Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I mean...Not ruling it out. Do you have what the shoot hockey player's up with? I am sort of walking around and I have high hopes of at least trying.

I'll order some smelling salts. You'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

My wife and I were going to ride up in Fraser/Winter Park today, but the Williams Fork fire and a 30-minute delay on 70 this morning had us detour down to Buffalo Creek.

Good call, when my wife and I left winter park traffic headed west was backed up at least ten miles.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Buffalo creek is legit my favorite in CO. I know its not the hardest but its so much fun and I think im at just the right skill level for it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

First snow ride of the season yesterday. :black101:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

DeesGrandpa posted:

Buffalo creek is legit my favorite in CO. I know its not the hardest but its so much fun and I think im at just the right skill level for it.

I swear I think it sucks but everybody working for me thinks it's spectacular, I hate you all

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Anyone ever get a cross chain issue with a new chain and rear cassette? Easy fix?

The gears index nice and smooth and everything 'feels' ok - but there is a decent crunch under load. Google says its a common problem I feel I'd get a better answer here though.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

thatguy posted:

I swear I think it sucks but everybody working for me thinks it's spectacular, I hate you all

I actually agree with you to some degree, but there isn’t anywhere else you can ride that much continuous singletrack in the state if you want to put together a big day. There’s 50 plus miles of singletrack out there. It’s (as in this instance) a great place to take all levels of riders if you can string together a route that avoids the killer climb trails. You can ride it literally all year; the decomposed granite drains better than anywhere else. The views are top notch too.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

thatguy posted:

What makes you dislike it?

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Buff Creek has a lot going for it but its just a little too far away and too green to be a draw for me. 70 mins to Buff Creek, 40 to Floyd Hill, 30 to White Ranch. If you've got other demands on your free time it's tough to get excited about spending an hour in the car that I could be doing a second Belcher/Longhorn lap.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Mexican Radio posted:

it's tough to get excited about spending an hour in the car that I could be doing a second Belcher/Longhorn lap.

:hmmyes:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

h3r0n posted:

Anyone ever get a cross chain issue with a new chain and rear cassette? Easy fix?

The gears index nice and smooth and everything 'feels' ok - but there is a decent crunch under load. Google says its a common problem I feel I'd get a better answer here though.

Decent crunch under load when you're shifting or just pedalling normally? What components do you have? Is it possible your chain is mounted backwards (facing the wrong way)? I've never had a drivetrain that didn't complain a bit if you shifted under load but it shouldn't make any sound once you're in gear.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

kimbo305 posted:

How for the same model of tire/rim, how much heavier does a 29" wheel end up being? From what I've noticed, HTA and front center do more to slow down steering than the extra weight being moved (from the axles about the center of mass and separately, the mass of the front wheel about the steering axis).

I'm not sure to be honest, and this was in 2016 so I'm sure 29ers have improved since. For me personally the sensation of getting off a 650b bike and straight onto a 29er was unpleasant; the big wheel bike was super fun on fast flowy stuff, but there's trails I struggle to get a modern slack bike around with 650b wheels and the extra wheel size and weight made the trail actively impossible to ride.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Decent crunch under load when you're shifting or just pedalling normally? What components do you have? Is it possible your chain is mounted backwards (facing the wrong way)? I've never had a drivetrain that didn't complain a bit if you shifted under load but it shouldn't make any sound once you're in gear.

Pedaling normally under load.

XT cassette, KMC 11 spd chain, Raceface 32 T chainring. I *think* the fix is a new chainring as the old is / has worn with the old chain.

Like the beginning of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzqZxtW4xJk

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Biking in Colorado > everywhere else. The climb was brutal but the downhill was well worth it. I had tried checking out the USAFA Falcon trail but the base is still closed to non DOD personnel. Kinda bummed but this was a solid alternative.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

yoohoo posted:

Biking in Colorado > everywhere else.

:actually:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

yoohoo posted:

Biking in Colorado > everywhere else. The climb was brutal but the downhill was well worth it. I had tried checking out the USAFA Falcon trail but the base is still closed to non DOD personnel. Kinda bummed but this was a solid alternative.

Glad to hear that, stay there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

n8r posted:

Glad to hear that, stay there.

Rude.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

yoohoo posted:

Biking > not biking

Fixed that for you.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

rngd in the womb posted:

Fixed that for you.

:hmmyes:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Decided I would sign up for a 45-50 mile race in a couple weekends, so yesterday I went out to get some miles in. It was slick and I crashed twice, the last being a fairly major one. I'm bruised and sore, but I already ordered a replacement rotor for my bent one.

I'm still going to try to finish that damned race.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Start on some green/blues and work your way up. Knee pads and elbow pads are a good idea. A full face helmet just depends on how rowdy you are going to get. I find that most blue and even black trails at bike parks are not really any harder than other trails not at the bike park (at least I feel this is true in CO) where I just wear a regular helmet.

I think your bike will be fine for your first time. I ride my Trek Fuel at the parks here which is 130/130. Renting a bike might be fun but I would probably just ride what you got, figure out the bike park, and rent next time.

Checking in to report that all went well on baby's first park day. It will not be the last. The bike performed flawlessly and a good time was had by all. By far my favorite trail of the day was Skyline on the western side of the park. It's a flow and jump trail. The first time down I just ran all the jumps like tabletops to see what was what. The second time I started actually hitting jumps and the third time I hit as many as I could.

Here's video from the 2nd run, please pardon the blurriness as it is an older Session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZz7E8FOlpQ&t=2s

This was the only injury of the day:

It was due to wearing the wrong gloves and the fork being too low which put too much of my weight over the front fork.

And this pic is just too pretty not to post:

New River Gorge, Glade Creek camping area, West Virginia

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Seems like I'm going the right way with bike changes. Suspension is feeling good with the lower volume spacer and slightly higher air pressure. Better balance where the rear doesn't feel overly soft compared to the front, but still great compliance over small stuff. Running this pressure with the bigger spacer beat the crap out of me and only used like 70-80mm of travel.

The other thing I'm trying is keeping the shock and fork in "trail" mode. With the fork especially, when fully open it seems like there's not a lot there beyond the air spring, and my pressure is on the low side which doesn't help. Middle might be right on the edge of being too much but at least I notice it's there. An actual adjustment knob would be really nice.

The little bit closer reach is a good change too. Feeling more comfortable and more in control.

Other thing is I need to get off my usual smooth trails. The other day I was out on some rougher and steeper stuff and had a really nice time.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Arishtat posted:

New River Gorge, Glade Creek camping area, West Virginia

I love those trucks! Nice. There are some fun trails up on the Fayetteville side of the Gorge next to Arrowhead Bike Farm, which is a cool and good place with camping and a little restaurant. I've heard there are very good trails at the Boy Scout camp nearby but they weren't open to the public when I was there.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

VacaGrande posted:

I love those trucks! Nice. There are some fun trails up on the Fayetteville side of the Gorge next to Arrowhead Bike Farm, which is a cool and good place with camping and a little restaurant. I've heard there are very good trails at the Boy Scout camp nearby but they weren't open to the public when I was there.

Thanks! We were super pleased with how well our vehicles and load outs performed as this was the first time we tried ‘overlanding’ in the proper sense of the word which is to say drive > camp overnight > drive > camp, etc as opposed to stay in one place.

I have the Bike Farm bookmarked for future reference.

To get back to biking the downhill bug has definitely bitten. Since coming back I ordered a new handlebar with some rise and will be replacing the brake pads that I thrashed last weekend (they were kinda due before and now they are *really* due). I’m also hoping to get to Bryce Mountain before the MTB season ends as I hear that they have more progressive features so I can learn how to tackle drops.

If anyone in the area wants to make a day of it hit me up.

Also my daughter really wants a proper bike so we’re going to see about making that happen. She’s of an age now where she can fit a full size bike so I’m hoping to nab a good used one for her once we figure out sizing.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Hello Thread (and SA it's been a while!)

I'm looking into getting more seriously into MTB than my KHS Alite 300 (2007) will allow. Even out of shape and on the lower end of cardio capability this thing just feels bad out on my local trails in OKC. Plus I never really got the hang of 3 front gears. I often find myself completely in the wrong gear coming out of a downhill into an uphill, frantically trying to change front and back to make it up without having to stop. And failing.

To that I'd like to upgrade this spring. Initially when I started looking around I had landed on a Rosco 7 from Trek. But then over the past couple months I found out about Bentonville and all the fun that can be had with downhill there. In OKC we have next to 0 of that. But I'd like to start planning trips to Bentonville since it's not too far out for me. So that started to change my research a bit. I am now leaning more towards an entry level full suspension.

I have narrowed it down to the Polygon D7 (2021), and the Marin Hawkhill 1. Trying to keep the budget down under about 1700. At this point the D7 is looking more appealing cause it has a dropper post. And at our local pump track that I take my son too, and some of our upsy downy trails, a dropper post would be nice. But I know I can put one in after market if I need too.

So I come to the great think tank to tell me... which one should I buy? I'm never going to be a high end shredder. I just want to have some fun on some downhill stuff while still being perfectly capable in the stuff we have in OKC that is mostly flat or loooong uphill with short down sections.

One big Pro for the Marin is I can get it in 24" and have a matching bike with my son. But.. that dropper post on the D7!

*edit*
P.S. I was originally planning on entering with a Trek Fuel Ex 5, but I"m having trouble committing my mind to a $2300 bike, when I could get 2 full suspension bikes for 3k and end up with one for my son. Though I'm starting to lean back to it in my mind..

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 30, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kilazar posted:

To that I'd like to upgrade this spring. Initially when I started looking around I had landed on a Rosco 7 from Trek. But then over the past couple months I found out about Bentonville and all the fun that can be had with downhill there. In OKC we have next to 0 of that. But I'd like to start planning trips to Bentonville since it's not too far out for me. So that started to change my research a bit. I am now leaning more towards an entry level full suspension.

I have narrowed it down to the Polygon D7 (2021), and the Marin Hawkhill 1.

Not sure how downhill you want to get, but the Siskiu D7 is pretty tame geometry and low travel. The Siskiu T7 is $100 more, has a much bigger travel fork, is slacker, and has a more aggressive tire. The Hawkhill is a little less travel and aggressive than the T7.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks! An extra $100 isn't hard to swing. So the Poly is the winner here then?

I want to do ALL THE THINGS! But if I'm being honest with myself, I'll probably be taking all of the downhill stuff pretty gingerly. I been trying to teach myself to manual for the past month and have gotten nowhere. Part of it is motivation, part of it is my seat just keeps getting in the way on my current bike and that is driving my motivation down. So blazing downhill and doing jumps and drops is not going to happen for a while. I mostly just want my bike to be ready for when I'm ready.

And.. I'm not in the best of shape, I'm about 240 (down from 250 since I started riding in beginning of August so yay!). And compared to my current bike ANY improved geometry is going to be a massive improvement.

Also downhill won't be my main focus as I live in flat rear end Oklahoma. Loong low grade ups and short not much better downs when there is any variation in terrain. At least from the trails I have ridden so far. There is one trail that is very "spikey" lots of sharp sudden ups with sharp sudden downs back to flat then sharp ups again. So whichever of the 3 bikes will be best for my home terrain while affording me the once or twice a year downhill trip's.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 30, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Kilazar posted:

I'm looking into getting more seriously into MTB than my KHS Alite 300 (2007) will allow.

Holy awesome! My first mountain bike was a used Alite 500 (2002) and it still works, my buddy has been losing tons of weight using it in conjunction with his diet.

I can only recommend what I've been riding the past 18 months, a 27.5" Giant Trance 3 (2019). It's been a great bike in all respects, and just looking at it makes me want to ride.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Holy awesome! My first mountain bike was a used Alite 500 (2002) and it still works, my buddy has been losing tons of weight using it in conjunction with his diet.

I can only recommend what I've been riding the past 18 months, a 27.5" Giant Trance 3 (2019). It's been a great bike in all respects, and just looking at it makes me want to ride.

Right on! I do like my KHS when I'm just generally on the road or tooling around a mostly flat trail. Just feels limited when I want to get more aggresive or try to learn to do things where the seat needs to be down lower. It just doesn't get low enough to get out of my way.

I really need to work on my diet a bit more. I would probably be closer to 215 with how much riding I've been doing over the past couple months... but I love food. I just been working on eating smaller portions instead of cutting out things I like.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kilazar posted:

Also downhill won't be my main focus as I live in flat rear end Oklahoma. Loong low grade ups and short not much better downs when there is any variation in terrain. At least from the trails I have ridden so far. There is one trail that is very "spikey" lots of sharp sudden ups with sharp sudden downs back to flat then sharp ups again. So whichever of the 3 bikes will be best for my home terrain while affording me the once or twice a year downhill trip's.

If that's mostly what you'll be riding, the D7 might be a better fit. You can have fun on any bike, but if most of what you're doing is pedaling through rough but flat trails, the shorter travel on the D7 will be more efficient.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

If that's mostly what you'll be riding, the D7 might be a better fit. You can have fun on any bike, but if most of what you're doing is pedaling through rough but flat trails, the shorter travel on the D7 will be more efficient.

Thanks! D7 it is then!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kimbo305 posted:

Not sure how downhill you want to get, but the Siskiu D7 is pretty tame geometry and low travel. The Siskiu T7 is $100 more, has a much bigger travel fork, is slacker, and has a more aggressive tire. The Hawkhill is a little less travel and aggressive than the T7.

I like the thoughts on the T7. I think the D7 will be fun anywhere and be really good in Oklahoma. From what I have seen of Bentonville (haven't been my self) the T7 may be a better fit but the D7 will be solid as well. One reason to maybe consider the T7 is the OP is not that far from New Mexico/Colorado for some 4-5 day trips.

E: Also the T7 has Boost on the front shock which is preferable imo. Also a 12 speed drivetrain.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 30, 2020

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

spwrozek posted:

From what I have seen of Bentonville (haven't been my self)

It's looking like deong and I are heading that way in Dec. I'll get you a commemorative spoon

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Where can a fella find a shimano I spec II mounting bracket for a dropper remote in the time of Covid? I had a wee bit of a crash on the weekend and the mounting piece sheared off in the fall. Impossible to find locally. As far as I can tell it's a generic lever that came on my 2018 Stumpjumper. The post itself is X-Fusion Manic,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Killed a chain and my brake pads in less than 2 months on the new bike. But also 875mi and 120k feet up then back down in that time.

With another bleed and some new metallic pads I'm finally reasonably happy with how the brakes feel. Was on the verge of replacing them with those fancy xtr trail brakes but that would make my brakes and group not match so and I decided to hold off on spending a whole bunch more money.

New chain is nicer than the old one

Nica practice tonight was fun. I had some of the faster middle school kids and they were great. They came up with a plan of where they wanted to ride and we wound up doing 2.5 laps on the upper trails and climbing 2200 feet. Even took the steep road climb to the top every time because it was shorter and faster.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 2, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

the front tire's wobble is way too much for me to bear looking at on the road, so gonna have to try again after my hands and forearms are rested up.

I gave this a go a while back to no avail. Sprayed soapy water all around, tried to massage the water into the bead, used my nicer tire levers to put more pressure into them, no luck.
At one point I was doing a pushup with a lever in each hand, and the bead just woudn't budge off the hook.

Pervert that I am, I decided to downgrade to Cushcore XC, which has the notched inner edge, which is supposed to make it easier to install. Remove, who knows.
Ordered a 2.4" Rekon, too. Should I downgrade the tire?
2.3" DHF is probably the worse case tire -- stiffest and tightest. I like the grip out here, but it's not necessary.

Pros for the Rekon: lighter, bit wider, maybe easier to install.

Once the cushcore is in, I'll do another attempt at getting the DHF off.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm not all that thrilled with the rekon. For a light "xc" tire it seems to roll fairly slowly, but then for an "aggressive xc" tire it doesn't have all that much grip. More than an ikon or rekon race or aspen I suppose. The 2.3 dhf front, 2.25 rekon rear combo I currently have works pretty well but I'm looking for a little more balanced setup. Next year I might do the barzo/mezcal like on the hardtail, or nobby nic / racing ralph.

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 3, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Would it be weird to run Rekon front, Aggressor rear? The knobs are small, but not as tiny as the whatever stock tires on my 27+ Fues.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, kind of weird. The aggressor has more and bigger knobs and I think it would work better the other way around. It is designed more as a rear but I see them as front tires occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

But I'm too cowardly to even attempt unmounting the unwobbly rear :negative:
The other option I looked at was a slightly wider and hopefully looser 2.5 DHF. But could also do 2.6 DHF.