Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

glib is far less popular and mature than objective-c though, probably should get off that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

glib is far less popular and mature than objective-c though, probably should get off that stuff

Not the Linux port.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

horrible broken poo poo is what i've adapted to over decades and this other thing which is obviously better is different from what i'm used to. i would have to learn something new and i'm done learning, therefore the new thing is pointless useless poo poo. why do you even try to make things, it's literally impossible to make anything better than what i already know. if it wasn't the best possible way to make software i wouldn't have learned it, shitlords
-- every programmer over the age of 28

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Nomnom Cookie posted:

horrible broken poo poo is what i've adapted to over decades and this other thing which is obviously better is different from what i'm used to. i would have to learn something new and i'm done learning, therefore the new thing is pointless useless poo poo. why do you even try to make things, it's literally impossible to make anything better than what i already know. if it wasn't the best possible way to make software i wouldn't have learned it, shitlords

if you want an alternative to c for embedded just use rust or something. apple is good because they focus only on apple. using apple stuff on nonapple? lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

:hmmyes:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if you want an alternative to c for embedded just use rust or something. apple is good because they focus only on apple. using apple stuff on nonapple? lol

Modern C++ >= 14, QT, Rust, or Python 3.8 are all good for embedded Linux. Even Go can be OK if you don’t need 3rd party libraries.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

sounds almost like you do this for a living

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

sounds almost like you do this for a living

I do indeed write terrible embedded applications for a living.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ratbert90 posted:

Using software from random people is fine if the project is popular, mature, and well maintained. Swift on Linux is none of those things.

pinephone is none of those things and this thread is falling over itself in praise

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

carry on then posted:

pinephone is none of those things and this thread is falling over itself in praise

who’s praising pinephone lol that poo poo sounds like an offbrand prop in a sitcom

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

who’s praising pinephone lol that poo poo sounds like an offbrand prop in a sitcom

I think he means this thread is falling over itself to say “heh, open sores am I right? :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also can you even build swift for architectures other than X86_64 for Linux? Let alone use the swift compiler to cross-compile applications?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

carry on then posted:

linux users, in two posts:

who do you think writes windows

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
AS AN EMBEDDED DEVELOPER, I

think that tiresome gotchas about oohhh i bet its really hard to crosscompile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about every single new library kinda miss the point, but on the other hand it does loving suck immensely when two bit dipshits and sometimes people who really should know better want to idk run some lovely touchscreen with electron because they refuse to consider anything other than javascript. i hope swift system is good and does well, i think it's a reasonable target to strive for, but i still probably wouldn't use it until it got some more real world usage

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i honestly do think that objective-c gets weirdly little respect in this though, gcc was the reference implementation for decades (from the start in fact, though the modifications were only opened in 97 or so i think), meaning that linux is first-class (arguably more so than osx). when you get to the clang implementation it becomes more of a clear-cut apple thing, but even there i doubt anyone really turns down the rest of clang, and part of the beauty of objective-c is that there is not a whole lot to it other than being a better c+oo system than c++.

also lol at calling python 3.8 a reliable well-maintained piece of software, i am quite sure they are due for breaking poo poo for no reason any moment again.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

i honestly do think that objective-c gets weirdly little respect in this though, gcc was the reference implementation for decades (from the start in fact, though the modifications were only opened in 97 or so i think),

they were opened up when NeXT shipped them

quote:

meaning that linux is first-class (arguably more so than osx).

Linux didn’t exist when NeXT added Objective-C support to GCC

the best part is in the frameworks and that’s where the non-NeXT community really dropped the ball, GNUstep was a thing and but the Linux world decided that Qt and GTK+ were what it wanted instead

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I really loved WindowMaker as my desktop environment back when "desktop integration" wasn't really a thing and notification bars were only for Windows.

It would be interesting to consider just how much work would need to be done to get WindowMaker to feature parity with the latest version of Gnome desktop.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

starbucks hermit posted:

I really loved WindowMaker as my desktop environment back when "desktop integration" wasn't really a thing and notification bars were only for Windows.

It would be interesting to consider just how much work would need to be done to get WindowMaker to feature parity with the latest version of Gnome desktop.

i think this very heavily depends on what you consider feature parity, if getting notifications icons to work that's certainly covered by some dockapp.

weirdly enough windowmaker is not written in objective-c, despite being part of gnustep.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the only linux with desktop integration is chromeos

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah wondow maker works fine, there's a systray dockapp that houses dumb poo poo that has to live in a tray for some reason like nm-applet and whatever chat app you use, and everything else has sorta just worked since the 90s

but otoh, even windows is almost at feature parity with wmaker now, so why not run kde and be 20 years in the future again? you can probably make it behave like afterstep with a script if that makes you feel at more at home and keep all the goodies

Soricidus posted:

the only linux with desktop integration is chromeos

no, spyware isn't the only requirement for integration, shaggar

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thanks for the posts.

I'm almost, almost, curious enough to actually try getting windowmaker to run on my Linux desktop.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

esr made slashdot again

Eric S. Raymond: Is Microsoft Switching To a Linux Kernel That Emulates Windows?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

im little nostalgic of reading slashdot and being 12

lemme tell you about perl and free software

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
tankakern why do you post so many links to cursed websites

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
aww slashdot no longer has article icons. how sad.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

BobHoward posted:

tankakern why do you post so many links to cursed websites

there's nothing left than cursed content nowadays

we have to face the real world, one tangentially linux related benchmark at a time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Modern C++ >= 14, QT, Rust, or Python 3.8 are all good for embedded Linux. Even Go can be OK if you don’t need 3rd party libraries.

oddly of all the things I’ve crosscompiled Python libraries that require C code seem to have been the most annoying

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

oddly of all the things I’ve crosscompiled Python libraries that require C code seem to have been the most annoying

Agreed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it doesn’t make any sense either

Python: great
C libraries: great
combine the two? train wreck

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
99% of those are just the setup.py file hardcoding all the various paths.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
i get why it exists but it does seem like a mistake to have distributed-as-source-code, compile-at-install-time c extensions especially since cpython makes some c abi guarantees

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

99% of those are just the setup.py file hardcoding all the various paths.

been wrestling with this at dayjob too - do you have any examples of good Python libraries with C extensions that cross-compile well?

I haven't been able to crack that nut without a bunch of crazy custom poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

it doesn’t make any sense either

Python: great
C libraries: great
combine the two? train wreck

the first half of the antecedent is the mistake here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the first half of the antecedent is the mistake here.

usually you just need to ./configure with the appropriate target and prefix

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

aww slashdot no longer has article icons. how sad.

They're in the top right of the header now, and kind of hard to see. It looks like they changed it from borg bill gates to "micorsoft" in black text at some point in the past ten years so that website is well and truly dead.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what was it, hot grits in natalie portman's pants or something?

god that site.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

have you meta moderated recently?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

speaking of slashdot troll culture one of biden’s cybersecurity advisers got outed as gnaa associated lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PCjr sidecar posted:

speaking of slashdot troll culture one of biden’s cybersecurity advisers got outed as gnaa associated lol

amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

boy i hadn’t thought about gnaa existing in quite some time