Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Finally. This is what real opposition looks like.

Finally proud to be British

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Communist Thoughts posted:

MPs dont know gently caress all about poo poo so a goldman sachs technocrat massively outranks bojo in matters of money

also why would they want to get rid of him?

He's too popular & is taking the spotlight away from Boris

When I say popular I mean within the Westminster bubble rather than with normal people

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

He's too popular & is taking the spotlight away from Boris

When I say popular I mean within the Westminster bubble rather than with normal people

Depends what you call normal but the whole "Dishy" thing caught on with some gruesome demographics, and the coverage he gets in the right wing press is straight up propaganda.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

WhatEvil posted:

It is a lot of effort, and cost, but I can definitely recommend it nevertheless, if you have the opportunity and the money to do so. I do not regret getting the gently caress out.

(Sorry, not trying to gloat, it really is very sad and distressing to me what the UK has become.)

t minus three years and counting lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

Depends what you call normal but the whole "Dishy" thing caught on with some gruesome demographics, and the coverage he gets in the right wing press is straight up propaganda.

I am the only normal person

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno, you can say that but honestly where are you meant to flee to? This country is hardly uniquely lovely at this point.

Canada is apparently the most accepting country to immigrants, in the world. The politics is poo poo - the Overton window is razor thin here, with three liberal parties duking it out. The NDP are nominally the left-wing party but from what I can gather they've done a New Labour and tried to shift to the right at the last election, losing themselves loads of votes. The government has done OK-ish at the rona but they still don't really have a handle on things. Trudeau and the liberals are corrupt as poo poo, obviously.

People are friendly, houses are cheaper than the UK (but this is changing), there seems to be way less of a danger of imminent fascism than in the US or UK.

Otherwise New Zealand would be a good choice. Again not actually left-wing politics (but where is?) but seems to be less threat of fascism and the government has handled coronavirus really well. Also the weather is nice all year round (though Auckland is really rainy, if you go South a bit it's better). Also the people are nice.

Or maybe France? I don't know. I feel like again, liberals in power but at least the worker rights are good there and people are ready to strike and riot.

When you look at it though, the UK has some of the worst if not *the* worst figures in the world for coronavirus deaths per capita, so in some senses going literally anywhere else would be better.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 27, 2020

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I was pleasantly surprised the other morning to see the headline of 'Labour criticises replacement for furlough scheme' on the BBC and even happier to see they were putting forward a counter proposal but I'm really struggling to find out what that counter proposal is. The only thing I can find is 'It would enable businesses in key sectors to bring back more staff on reduced hours, with government subsidising a proportion of wages for the rest of the working week' but I can't find any more details beyond that.

That's also currently the Tory proposal minus the business contributing to hours not worked pay as well.

Is the Labour proposal to argue about the exact percentages of the Tory scheme or to let the business off paying any excess to the worker at all and the government taking on that burden?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I’ll just point out that literally thousands of Brits post-Brexit have gone and gotten Irish passports. The Civil Service even hired tons of people just to process those extra applications.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

The Question IRL posted:

I’ll just point out that literally thousands of Brits post-Brexit have gone and gotten Irish passports. The Civil Service even hired tons of people just to process those extra applications.

I applied for Irish citizenship in March, when the website said waiting times were 9-12 months. I phoned a couple of weeks back to be told they are currently processing applications from May 2019, so they are waaaaay behind.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/PeskySplinter/status/1310260857528610816?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
love to handcuff a guy's hands behind him and not search him or notice he had a gun in his waistband

Lungboy posted:

I applied for Irish citizenship in March, when the website said waiting times were 9-12 months. I phoned a couple of weeks back to be told they are currently processing applications from May 2019, so they are waaaaay behind.

just checked and they're now quoting 12-18 months so probably 2 years at least in actuality

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Julio Cruz posted:

love to handcuff a guy's hands behind him and not search him or notice he had a gun in his waistband

Don't police use handcuffs that have a hinge rather than the chain in the diagram

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1309933970734419969?s=20

Are current searches really less thorough than the groping you get in an airport?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is my Stand 「Big Iron」

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lungboy posted:

Ah, you are correct.

Seems like you had some bad luck in that the passport staff got redeployed due to Covid 19.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/passport-office-staff-redeployed-to-covid-19-roles-1.4278845

I hope that you do get your passport soon.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

Canada is apparently the most accepting country to immigrants, in the world. The politics is poo poo - the Overton window is razor thin here, with three liberal parties duking it out. The NDP are nominally the left-wing party but from what I can gather they've done a New Labour and tried to shift to the right at the last election, losing themselves loads of votes. The government has done OK-ish at the rona but they still don't really have a handle on things. Trudeau and the liberals are corrupt as poo poo, obviously.

People are friendly, houses are cheaper than the UK (but this is changing), there seems to be way less of a danger of imminent fascism than in the US or UK.

Otherwise New Zealand would be a good choice. Again not actually left-wing politics (but where is?) but seems to be less threat of fascism and the government has handled coronavirus really well. Also the weather is nice all year round (though Auckland is really rainy, if you go South a bit it's better). Also the people are nice.

It's welcoming to immigrants but not necessarily easy to immigrate here - if you're young or can get a job offer it's easier. It's also hella expensive if you want to live in/near one of the cities like Toronto or Vancouver. I've only lived in Vancouver so can't speak to what small town Canada is like.

It's also not that secretly racist as gently caress to the indigenous communities, as is New Zealand.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

CyberPingu posted:

At this point I don't think anything would be lost by losing the BBC

The good programmes will be picked up by Amazon/Netflix et al.

The journalism is a loving cess pit of bad, biased writing.

The Radio stations will just migrate somewhere else.

Anyone who is a parent would be able to tell you the sheer relief of CBBC not interrupting broadcasts every 15 minutes to blast ideas for massively expensive christmas presents into their kids' faces.

Also if you want to know what 6music would sound like as a commercial station then tune into Radio X and enjoy hearing the Stereophonics/Kings Of Leon every hour.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sinky posted:

Don't police use handcuffs that have a hinge rather than the chain in the diagram

Are current searches really less thorough than the groping you get in an airport?

That's some cynical as poo poo stuff from the scum; taking advantage of the death of a police officer to try to get extra powers that have gently caress-all to do with his death.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lib Dem on my twitter feed super salty the Lib Dem conference just voted against campaigning to rejoin the EU.

'Well what are we even for, then?'

Quite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Disregarding entirely that he was already handcuffed and in custody, so stop and search has nothing to do with it:

STOP

AND

SEARCH

DOES

NOT

WORK

It's a huge waste of police time and public money that does gently caress all to the crime rate, but certain papers (and chiefs (and Trump)) have a huge boner for it because it has police looking more 'active' than just patrolling a beat and chatting to people (which does lower crime).

However

Robert loving Peel posted:

recognise always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Along the same lines, One weird trick (that actually works) to reduce antisocial crime, police forces hate it!

quote:

The challenge
How can we reduce antisocial behaviour on the streets of Woolwich following the London riots of 2011?

The solution
We painted the local shop shutters that were initially being torn down in the violence, with the faces of local Woolwich babies. Psychology tells us that baby schema evokes a feeling of caring in humans and lowers anti-social behaviour. We wanted to harness this insight and deliver it at scale.

The impact
We reduced overall antisocial behaviour in Woolwich by c. 24%. Since the starting salary for a policeman is around £20,000 and painting the shutters cost less than £10,000, we can say that for more than five years service, our intervention cost less than half that of one new police officer.

Qualitatively we also know that the shutters have made a difference in social cohesion. Zafar Awan, the owner of ‘Cellfone City’ (one of the shops badly damaged during the riots) has said to the BBC that he “would have the shutter down all day if he could” as the locals want to see baby Maxwell.

Despite it's effectiveness no other police force has implemented it, presumably as it doesn't increase the police budget.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Safe beneath the watchful eyes of Big Baby

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Lib Dem on my twitter feed super salty the Lib Dem conference just voted against campaigning to rejoin the EU.

'Well what are we even for, then?'

Quite.

https://twitter.com/RCgothic/status/1310276317653458949

Apparently the leadership was made to backtrack.

My take -

https://twitter.com/mehall/status/1310298200029433859

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

kingturnip posted:

That's some cynical as poo poo stuff from the scum; taking advantage of the death of a police officer to try to get extra powers that have gently caress-all to do with his death.

I'd be more surprised if they didn't take advantage of that. I'm sure there are numerous columns being written as we speak saying our namby-pamby sensitive policing approach is the direct cause of this tragedy

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Robot Mil posted:

It's welcoming to immigrants but not necessarily easy to immigrate here - if you're young or can get a job offer it's easier. It's also hella expensive if you want to live in/near one of the cities like Toronto or Vancouver. I've only lived in Vancouver so can't speak to what small town Canada is like.

It's also not that secretly racist as gently caress to the indigenous communities, as is New Zealand.

Oh, yeah, I meant in terms of public attitudes, not necessarily the immigration process - that was a pain and also expensive. I was only able to get through it with (relative) ease because of my wife's engineering degree and experience. I'm told I probably would have been able to wangle my way through with just my experience as a joiner but it would have been less straightforward and I would likely have had to have gotten a job sponsorship rather than coming straight in as a permanent resident.

You don't have to go to small town Canada to still get houses that are cheaper than in much of England. I'm in Ottawa, 20km drive from parliament, and houses here are still much cheaper than we were used to in Milton Keynes - but they are on the up, by like 15% per year (though Coronavirus may change that, it doesn't seem to have yet). Mostly it's Toronto and Vancouver where prices are actually ridiculous.

Still, despite the houses being cheaper, most other things except petrol and energy are more expensive: Car insurance, food, home insurance, broadband/mobile/telecoms are all quite a bit more expensive than the UK. Particularly mobile bills are ~3x more, food is 2-3x more, broadband is 2-3x more (though typically if you're in/near a large city you can get better speeds than you would in most places in the UK). Oh and banking is shite - like stepping back in time 30 years. No free transfers from account to account, lots of things still done with cheques for larger purchases, you have to pay for each cheque you want, you have account fees and all that poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

blunt posted:

Along the same lines, One weird trick (that actually works) to reduce antisocial crime, police forces hate it!

Despite it's effectiveness no other police force has implemented it, presumably as it doesn't increase the police budget.

Huh, I remember seeing these a few years ago and wondering what it was about. *This* is the sort of thing "nudge units" should be doing, not trying to deal with loving pandemics.

Also they need to do A/B testing with paintings of stern/disappointed looking mothers.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ah here's the nuance.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/lib-dems-vote-to-back-rejoining-eu-96202

'Liberal Democrat members have ruled out an amendment to a motion at conference which would have seen the party campaigning to rejoin the EU immediately after the transition period ends.

But the party did vote in favour of an amendment which backs supporting a "longer term objective" of the UK being a member of the European Union.'

So now they're the Party of Rejoin, Eventually. Maybe. If people have already happened to think that's a good idea without any intervening campaigning.

So, again....what are they for?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sinky posted:

To be honest I also support tougher stop and search rules now.

After the rule that says "then search the suspect", add ", and make sure he hasn't got a loving gun in his goddamn trousers you stupid loving shits, y'know, it's called a "search" for a reason"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Still, despite the houses being cheaper, most other things except petrol and energy are more expensive: Car insurance, food, home insurance, broadband/mobile/telecoms are all quite a bit more expensive than the UK. Particularly mobile bills are ~3x more, food is 2-3x more, broadband is 2-3x more (though typically if you're in/near a large city you can get better speeds than you would in most places in the UK). Oh and banking is shite - like stepping back in time 30 years. No free transfers from account to account, lots of things still done with cheques for larger purchases, you have to pay for each cheque you want, you have account fees and all that poo poo.

Cripes you are not selling me on the Canadian paradise here. America has some of this stuff but at least frigging FOOD costs the same or less.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I investigated moving to Canada but without a sponsor lined up there was some rule whereby an employer would have to carry out an investigation and prove that no Canadian could do the job before they can offer it to a non-Canadian, which was never going to happen. I looked into Australia and New Zealand too but they're out due to my health, so I'm left with the EU.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

feedmegin posted:

Cripes you are not selling me on the Canadian paradise here. America has some of this stuff but at least frigging FOOD costs the same or less.

Yeah. Food seemed cheapest in Vancouver but that's also where the house prices are at or higher than London prices.

You *can* still eat cheaply, if you were already eating very cheaply in the UK - dry beans, oats, potatoes, pasta are all still available for comparable prices here to in the UK but everything beyond that is more.

I guess actually the comparison is like, if you were already the sort of person who paid twice as much for Heinz beans over supermarket ones (and similar analogues for things that aren't beans), you might not notice that much of a difference, it's just that that whole price segment of "supermarket own brand" which is typically like 30-50% cheaper than the named brand stuff, doesn't really exist here, let alone the "Tesco Value"/"Sainsbury's Basics" or whatever stuff. There often are supermarket own brands of stuff but it's common that they might only be 10% cheaper than the "Heinz" level stuff. Also some stuff you're used to being very cheap in the UK has huge premiums on, here. Forget about buying a cheap but serviceable ready meal for £1-2, they're all like £3-5 here and the quality is no better. Ditto for stuff like frozen pizza - £3 equivalent seems to be the *base price* here, whereas you can get reasonably decent Tesco pizzas for £1.40.

As a more general point there is wide wide variation between supermarkets here. Back in the UK you could buy £100 worth of stuff from Sainsburys and depending on what it was, it might be like £90 at Tesco or £110 at Morrisons or vice versa - typically on a given "basket" you're only gonna get like 5-10% variance from Sainsbury's/Tesco/Morrisons/ASDA. Over here I shop at "Food Basics" which seems to be cheapest, but you can go to Metro or Independent and for broadly the same stuff you might pay 30-50% more - it's legitimately nuts.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The 'faces on wall' thing also works because people feel they're being watched, and so are more likely to behave in socially acceptable ways. That's why some shops have a cardboard cut-out of a policeman. It's a subtle and cheap way of psychologically nudging people and I'm all for it, especially if artists or photographers are paid to produce locally-themed work.

I applied for an Irish passport a couple of years ago and it took almost a year, but I did mess up the form slightly. And they were great! Let me know what was wrong, let me fix it, and then carried on with the application without making me go back to the start. Having watched people go through the equivalent to get British citizenship, the Irish authorities are so much more humane and helpful.

I couldn't seriously consider emigrating as my parents are getting elderly. Several friends who emigrated ended up moving back when their parents were terminal, and I know I would do the same in a heartbeat, so why uproot my life now?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Ah here's the nuance.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

WhatEvil posted:

As a more general point there is wide wide variation between supermarkets here. Back in the UK you could buy £100 worth of stuff from Sainsburys and depending on what it was, it might be like £90 at Tesco or £110 at Morrisons or vice versa - typically on a given "basket" you're only gonna get like 5-10% variance from Sainsbury's/Tesco/Morrisons/ASDA. Over here I shop at "Food Basics" which seems to be cheapest, but you can go to Metro or Independent and for broadly the same stuff you might pay 30-50% more - it's legitimately nuts.

it kinda is like that here now.

lidl is easily 30% cheaper than tesco et al if not more.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Can you like, actually find everything you want at Aldi/Lidl though? Last time I tried going into one (admittedly probably around 2016) I didn't feel like I could. Like if you're the sort of person who goes into a supermarket and just decides what to get/what you're having for dinner while you're in there then that would be fine but I like to go in with a clear idea of what I'm making and what I need.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Sainsbury's is poo poo, they've lost the plot, Asda and Morrisons are poo poo too but less and at least somewhat cheap. Tesco's is optimal. Waitrose makes me feel worthy to spend that bit extra. Lidl and Aldi are very hit and miss depending on the store, newer the better and the most fun but poo poo for like lunch meal deals. I spend loads in the local budgens for shite because I plan poorly and am lazy. Having said all that I mainly shop in booths.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sainsbury's is poo poo, they've lost the plot, Asda and Morrisons are poo poo too but less and at least somewhat cheap. Tesco's is optimal. Waitrose makes me feel worthy to spend that bit extra. Lidl and Aldi are very hit and miss depending on the store, newer the better and the most fun but poo poo for like lunch meal deals. I spend loads in the local budgens for shite because I plan poorly and am lazy. Having said all that I mainly shop in booths.

Other than the decade lost to Jamie Oliver what's Sainsbury's done that so bad?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

NotJustANumber99 posted:

One of the local Sainsburies currently has chocolate covered freeze dried strawberries. They're delicious. They also cost a fortune. I need to try and bulk buy my own freeze dried strawbs so I can dip them in chocolate myself.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Regarde Aduck posted:

edit: kids here means anyone that looks younger than me, the bastards
Honestly finding myself quite glad to be a little bit older of late, it must be loving miserable and terrifying to be a young person now trying to have any sort of normal life.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I find Morrison's actually has more variety than Waitrose for most normal things. Like Waitrose will let you pick whether you want grey or blue duck eggs but Morrison's has better quality sandwich filler spread and a wider beer selection.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

stev posted:

Other than the decade lost to Jamie Oliver what's Sainsbury's done that so bad?

Dunno really just last one I was in hacked me off. Just nowhere near as sorted and effort free as Tesco's. Like I wanted a taper measure and they wanted me to faff about at the in store Argos whereas Tesco's just had that stuff there. Like adding an Argos to something does not make it better I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

TACD posted:

I find Morrison's actually has more variety than Waitrose for most normal things. Like Waitrose will let you pick whether you want grey or blue duck eggs but Morrison's has better quality sandwich filler spread and a wider beer selection.

Yeah but the Waitrose trolleys just feel so much better. Glide. The wheel bearings or something.

I did think Morrisons had better wine selection than Tesco's though. But I rate wine by how weird and colourful they labels are and not costing more than a fiver.