Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
That's cool. How do those casters work to create the oversteer? Do they transfer the weight forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

They raise up with a controller the instructor has to reduce grip.

I think they're split front and rear so you can force oversteer and understeer.

Mid Ohio school has a bunch like that too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

More fun option, throw narrow width spare tires on your car and find a big open area to slide around. I threw a set of 15+ year old, 175 width tires on the locost and went drifting...it was a great way to learn control and kill some old tires.

Relevant video - Chris Harris with a AMG Merc on donuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Don't waste your money with Nine Lives Racing, that is all. I gave them another chance because I figured the first time was new company problems.

e: story time,

I own one of the original run of S2000 wings, ordered 9/20/2018. Arrived in early-October 2018 with the wrong endplates that were also drilled out incorrectly and 9LIVE cut out of the uprights instead of 9LIVES (:lol:)

On 4/27/20 I ordered a set of chassis mount uprights for my 68" 9LR wing since my trunk has started cracking around the upright mounting holes and it has pulled (bent) the trunk lid up in the front. Their site lists the S2000 chassis mount wing as "5-6 weeks for pre orders, 2.5-3 weeks for production wings", but I haven't received anything and I'm not really getting any true updates out of them.

Monday 4/27 - Ordered #1307, listed as "Please allow 5-6 weeks for pre orders, 2.5-3 weeks for production wings."
Monday 6/8 - I Emailed with no reply
Friday 6/12 - I Called with no answer
Friday 6/12 - I Sent FB Message, told the stands would be cut this week by Johnny
Friday 6/26 - I Sent FB Message asking for a refund if they hadn't been cut yet. Read on 6/27 but not replied to.
Tuesday 6/30 - I Called, told the parts were at the powder coating stage
Thursday 7/2 - 9LR Emailed and told me that the parts were shipping
Wednesday 7/8 - Parts Arrived
Thursday 7/8 - I Opened package and found missing hardware, extra hardware, the new hardware was undersized for the existing wing, terrible welds on the box mounts, the uprights weren't deburred after laser cutting, and the upright metal looks like someone dropped a bunch of ball bearings on it randomly.
Thursday 7/8 - Emailed 9LR asking wtf

Anyway, I guess I will buy the hardware I need and 3d print some spacers to make the new smaller hardware work with the larger wing holes. I'm SUPPOSED to be getting a new wing element from Zebulon MSC that will fit these mounts, so we will see.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 10, 2020

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I took my e36 m3 out for my first and probably only track day of the year yesterday. Everything went great until the end of the last session when a power steering hose let go and blew fluid all over my tires going into a reducing radius carousel. I managed to save it but that was a pucker moment.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

honda whisperer posted:

They raise up with a controller the instructor has to reduce grip.

I think they're split front and rear so you can force oversteer and understeer.

Mid Ohio school has a bunch like that too.

I drove them at mid ohio. They were so much fun and incredibly good instruction. I wish I could have a set at home.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Out at PPIR this weekend for Gridlife Horizon Festival. Fastest lap in my yata so far is a 1:13 and some change. Car is running great. My dad and I are running back to back sessions between intermediate / advanced HPDE ~40 - 60 mins of hard driving and the car isn't missing a beat.

e: last session of the day I shaved some time off. Down to 1:12.2

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 16, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
May as well post the video since I uploaded it for the local FB group and it was a pretty sketchy lap on a track config I hadn't run before.

Last night was a shitshow, but I won TT4. I only ran the warmup, a ten minute session (this lap), and about three minutes of a third session since I couldn't see a loving thing after the sun went down. My friend ran a half a second quicker in the warmup session on sticker R7s but chose not to claim it or run another session since he wasn't contingency eligible and was coaching/running DE also.

Sally McNulty was also in my class with her TCA Civic Si on Hoosiers, but I didn't look to see how she did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwnsJ47wnHs

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 24, 2020

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

May as well post the video since I uploaded it for the local FB group and it was a pretty sketchy lap on a track config I hadn't run before.

Last night was a shitshow, but I won TT4. I only ran the warmup, a ten minute session (this lap), and about three minutes of a third session since I couldn't see a loving thing after the sun went down. My friend ran a half a second quicker in the warmup session on sticker R7s but chose not to claim it or run another session since he wasn't contingency eligible and was coaching/running DE also.

Sally McNulty was also in my class with her TCA Civic Si on Hoosiers, but I didn't look to see how she did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwnsJ47wnHs

Hustling! That layout looks very challenging.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:). It is pretty tight and if you get too greedy you're gonna be buying a new wheel by way of the dug out areas around the curbs.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

As a total novice to watching or understanding any of this, is the fact that you had to deal with another car on the track while trying to presumably get the fastest lap time normal? It looked like at the very end there it would have slowed you down a little having to navigate around them versus running on an empty track.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, it is pretty normal. We split into big bore / small bore for time trials groups here, TTU-TT3 / TT4-TT6. The idea is that no one would hold anyone else up since the lap times should be kind of grouped and you wouldn't have the massive closing speed differences that you get between like a Viper ACR and a supersized Spec Miata.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work the best in small bore locally. This is from another event earlier this year:
http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/...l%20Classes.pdf

I ran a 1:03, fastest time of the event irrespective of class, in small bore. We also had TT6 cars doing 1:10-1:14 in the same group meaning I was catching traffic no matter what after 6-7 laps, or roughly half way through the session. Just means you need to put the times down right away otherwise you're done, it sucks but that is how it goes.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

As a total novice to watching or understanding any of this, is the fact that you had to deal with another car on the track while trying to presumably get the fastest lap time normal? It looked like at the very end there it would have slowed you down a little having to navigate around them versus running on an empty track.

Totally. TT will run in groups of hopefully similar speed cars. Having to deal with traffic is a normal part of this.

Ideally you drive well and luck into a lap where nobody's in your way at the same time.

Even hpde 1 where the newest driver's start there are many cars on track. For this though you're only allowed to pass on straights when pointed by.

Getting a track to yourself is very expensive.

Efb

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That second gear downshift at the end thooooo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Basically, TT is a game of a first session out lap where you're either leading or you allow enough space to be able to put down your fastest lap time of the day before you catch traffic :v:

We also run time attack locally where you go out in groups of three cars for a half a warmup lap, two hot laps, and half a cooldown lap so there is never traffic.

Ziploc posted:

That second gear downshift at the end thooooo

yolo, motor got 176k miles on it, gonna pop some day

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

yolo, motor got 176k miles on it, gonna pop some day

gently caress I want an s2k

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 wincing as he prepares for 7 PMs from me asking his advice on shitbox midwest s2ks with salvage titles that I will never actually buy

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

BlackMK4 wincing as he prepares for 7 PMs from me asking his advice on shitbox midwest s2ks with salvage titles that I will never actually buy

do it do it do it do it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Considering that track also gets used for (really, really, really fun) gokarts, there's not a lot of room there no matter how you slice it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Considering that track also gets used for (really, really, really fun) gokarts, there's not a lot of room there no matter how you slice it.

Yeaaaa.... They just repaved though, so that's nice.

Looks like I'm probably going up to Utah Motorsports Campus / Miller Motorsports Park in a couple of weeks. My friend is buying an Exige S240 track car that comes with a 14.7ft Featherlite trailer so I agreed to buy the trailer; it was agreed upon to rent the car for a day before wiring money and all.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It came up in a conversation I was having so I looked up cg-locks again and while I have one already it looks like the company that made them went under so unless you buy NOS or a used one there's not really anything that is equivalent you could buy. Any other options for a similar system when using a factory 3-point?
I briefly looked at the Schroth QuickFit but if you are using a 4-point harness you should probably also use a HANS as well right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That sucks that they went under. I like my CG-Lock, but I haven't put it into any of the most recent cars I've gotten.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Any harness recommendations other than Schroth for a 6pt that has enduro style adjustable crotch straps?

I'm looking at a Schroth Profi 2x2 FHR, but I'm open to other brands.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

net work error posted:

I briefly looked at the Schroth QuickFit but if you are using a 4-point harness you should probably also use a HANS as well right?

Schroth Quick Fit are OK to use without HANS (the ASM that makes them act like a 3-point belt in a crash also help prevent BSF and will interfere with a typical HANS). You should not use any other kind of 4-point harness at all.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I've never preferred 4pts over CGLocked 3pts. Every time I try to do up a 4pt my waist belt is not as tight as I want to be since your shoulder belts will pull up on your waist belt.

It doesn't help that most 4pts have pull down waist adjustment. And that just sucks to get tight.

My CGLock gets so tight can bruise my hip bones. I'm not moving in my seat with one of those. I gain over an inch of headroom too lol.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Finally, after more than a year, I got to drive the formula ford. Took it out to my friends drift/kart track yesterday morning for a run to see what issues popped up. Very glad I didn't tow hours or pay for a real track day...

Didn't bring fuel, had way less remaining in the tank than I thought.
I've never sat in the poured seat with my suit on...
-seat too tight with suit on
-throttle cable is pinched between seat and frame
-my legs are too close to steering wheel, hands hit top of legs
-anti-sub straps are a touch too short
Need to build a simple headrest

So not a great run but it felt good to finally do a couple laps in it. Gives me some easy stuff to tinker with and the car ran great otherwise.

October is a bit of a mess but I'm trying to find a track day to run the car before the big SCCA event at Road Atlanta the first weekend of Nov.

We stuck around for a while afterwards to watch drifting, on the drive home the wife asked if I thought she could do it. So next open track day in two weeks she'll be driving the 320i or the Locost starting with some basic car control :getin:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 27, 2020

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
If I sponsor a spec miata car via my business, and race it myself, can I write it all off on my taxes?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

So not a great run but it felt good to finally do a couple laps in it. Gives me some easy stuff to tinker with and the car ran great otherwise.

We stuck around for a while afterwards to watch drifting, on the drive home the wife asked if I thought she could do it. So next open track day in two weeks she'll be driving the 320i or the Locost starting with some basic car control :getin:

Always nice to have a todo list :)

:hellyeah: on the wife getting into it too

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Oz Fox posted:

If I sponsor a spec miata car via my business, and race it myself, can I write it all off on my taxes?

Depends. Do you enjoy being sodomized by the IRS?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oz Fox posted:

You have to prove that your business is trying to make a profit and that you seriously using the racing to promote it. If you haul your wares/services to the track and promote them there, use your car/trophies/pics in other promotions, and generally are actually leaning into it, then maybe.

And if you try it you may have the opportunity to fight the irs in court over it. Some win some don't.

IANAL

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

SlapActionJackson posted:

Depends. Do you enjoy being sodomized by the IRS?

Better than being sodomized by a live axle?

Seriously though, I think you have to show that any racing is professional and that you actually earn something, from which you can deduct expenses. I think GRM had an article about this a while ago, no clue what issue though.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 29, 2020

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

honda whisperer already gave a serious answer, but to expand on it "ordinary and necessary" is the magic phrase when it comes to deducting business expenses.

If you're an actual professional race team, in it for profit, and have actually turned a profit, then writing off the cost of campaigning the car is definitely legitimate.

Most people trying this one trick the IRS hates, though, are orthodontists who have wrapped the car with their practice's logo and are trying to deduct the racing expenses as advertising for the practice. That's not legit, the IRS will definitely figure it out, and they'll owe back taxes and penalties.

There's also the fact that motorsports expenses are a huge "audit me" red flag, and you are very likely to have to endure audits even if you have a colorable claim. So much so that one guy I know who probably could legitimately deduct some racing expenses (a pro driver developemnt coach) never did - he flat out said it wasn't worth the hassle.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 30, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, I today was to be my first day in the Miata. First session out I binned the car.

I was slowly getting comfortable with the thing at a pace 3-4 seconds slower than the S2000, came into the braking zone off the straight, brakes went into what would be described as 'ice mode', and then the steering wheel pulled quick left. I had nowhere to go but through a chainlink fence and tire wall so I went further left to try and miss as much as I could. Didn't work out.

Messaged the PO and he said that he'd had the ice mode thing before and usually had ABS disabled. Would have been nice to know prior.

Not a bad way to light $20k on fire. Not really much else to say, pretty loving embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8szuGfdoBY

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 4, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That really sucks dude, I feel the pain in my soul. I'm glad you're okay at least :smith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Messaged the PO and he said that he'd had the ice mode thing before and usually had ABS disabled. Would have been nice to know prior.

Fuuuuuuck. Before I re-read this I was going to ask if the track was dirty or oily from whatever unseen car in front of you kicked up the dust.

That sucks.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What does the car look like? Frame time for sure, but I doubt the car is totalled from that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, I today was to be my first day in the Miata. First session out I binned the car.

I was slowly getting comfortable with the thing at a pace 3-4 seconds slower than the S2000, came into the braking zone off the straight, brakes went into what would be described as 'ice mode', and then the steering wheel pulled quick left. I had nowhere to go but through a chainlink fence and tire wall so I went further left to try and miss as much as I could. Didn't work out.

Not a bad way to light $20k on fire. Not really much else to say, pretty loving embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8szuGfdoBY

drat. Glad youre OK man.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

That really sucks dude, I feel the pain in my soul. I'm glad you're okay at least :smith:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thanks everyone :unsmith:

FatCow posted:

What does the car look like? Frame time for sure, but I doubt the car is totalled from that.

The front seems easy -- new fender, new bumper skin / air dam, new splitter

The rear is ...not. The wing was mounted to the drip rails of the quarter, so it twisted the quarters a bit. Frame rails seem straight and unkinked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

That looks painful, glad you're okay. What year is yours again? I don't know if this is just how ABS works, but in my '99NB if you wind up engaging AB with low pedal force it will pulse with that level of braking force. Braking over a crest or at the wrong time over a bump results in basically no braking force if the abs kicks in. It looked like you went through a cloud of dirt just prior, I wonder if a car ahead dropped some dirt on the track that you managed to find.