Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I think The Algebraist by Iain Banks was another setting with a prohibition on thinking machines? Except iirc in that case computers were still fine as long as they weren't conscious. I vaguely remember an interesting flashback bit to when the protagonist was a kid and his noble family were all enthusiastically going out to hunt down and gank an AI that was hiding out on top of a mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I mean yeah you could do something interesting with the Butlerian Jihad or you could just have this

quote:

The Butlerian Jihad introduces a generation of characters whose families will later become the most significant in the universe: the Atreides, the Corrinos and the Harkonnens. Serena Butler, daughter of the viceroy of the League of Nobles, is a strong voice for the human rebellion. Her paramour Xavier Harkonnen leads the military force on the current League capital world of Salusa Secundus. As the story begins, Xavier is repelling an attack on the planet by Omnius' army of cymeks. The cymeks are former humans whose brains have been implanted in preservation canisters, which in turn can be installed into a variety of fearsome mechanical bodies, to extend their lives indefinitely and make them nearly unstoppable. The original twenty cymeks (calling themselves the Titans) had conquered the complacent universe by exploiting humanity's reliance and dependency on machines, yet the Titans were later overthrown themselves by Omnius, an artificial intelligence of their design. Seeking to replace human chaos with machine order, Omnius thus ignited the war between machine and humanity. Vorian Atreides is the son and subordinate of the leading cymek Titan Agamemnon (whose last name, Atreides, originates with House Atreus, from the ancient Greek epic the Iliad).

Meanwhile, the Sorceresses of Rossak, a matriarchal order, are perfecting their destructive psychic powers for use against the machines, and maintaining a breeding program to create more powerful telepaths. Pharmaceutical magnate Aurelius Venport is about to discover an interesting new substance, the spice melange, and the famous inventor Tio Holtzman accepts the diminutive genius Norma Cenva into his employ.

Serena is captured by the Titan Barbarossa and put under the watch of Erasmus, an independent robot who seeks to understand humans completely so that the thinking machines may be truly superior. His methods of study often entail human vivisection and torture in his slave pens. Erasmus takes a liking to Serena, as does the young Vorian Atreides. Serena realizes she is pregnant with Xavier's child, and later gives birth to a baby boy whom she names Manion (after her father). Erasmus finds this distraction inconvenient, and not only removes Serena's uterus but kills her young son in front of her.

This single event incites the entire Jihad, and young Manion is soon labelled the first martyr, Manion the Innocent. Vorian, learning about the murder and realizing the lie he lives as a machine trustee, betrays his machine masters and flees with Serena. They are joined by another trustee, Iblis Ginjo, a slave leader who masterminds the rebellion on Synchronized Earth.

The first human victory of the so-called Butlerian Jihad is the destruction of Earth and the Earth Omnius using atomics. Iblis (now Grand Patriarch of the Holy Jihad) and Serena (Priestess of the Jihad) are the religious leaders of the human rebellion, and Xavier and Vorian its two generals. The brutal Titans are desperate to break free of their machine masters and wage their own techno-misanthropic war, and Omnius and Erasmus are determined to conquer and destroy all of humanity once and for all.

And on a lonely desert planet known as Arrakis, the seeds of legend are sown with Selim Wormrider, an outcast from his tribe, who sees the future of Shai-Hulud and makes it his mission to save his god from those who would wish to take the spice.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Wow, Frank’s notes!

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I've always read it as being explicitly psychic. Thats why the dune tarot would act as white noise. Why something like a noglobe would work

The atreides manifesto confirms this, and details how the prescient, rather than reading the future, instead creates that future

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's actually pretty cool/funny.

it's one of the more original touches in the setting. there's one story where they find a really super ancient titan, the giant godzilla bots, who is from the pre-emperor times, and it's insanely agile because it has artificial muscle instead of big pistols, all sorts of fancy weapons, and a sentient AI. it's a technological treasure trove, but unfortunately it made a pact with chaos while being stuck on the planet for thousands of years, and now its gun fires demons and it loves murder.

Pretty good posted:

I think The Algebraist by Iain Banks was another setting with a prohibition on thinking machines? Except iirc in that case computers were still fine as long as they weren't conscious. I vaguely remember an interesting flashback bit to when the protagonist was a kid and his noble family were all enthusiastically going out to hunt down and gank an AI that was hiding out on top of a mountain.

unrestricted self-modifying AI is pretty dangerous if it's at a certain level of sophistication. there's the old 'paperclip maximizer' thought experiment about an AI designed to improve paperclip production, and because there was no upper limit set on it it could wind up starting to convert the earth into paperclips, destroying all the militaries of the world (because they were intefering with its paperclip production) then eventually converting all matter into the universe with paperclips.

we don't seem very good as a species at forseeing consequences (leaded petrol, CFCs, thalidomide etc etc) so i don't know that i would trust us with some type of self modifying superfast AI. we'd end up all killed by the apple battery life extender AI when it figures out the best way to extend battery life is to kill us all so we can't drain the battery by using it. it's like making a wish with a genie: you gotta be really precise in your specifications.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

But we're also really, really good at murdering our way out of problems. It'll generate new problems down the road, but that's for the new and improved AI to deal with!

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I always saw prescience as the application of foundation's psychohistory but on humans and not computers.Paul is just crunching numbers using the combination of mentat training given to him, spice effects and his own hyper optimized genes for this type of stuff.He's doing the Sherlock Holmes slow mo fight calculation but on a galactic scale.

Someone in this thread wrote that Dune is Herbert'sresponse to the foundation but with the mule as the main character and it works.

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's actually pretty cool/funny.

There are also cursed sets of blueprints who will generate demonic monstrosities if you try to follow them.Warhammer 40K can be really funny but a lot of people try to purge any fun from it.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 28, 2020

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
I just read the wikkepedia article for Mighty Whitey. I love that poo poo. Anything funny and racist about white people, also magical negro I think I read about the first time here. I digress. That trailer was about as expectedly unexciting going by the pictures they released a while back. I couldn't imagine how it would be anything different. Definately rooting for Dennis V to get it right I might say. Blade Runner was tip top my less than mighty neighbros

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

phasmid posted:

There are limits to his prescience, just as there was with Leto II. I think perhaps an individual could never be a "perfect" precognitor (precognate?) because even with clairvoyance - a clear, unobstructed view of that "terrain" - the vision ends a little while after their death. Probably no one would want that kind of power. Hellfire might just make you into a drooling toadstool playing the finger harp on your lips.
Oh, sure - but perhaps more tellingly, later on Leto II points out that by using prescience, simply by observing the future, a lot of the limitless possibilities simply disappear.

I think it's likely Frank wanted to make it clear that Paul made his own jihad a reality by using prescience to try to avoid the jihad, as that seems to have been an underlying theme of the first book, but he wanted to spell it out.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Malcolm XML posted:

Isn't this the plot if Warhammer 40k

Nah it's just the writer room of Warhammer 40k

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

hump day bitches! posted:

I always saw prescience as the application of foundation's psychohistory but on humans and not computers.Paul is just crunching numbers using the combination of mentat training given to him, spice effects and his own hyper optimized genes for this type of stuff.He's doing the Sherlock Holmes slow mo fight calculation but on a galactic scale.

Someone in this thread wrote that Dune is Herbert'sresponse to the foundation but with the mule as the main character and it works.

I think unfortunately it can't be that because otherwise other prescients couldn't interfere with seeing the future, and it wouldn't be something you could breed people into being able to avoid since you're just talking about being really good at observing and extrapolating. At that point a no globe would be a machine that somehow keeps people from making educated guesses, it makes a lot more sense if prescience is actually real. You're explicitly seeing some kind of possible future when you cast forwards.

quote:

There are also cursed sets of blueprints who will generate demonic monstrosities if you try to follow them.Warhammer 40K can be really funny but a lot of people try to purge any fun from it.

I do like this as a semi serious idea too because it follows the idea of summoning circles and satanic symbols, like in the blueprint some circuit layout accidentally makes the sign of the beast and if you build it you end up with EVIL circuits. It's a fun concept, I always like those "what if magic or demons were real," ideas where instead of high fantasy you get very logical use of paranormal powers in the same way we use electricity or nuclear power.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 28, 2020

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

What if it's just series of lobotomized serfs with abacuses

A too-large series of lobotomized serfs with abacuses becoming haunted would be an amazing story hook

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

threelemmings posted:

I do like this as a semi serious idea too because it follows the idea of summoning circles and satanic symbols, like in the blueprint some circuit layout accidentally makes the sign of the beast and if you build it you end up with EVIL circuits. It's a fun concept, I always like those "what if magic or demons were real," ideas where instead of high fantasy you get very logical use of paranormal powers in the same way we use electricity or nuclear power.

This is basically the premise of the Laundry Files by Charles Stross, mathematical equations can bridge dimensions and summon nasty things and now that everyone's got a home computer things are starting to get a little spicy

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

StashAugustine posted:

This is basically the premise of the Laundry Files by Charles Stross, mathematical equations can bridge dimensions and summon nasty things and now that everyone's got a home computer things are starting to get a little spicy

Yeah that's a fun one, I really love "A Colder War" also for a more serious angle the same kind of idea. Alternate dimensions full of unknowable entities? Hell yeah the CIA would use it to smuggle cocaine and MAD consists of literally ending reality.

He is pretty good with the subtle dark humor but I do like the 40k factory made tank screaming for the souls of the innocent as it rolls off the cursed production line as well.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 28, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Patrick Spens posted:

It's because they're trying to recruit disaffected intellectuals who are (for some reason) attracted to the structure of Trisolaran society. The game is a way of teaching people about the Trisolarans without letting on that you're recruiting for space aliens.

oh, sure. after all that is the first kind of human that they made contact with.

Pretty good posted:

The thing with the soldiers in the VR game was a metaphorical depiction

yeah, that's what i was trying to say without actually saying it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

threelemmings posted:

I think unfortunately it can't be that because otherwise other prescients couldn't interfere with seeing the future, and it wouldn't be something you could breed people into being able to avoid since you're just talking about being really good at observing and extrapolating. At that point a no globe would be a machine that somehow keeps people from making educated guesses, it makes a lot more sense if prescience is actually real. You're explicitly seeing some kind of possible future when you cast forwards.
Okay now I'm also responding to the first half of this post- I haven't read the later books so idk how its described but could it be that someone who can also see the future screws up the calculations? This is part of the twist in Minority Report (book at least, haven't seen the movie)- because the commissioner can see the predictions, the act of seeing them changes the future

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Quantum theory was coming out as Dune was written, I feel like Herbert incorporated it into his idea of prescience. Observing the future changes it, locks it in.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It does seem to make logical sense that even if prescience per se doesn't change the future, anyone influential using prescience would, as it would tend to alter their decisions as compared to a state of not having used it.

Obviously even a prescient peasant would change something in the future, but it would be far less likely to have galaxy spanning implications than the guild, BG, or Emperor Messiah using it

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Bloop posted:

Obviously even a prescient peasant would change something in the future, but it would be far less likely to have galaxy spanning implications than the guild, BG, or Emperor Messiah using it
Prescient peasant picked a path of potential possibilities.
A path of potential possibilities prescient peasant picked.
If prescient peasant picked a path of potential possibilities,
Where's the path of potential possibilities prescient peasant picked?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cheesus posted:

:golfclap:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
frank's thing was to be against machine thinking tbh not just thinking machines

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah he predicted modern silicon valley perfectly

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Cheesus posted:

Shaihulud scours spiceblow by the shiftsands Shaihulud scours spiceblow by the shiftsands Shaihulud scours spiceblow by the shiftsands

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

“How do you call among you the little mouse, the mouse that jumps?” Paul asked, remembering the pop-hop of motion at Tuono Basin. He illustrated with one hand. A chuckle sounded through the troop. “We call that one bearer,” Stilgar said.

“Is that the name you wish, Bearer?” Stilgar asked. “I am an Atreides,” Paul whispered, and then louder: “It’s not right that I give up entirely the name my father gave me. Could I be known among you as Paul Bearer?”

“Oh yes.” Stilgar said.

Paul Bearer hefted aloft the golden urn in reply, "Ohhhhhh Yessssss."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Shaihulud scours spiceblow by the shiftsands Shaihulud scours spiceblow by the shiftsands Shaihulud scours spiceblow by the shiftsands

mauddib says voice spells in the holy war mauddib says voice spells in the holy war mauddib says voice spells in the holy war

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
"Beefswelling beefswelling Beefswelling beefswelling beefswelling beefswelling Beefswelling beefswelling" is a grammatically correct sentence in Galactic Standard, often presented as an example of horney ol'Frank.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If you foresee yourself taking over a planet, you're prescient. If you foresee yourself taking over hundreds of planets and establishing a brutal galaxywide theocracy, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If you foresee yourself taking over a planet, you're prescient. If you foresee yourself taking over hundreds of planets and establishing a brutal galaxywide theocracy, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

*in a very Jeff Foxworthy voice*
You may be a Fremen if...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

*in a very Jeff Foxworthy voice*
You may be a Fremen if...

your avatar caused me nostalgia and pain at the same time

if you take the bridge and the key to the edge of the world you can enter the no-space where the prescient bat can't find you

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

exmachina posted:

Yeah he predicted modern silicon valley perfectly

"This nutri-paste has great mouthfeel."

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

The Bloop posted:

your avatar caused me nostalgia and pain at the same time

if you take the bridge and the key to the edge of the world you can enter the no-space where the prescient bat can't find you

my man :respek:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

phasmid posted:

"This nutri-paste has great mouthfeel."

disrupt nutripaste industry forecasts with no-food

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

skasion posted:

disrupt nutripaste industry forecasts with no-food

"At least tell me it's locally sourced."

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

walk without rhythm and your fitbit won't count your steps properly

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

we've created a new app called gomjabbr which uses cutting edge data science and machine learning to kill only animals

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

juggalo baby coffin posted:

we've created a new app called gomjabbr which uses cutting edge data science and machine learning to kill only animals

* trains the human-recognising algorithm exclusively on images of white males in their 30's

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

* trains the human-recognising algorithm exclusively on images of white males in their 30's

everything unrecognized is an animal

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's just say I might consider the possibility you are human if you watch the whole ad without skipping after five seconds

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Mode 7 posted:

I mean yeah you could do something interesting with the Butlerian Jihad or you could just have this

(paragraphs of uninspired dreck)

What utter poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Wizchine posted:

What utter poo poo.

I dunno, might make a passable star wars novel