Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gently caress off, idiot

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Exactly which US law allows the arbitrary detainment based on ethnicity? You know, like what China is doing right now.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

rudatron posted:

Leftists: People should have the right to self-determination free of Imperialism
Also Leftists: Lmao China conquered Tibet for its own good, Han Man's Burden.

you seem really mad whenever people in asia leave the grasp of their oppressors why is that?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rudatron posted:

Exactly which US law allows the arbitrary detainment based on ethnicity? You know, like what China is doing right now.

i guess american minorities are just uniquely criminal huh?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

uninterrupted posted:

you seem really mad whenever people in asia leave the grasp of their oppressors why is that?

Are you wearing a tophat and a monocle right now?

rudatron posted:

I hope they do, and I hope they recognize your attempts to relitigate (irrelevant) probation of an opponent, as a blatant attempt, by you, to derail and distract. Something you wouldn't be doing, if you had anything meaningful to say, on the current topic.

It is a pretty bad rap sheet, dude.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

rudatron posted:

Well if you look at the Chinese constitution you will find that minority rights are in fact guaranteed, so no discrimination can be happening. Check and mate.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

genericnick posted:

Well if you look at the Chinese constitution you will find that minority rights are in fact guaranteed, so no discrimination can be happening. Check and mate.

this.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Most people convicted and sent to jail don't even get trials, they're pressured into plea deals by prosecutors. A huge amount are in prison pre-trial and can't meet bail. Then there's the concentration camps for migrants on the US border. But yeah sure, everyone the US imprisons is a criminal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

It imprisons people who commit crimes, you cannot be sent to jail purely for your ethnicity, and it's absurd to suggest otherwise.

lmao forever

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

genericnick posted:

Chinese citizens do not have the right to litigate based on racial discrimination, try again.

uninterrupted posted:

Not at all: I'd love for the people of Tibet to overthrow their Chinese oppressors. They have a right to self determination, after all.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Chomskyan posted:

Most people convicted and sent to jail don't even get trials, they're pressured into plea deals by prosecutors. A huge amount are in prison pre-trial and can't meet bail. Then there's the concentration camps for migrants on the US border. But yeah sure, everyone the US imprisons is a criminal
'Pressured' with what exactly? Answer: physical evidence or witnesses. Assuming 'plea deal = innocent' is absurd.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

rudatron posted:

I hope they do, and I hope they recognize your attempts to relitigate (irrelevant) probation of an opponent, as a blatant attempt, by you, to derail and distract. Something you wouldn't be doing, if you had anything meaningful to say, on the current topic.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont remember imperialists rationalizing the colonization of india and africa by saying they were brutal theocracies practicing serfdom

that would have been a very strange argument to make given that the colonizing countries were closer to serfdom and theocracy than any of the places they were colonizing

I dunno why you don't remember it because they pretty much did. Charles Grant literally said it is their concern to "free" the Indian people "from the "evils" of "feudal oppression", etc etc then writes way too many words about how backwards their religion is.

I don't want to be a dick about it but they just wrote so, so, so much about that. If you don't remember it then I really don't know what to tell you.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
LOL the thing Chinese people find the most puzzling about whites is their Tom Buchanan obsession with racial purity and the need to establish homologous ethnostates in every part of the world. Successful multi-ethnic and multi-cultural countries are incomprehensible to them and must be destroyed at every opportunity. It's so loving bizarre that there's just no good response to it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A country that is 91.6% the same ethnicity, and currently in the process of mass indoctrinating and persecuting ethnic and religious minorities, I think has very little to teach anyone about multi-ethnic or multi-cultural societies.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BrainDance posted:

I dunno why you don't remember it because they pretty much did. Charles Grant literally said it is their concern to "free" the Indian people "from the "evils" of "feudal oppression", etc etc then writes way too many words about how backwards their religion is.

I don't want to be a dick about it but they just wrote so, so, so much about that. If you don't remember it then I really don't know what to tell you.

ah yes how silly of me to forget about charles grant an architect of imperialism so prominent his wikipedia page was obviously written by an indian person who speaks english as a second language

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the whole "but what have romans done for us joke" line of thinking is dumb bullshit, because you can just offer help to people outside your borders without also invading them at the same time

i'm mostly ignorant about tibet's present or past issues but china helping tibetans remove feudalism doesn't excuse an occupation, imo

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Truga posted:

the whole "but what have romans done for us joke" line of thinking is dumb bullshit, because you can just offer help to people outside your borders without also invading them at the same time

i'm mostly ignorant about tibet's present or past issues but china helping tibetans remove feudalism doesn't excuse an occupation, imo

Tibetan separatism is pretty much wholly imported from the US the “occupation” talk is propaganda.

same way people say russia “occupied” Crimea by allowing people to vote to leave their country, and vote to join Russia.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Some Guy TT posted:

ah yes how silly of me to forget about charles grant an architect of imperialism so prominent his wikipedia page was obviously written by an indian person who speaks english as a second language

He's moderately prominent but prominent enough that his name will come up if British imperialism or the East India Company is your thing, and yeah you should have at least not forgotten some of the stuff he's said if you are so sure of how the British talked about their imperialist adventures. I can't speak for his wiki being lovely (that's such a weird way to judge a historical character, I've never heard of that) but, you can check out what he wrote yourself if you want.

This is the problem with this thread, and I know I've said this before but it's still true. I'm sure we got an India thread or a Kazakhstan thread or something, and I even have some opinions about modern India, but I don't post in those threads because I don't know poo poo about them now. Not enough that'd I'd think I should speak with absolutely any authority on them at all, at least.

And here you are when faced with a British politician who said some poo poo that disagrees with you, on something that should be inconsequential, and you.... check out his wiki, decide it's a poo poo wiki, and so lol the guy doesn't matter. It's a weird thing to even disagree with, of course the British were jackasses about India.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Tibet was a happy and peaceful part of the Republic of China up until 1949 when it simultaneously became both independent and also under "Chinese occupation."

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

rudatron posted:

It imprisons people who commit crimes, you cannot be sent to jail purely for your ethnicity, and it's absurd to suggest otherwise.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Honky is prohibited

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
it was very fine posting by using ethnicity instead of race, but rudatron forgot about the black irish

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
they even made up b*llshit laws to prosecute big italian families

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Tibet was a happy and peaceful part of the Republic of China up until 1949 when it simultaneously became both independent and also under "Chinese occupation."

yeah so have a referendum then if it's so clear cut, this doesn't seem like a hard problem

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Truga posted:

yeah so have a referendum then if it's so clear cut, this doesn't seem like a hard problem

What's this, Tibet voted for.....Brexit?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

What's this, Tibet voted for.....Brexit?

yeah and now brexit is a comedy and a warning story for the kids. AND, brits get to have self-determination! everyone wins, really :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

VomitOnLino posted:

I'd just like to throw the fact out there, that unlike the glorious United States of America, to my knowledge, China has bombed exactly 0 people and has caused the displacement of exactly 0 people from their home-country. Also I find it very funny that Americans immediately start foaming at the mouth on the mention of "camps", how about you clean your own messes first America?

Somebody forgot about vietnam

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BrainDance posted:

He's moderately prominent but prominent enough that his name will come up if British imperialism or the East India Company is your thing, and yeah you should have at least not forgotten some of the stuff he's said if you are so sure of how the British talked about their imperialist adventures. I can't speak for his wiki being lovely (that's such a weird way to judge a historical character, I've never heard of that) but, you can check out what he wrote yourself if you want.

This is the problem with this thread, and I know I've said this before but it's still true. I'm sure we got an India thread or a Kazakhstan thread or something, and I even have some opinions about modern India, but I don't post in those threads because I don't know poo poo about them now. Not enough that'd I'd think I should speak with absolutely any authority on them at all, at least.

And here you are when faced with a British politician who said some poo poo that disagrees with you, on something that should be inconsequential, and you.... check out his wiki, decide it's a poo poo wiki, and so lol the guy doesn't matter. It's a weird thing to even disagree with, of course the British were jackasses about India.

there are literally several centuries worth of british jackasses about india and most of them were jackasses for the very capitalist reason of exploiting laborers they didnt bother with the pretense of saying that serfdom and theocracy were bad when they had the much more straightforward justification of white supremacy and serfdom and theocracy improved their bottom line

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Truga posted:

people in tibet are perfectly fine being part of china but sure, have a referendum so whitey can get convinced and/or immediately call it invalid if the results aren’t what they want

THS
Sep 15, 2017

a truly stirring defense of the US justice system by rudatron. looking forward to their return to this thread, that was the best thing posted in this thread in months

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Why is Mongolia its own country btw, shouldn't they also be Chinese? China controlled that land until the Soviets stole it post ww2

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
The weirdest assertion so far itt is the idea that adults can't learn new languages. A process that millions undergo everyday and that dates back to the dawn of language itself.

Grapplejack posted:

Why is Mongolia its own country btw, shouldn't they also be Chinese? China controlled that land until the Soviets stole it post ww2

Would you please learn basic history before expounding on poo poo you obviously haven't read about

Like seriously, wikipedia is right there

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Somebody forgot about vietnam

Yeah, China did quite a few blatant dick moves. Backing Cambodia against Vietnam, that first border war against India.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/MarkHiggie1/status/1309845732887846912

oh yeah, that'll show Xi Jinping

THS
Sep 15, 2017

rename it “Winnie the Pooh City” in all english language publications for maximum pwnage

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dreddout posted:

Would you please learn basic history before expounding on poo poo you obviously haven't read about

Like seriously, wikipedia is right there

Look they were ruled by the qing until the xinhai rebellion, China has plenty of claim to them. Same with Tibet.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Grapplejack posted:

Look they were ruled by the qing until the xinhai rebellion, China has plenty of claim to them. Same with Tibet.

Let's just suppose again that this is a good faith question. I already posted a few pages back that the modern state of Mongolia is a thing that was made up out of thin air by the Soviet Union in order to grab land and create a buffer state between it and China. More "Mongolians" live in China than in "Mongolia". The official language of Mongolia is written in Cyrillic while in China Mongolian is still taught in the old Tibetan script. It's basically an Eastern version of Moldova and basically has no reason to exist.

The Chinese aren't making any noise about it because like most normal and sane countries in the world the People's Republic of China has no unresolved territorial disputes on land with any of its neighbors except for India. Since the PRC's territorial claims have generally remained consistent throughout its history, this is easily done as it is with virtually every other country in the world. US state media likes to paint China as some kind of suddenly resurgent 1930s Germany or Japan that's just making up new claims as it goes along.

India claims to have a territorial dispute with China because it continues to make fantastical claims about basically 1/3 of Tibet actually having always been a part of [some Indian state from the 17th century or something]. China has no response to this since the already control effectively all the territory in question and the Indians can do nothing to alter this other than occasionally send some poorly clothed untouchables to get roughed up and then freeze to death in the dark after fleeing. The Chinese still lay claim to basically a few hill tops that Indians currently occupy but they're basically uninhabited and the Chinese would probably just let them be if the Indians would agree to some broader settlement of the border, since they're just referred to as "border disputes" and none of those random hilltops are "inseparable parts of China" like Taiwan is, but there is no advantage to India doing so since it costs them nothing to keep making their claims.

Throatwarbler has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Sep 28, 2020

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Rabelais D posted:

What's your point here? The rich people got away with it (of course they did, capitalism is broken) so therefore we shouldn't even try to speak out against injustice, as is the case in China, where only foreign injustices are publicised?

How is that true. It seems like China regularly fights against corruption (including private-public corruption) and is publicized.
https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3044560/chinas-richest-tycoons-hit-debt-defaults-arrests-and-suicides
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/01/why-do-chinese-billionaires-keep-ending-up-in-prison/272633/

Imagine if we had a "kill pigs list" for our billionaires.

But I guess for all we know is that this "corruption" is a power struggle between oligarchs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Let's just suppose again that this is a good faith question. I already posted a few pages back that the modern state of Mongolia is a thing that was made up out of thin air by the Soviet Union in order to grab land and create a buffer state between it and China. More "Mongolians" live in China than in "Mongolia". The official language of Mongolia is written in Cyrillic while in China Mongolian is still taught in the old Tibetan script. It's basically an Eastern version of Moldova and basically has no reason to exist.

The Chinese aren't making any noise about it because like most normal and sane countries in the world the People's Republic of China has no unresolved territorial disputes on land with any of its neighbors except for India. Since the PRC's territorial claims have generally remained consistent throughout its history, this is easily done as it is with virtually every other country in the world. US state media likes to paint China as some kind of suddenly resurgent 1930s Germany or Japan that's just making up new claims as it goes along.

Sort of. A large part of China's current claims are over sea areas rather than land, though they've had land dispute with most of their neighbors that didn't get resolved until relatively recently (Russia in 04, Vietnam in 08 iirc). The big sea disputes are basically China flexing it's nuclear stockpile since states can't really retaliate against them traditionally.