Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

kloa posted:

Can I buy this dumb card yet or should I check back in a few weeks months?

At this point you may as well wait until they figure out for sure what is making some $700+ cards crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

jaete posted:

Yeah would be good to know. I think there haven't been any restock events, just the 3080 launch and then the 3090 launch, but haven't followed super closely, just glancing at that one Discord every now and then. I've been running a script to refresh the Nvidia official 3080 page (UK edition) for hours at a time but nothing, lol
UK was restocked with 3080s at 5.30am on Thursday - convenient! I'll open an eye or two at the same time this week to see if it's a regular thing.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

jaete posted:

Yeah would be good to know. I think there haven't been any restock events, just the 3080 launch and then the 3090 launch, but haven't followed super closely, just glancing at that one Discord every now and then. I've been running a script to refresh the Nvidia official 3080 page (UK edition) for hours at a time but nothing, lol

There was one restock last week but it was at like 5am UK time, which is some real bullshit.

edit, beaten like my f5 key

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Knot My President! posted:

Anyone know of any updates to when FE is coming back in stock?

Right now I'm on the fence between FE and EVGA. FE looks amazing but EVGA has better CS and warranty. The issue I have is that despite having a completely black case, the thought of having this aesthetic nightmare powering my computer kind of makes me feel gross

EVGA have demoed a bunch what I assume are 3D-printed alternatives to the RGB and side accents fwiw. But those have to go into production and whatnot first of course.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Inept posted:

At this point you may as well wait until they figure out for sure what is making some $700+ cards crash.

Yeah I'm feeling extremely happy about getting that xbox preorder now. I can push pause on a new build until spring and see how everything has shook out.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

So I got a Palit OC card on launch day, my order is backlogged till who knows when... I also bought a EKWB block for it, which is on pre-order.

I totally think my block is going to get to me before the card.... lol.

But now there’s this whole crashing issue, and apparently the Palit might be on the bottom end of the quality of components list.. I’m a little anxious.

I might just keep trying for a FE, since it’s either I keep my reference spec board, or get a FE since both will fit in my SFFPC.

This launch sucks.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I'm feeling extremely happy about getting that xbox preorder now. I can push pause on a new build until spring and see how everything has shook out.

We got a live one here boys

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Alchenar posted:

uhhh but can your new xbox play ut99 at 4k/300 fps? that's what i thought. lmao 3080 wins again

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It has been pretty frustrating. $820 after taxes and shipping for a card that keeps making GBS threads the bed during gaming and now I'm having to do more troubleshooting to determine exactly what is going on. Put my 1080ti back in last night, ran DDU, and it was stable on one of the games the 3080 kept crashing in. Gonna test a bit more but it looks like this is going back to Newegg, and God knows how long it's gonna be until I receive a replacement.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Into The Mild posted:

But now there’s this whole crashing issue, and apparently the Palit might be on the bottom end of the quality of components list.. I’m a little anxious.

Palit have one MLCC group so they're probably OK

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/palit-geforce-rtx-3080-gaming-pro-oc/3.html

It's the ones with no MLCCs at all that seem to be trouble

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
3080 havers, if you haven't played Control I can't recommend it enough. It's an excellent game and the raytraced lighting's consistently incredible. Still images don't do it justice, but:

1. Projector shadow.
2. Projected image on the Jesse model
3. Reflection of the projector screen in the glass, shadow handled correctly
4. Reflection of Jesse in the glass, including the projected image.

I played through it back to back on an older system and my 2080 and there's a huge difference.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

repiv posted:

The 3070 FE really isn't going to fare well compared to the AIB 3070s with recycled 3080 coolers is it

The 3080 FE should have had the same cooler as the 3090.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol have all FEs down to the 3060 use the 3090FE form factor

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

ufarn posted:

EVGA have demoed a bunch what I assume are 3D-printed alternatives to the RGB and side accents fwiw. But those have to go into production and whatnot first of course.

It's only for the red plastic on the ends of the card.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
9/23 still no shipping email from nvidia crew!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Symetrique posted:

It's only for the red plastic on the ends of the card.

The part you'll never really see?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

I have a feeling that we won’t see changes until tomorrow.

HawaiinYeti
Mar 12, 2005

All right, all right. Knock it off. We tried. Whatever.
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

My 9/23 card was supposed to be delivered today but the tracking says it hasn't even left Minneapolis FedEx origin facility yet <:mad:>

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Jensen ship my card!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

You'll only see it in pictures of the cards, Joshua.

If you have a case with a window you'll definitely see one of the red accents. It's surprisingly prominent

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

repiv posted:

Palit have one MLCC group so they're probably OK

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/palit-geforce-rtx-3080-gaming-pro-oc/3.html

It's the ones with no MLCCs at all that seem to be trouble

Except that the Gigabyte Gaming OC which me and another goon have, have 6 POSCAP groups and are totally stable. I don't think it's that simple.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

considering that it's basically impossible to buy a case without a window any more, i assume that every Gamer these days has their pc front and center on their desk and spends half their day staring inside at the lights and tubes.

anyway the red accent is perfectly fine because you're a scrub if you use any color of lighting that isn't red.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Symetrique posted:

If you have a case with a window you'll definitely see one of the red accents. It's surprisingly prominent

There's a pretty simple solution to this.

Even if you came down with a case of temporary Ridiculous Gamer Brain and made the mistake of buying a case with a window in the first place, a $3 can of black Krylon can fix that problem for you in about five minutes.

e:

Sagebrush posted:

considering that it's basically impossible to buy a case without a window any more, i assume that every Gamer these days has their pc front and center on their desk and spends half their day staring inside at the lights and tubes.

Have you heard the good word, my son? Have you seen the lack of ridiculous light?

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 27, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I still haven't received the card I ordered on 9/17 thanks to Fedex. It's literally been out on a vehicle for three days, but for some reason they haven't delivered it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rusty posted:

I still haven't received the card I ordered on 9/17 thanks to Fedex. It's literally been out on a vehicle for three days, but for some reason they haven't delivered it.

fedex guy stole it

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

fedex guy stole it
I am pretty sure at this point I will never get it, I have never seen anything ship so slow in my life.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Except that the Gigabyte Gaming OC which me and another goon have, have 6 POSCAP groups and are totally stable. I don't think it's that simple.

I'm sure it's not that simple, just pointing out that there's no particular red flags with Palit AFAIK

I wonder if PSU quality is a factor with the cap thing, if your incoming supply is extremely stable maybe the caps don't matter as much

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Space Gopher posted:

Even if you came down with a case of temporary Ridiculous Gamer Brain and made the mistake of buying a case with a window in the first place, a $3 can of black Krylon can fix that problem for you in about five minutes.

e:

Have you heard the good word, my son? Have you seen the lack of ridiculous light?

Yeah not sure how great the evga warranty is when you spray paint a part of the card. Better to just wait for the caps evga is releasing for free. My case doesn't have windows on the sides so it doesn't bother me, but I was surprised at how prominent they were.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Sagebrush posted:

anyway the red accent is perfectly fine because you're a scrub if you use any color of lighting that isn't red.

Magenta and cyan for the Gaymer Agenda

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I'm gonna ask evga Jacob for a replacement cap in noctua beige or brown

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Symetrique posted:

Yeah not sure how great the evga warranty is when you spray paint a part of the card. Better to just wait for the caps evga is releasing for free. My case doesn't have windows on the sides so it doesn't bother me, but I was surprised at how prominent they were.

If you spray paint a transparent surface, such as a window, it becomes opaque. Then you don't have to look at whatever's behind it.

Paint the inside of the window for best results. Now you've just got a glossy panel in whatever color you want!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

repiv posted:

I wonder if PSU quality is a factor with the cap thing, if your incoming supply is extremely stable maybe the caps don't matter as much
Partly maybe. The point of bypass capacitors is to serve immediate energy demands of the chip (or any other components), and that's why they're that close.

It's pretty interesting to see what happens on PCB traces if there weren't any bypass caps. You can see voltages drop and spike, and see reflections of said spikes, all because electrons need to get moving and the whole shebang having inertia.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DrDork posted:

15mm isn't that significant, though--only about 5% of its total length. The decision to stay 2 slot instead of 2.5 or so certainly is hindering it, you're right. Still, considering that it's a massive almost solid block of metal with what should be excellent airflow, and 1/3 of the board being a "flow-through" segment, it is disappointing that it falls so far behind more traditional coolers. I wouldn't have been surprised to find it 5C behind, but 15C is way more than I expected.

interestingly jayz just posted a video where the FE beat the EVGA XC3 by 15C in the same test conditions.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Space Gopher posted:

If you spray paint a transparent surface, such as a window, it becomes opaque. Then you don't have to look at whatever's behind it.

Paint the inside of the window for best results. Now you've just got a glossy panel in whatever color you want!

Yeah, misunderstood. I saw too many idiots on reddit talking about painting the actual red plastic with plasti dip or a sharpie and I thought you were suggesting the same.

My case doesn't have windows so it doesn't bother me. But I can still understand why people hate the look.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Space Gopher posted:

e:

Unfortunately it's really not a solution because any case with good airflow will let a ton of light leak out. RGB is a blight on computers that must be purged.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Fauxtool posted:

Ahhh it's so close now! Says the deliver date is tomorrow. Was hoping it would arrive today!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Parallelwoody posted:

It has been pretty frustrating. $820 after taxes and shipping for a card that keeps making GBS threads the bed during gaming and now I'm having to do more troubleshooting to determine exactly what is going on. Put my 1080ti back in last night, ran DDU, and it was stable on one of the games the 3080 kept crashing in. Gonna test a bit more but it looks like this is going back to Newegg, and God knows how long it's gonna be until I receive a replacement.

I assume you've already tried limiting the boost to like 1900 or 1950 to rule out the maybe-power-delivery-maybe not problem that's all the rage lately?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Parallelwoody posted:

Put my 1080ti back in last night, ran DDU, and it was stable on one of the games the 3080 kept crashing in. Gonna test a bit more but it looks like this is going back to Newegg, and God knows how long it's gonna be until I receive a replacement.
what game was causing the crashing? the most i've heard is unigine heaven benchmark can cause it which i couldn't replicate

AirRaid posted:

repiv posted:

I'm sure it's not that simple, just pointing out that there's no particular red flags with Palit AFAIK

ya that's p much why my psu theory came about if i can make the card unstable w/o overclocking with the addition of another pci-e cable we'll see - i'm only hitting power limits in benchmarks which is where i've seen the highest stable clock rates as well (though marginally over games)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Combat Pretzel posted:

Partly maybe. The point of bypass capacitors is to serve immediate energy demands of the chip (or any other components), and that's why they're that close.

It's pretty interesting to see what happens on PCB traces if there weren't any bypass caps. You can see voltages drop and spike, and see reflections of said spikes, all because electrons need to get moving and the whole shebang having inertia.

That's the high frequency noise they are filtering out. Effectively they are like mini super fast reacting rechargeable batteries tied to the inputs of the part that help keep the voltage at exactly the level it's supposed to be by providing power when the voltage dips and sucking up power when it spikes. (Caps and rechargeable batteries are very very different, but it's a helpful analogy). Pretty much every digital IC (integrated circuit) that exists on any circuit board requires bypass capacitors as close to the input power pins as possible to filter out that noise and keep the power steady. A lot of parts only need a small amount of capacitance, but the Nvidia GPU is a sensitive power hungry beast that requires a whole lot of capacitance (the banks of MLCCs and/or other caps depending on the manufacturer).

As clock frequencies get higher and higher this stuff gets incredibly difficult and detailed such that everything from the layout of traces to the different layers of the PCB and materials they are made out of makes a huge difference. It's pretty cool (to me) getting a detailed look at some of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

AirRaid posted:

Exactly.

Also there’s reports of FEs, and also the TUF card crashing. I get the feeling that this is something else.

Maybe there’s more than one issue. But I feel it’s going to be fixed via software.

And yeah the Palit has one MLCC group, but it also has 220uf caps... hearing how good the quality of the components are on the FE, from the latest buildzoid video makes me jealous.