Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just called my local doctors to book a telephone appointment for an ear infection - "Hello, you are 40th in the queue" :eyepop:

[e]: 146 - 106 places further back in the telephone queue than I currently am.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

sainsburys is costly and shite, lidl is great but I've moved and there's not one near me any more

Not a day goes by where I don't think about it :(

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions.

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1310484575169187841?s=19

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
got my student loan bay-bee

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
people in the replies unironically calling it a lefty show for criticising brexit. finally, the nation can come together and be united in its hatred of the lazy politics comedy show

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I used to work in fresh produce supplying the supermarkets.

We made those bags of prepped veg (think bags of nicely sliced carrots, broccoli and cauliflower florets that you can just stick in the microwave, etc.)

The line was stopped and the packaging swapped over to make stuff for Asda, Waitrose/Ocado, and Co-op. I think after I left (well, was medically retired), they started doing stuff for Aldi or Lidl too.

That is my "Waitrose/Ocado is so much better than the other supermarkets" story.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TACD posted:

Lol how desperately naïve do you have to be to think any negotiations at all have been going on this year. I don’t think they’ve even pretended to do any?

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/0928/1167867-eu-trade-talks/

"Right lads. We will spaff about. Then at the 11th hour we will insist on speeding up negotiations, make a whole bunch of demands and expect that the EU will have because they are too afraid of not reaching a deal.

What do you mean they just said no?"

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

That is my "Waitrose/Ocado is so much better than the other supermarkets" story.

I went shopping in Waitrose for the first time in years last week. It ended up costing me literally 50% more than Tesco for the same food and I was furious about the whole experience. Then I got home and ate it and have to admit the fruit and veg was wildly better than what I get normally. It bloody ought to be for that much more money but it legitimately was - particularly the fresh fruit.

So I'm sure the pre-processed stuff all comes from the same factories but I don't think it's the case for everything.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Bobstar posted:

I wish our customers would install our gear in chilled warehouses.

I mean not really, condensation would be bad. But still, cool your hot stuff people!

recycled paper in chilled warehouse is just an invitation to jam

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

an invitation to jam
This is good for Jeremy Corbyn?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Angepain posted:

people in the replies unironically calling it a lefty show for criticising brexit. finally, the nation can come together and be united in its hatred of the lazy politics comedy show

but if both the left and the right hate them they must be doing something right!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mehall posted:

Counterpoint - I've never lived walking distance from an Aldi or Lidl, and until I moved in with my current gf, had no method of personal transportation

Can't believe you ride on your girlfriends back to get to the supermarket

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are you sure you aren't confusing him with someone else?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ffs

https://twitter.com/Tony_Robinson/status/1310266570850041856?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's a shame. He's been a poo poo for a little while though IIRC

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Everyone's known he's a massive bellend for years though

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That's cause he's a oval office, op

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol non-glasses reading "totally shooting Sgt Matt" honest guv

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

When I lived in Abingdon they refused planning permission to Aldi in case it attracted 'those sorts of people' to town. They've got a Waitrose of course.

Barking, I've got two Lidls and an Aldi in walking distance :sun:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

One of Twitter’s few redeeming features is making it extremely easy to cleanly separate public figures into cunts and non-cunts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Two weeks after the first spike in cases and we're still not seeing much in the way of increased deaths. About 40 a day, same as mid-March.

Of course, exponential curves mean you need to be taking action then or before and not waiting until daily deaths are in the hundreds before acting like the UK did, but this does genuinely seem to be having a lower mortality rate.

It's because it's all students, isn't it, and then when they come home for Christmas it'll be a bloodbath? :ohdear:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Two weeks after the first spike in cases and we're still not seeing much in the way of increased deaths. About 40 a day, same as mid-March.

Of course, exponential curves mean you need to be taking action then or before and not waiting until daily deaths are in the hundreds before acting like the UK did, but this does genuinely seem to be having a lower mortality rate.

It's because it's all students, isn't it, and then when they come home for Christmas it'll be a bloodbath? :ohdear:

Also there's more testing now than during the first spike, so cases were probably higher then without us knowing.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

But they have to allowed home for Christmas, it's like a prison in there!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Here's that letter btw:

https://twitter.com/AmandaPCraig/status/1310193351078088704

To be honest, I think of at least some of the signees aren't really following things and are just "yes I think abuse is bad, and JK is a nice lady who wrote those books, of course I'll sign this letter".

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's never anything saying what she's done so to anyone that doesn't know the full story they are just reminded of twitter trolls shouting at women.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

here's the full list of signatories from the times website:

https://twitter.com/darachos/status/1310249940304752642

Ian McEwan, Tom Stoppard, Lionel Shriver, some other writers, a bunch of random twitter terfs, and - noted important figure - that guy who does Sinfest

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Angepain posted:

Also there's more testing now than during the first spike, so cases were probably higher then without us knowing.

People are getting tested earlier after being contaminated as well. Back in spring, you got tested if the symptoms got bad enough to send you to the hospital. Doctors also have a better idea of how to deal with the disease now.

But yeah, you can't directly compare the official numbers from this spring and the current ones because there were many undiagnosed cases back then. On the other hand, even without increased deaths, more contaminations means more people suffering from lingering effects of the disease for who knows how long.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 28, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

that guy who does Sinfest
Didn't he have an epiphany where he went from 'edgy' comics to being a full blown extremely online feminist?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Guavanaut posted:

The excess deaths are starting to creep back up - https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/static-reports/mortality-surveillance/excess-mortality-in-england-latest.html - as a sidenote I have found it odd that every Sunday there's always a dip in reported infections and it goes up again the day after. I know there's sometimes fewer medical staff on a Sunday, but unless Coronavirus is observing the sabbath I can't see those figures being gold-plated 100% premium real glorious numbers.

The amount of deaths back in March could also have been the first real lead in from coronavirus infections before they started measuring it - I reckon I had it first week of March so it must have been about quite a bit before then as I live in rural Yorkshire, though people are mostly wearing face masks and working from home and shielding much better now. Hopefully everyone who was most likely to die from it has done and the deaths stay as low as possible, but I'm getting a little antsy about this winter.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Here's that letter btw:

https://twitter.com/AmandaPCraig/status/1310193351078088704

To be honest, I think of at least some of the signees aren't really following things and are just "yes I think abuse is bad, and JK is a nice lady who wrote those books, of course I'll sign this letter".

Cool of them not to say what it's about so people just assume it's because its JK Rowling, the national treasure and beloved millionaire

justcola fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 28, 2020

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

Didn't he have an epiphany where he went from 'edgy' comics to being a full blown extremely online feminist?
yeah, and several more where he went full SWERF and TERF

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can see how that could happen if you got into feminism as a sort of redemptive religious experience, being washed in the blood of the Lamb and embracing the most reactionary forms with the zeal of a convert, rather than looking at it as an ideological framework to explain some but not all things, like e.g. Judith Butler.

Kassad posted:

People are getting tested earlier after being contaminated as well. Back in spring, you got tested if the symptoms got bad enough to send you to the hospital. Doctors also have a better idea of how to deal with the disease now.

But yeah, you can't directly compare the official numbers from this spring and the current ones because there were many undiagnosed cases back then. On the other hand, even without increased deaths, more contaminations means more people suffering from lingering effects of the disease for who knows how long.
I can't find a good source of tests per day that catches up to the present spike, but mass testing was allegedly underway from mid-April, so you could compare going forward.

I'm hoping (but acknowledging that it's a hope, rather than an evidenced claim) that the initial infectious dose strongly determines severity and there's something to the theory that mandatory masking causes variolation for otherwise at risk people.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Probs give it another week for the deaths to start spiking. Hospital admissions are noticably spiking in the last week or so.

Edit: seen a couple of sub 30 year olds with horrific disease so far the second time round, didn't see any the first.

Algol Star fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 28, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

justcola posted:

Hopefully everyone who was most likely to die from it has done and the deaths stay as low as possible, but I'm getting a little antsy about this winter.

I don't think that's even remotely possible at this time. Even if you multiply the number of official cases in the UK by 10, it's still less than 10% of the population.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
isn't the lack of deaths simply explained by the first wave including lots of elderly and care home patients and this one being mostly young people?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Dead Goon posted:

I used to work in fresh produce supplying the supermarkets.

We made those bags of prepped veg (think bags of nicely sliced carrots, broccoli and cauliflower florets that you can just stick in the microwave, etc.)

The line was stopped and the packaging swapped over to make stuff for Asda, Waitrose/Ocado, and Co-op. I think after I left (well, was medically retired), they started doing stuff for Aldi or Lidl too.

Friend of mine did QC/GDA breakdowns for a pizza manufacturer a few years back - it supplied something like 80% of frozen pizza sold in the UK, it was all the same ingredients with a slight variance in amount depending on how posh the supermarket was, and they just got branched off into different conveyors for packaging. Can't remember if that was in Dublin or Blackpool though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Julio Cruz posted:

isn't the lack of deaths simply explained by the first wave including lots of elderly and care home patients and this one being mostly young people?

Partially yes. I think it's a combination of many factors, like age, social distancing, better healthcare understanding etc.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TW: Economist, but on their analysis the current wave of infections is just way smaller than the first one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well at least I've got an answer to

Guavanaut posted:

I can't find a good source of tests per day that catches up to the present spike
(for a given value of 'good source' pee pee doo doo it is a bad magazine and all that :v:) so thank you for that.

Do not like the trajectory on that line though, so it could be we're only a week or so away from bad things.

I'll keep my hopes up for in the mask hypothesis because I trust a piece of cloth more than any of the cabinet at present.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The explanation being that testing back in April was so inaccessible that they were only catching a small fraction of the actual cases so we still have a way to go before we actually beat that first peak despite the new cases per day getting close to the recorded figures for back then, but with exponential growth and no actual strong prevention measures being taken it's just a waiting game

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

He went batshit, yes.