," from phylax (genitive phylakos) "guardian, watcher, protector," a word of unknown origin; Beekes writes that, based on the suffix -ax, "the word may well be pre-Greek."

They both guard your soul, in a way - and it'd kinda defeat the purpose of a lich's phylactery to go tying it to their person :)

Very odd word choice though. I wouldn't guess it was inspired by his scholarly understanding of Latin.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Holy poo poo, the old timey english word for tefillin ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tefillin ) is loving phylactery. You know, the thing fantasy liches use to stay alive?

Liche, jew, same thing.

This one's not to do with "old timey english", it's because of Gary Gygax using "phylactery" to mean a liche's life force thingy. Although the way we get there does involve some weird othering: mediaeval people thought "phylacteries" were magical and could prevent bad things from happening, which is why we talk about medical prophylaxis or call condoms prophylactics.

Liches as in the dead wizard things were also invented by Gygax; before him it just meant "corpse" (although Clark Ashton Smith uses it for a dead guy brought back to life, iirc). Lich is an old word; the little churchyard gates with roofs are called "lych-gates", and it's also where the title of this song comes from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q88svqsTgYQ

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

That loving owns.

I saw the Murakami exhibit when it came to Dallas, it owned

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
my Thing I Can't Believe I Just Figured Out is either that phylactery and tefillin have been synonyms for a long time, or that fantasy bullshit has conflated tefillin and phylacteries, sorry for incorrectly attributing modern english

quote:

Tefillin (Askhenazic: /ˈtfɪlɪn/; Israeli Hebrew: [tfiˈlin], תְּפִלִּין or תְּפִילִּין) or phylacteries

My thing is that I didn't know the jewish religious practice had ever been connected to the unkillable fantasy creature and had never heard of tefillin referred to as phylacteries, less that I didn't know the etymology of phylactery and liche. Tefillin as I've always known them are where we cover up our horns.

e: I didn't mean to exactly repeat myself but I hope this makes sense.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Sep 27, 2020

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My thing is that I didn't know the jewish religious practice had ever been connected to the unkillable fantasy creature and had never heard of tefillin referred to as phylacteries, less that I didn't know the etymology of phylactery and liche. Tefillin as I've always known them are where we cover up our horns.

e: I didn't mean to exactly repeat myself but I hope this makes sense.

Yeah I get that. I was just burbling on cos the connection is super tenuous, but interesting.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Safety Biscuits posted:

Yeah I get that. I was just burbling on cos the connection is super tenuous, but interesting.

There have been previous fantasy stories involving similar concepts but the lich's use of phylactery were entirely made up by Gary Gygax. It was a conscious decision on his part to tie the evil magic to an obscure term from Judaism.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

rodbeard posted:

There have been previous fantasy stories involving similar concepts but the lich's use of phylactery were entirely made up by Gary Gygax. It was a conscious decision on his part to tie the evil magic to an obscure term from Judaism.

:smith:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wikipedia says:

quote:

The English word "phylactery" ("phylacteries" in the plural) derives from Ancient Greek φυλακτήριον phylaktērion (φυλακτήρια phylaktēria in the plural), meaning "guarded post, safeguard, security", and in later Greek, "amulet" or "charm".[11][12] The word "phylactery" occurs once (in ACC PL) in the Greek New Testament,[13] whence it has passed into the languages of Europe.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tefillin under Etymology. Bear in mind that the New Testament was written in Greek to begin with. (Note that Jews had been wearing tefillin for hundreds of years by that point).

rodbeard posted:

Dang. :smith:

Was he antisemitic in general?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hyperlynx posted:

Wikipedia says:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tefillin under Etymology. Bear in mind that the New Testament was written in Greek to begin with. (Note that Jews had been wearing tefillin for hundreds of years by that point).

Dang. :smith:

Was he antisemitic in general?

Is it antisemetic? I feel like it falls into the same space as walking mummies and whatnot.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

Is it antisemetic? I feel like it falls into the same space as walking mummies and whatnot.

One is from a long-dead culture that is popularly thought of very positively, the other is from a living culture that has a long history of being murdered for (amongst other things) its religious rituals being linked with evil.

I don't think it's enough to say he's the actively hates jews kind of antisemitic but it's pretty inconsiderate at best to tie non-jews' associations of a word used for an extremely holy object to a super evil bad thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm just imagining lich versions of the Orthodox guys who go around New York asking everyone "are you Jewish?"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wouldn't surprise me if he was anti-semitic.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

On the one side, the word 'phylactery' has several meanings outside of Judaism and more than one within D&D, if you really wanna dive deep.

On the other side, the in-game meaning refers specifically to an amulet worn as a ward and was almost definitely inspired by tefillin; using that word for the box an unkillable evil wizard's soul lives in is probably a symptom of something dreadful, yeah.

flakeloaf has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Sep 28, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Len posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if he was anti-semitic.

Idgi. Sounds pretty Old Testament God to me. Unless that's the point you're making?

E:

flakeloaf posted:

I don't have a dog in the race so don't think I'm going to bat for the sainted Gygax, cause if a white guy who was successful in the 70s was rumoured to have a problem Jewish people then yeah, he probably did and gently caress him for it, but the word 'phylactery' has several meanings outside of Judaism and more than one within D&D, if you really wanna dive deep.

I'd be keen to hear examples. I've only ever seen lich-derived ones, myself. Eg https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Implants#Phylactery . I'd be surprised if Daybreak Games even knew Gygax invented it, let alone that it's not merely a "resurrect the (un)dead" thing.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Sep 28, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Today I learned that Howard Cosell is dead. :geno:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperlynx posted:

Idgi. Sounds pretty Old Testament God to me. Unless that's the point you're making?

He referenced a guy known for massacring native Americans as an example of a lawful good paladin

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Len posted:

He referenced a guy known for massacring native Americans as an example of a lawful good paladin

Who? Chivington? I don't know who that is, and I'm not sure he's making that case here.

If you're referring to Custer, that's not actually what he's saying, he's just mentioned him in passing in establishing who Wooden Leg is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperlynx posted:

Who? Chivington? I don't know who that is, and I'm not sure he's making that case here.

If you're referring to Custer, that's not actually what he's saying, he's just mentioned him in passing in establishing who Wooden Leg is.

Yes Chivington. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chivington?wprov=sfla1

Chivington posted:

drat any man who sympathizes with Indians! ... I have come to kill Indians, and believe it is right and honorable to use any means under God's heaven to kill Indians. ... Kill and scalp all, big and little; nits make lice.

He could probably have found a better person to quote to prove that point.

But you're right Gary probably isn't a bad person

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Phlegmish posted:

Kirsten Dunst is #canceled for cultural appropriation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0X3CLJVMJU

Alright maybe not but she's not a very good singer

I never understand how to define cultural appropriation. My father's first language was Croatian. His side of the family is ethnic German. My other side is Norwegian and a mix of Polish and Yankee British. There's some Dutch in there too. I like to sing in Rom. Specifically Hungarian style which is also in my family. I grew up around Finns, Ojibwe, and Slovak ethnic groups.

At this point, as a born and bred American, I'm pretty sure I'm appropriating American culture if I do American things. #cancelled

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

mostlygray posted:

I never understand how to define cultural appropriation.

Are you profiting of another's culture while not including the members of that culture? Youre probably fine singing songs because you like them.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Len posted:

Yes Chivington. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chivington?wprov=sfla1

He could probably have found a better person to quote to prove that point.

But you're right Gary probably isn't a bad person

Right, gotcha.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Today I learned that Howard Cosell is dead. :geno:

He'd be 102 if he wasn't

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Henchman of Santa posted:

He'd be 102 if he wasn't

I somehow thought he was like 75. I wondered if I was mistaking him for someone else, but when I looked him up on Wikipedia (which is how I learned that he was dead), he was indeed the "down goes Frazier" guy.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

mostlygray posted:

I never understand how to define cultural appropriation.

There's a technical definition about whether you're mixing someone else's culture with your own or just borrowing it wholesale but in ~the discourse~ is just means white people doing non-white things.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

I'd be keen to hear examples. I've only ever seen lich-derived ones, myself. Eg https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Implants#Phylactery . I'd be surprised if Daybreak Games even knew Gygax invented it, let alone that it's not merely a "resurrect the (un)dead" thing.

A FR Wiki entry certainly makes it sound as though the lich source is the original, if you approach it while on the hunt for a smoking wand:

quote:

In D&D, a phylactery was first mentioned in relation to a lich in the 1st-edition Monster Manual (1977), but from this it is not clear what the phylactery is or why it is necessary. In 1979, "Blueprint For A Lich" in Dragon #26 first detailed the process of achieving lichdom, but referred instead to a "jar"; it's not clear if this is meant to be the same as the phylactery or not. This jar concept takes after numerous legends and stories of mages and villains who store their souls, hearts, life, or death in some object in order to cheat death. According to research by Buzz, here, the Endless Quest gamebook Lair of the Lich (1985) was the first to link the lich's phylactery to the soul-jar concept, perhaps based on a misunderstanding of what a phylactery is. Since then, the term "phylactery" seems to have become generally associated with liches and soul jars, both within D&D and across fantasy fiction. It wasn't until the 3rd-edition Monster Manual (2000) that the typical lich's phylactery was described in terms inspired by the various real-world historical phylacteries.

In D&D, the term "phylactery" is also used for various magical items worn on the head associated with morale and alignment. See phylactery (religious item) for more information

The article stops generously short of equating the soul jar with the aforementioned-but-conveniently-undescribed phylactery; in this day and age I think it's fair to presume those are one and the same. The Lair of the Lich story is corroborated by RPG Museum, who ascribes the story to prolific fantasy writer Bruce Algozin, a man whom Google tells me isn't associated with accusations of antisemitism.

quote:

Games like D&D often use the term phylactery for soul jars. However, this term also refers to the tefillin, leather boxes that contain script from the Torah and are ceremonial objects in Judaism. As such, using the term for an evil artifact is potentially (if accidentally) anti-Semitic. The term phylactery was first used with respect to liches in the 1st edition Monster Manual in 1977, but at that time it was a passing reference as an item that allowed liches to retain their minds and free will in undeath. The term was tied explicitly to soul jars in an Endless Quest book (choose your own adventure book) called Lair of the Lich by Bruce Algozin

RPGM also claims that the original 1977 D&D phylactery was "a passing reference as an item that allowed liches to retain their minds and free will in undeath", and points out that D&D is the only tabletop RPG to use the word "phylactery" to describe a lich's soul jar.

The other in-universe items called phylacteries (e.g., the Phylactery of Some Desirable Trait) were headbands that people tied around their foreheads to do magic with. The FR Wiki describes exactly as one would describe a real-world Jewish tefillah, before going full-yikes on us:

quote:

Two kinds of phylactery were common. The first were wrappings inscribed with holy text or verses, while the second were small containers of any shape or size (such as a tube or a small black box). They were typically worn tied around the forehead or wrist, or wrapped around the upper arm or thigh. They were usually small enough to concealed in one's hand or about one's person if the wearer feared theft. A phylactery itself typically had no magical and little monetary value. Rather, its value lay in the importance of its contents to the wearer's faith, or its own intrinsic value. However, a number of phylacteries were noted for their magical power. Such magical items were usually worn around the head and were associated with morale and alignment.

Notoriously, liches stored their life-forces or souls in items also called phylacteries. A common form of lich's phylactery resembled the traditional phylactery in some respects, being a box containing strips of parchment bearing magical phrases, but they could really take any form whatsoever

Bruh.

TL;DR, it would appear that Bruce Algozin, while writing the fantasy that inspired TTRPGs and vice-versa, connected the two terms and TSR game designers just ran with it, and somewhere along the lines a soul jar became a box with prayers inside it, literally equating Jewish tefillin with the box that holds the remnant of a usually-evil wizard's soul. I'm not sure where Algozin got the word from or why he chose to use it, but with that out there, I'll guess he wishes he hadn't.

flakeloaf has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Sep 28, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hyperlynx posted:

E:

I'm having a hell of a time sourcing it so it's very possibly made up in my head or entered fiction after D&D. But I thought there folk tales about a Saint's relic affording the Saint secret life. Reliquary being a synonym for phylactery. D&D also noticeably leaning on relics like lich body parts being powerful artifacts.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

rodbeard posted:

The question is whether he did so knowing that it was related to Judaism or just picked a word he didn't know the etymology of. While I find the former depressingly plausible, I'd like to see a source if you're saying it's certain; google isn't helping much.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

See my edit, specifically the part about the polyvalent meaning of 'phylactery' literally defining a lich's soul jar as an object fitting the description of a tefillah

:yikes:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Thank you for that, that's all very interesting.

I had thought it might be coincidence, since (Wikipedia says) phylacteries were just charms in general, in usage in different cultures. And it just so happens that that specific word was used to describe tefillin in the New Testament, and just so happens to be the word picked for the English translation of tefillin itself (cf. "synagogue").

But modelling these D&D charms on the Jewish tefillin specifically is... not great. Even at its kindest interpretation, that would at the very least be cultural appropriation (to tie two thread topics together).

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Now we just need a photo of Kirsten Dunst with a headband that has a picture of Howard Cosell inside.

For content: It's "one AND the same", as in, we count one, then we count and to lead us to another thing, and point at the thing we just counted to draw emphasis to its oneness. "One IN the same", as in, it's a thing contained completely inside of another that is identical, makes no grammatical sense and is a mistake created by poor enunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's weird seeing people give Gygax the benefit of the doubt in this day and age. He's specifically quoting a man whose act of genocide was so barbaric even other outspoken racists of his time criticized him for it and saying that the sentiment is correct. You don't spend your whole life studying history and warfare and then accidentally quote an outspoken white supremacist defending himself after killing an entire village of natives and then carving up their bodies as trophies.