Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
love the car shaped waste product tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Soricidus posted:

love the car shaped waste product tho

thank you for saving the planet!! :blessed: #libthought #consumerpower

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Sagebrush posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1309390263333289986

remember when he said the usa would have zero covid cases by the end of april?

for the good of society, we need to delete social media

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Roosevelt posted:

for the good of society, it was necessary to delete society

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

gschmidl posted:

He posted the bill, more than half of it is work time, the rest is material.

I was going to ask how the hell would you have labor in the thousands to replace a control arm, but then I remember oh yeah it failed so it probably hosed up a huge portion of the car.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
more good news, when you have a catastrophic failure in a control arm like that, when you're crashing or flying through the ditch or whatever there is a very, very high chance that you're overstressing all the _other_ control arms and linkages and bushings too. so now you've taken eight more aluminum aerogel parts way past their stress threshold but its all invisible to a casual inspection

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

more good news, when you have a catastrophic failure in a control arm like that, when you're crashing or flying through the ditch or whatever there is a very, very high chance that you're overstressing all the _other_ control arms and linkages and bushings too. so now you've taken eight more aluminum aerogel parts way past their stress threshold but its all invisible to a casual inspection

i’m sure the tesla service procedures for such an event mandate a thorough examination of the parts in question if not simple preventative replacement. :tesla:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

MomJeans420 posted:

I was going to ask how the hell would you have labor in the thousands to replace a control arm, but then I remember oh yeah it failed so it probably hosed up a huge portion of the car.

Ok, let's see. These are all parts that needed to be replaced...

coming to a total of CHF 2991.15. Add to that labor costs of CHF 4037.50 (an hour apparently costs 210) and VAT, for a total of CHF 7569.90.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SIGSEGV posted:

That's not doing much to get me enraged, and still confused at the stupidity of the extruded car product.

extruded would be a massive improvement (some motorcycle frames, to pick one example, have been made that way since the 80s), this poo poo looks like it was cast in a first-year metalwork class and kept around by the teacher as a demonstration of just how badly somebody who knows nothing about what they're doing can gently caress up

i assume that you could make cast aluminium parts that were good enough for the purpose and they might even be marginally cheaper than forged/extruded/machined because there's a lot less work involved, but also that you'd have to qa the *poo poo* out of them compared to the other methods and musk only heard the first half of that sentence.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
those loving nord lock washers. Yes, they are cool and every C student junior engineer thinks they solve every problem in the world. Of loving course tesla would use them instead of like, castle nuts and poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i assume that you could make cast aluminium parts that were good enough for the purpose and they might even be marginally cheaper than forged/extruded/machined because there's a lot less work involved, but also that you'd have to qa the *poo poo* out of them compared to the other methods and musk only heard the first half of that sentence.

imagine trying to convince musk to buy a $27 million x-ray machine to inspect the load bearing drywall that he's trying to build cars out of

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

gschmidl posted:

coming to a total of CHF 2991.15. Add to that labor costs of CHF 4037.50 (an hour apparently costs 210) and VAT, for a total of CHF 7569.90.

i'm the um. Stundenverrechnungssatz

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm the piss tire

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

extruded would be a massive improvement (some motorcycle frames, to pick one example, have been made that way since the 80s), this poo poo looks like it was cast in a first-year metalwork class and kept around by the teacher as a demonstration of just how badly somebody who knows nothing about what they're doing can gently caress up

yeah it's really baffling because casting aluminum is a solved problem and has been for half a century. "alloy" wheels are all cast aluminum and only the absolute cheapest garbage ones ever fail in use.

you have to design the part correctly, probably oversize it somewhat because casting is inherently weaker than forging etc, but there is no inherent reason that you couldn't make a suitably strong cast control arm.

you cannot simply take a part that was designed for forging and make a sand mold of it and cast it and expect it to withstand the same loads. the part has to be redesigned from scratch for the new material and process.

also, if your process is generating parts full of voids and grit and crud, you need to fix it. those are errors in the process, not inherent parts of it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sagebrush posted:

yeah it's really baffling because casting aluminum is a solved problem and has been for half a century. "alloy" wheels are all cast aluminum and only the absolute cheapest garbage ones ever fail in use.

you have to design the part correctly, probably oversize it somewhat because casting is inherently weaker than forging etc, but there is no inherent reason that you couldn't make a suitably strong cast control arm.

you cannot simply take a part that was designed for forging and make a sand mold of it and cast it and expect it to withstand the same loads. the part has to be redesigned from scratch for the new material and process.

also, if your process is generating parts full of voids and grit and crud, you need to fix it. those are errors in the process, not inherent parts of it.

Look at this staticailure who isn't disruptive in the slightest! :sad:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i used the word Inherent three times in that post. that's too many.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I take it back, based on my limited guessing at the parts that doesn't seem like it should be THAT much labor, unless they're repainting the rocker panel and other pieces. 19.2 hrs of labor to replace six pieces of the suspension, some cosmetic parts, a hose, and a 2 tube assembly(?) seems excessive

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

ive seen youtube garage hobbyists cast better aluminum parts (less foamy) from melted soda cans

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

ive seen youtube garage hobbyists cast better aluminum parts (less foamy) from melted soda cans

yep every time that tweet comes up i instantly think about the backyard forge dudes that melt down cans in a paint bucket with used motor oil as fuel and how they cast higher quality aluminum than the pics included in that tweet

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MomJeans420 posted:

I take it back, based on my limited guessing at the parts that doesn't seem like it should be THAT much labor, unless they're repainting the rocker panel and other pieces. 19.2 hrs of labor to replace six pieces of the suspension, some cosmetic parts, a hose, and a 2 tube assembly(?) seems excessive

You need to set up the tent too

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

they didnt even give him any rabatt for having a lovely car

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tesla announced their new battery innovation: batteries that hold 5 times the power of their current ones! (because they are five times larger)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

That bill would be void in germany by the way. Every work step has to be billed in AW (0.1 Hour units) you can't just slap 20 hours on a bill and call it done. You have to detail what step will take how many AW so the customer doesn't get billed 4 hours of labor to tighten a bolt.

Swiss problems require swiss solutions and all... But still even the Kostenvoranschlag is a joke.

What the gently caress is general diagnostics. Shits broken yo, why you bill 200 switzerinos for that.

Also lol that they replaced the airbag under warranty. Where are the people screaming that warranty ends at the warranty period.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 27, 2020

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1309951571904536576?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
in a pandemic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what if, instead, tesla hired people to help people with their new cars? perhaps they could help sell the cars, too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol crowd sourcing your customer support like a capital driven user group

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tesla, the first car in 80 years to have a kickstarter

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Endless Mike posted:

what if, instead, tesla hired people to help people with their new cars? perhaps they could help sell the cars, too

you can’t pay people to love the car. they have to pay you.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sagebrush posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1309390263333289986

remember when he said the usa would have zero covid cases by the end of april?

lmao yes.

https://twitter.com/justinboldaji/status/1310069693609209856

how does anyone who meets him not just immediately give him a huge wedgie

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that’s also my favourite monty python skit :smith: gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bump_fn posted:

lmao yes.

the fremdschämen is palpable

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

jesus WEP posted:

Just switch to the cycling tour episode.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

I think you’re good as long as you don’t go around forcing your coworkers to watch it multiple times unsolicited.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aahaha I had no idea how common these suspension problems are.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kaSper1G/status/1227198760532533250

https://mobile.twitter.com/Freshfuel1/status/1306058456240136192

https://mobile.twitter.com/howdoesthiswor/status/1227289553897172994

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

bump_fn posted:

lmao yes.

i remember maybe a year or two ago when he was on a call with reporters about some really important tesla development, and if he didnt like the question, he'd cut them off saying "boring. next."

if you ever encounter elon on the road, kick him really hard in the nads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

tesla, the first car in 80 years to have a kickstarter

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

i remember maybe a year or two ago when he was on a call with reporters about some really important tesla development, and if he didnt like the question, he'd cut them off saying "boring. next."
quarterly earnings call may 2018 for one example:

quote:

After answering dense, dry questions from Wall Street analysts, Musk appeared to reach his limit midway through the call. During an exchange between an analyst and Deepak Ahuja, Tesla’s chief financial officer, about capital expenditures, Musk interrupted suddenly.

“Excuse me,” he said. “Next. Boring, bonehead questions are not cool. Next?”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I hope grimes has moved back to Canada and that she takes half his money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
same