Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
If the game doesn't warn you that you are about to perform a high-risk incestuous marriage, it is generally ok? I am about to hook my son up with his first cousin, once removed in order to secure a claim to the Kingdom that an independent member of my dynasty lost. The bad genes mechanic is a simple binary check, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

MikeC posted:

If the game doesn't warn you that you are about to perform a high-risk incestuous marriage, it is generally ok? I am about to hook my son up with his first cousin, once removed in order to secure a claim to the Kingdom that an independent member of my dynasty lost. The bad genes mechanic is a simple binary check, right?

Here's the relevant code

code:
INBREEDING_ANCESTOR_GENERATIONS = 4
# How many generations are checked for common ancestors of the both parents (incl. parents) for the purposes of getting the inbreeding trait and the pure-blooded trait
INBRED_CHANCE_ANCESTOR_COUNT_LEVELS = { 15 17 20 22 }	
# Numbers of common ancestors defining different level of inbreeding chance (one extra level above the max value)
INBRED_CHANCE_FACTOR_LEVELS = { 0.33 0.75 1 2 3 }		
# Inbreeding chance factors for different level. The final chance in percent is given by the number of common ancestors X corresponding level factor X inbreeding chance modifier

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Is there any point to founding a holy order aside from checking something off a list? They get a barony, but that barony then gets added to my number of holdings. I though maybe the first time I did it and I gave them a castle it might be because feudal rulers can hold castle baronies, so I dumped the first one I made and decades later founded a new order and gave them a city, but that still counts. I also never get to hire them because some chuckle gently caress in the middle of nowhere hires them the moment they're free and then they all get slaughtered anyways.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
For anyone interested, Josh "rope kid" Sawyer is presently streaming his first try at CK3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"I think I should start a new game and make a clown."

A savant at this, I see

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Is there any point to founding a holy order aside from checking something off a list? They get a barony, but that barony then gets added to my number of holdings. I though maybe the first time I did it and I gave them a castle it might be because feudal rulers can hold castle baronies, so I dumped the first one I made and decades later founded a new order and gave them a city, but that still counts. I also never get to hire them because some chuckle gently caress in the middle of nowhere hires them the moment they're free and then they all get slaughtered anyways.

I found it useful when I reformed Asatru. Since my religion was small, they actually made a difference -- yeah, I didn't get to use them much, but it was because they were constantly busy bashing Catholics for my vassals and allies. It's less of a benefit for you, and more of a gift to your religion.

It'd be cool if being their patron earned you piety when they got hired or something. Also, if there were more ways to interact with them, like donating troops and equipment or having them go off and carve out a realm of their own, Teutonic Order style.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Who is Debbie Lane

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It'd be cool if you could found mercenaries in general. Send a kid whose like 4th in line for titles out into the world with some money to make it on his own as mercenaries and/or bandits

edit: can vikings still send their sons and vassals to the varangian guard?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 28, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Who is Debbie Lane

John Galt's sister

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Had a son and a daughter when my wife dropped dead at 31. As my longest serving king was a sterile asexual whose heir was the only son with many sisters who never married matrilineally. So I don’t have many relatives. I take the chance to find a 30 something genius because I want kids but I don’t really want sons.

Married a 34 year old. Seduced her quickly to ensure I could still have kids. First one out is a daughter. She’s also lusty, so every child comes with doubt that I have to challenge her on. Turns out she was sleeping with a guy but the kid wasn’t his. Stress nonetheless.

Next kid is a son. Not ideal! But I have become emperor of Britannia so the crowns divvy up nicely.

Two more daughters with the second coming at age 40. Good for me because I can start dropping ladies on thrones.

But lo! At forty loving five she gets pregnant and gives me another son. And now I have to split Britannia three ways. I am....not happy.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

Ice Fist posted:

The best use of Holy Orders that I have found is in a small reformed religion.

Giving your vassals an extra 2000 men to help with world conquering can be neat, but rarely will they help you.

Although once you get to Empire level you are probably unstoppable with near infinite money and piety so what I started doing is forming Holy Orders in newly conquered territories and then giving them away.

Zunism currently has 20 Holy Orders with the largest being 10000 men strong. Although at this point I have 500,000 levies so its still not much.

e: Also not sure if this is a bug or intended, but does anyone else have some of their Holy Orders names showing up in magenta?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

lmao the Caliph got beaten up by the Armenians so hard the Tulunids converted to Coptic Christianity because they presumably too embarrassed to be seen with him.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I bounced off CK2 pretty hard as I don't really enjoy sandbox games where it gives you no instruction or overall goal other than one's you set yourself. Does the game with anything that can be reasonably considered a campaign at all, or is it all entirely sandboxy?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I keep getting the message that I'm no longer my dynasty head, but then I check the dynasty screen and I am the head. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Weasling Weasel posted:

I bounced off CK2 pretty hard as I don't really enjoy sandbox games where it gives you no instruction or overall goal other than one's you set yourself. Does the game with anything that can be reasonably considered a campaign at all, or is it all entirely sandboxy?

Total sandbox. Just like CK2 in that regard.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
CK3 is more of the same, so if you didn't like that aspect of CK2 I don't see you enjoying this game either.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Weasling Weasel posted:

The only "Campaigns" in ck2 or ck3 are basically just achievement hunting, which is also just a goal you set yourself. But there's lots of things that you're unlikely to do by accident. So it's up to you if deciding that you're going to form Portugal as Nuno II Vimaranes is a campaign or not.

But if you didn't like ck2, ck3 is just ck2 with fewer satan worshippers.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Get yourself some really stupidly long 1.1 patch notes

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

LordMune posted:

Yay, thanks

quote:

- It is now practically impossible to abduct someone you're at war with, with a lesser penalty to their vassals/courtiers
Good, this really seemed like cheating.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Weasling Weasel posted:

If you didint enjoy CK2, theres a 0% chance you will like 3

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LordMune posted:

Lotta good changes in there

quote:

- Slashed the opinion modifier from Diplomacy by half
- Giving away a holding of the wrong type as an ambitious or greedy character will no longer incur stress
- Outbreaks of heresy now increase the Fervor of the affected Faith much more positively. This means that large faiths are more likely to bounce back to max Fervor after a Heresy outbreak.
- It is now practically impossible to abduct someone you're at war with, with a lesser penalty to their vassals/courtiers
- Outnumbering the enemy now further increases the survivability of your knights
- Rebalanced debt so that it now comes in levels. The higher the level, the harsher the penalties. Penalties include levy reductions, to make severely indebted realms collapse easier
- Vastly empowered the Mongol Empire's armies. Now you will truly learn to fear the horsemen of the steppe!
- The AI is now much more likely to request money from their Head of Faith, especially if their HoF is very rich
- The holder of Jerusalem is now unlikely to accept Populist demands
- Viking vassals are now more restricted when it comes to overseas conquests
- Added more restrictions to the check for if characters are willing to cheat on their partners
- The AI should now be more inclined to build Castle holding upgrades

There's the killing of the "own everything" strat

quote:

- The maximum penalty for being over your domain limit is now -100% taxes/levies, increased from -90%.
- If you vastly exceed your Domain Limit for more than one year (the grace period for new inheritances/conquests), all buildings will deactivate until your domain limit is lowered.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Did they fix the fact that being over your vassal limit takes a really long time to recalculate making it really tough to work out if you've transferred enough vassals?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I'm very biased, but CK2 was mostly borderline unplayably impenetrable to me while CK3 is definitely comprehensible. That helps with the fun. :shrug:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Dwesa posted:

Yay, thanks

Good, this really seemed like cheating.

quote:

- Restricted the Intrigue(Scheming) event "Confused Heritage" to players only, as the AI was going a bit wild with it and turning everyone into bastards unnecessarily
That was pretty funny

quote:

- The maximum penalty for being over your domain limit is now -100% taxes/levies, increased from -90%.
- If you vastly exceed your Domain Limit for more than one year (the grace period for new inheritances/conquests), all buildings will deactivate until your domain limit is lowered.
Does this completely nerf North Korea mode?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

quote:

(E.G., it makes no sense to ask the Pope for money while you're at war with her)

quote:

her

:aaaaa:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
- People are now less eager to marry people they are terrified off
- People that are terrified of you are now more likely to agree to marriage, as long as they don't have to marry you

Better watch that dread if you're unmarried

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I dig the buffs to the Mongol Empire, Temujin always pathetically failed in my games

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I didn't like CK2 at all (played maybe 15 min), but really like CK3...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Walh Hara posted:

I didn't like CK2 at all (played maybe 15 min), but really like CK3...

LordMune posted:

I'm very biased, but CK2 was mostly borderline unplayably impenetrable to me while CK3 is definitely comprehensible. That helps with the fun. :shrug:

Alright, I guess I was wrong

Still seems a kinda weird to me, they are mostly the same game

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elias_Maluco posted:

I suspect a lot of it is the lack of DLC. I've already played more CK3 than CK2 just because there was so much going on in CK2

Coming in on the ground floor has helped my enjoyment quite a bit.

vvvv That's fair too, the new characters are great

Azhais fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 28, 2020

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The character art is a hundred times better, so I actually feel really invested in all my characters.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Double post, but nope - the crusade ended and I was given control of the county. So my worries were for naught, but the pope was loving dumb. My poor vassals got caught in the middle, I destroyed like three of my dukes armies beacuse they were all allied trying to get this county for themselves before the pope rode in and said it was a crusade.

That sounds like a win-win to me. Crusade pot of gold, plus weaker vassals? Deus vult!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Koramei posted:

The character art is a hundred times better, so I actually feel really invested in all my characters.

This should not be underrated. In CK2 even when you own every portrait DLC it's all clone wars between people in different hats and skill color. It only became better after the last expansion when a lot of traits became visible on the portraits Here portraits actually work, those characters feel like characters, not just small jpgs with mostly unpronounceable names.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

PancakeTransmission posted:

That was pretty funny

Does this completely nerf North Korea mode?

I believe it does because building and stacking building effects was one of the keys to success for it. If all buildings disable then that would kill you MAA effectiveness.

Glad I got my North Korea in, its time to branch out.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Weasling Weasel posted:

The game lacks for an explicit campaign, but like with CK2 you can always try to go for the achievements. You can also set tasks for yourself like forming certain empires or going for certain big decisions - like uniting the Slavs or healing the schism. Don't feel bad about dropping a game before 1453. It's an arbitrary date and a pointless slog to get to for nothing but maybe an achievement the once.

Ultimately though if you don't enjoy the sandboxy story generator focus of the game you're probably not gonna enjoy CK3.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pope Joan confirmed?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's hidden away in the patch notes, but they're fixing weight loss.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

You will no longer think less or more of yourself depending on how good you are at romancing someone else

Wow, that's an egregiously blatant break with reality, Paradox.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jedit posted:

It's hidden away in the patch notes, but they're fixing weight loss.

I wasn't sure if that note meant they were fixing weight loss, or fixing being malnourished and fat

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I don't see any notes about adjusting the AI under female-dominated religions, so it seems issues with matrilineal marriage are still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

I don't see any notes about adjusting the AI under female-dominated religions, so it seems issues with matrilineal marriage are still a thing.

they were there, you might just have missed them understandably