Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

There is a lake near me that is public land that the public cannot access. 100% of the land surrounding it is owned by the rich, who specifically fought to keep a park from being built which would have allowed the public to access the lake which they, the public, ostensibly own.

The solution is clearly to have an 80s style slobs vs snobs competition for ownership of the lake or maybe just guillotines instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

There is a lake near me that is public land that the public cannot access. 100% of the land surrounding it is owned by the rich, who specifically fought to keep a park from being built which would have allowed the public to access the lake which they, the public, ostensibly own.

The solution is clearly to have an 80s style slobs vs snobs competition for ownership of the lake or maybe just guillotines instead.

Same thing happened here, except it is a road easement issue. One landowner decided no easement to the Forest Service and that was it. It can be hiked across about 2 1/2 miles of federal forest though, so I might get a bunch of obnoxious mountain man re-enactors and go poo poo the place up. Those guys love cannons, whisky, and combining the two in hilarity. The coho fishing isn't too shabby at the right time of year too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Someone on my local social media just announced that trout season wraps up at the end of October.

I am…not going to correct them.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This is my first full season with the Soloskiff on the saltwater flats of N FL, and this is the best small fishing platform I've ever had. I've kayak fished for years but my shoulders aren't up to the paddling anymore. I looked at a Hobie PA, but noped out at the pricetag. I have roughly the same money in this rig and it has a motor! It runs about 15 MPH and goes 20 miles on a gallon of fuel. I've even taken it offshore, albeit on a VERY calm day. These things are killer.

Some catches the last few months.

Trout fattening up for the winter

Flounder

Redfish

Spanish

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

man those low gunwales would make me nervous, but nice fish.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

man those low gunwales would make me nervous, but nice fish.

You can stand on those gunwales and it won't tip.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Planet X posted:

That's awesome, and some huge smallmouth. You've got some amazing fishing up there, and some monster muskie and pike.

I just spent a wonderful weekend in Western MD fly fishing.

I do several different types of fishing: Spin fishing for whatever, but heavily target smallmouth bass in the Potomac. However, since I live in fly fishing country, I now fly fish. My only rod is a 5 wt 7.5' rod I bought off of a friend of a friend to get me started. This generally suits me fine for when I fish small streams for heavy cover. However, most people go with a longer rod.

Should I abandon the 5 wt 7.5' in favor of a rod that is longer? Or should I keep this smaller rod, and get a 3 wt 9' rod so I've got different weight rods? Longer rod will let me do some nymphing and cover distance in wider streams.

I'm at a bit of an impasse about where to go with either keeping the smaller rod and just getting a longer 5wt (or a 3wt) and just swapping out reels.

Could use the insight if anyone has it. I have a spare reel downstairs too. The current reel I have on my 5 wt 7.5' is a Battenkill BBS III.

Unrelated, I am thinking about getting a bass rod to throw bigger flies. I assume a 7wt would be best.
If you're fishing for trout, 5 wt 7.5' is plenty for anything if you're on foot. You're almost always better served getting into a better casting position and making a shorter cast than casting a long rod from farther away. Also, it's not like a 9' rod is going to add much to your cast over a 7.5' rod.

Also, I wouldn't nymph on a 3-weight. You need an indicator and some lead to get down, be it in a split-shot or a leaded nymph. That can be a pain to cast with ultralights, imho. If you do want to do ultralight nymphing, look into Tenkara fishing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Also, I wouldn't nymph on a 3-weight. You need an indicator and some lead to get down, be it in a split-shot or a leaded nymph. That can be a pain to cast with ultralights, imho. If you do want to do ultralight nymphing, look into Tenkara fishing.

NB: A 10’ or 11’ euro 3wt isn’t the same as a “normal” 3wt. They’re just easier to load.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My in-laws neighborhood has a lake in it. If you look at GIS, it shows that this lake and the sidewalk that runs to it, belongs to the development company. Which didn't stop the adjacent landowner from slapping up a thousand NO TRESPASSING signs and threatening anyone who went to it.

Which is why I laughed my rear end off when my father-in-law went and tried it and the landowner called the cops on him and he had to find out from the cops that it wasn't his. Yet out he goes every time he sees someone try to use it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

If I were rich I would land my float plane on the lake to fish from or have a helicopter drop off/pick me up in a kayak. Maybe catapult into the lake? I hate poo poo like that and would come up with every harebrained idea I could to get access.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Dangerllama posted:

Is this mostly going to be a trout rig? If so, how big are the fish you’re expecting to catch, on average? And would you rather do nymphing, throw streamers, or delicately land dries from 70’ away?

Ugh, I dont know. I don't want to get too sucked into gear, but I am usually catching small trout but also half of the time I'm fishing for whatever in the monocacy river (bluegill or smallmouth). There is a place to do high stick nymphing in southern PA, but I don't go that much, and when I do, I borrow a friends rod. I wouldn't mind buying a 9' 5 wt, as that covers me for small trout and small to medium sized smallmouth. The 9' gets me a little more distance for the potomac and the monocacy. I assume a 5 is strong enough for smaller smallmouth.

I could also go up to say, a 7 for smallmouth and just keep my shorter 5 wt for trout. I used a 7 a few times with larger bass flies and it was pretty great

Dik Hz posted:

If you're fishing for trout, 5 wt 7.5' is plenty for anything if you're on foot. You're almost always better served getting into a better casting position and making a shorter cast than casting a long rod from farther away. Also, it's not like a 9' rod is going to add much to your cast over a 7.5' rod.

Thanks for this perspective too.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 25, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

I hate poo poo like that and would come up with every harebrained idea I could to get access.

I know! Rent a crane to lift me over the houses and lower me into the lake.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Planet X posted:

I could also go up to say, a 7 for smallmouth and just keep my shorter 5 wt for trout. I used a 7 a few times with larger bass flies and it was pretty great
The rod is more about the tackle you're using than the fish you're catching. If you're throwing clousers, get the 7-wt. Smallmouth love wooly buggers, though, and those cast great on a 5-wt.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

1 dollar Creme brand crankbait from Walmart was a surprise hit at the farm ponds! A bass, a sunfish, and the back of my own arm! Cool little bait for a buck.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

New toy day!

I have one other St Croix and it's amazing, so when the Shimano one I had on this reel gave up the ghost, I got another.

If anyone is in the market for a damned high quality spinning reel without the outrageous Shimano prices, check out the mid to high end Okuma reels.

https://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Azores-Saltwater-Spinning-Reel/dp/B00LDYKNFO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=okuma+azores&qid=1601063738&sr=8-1

I have a couple of these and they are absolutely loving bulletproof. Every weekend in the salt and never skipped a beat with minimal maintenance.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 25, 2020

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Yesssss, finally a st croix bro

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hit tne surf today and caught endless shorties of whiting and pompano. Three keeper whititng, all on the small side.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

It's been blowing 15-25 all week and just started to calm down today. Definitely going trout hunting in the morning.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ghostnuke posted:

Yesssss, finally a st croix bro

Gimme 24 hours. I'm grouse hunting near their factory this weekend and evidently their factory store has blemished rods for like half off.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

St croix bro checking in, mojo series is my jam, got two in shores and a bass, love them all :D

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

St Croix Crieux represent.

My primary rig is a 6’ 1-piece ultralight with a little quantum spinning reel. It is on full time dickspoon duty lately.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

They didn't have any blemished fly rods but I got a 6wt for bass since apparently these things are like golf clubs or some poo poo...

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Brother is moving to a spot in Oklahoma absolutely drowning in good fishing holes, and is all bragging about becoming a daily fisherman again. Also asked for his tweaked 404 back. I may have to hurt him.

Here's the real problem I have in the Texas panhandle. There are maybe six lakes in easy driving distance, they're all built in canyons so you basically require a boat, and they all get intense fishing pressure because there's nowhere else to go. There are no rivers, no stocked farm ponds, nothing but this tiny handful of lakes. So I have to set aside a day for nothing but fishing, fight my way through a crowd to reach the water, and then get spanked for the day because only the smart fish are left. I am so loving envious of my brother right now that some Cain and Abel poo poo might have to go down.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him with a zebco. Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Gooch181 posted:

Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him with a zebco. Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied.

"You uh...holding an 808 behind your back?"

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

My father abused the poo poo out of this reel when he bought it in 2004. I rehabbed it, cleaned it, put some new bearings in and now have possibly one of the best baitcasters ever made. He's a murdering piece of poo poo in prison so gently caress him.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I bought a tenkara rod a few years ago and I kinda have buyers remorse. I've taken it out a dozen times to some small creeks, but I've never caught a single fish on it. I want to start fishing more, but in general have no idea wtf I am doing a d want to avoid wasting more money. I live right outside sacramento.
Seems that bass fishing in Folsom lake is popular, and I see some people fly fishing the American.

1) anyone know some tenkara appropriate places nearby?

2) if I buy another rod, should I get a spinner or a fly set up?

3) what are some good tips for a complete beginner that has only ever caught 3 fish, and that was 20 years ago.

4) I'm also very interested in eating what I catch. Not just catch and release.

Edit: I want a dickspoon

eSporks fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 27, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Tenkara should be perfect for pulling up a panfish lunch! I don't have location specific advice, but bluegills and such are god damned everywhere and delicious.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Farking Bastage posted:

He's a murdering piece of poo poo in prison

Yeah but did he catch fish or nah

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

titties posted:

Yeah but did he catch fish or nah

He did. Taught me a lot over the years before he lost his poo poo one day and shot my mom in the face point blank with a .44 magnum.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 28, 2020

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

charliebravo77 posted:

Gimme 24 hours. I'm grouse hunting near their factory this weekend and evidently their factory store has blemished rods for like half off.

Ooo poo poo, take some pics

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress, i havent gone on a bird hunt in almost twenty years :(

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Gooch181 posted:

Tenkara should be perfect for pulling up a panfish lunch! I don't have location specific advice, but bluegills and such are god damned everywhere and delicious.
That was kinda my original plan, but I've had 0 luck. I mainly don't even know where to take it that would be appropriate.
The local creek has some sunfish and bass, and supposedly trout I've never seen. I've tried to fish it, and had a few strikes but never hooked anything. I'm not sure how safe eating out of it is? It runs right through heavy residential areas.

The river and the lake are too big I think.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

eSporks posted:

I'm not sure how safe eating out of it is? It runs right through heavy residential areas.

Not safe!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Man, this looks like Chas Harbor. Nice reel!

Farking Bastage posted:

He did. Taught me a lot over the years before he lost his poo poo one day and shot my mom in the face point blank with a .44 magnum.

Holy poo poo....:ughh:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Didn't think so.
Not sure where else the tenkara rod is suited.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Good weekend fishing until I lost yet another whopper plopper (this time to a bad knot rather than an angry goose).

Many bass not pictured, but got to the point where my thumb was sore. Good poo poo. Also caught trout up in the mountains.

And got a sweet cabelas clearance shirt

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Those fish are loving pristine. Gorgeous.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I like that post:

Salsa avatar, check
Fish trying to eat a huge lure, check
Muskie shirt check

Edit: I want that shirt really bad, was it online or in the store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009