Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I personally cannot wait to see new players experience demon's souls equip load mechanics complete with ya boy stockpile thomas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just don't put the controller down anywhere near him

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I personally cannot wait to see new players experience demon's souls equip load mechanics complete with ya boy stockpile thomas

Considering it's a complete remake of the game I would not be at all surprised if they took carry load out round the back and put it out its misery, that's one mechanic which just had zero positive value at all

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

IronicDongz posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Just don't put the controller down anywhere near him

So I am trying to go into the remake completely blind, but I am wondering if they "fixed" stuff like this or not. I'm basically wondering what the term "Remake" vs "Remaster" implies. Did they fix drop rates for Pure Bladestone? Is there a way to get Thomas to forgive you if you accidentally whack him with a weapon? The terms remake and remaster are fuzzy, since Remaster implies a graphical upgrade, but the Dark Souls Remaster made some changes to online matchmaking, etc. and did NOT fix small minor jank, like the missing stair model on the way to Ceaseless, missing textures in Lost Izalith, or that loving branch etc. In some cases the jank is part of the charm, but perhaps since I played Demon's Souls after Dark Souls, Demon's to me always felt like a prototype in some ways. Like - it just wasn't all quite there yet. So I am wondering if "Remake" implies they will polish up and fix actual mechanics.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I cant imagine they'll keep item burden, but all of Bluepoints other remakes/ports have been the same game with a new coat of paint so who knows

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
It will be the exact same game, and engaging in multiplayer will still cost you soul levels. Mark my words for I am right.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I like The Gutter. :shrug:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

anyway I can't wait for demon's souls to come out again so everyone who never played it can have new things to complain about like world tendency and grass farming

I'm genuinely excited to take a level in galaxy brain to understand how it works.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

goblin week posted:

It will be the exact same game, and engaging in multiplayer will still cost you soul levels. Mark my words for I am right.

It would be funny if the incredibly griefy PVP options were left untouched and intact, would love to see the same people who'll spend 45 minutes kiting an invader around a bonfire to avoid dying have to deal with the Scraping Spear and Soulsucker

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It'd be fun to see everyone's reactions to how easy and janky Demon's Souls is after the initial descriptions of it always talked about the ball-crushing difficulty when it first came out, but Demon's Souls deserves some polish, too. I think they'll remove the carry weight limit since that's an easy fix and everyone hates it, but who knows about the other elements.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah tbh I'm in no rush to play the remake, the franchise has come a long way since Demon's and even with some touch ups I expect it's still going to feel like a bit of a dinosaur

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 27, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think it'll depend on what "Fractured Mode" ends up being. I assume that's going to be some mechanic that alters the base game in some way to make it harder, but we don't know yet how drastically it will change the mechanics or boss fights or whatever.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

multijoe posted:

Yeah tbh I'm in no rush to play the remake, the franchise has come a long since Demon's and even with some touch ups I expect it's still going to feel like a bit of a dinosaur

It depends on the execution. They've redone a lot/all of the animations, going by the gameplay footage, and Demon's was actually a good bit faster than Dark Souls and less stiff than Dark Souls 2- up until Bloodborne it was my favorite combat in the series, so if the first two Dark Souls games are worth revisiting, then so is Demon's.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I thought i read an article where its more RE2 than DS1 remaster? The gameplay footage they've shown would lead me to believe that as well.

Soul tendency was the dumbest thing I'm not looking forward to that again.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

multijoe posted:

Considering it's a complete remake of the game I would not be at all surprised if they took carry load out round the back and put it out its misery, that's one mechanic which just had zero positive value at all

False, it is cool to pick and choose what weapons you want to take into a level like gearing up for an expedition

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Its not cool to play blind and be unable to pick up all of an armor set (looking at you brushwood set) and have to leave some of it behind or discard resources to pick it up. Oh and if you don't take all of the set it will disappear when you leave.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

Dark Souls II is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dark souls 2 is buoyed by its DLC having the absolute best areas in any souls game. And also the worst.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
are we really gonna do this again

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Every few pages.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Joe Man posted:

Discuss dark souls in the dark souls thread?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Crow posted:

Discuss dark souls in the dark souls thread?

It is pretty funny that people ask questions about and argue over DS2 more in the DS1 and DS3 threads than anyone posts in the DS2 thread

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 28, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

The Joe Man posted:

it's as constant as the cycles between the age of fire and darkness

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm not normal but that didn't bother me at all when it happened. Like if you didn't figure out how they were doing poo poo by the time you got to Heide's Tower then... I'm sorry.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The nonsensical area transitions are an intentional design decisions that represent your hollowing character forgetting long segments of time as they travel across Drangleic

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

feelix posted:

The nonsensical area transitions are an intentional design decisions that represent your hollowing character forgetting long segments of time as they travel across Drangleic

1) They're not intentional, they just ran out of time and had to throw something together to get it out the door

2) This doesn't work at all in a open ended exploration game where you remain in complete control of your character and can double back on yourself at any time. You can't just ride the Earthen Peak lift up and down and say 'ah yes, the ravages of dementia'

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It certainly wasn’t the original intention, but it’s a great “get lemons, make lemonade” move by the director that stepped in to get the game on track.

I also never had any issues with the open world messing with the themes of loss of self in that game. Sorry to hear you couldn’t!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Do people actually seriously care about that level transition? I thought it was something goofy people joked about?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't particularly care about the Earthen Peak transition or any of the others but 'it's actually good because it's showing your character is going insane!' has always been a hell of a reach

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 28, 2020

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The transition is bad, though. The player knows they're in a windmill, they know they are going up. You can bullshit some stuff about Heide or whatever because you go there through a tunnel and it really does feel way more like a gameplay convention (just don't look back at the entrance from the cathedral). With the Earthen Peak elevator it's so beyond absurd that you instead get the feeling that something magical is going on, like you are passing through a portal and transporting to a different dimension. But you aren't. It's just another place in Drangleic. There is no indication that something magical is going to happen, and there is no later explanation that something magical happened. So all you're left with is nonsense.

It's funny as hell and I love it for that but there's nothing wrong in recognising that it is, in fact, bad.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dark Souls III: 'ah yes, the ravages of dementia'

That needs to be patched in as a message. We need a thread where we only communicate with in game templates

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Necrothatcher posted:

Do people actually seriously care about that level transition? I thought it was something goofy people joked about?
it's more like people don't like the level and world design in general and that's the easiest thing to specifically talk about. it doesn't help that that comes at the end of earthen peak which is a really boring ugly area

multijoe posted:

I don't particularly care about the Earthen Peak transition or any of the others but 'it's actually good because it's showing your character is going insane!' has always been a hell of a reach
There's a lot of stuff about ds2 that is unfinished and it's well known that the game was rushed so stuff like that has always been a rationalization.

the ds2 dissected videos are good looks at some of this stuff, this one is my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_YcEvpAafE

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

My favorite part of DS2's rushed production is definitely The Gutter's weird rear end garbage pillars. I didn't even notice that they were so poorly put together until I saw the DS2 Dissected video, but my god; that's some top tier crap. I'm shocked they didn't just replace it with normal grey rocks given how little of it you can actually see most of the time.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

IronicDongz posted:

it's more like people don't like the level and world design in general and that's the easiest thing to specifically talk about. it doesn't help that that comes at the end of earthen peak which is a really boring ugly area

Earthen Peak to me was always the peak (ha-ha!) of DS2's rushed areas in terms of how much you can tell they had to fill in and patch together from disconnected parts. Like, why are there desert sorceresses there? Why are there grave wardens? Oh I guess we'll drop the manikins here since we couldn't finish the area they were supposed to be in that walked up to the Iron Keep. The Shaded Woods is uglier and shallower overall, but you can at least see the that they had a more coherent theming to the enemies there.

But seriously pointing to the sky volcano elevator as some ultimate own about DS2's eternal badness is a tired meme. The transition itself isn't the main issue. Other games have had sudden and drastic shifts of topography caused by moving in a bizarre direction spatially and an unrealistically short distance (the shift in the Tower of Latria between 3-1 and 3-2, the shift from the Astral Clocktower to the Fishing Village, etc.) They just had time to sell those changes better and fit them together thematically in a way people could accept. Just going "sky volcano, game bad!" just isn't as fun to me as actually picking apart the seams caused by the bungled development of 2 and contrasting it with how the other games approached the same problem, I suppose.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I post a silly picture and a debate erupts. I was just trying to get a modest chuckle, drat.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

I post a silly picture and a debate erupts. I was just trying to get a modest chuckle, drat.

Let me try!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

The DS2 area transition argument is still as heated as the top of Earthern Peak

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I've never been able to figure out why people think the Iron Keep transition is so out of place when you've gone through so many nonsensical area transitions before that point. I mean, you wake up at the beginning of the game in a big swirling darkness that is literally called "Things Betwixt." It is a game where you literally enter the memories of dead things. I don't really think it's all that out of place to consider that time and space do not function in linear and causal ways in Drangleic. The game's a drat fever dream and it's awesome and the music in Majula is so good. But it's weird, real weird, weird even on the scale of Dark Souls games.

What's weird to me is people complaining about the Gutter. I get hating Black Gulch, because, well, it's really terrible, but the Gutter is rad and slowly making your way through it, lighting all the torches--that's fun and scary and makes it one of my favorite areas in the game. I guess now that I think about it one of my other favorite areas is No Man's Wharf, so I guess what I really like is torches.

edit: also I believe the next scheduled "Dark Souls 2 is the best and/or worst" discussion is next week in the Dark Souls 1 thread

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I kinda love the Gutter for the change up in enemy encounters. I know people bag on the hollows being the only enemy type, but I liked the shift to having to deal with frail dudes in the shadows trying to surprise me with stinky shivs.