Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

tk posted:

This reminded me of bliss.jpg and I like it.
I'm not familiar. Is that like calm.jpg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Ric posted:

I'm not familiar. Is that like calm.jpg?

LOL! This forum is such a bloody comedy goldmine.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Cross-post from mf/LF thread

Cody835 by Cody P, on Flickr

Cody836-1 by Cody P, on Flickr

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

finally uploaded some things from my memory card:

DSCF1786 by King Dugga, on Flickr
I tried a few different crops of this, but while I think I prefer the SOC framing, I have issues with it and I don't know what they are. I'm not sure if it's the building on the right, or maybe I need to do some lens correction to straighten the verticals. Any advice?

DSCF1808 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF1809 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

I tried a few different crops of this, but while I think I prefer the SOC framing, I have issues with it and I don't know what they are. I'm not sure if it's the building on the right, or maybe I need to do some lens correction to straighten the verticals. Any advice?

That's tough. I feel like unless you can do some perspective shift to correct both, I'd leave as is.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

finally uploaded some things from my memory card:

DSCF1786 by King Dugga, on Flickr

Vertical keystone would be a good start.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Two more shots from the same trip just processed:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Blackhawk posted:

Two more shots from the same trip just processed:

^^^ This is just gorgeous

Some phone shots

Teide by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Lunt Meadows by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

jarlywarly posted:

Some phone shots

Teide by Aves Lux, on Flickr

I like the miniature feeling I get from this one.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Lots of cool stuff on this page! I especially like this one. I often find myself liking vertical shots a lot, but I never know how to do them. I always feel like I'm cutting off so much landscape. Anyone have tips? Do you compose them in the shutter, or do you sometimes crop a landscape photo after the fact?

Back in June, I made a day trip to Petrified Forest National Park.

It was very windy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the spot warrants it I shoot a vertical and a landscape version, cropping in post works but I need ALL the pixels.

Or shoot square (if your camera lets you select an aspect ratio) and then it doesn't matter anymore!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cinestill 800t. Read a suggestion of shooting it at 500 for bright daylight and it seems to work!.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
your colors are still hosed up af

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Took a trip to a few different places recently.

SwissDonkey fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 22, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Beautiful pic of Bris, really digging it. Bit bias tho.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Megabound posted:

Beautiful pic of Bris, really digging it. Bit bias tho.

Thank you! The lights that are up at the moment for that laser show thing are awesome, I'm kicking myself for not spending a bit more time wandering around Southbank in the evening. Only had a single night there unfortunately.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Those are pretty awesome, Dread Head.

Here are some photos from a visit to Salk last October. I'm super indecisive about editing and finally got around to cutting myself off.

IMG_3131 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3135 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3156 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3193 by Dan, on Flickr

I loved the way the light peaked through all of the openings in the walkways or the way the angled planes caught it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Really love this one

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I like this style for landscapes, and I've seen it elsewhere in this thread, but I'm not sure I have the right vocabulary for it. It's kind of a soft appearance, without deep blacks or sharp colors. Kind of old-timey. Is desaturated the right term? Sepia tone-ish? This is a something that you activity go for in post-processing, right?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DorianGravy posted:

I like this style for landscapes, and I've seen it elsewhere in this thread, but I'm not sure I have the right vocabulary for it. It's kind of a soft appearance, without deep blacks or sharp colors. Kind of old-timey. Is desaturated the right term? Sepia tone-ish? This is a something that you activity go for in post-processing, right?

Nah, just wait for forest fires and you're good to go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the extinction event aesthetic.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Even though our border was closed smoke from the US crossed (ILLEGAL).

But yeah not special filter/editing it was just hazy from wildfire smoke. Created less photo opportunities than I was expecting and all it did was make me grateful for the clean air we have for nearly all of the year.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dread Head posted:

Even though our border was closed smoke from the US crossed (ILLEGAL).

It was just on it's way up to Alaska to vacation.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Like both of these a lot.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Don't know if the soft focus fence rail is too distracting or not, I was more focused on the further scenery.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mount Birwood by Cacator, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008