Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

mllaneza posted:

The Boys is doing that right now. The producers took one thing early in the comics and diverged hard from the comics storyline. Amazingly, almost everyone who loved the comic books is totally down with the wildly divergent TV show. The edgy bullshit you loved at 13 doesn't make for good TV when you're pushing 30. I've only read the summary of the comics on Wikipedia, but I'm amazingly grateful that they didn't adapt that poo poo straight.

The Boys comics and The Boys show have veeeery different feels. The comics start off as edgy bullshit, with the writer trying to shove in as much sex, rape, blood, misogyny, homophobia, etc etc as possible because he can. Around the time it changes publishers, it starts to level out and actually becomes pretty good. It even criticizes some of its previous plot, with Starlight going off on a couple of PR people for suggesting that a rape backstory makes female characters edgy and interesting.

The show changes a lot of the male characters to women which works really well imo, and instead of literally every single female character getting raped, they have actual backstories. They also do The Female a solid by giving her a name and a reason why she's mute (she speaks sign language). They also try to round out Homelander so that he's not a mustache-twirling baddie from page 1. The only thing I miss from the comics is Legend, and hopefully they're just saving him for a later season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The Boys tv show does an excellent job at keeping the same themes from the comic along with the general tone while getting rid of the moment-ro-moment pieces of the comic that were way too edgy. So the end result is that it's telling a similar story while not keeping much of the plot.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Haven't seen season 2 yet; did they include Love Sausage?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He showed up but I don't think he's going to be a regular thing, just a cameo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ I would say he had a rather significant part.

hyperhazard posted:

The Boys comics and The Boys show have veeeery different feels. The comics start off as edgy bullshit, with the writer trying to shove in as much sex, rape, blood, misogyny, homophobia, etc etc as possible because he can. Around the time it changes publishers, it starts to level out and actually becomes pretty good. It even criticizes some of its previous plot, with Starlight going off on a couple of PR people for suggesting that a rape backstory makes female characters edgy and interesting.

There's a story behind that. Ennis was already burned out on superheroes by the time he finished Hitman in 2002, but DC kept wanting him to do stuff. He began trying to get fired by going too far, culminating with The Boys which was in essence Ennis hatefucking the entire genre. DC eventually pulled the plug when he submitted a script which had a Batman analogue compulsively loving everything in sight.

But getting back to Annie: Ennis had originally intended her to be the butt of the series, but as sometimes happens the characters took over. He changed her path completely after she met Hughie on the park bench in issue 5 as he realised he'd been using the character the wrong way. He also felt guilty about it and decided that no matter what, Annie was going to get a happy ending.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apparently Cataclysm got a lot of complaints but MAN were most of the original zones vastly improved in the revision.

Yeah, though it's funny that the Cata zones have now been in the game longer than the original ones. They are quite dated in their own ways, like one of the earliest zones starting with an extended CSI Miami parody.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

His company also made elaborate freestanding holograms and he uses it for a card game.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently Kaiba made the hologram projectors because he kept losing badly to Pegasus

In the manga, Kaiba stole the Blue-Eyes from Yugi, the Pharaoh came out, beat him in a duel, and punished him by making him believe he was being eaten alive. So Kaiba gets his company to create hologram tech so he can imitate the Pharaoh's magic and get revenge with his own torture box.

Remember that weird bit in episode 1 where Gramps is somehow hospitalized? It's cause in the manga Kaiba shoves him in the hologram box and dials it up until he has a heart attack. Then (after a part where Joey kills Leatherface) Kaiba does the same to Mokuba after he loses to Yugi, though Yugi intervenes and rescues him. And that prompts the Pharaoh to do the whole Mind Crush thing (after beating him in the rematch with Exodia) and put Kaiba in a coma for months until he can figure out how to be less evil.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Byzantine posted:

In the manga, Kaiba stole the Blue-Eyes from Yugi, the Pharaoh came out, beat him in a duel, and punished him by making him believe he was being eaten alive. So Kaiba gets his company to create hologram tech so he can imitate the Pharaoh's magic and get revenge with his own torture box.

Remember that weird bit in episode 1 where Gramps is somehow hospitalized? It's cause in the manga Kaiba shoves him in the hologram box and dials it up until he has a heart attack. Then (after a part where Joey kills Leatherface) Kaiba does the same to Mokuba after he loses to Yugi, though Yugi intervenes and rescues him. And that prompts the Pharaoh to do the whole Mind Crush thing (after beating him in the rematch with Exodia) and put Kaiba in a coma for months until he can figure out how to be less evil.

He doesn't figure out how to be less evil. He just gets psychic vibrations from his deck being used by an impostor and wakes up. He then boards his private helicopter and rushes off to duelist kingdom to save Mokuba

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can appreciate Yu Gi Oh for taking ridiculous anime hair and absurd anime settings and dialling that poo poo up to 11.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I never finished the anime but i read through the manga in the last couple months. Even Egyptian Kaiba was a monster. He sent thugs through the city to gather people with monsters in their souls and then sent them to a secret prison to fight to power up the demon. Then he made then trading cards stone slabs

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Jedit posted:

There's a story behind that. Ennis was already burned out on superheroes by the time he finished Hitman in 2002, but DC kept wanting him to do stuff. He began trying to get fired by going too far, culminating with The Boys which was in essence Ennis hatefucking the entire genre. DC eventually pulled the plug when he submitted a script which had a Batman analogue compulsively loving everything in sight.

I'd completely forgotten about that story arc. Yeah, that's probably the nadir of the series.

It makes sense that it began as a huge gently caress You. There are a lot of throw-away meta jokes like Legend's son Stanley (rimshot) dying before he could become a comic book writer, and a scene later on where a publisher talks about not hiring Ennis because they have enough Irish writers. There's also an entire issue that exists just to dunk on St. Patrick's day.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Len posted:

He doesn't figure out how to be less evil. He just gets psychic vibrations from his deck being used by an impostor and wakes up. He then boards his private helicopter and rushes off to duelist kingdom to save Mokuba

Well, the Pharaoh meant for him to be less evil, and Yugi's actually surprised that the Mind Crush didn't work when Kaiba shows up again.

But then the Pharaoh kills two people on Duelist Kingdom, so :shrug:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I can appreciate Yu Gi Oh for taking ridiculous anime hair and absurd anime settings and dialling that poo poo up to 11.

I love original manga Yugioh. It's completely nuts, but it's also very obvious the author did his research on Egyptian mythology and the whole thing is very much a "Egyptian magic reawakened in the modern world" story even after the card game got popular.

The anime and the sequel serieses drop all the mythology bits to focus on Cards, and are way less interesting to me even though they get far more bonkers.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Sep 27, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh the pharaoh stuff doesn’t really happen until after the card game takes over.

The last arc is where 95% takes place

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The only thing I know about Yu Gi Oh is that the game was banned from my local game store after somebody poo poo on the floor at a tournament.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
YGO players are known to be smelly.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh the pharaoh stuff doesn’t really happen until after the card game takes over.

The last arc is where 95% takes place

Yes but the Egyptian influence itself is there from the 3rd chapter.

quote:

Then again, Pegasus needing to cheat to be a threat to Yugi and Kaiba makes sense; both of them (well, all three counting Yami) are full-time card game fanatics, while Pegasus may have invented the game but he's an artist and businessman, and it's not exactly typical for the developers of a popular game to be the best at it.

Its also pointed out that his ability to read minds and penchant for overpowered cards has kept him from developing proper skills and instincts.
So he falls for several traps once the mindreading gets shut down. (Until he just brings out a whole new overpowered boss)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Yugi canonically cheats

I lied in my previous post. Not about the making GBS threads, but about only knowing one thing about YGO. My second, and final, piece of knowledge about YGO involves this. One of my friends, who worked at said store and thus interacted with a lot of people playing various games, had a whole treatise about this.

YGO teaches children that winning is all that matters, and cheating is good to do.

Pokemon teaches people that winning is irrelevant (Ash goes like 10 seasons without winning a tournament) and that the love of the hobby and the friendships you form through it are what matters.

These lessons are reflected in the children who play these games.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

rydiafan posted:

The only thing I know about Yu Gi Oh is that the game was banned from my local game store after somebody poo poo on the floor at a tournament.

hell yeah

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

rydiafan posted:

I lied in my previous post. Not about the making GBS threads, but about only knowing one thing about YGO. My second, and final, piece of knowledge about YGO involves this. One of my friends, who worked at said store and thus interacted with a lot of people playing various games, had a whole treatise about this.

YGO teaches children that winning is all that matters, and cheating is good to do.

Pokemon teaches people that winning is irrelevant (Ash goes like 10 seasons without winning a tournament) and that the love of the hobby and the friendships you form through it are what matters.

I dunno, I've seen some people get REALLY angry about losing at the pokemon tcg.
Though to be fair, the angriest ones tended to be grown men.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yugioh rules I went to a book store and saw a middle aged man get increasingly angry as he was getting owned at cards by a 10 year old boy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s impressive children can get into card games. Meta ready decks are loving expensive no matter what you play

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s impressive children can get into card games. Meta ready decks are loving expensive no matter what you play

I saved my lunch money and cracked packs, each time I got a rare that wasn't a color I played "what's this worth?"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

rydiafan posted:

They try to course-correct on that side of Yu-Gi-Oh in GX, with Jaden being proud of being in the 'loser' dorm and having fun even when he's behind in a duel, but... well, to my knowledge out of every protagonist in the whole series, Jaden has the best win-loss record (unless you go into technicalities like counting Yami separately from non-Yami Yugi), so it doesn't quite land.

Although the diversity I mentioned in another post does at least teach viewers to be proud of whatever level of deck they can make work. I do think it's really interesting that Chazz, who's the closest GX has to a Kaiba equivalent, uses literal garbage cards that nobody else could see the potential of.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

rydiafan posted:

There's an anime about the Japanese board game Go where the protagonist is told what moves to make by some Go genius in his head, which always struck me as unexciting. Its like using a computer to play chess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You talking about The Chazz?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIYpV-OcoRA

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

There's an anime about the Japanese board game Go where the protagonist is told what moves to make by some Go genius in his head, which always struck me as unexciting. Its like using a computer to play chess.

IIRC, the ghost doesn't stick around for long. The kid starts getting into the game and good on his own merits and the ghost is able to move on as a result, leaving the rest of the series to focus on the kid trying to go pro.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like in the speed yugioh format you get abilities you can activate any time in the duel and picking Yugi as your person gives you "draw whatever card you want from your deck" which I think is a good admission about how much bullshit yugi has going on.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cleretic posted:

They try to course-correct on that side of Yu-Gi-Oh in GX, with Jaden being proud of being in the 'loser' dorm and having fun even when he's behind in a duel, but... well, to my knowledge out of every protagonist in the whole series, Jaden has the best win-loss record (unless you go into technicalities like counting Yami separately from non-Yami Yugi), so it doesn't quite land.

Yusei from 5Ds and Yusaku from VRAINS have the best win/loss record, I think. I’d have to double-check but I’m pretty sure neither of them lost a single on-screen duel.

Yusaku couldn’t lose most of his matches for plot reasons (the show would have ended if he had lost during season one), and Yusei was especially hilarious because the writers would go out of their way to find bullshit reasons for him to win. The Team Unicorn duel was the most infamous example of this.

A character set up a milling strategy where Yusei was losing cards from his deck every turn. He had Yusei beat, but Yusei’s steely eyed look of determination scared the guy into attacking, because Yusei looked so focused that he just HAD to have some way of countering the guy’s strategy. All he had to do was end his turn and Yusei would have decked out. So, naturally, with his teammates screaming at him to end his turn, he attacked, and Yusei OF COURSE had a card ready to counter his attack and win the duel.

END YOUR drat TURN, JEAN. :negative:

EDIT: The worst part was it wasn't even an elimination tournament. If Yusei had lost that duel, his team still could have moved on with no issues!

Vandar has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Sep 28, 2020

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Well, again, it's because the original story was "ancient spirit of vengeance possesses nerd, punishes evildoers". Then the card game took over and it had to twist from "the spirit exploits his targets' moral failings to inflict ironic punishment" to "the spirit has to get through this tournament with rules against burning your opponent alive".

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mllaneza posted:

The Boys is doing that right now. The producers took one thing early in the comics and diverged hard from the comics storyline. Amazingly, almost everyone who loved the comic books is totally down with the wildly divergent TV show. The edgy bullshit you loved at 13 doesn't make for good TV when you're pushing 30. I've only read the summary of the comics on Wikipedia, but I'm amazingly grateful that they didn't adapt that poo poo straight.

Wait, really? Holy poo poo, I'd been putting off watching the show because I thought it'd be just like the comics.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
^^ I'm trying to think of a single change they made to the show that wasn't an improvement over the comic, and I'm coming up empty. It really is quite good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hyperhazard posted:

^^ I'm trying to think of a single change they made to the show that wasn't an improvement over the comic, and I'm coming up empty. It really is quite good.

Terror doesn't show up until mid S2.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CommissarMega posted:

Wait, really? Holy poo poo, I'd been putting off watching the show because I thought it'd be just like the comics.

Oh have we got some good news for you. It follows the comics up until A-Train runs through Robin. So what, page two of issue #1 ? They keep characters mostly intact, some gender swapped, and change every arc. Much of season 1 follows a rough comic rc, but by the end they're down to character names in common with the books and that's just about all. Amazingly enough, the comic fans are almost unanimous in approving of all the changes. It helps that the show is phenomenally well written, cast, and directed.

e.

Toshimo posted:

Point taken.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Byzantine posted:

Well, again, it's because the original story was "ancient spirit of vengeance possesses nerd, punishes evildoers". Then the card game took over and it had to twist from "the spirit exploits his targets' moral failings to inflict ironic punishment" to "the spirit has to get through this tournament with rules against burning your opponent alive".

It's a bit funny since there's some implication that the card game having ridiculously high stakes and trying to physically threaten and psyche out your opponents even without magic and/or technology coming into play is just the Shadow Games, which were basically duels between kings, priests and wizards by summoning monsters, gods and extradimensional monsters, coming back in a slightly different format, hence why Yami Yugi adapts pretty easily.

mllaneza posted:

Oh have we got some good news for you. It follows the comics up until A-Train runs through Robin. So what, page two of issue #1 ? They keep characters mostly intact, some gender swapped, and change every arc. Much of season 1 follows a rough comic rc, but by the end they're down to character names in common with the books and that's just about all. Amazingly enough, the comic fans are almost unanimous in approving of all the changes. It helps that the show is phenomenally well written, cast, and directed.

I think a big part is that comic book fans are quite used to adaptations taking liberties to what works better with the story.

Also, since quite a lot of the comic revolves around social satire, that kinda needs to be updated by necessity given how drastically the social and political landscape has changed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
media that aged extremely well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOlx61iiUYA

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

Toshimo posted:

The dog Butcher has trained to rape people is definitely one of the worst parts of The Boys, and I am happy he’s barely a part of the show. I didn’t even want the dog to appear in the single episode it did.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Thankfully that might not even be part of the dog's story in the show given how much they seem to want to keep Billy a bit sympathetic.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Grand Gigas posted:

The dog Butcher has trained to rape people is definitely one of the worst parts of The Boys, and I am happy he’s barely a part of the show. I didn’t even want the dog to appear in the single episode it did.

Wow that show sounds loving stupid

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

verbal enema posted:

The show cuts out the worst excesses of the comic, the dog rape thankfully hasn't and probably won't make an appearance. The closest they get is having it hump a plush toy version of one of the antagonists.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

verbal enema posted:

Everyone has been talking about how that's not part of the show. Much of this page is talking about how the comics and the show are different, did you miss that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Roblo posted:

Everyone has been talking about how that's not part of the show. Much of this page is talking about how the comics and the show are different, did you miss that?

To be fair that was in answer to a post that implied the rape dog is in the show, just maybe not very much.